Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

KozmoNaut posted:

If you have hereditary high cholesterol like I do and you drink multiple cups everyday, be aware that brewing methods without paper filters will let cafestol and kahweol through. They're terpenes that have been shown to increase serum cholesterol.

This may explain why mine is 172 when it was under 150.

Which is still a drat site better then the 250 and climbing when I was 35 years younger. Massive change in my diet back in 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the future is great, woo!
https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/intelligence-led-policing/

quote:

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco took office in 2011 with a bold plan: to create a cutting-edge intelligence program that could stop crime before it happened.

What he actually built was a system to continuously monitor and harass Pasco County residents, a Tampa Bay Times investigation has found.

First the Sheriff’s Office generates lists of people it considers likely to break the law, based on arrest histories, unspecified intelligence and arbitrary decisions by police analysts.

Then it sends deputies to find and interrogate anyone whose name appears, often without probable cause, a search warrant or evidence of a specific crime.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

What's his username?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's his username?

Genocide Explainer

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

I can see multiple violations of the 4th and 5th in that article. Surprised the ACLU isn't on that.

Y'know I've got a great idea. Florida ought to extend its castle doctrine to cops: if cops enter someone's property without a warrant, it should be treated as a home invasion and the occupants should be allowed to use lethal force with no legal repercussions. Given it's Florida that might make cops think twice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cops cannot conceive of a context in which they would concede to a criminal.

They always win the firefight in their heads.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I only have a generic nespresso pod machine for when I am in a hurry, normally I used a generic manual espresso machine that a lot of people would complain " have to look and turn off, no auto turn off, cant operate steamer without reading manual " and it was cheap.
I do have a refillable capsule for the pod machine but it is nowhere as good coffee using it than my manual machine.

As for lightbulbs I have some in the living room so that it dims them if the TV is playing something HDR. mine are zigbee( generic zigbee bulbs and a hue hub), I could do that with a smart switch but - the condo HOA will gently caress me up if I do anything electrical without asking.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So I discovered something weird with Google's predictive typing. If you click through enough poo poo sentences appear.

Example:

Cheat 😉🤣😛 and a piece and I was like oh my gosh 😂😜🤣 is a good response from your end and you are not able that I can get a room and I was just wondering 😃 is the only thing I have is a good response from your end and what is the address 🤣😃 I just got home from work 😃😹😃🥺😂😜🥺🤣🥺 and a piece from last night 😘😉😘💕😘😁😁 and I are no longer interested than I will share you 😌🐱☺️😃😀😌😁

It seems to be based on the first word typed. In this case I said "Cheat" as the specific word and it results in things like "i can get a room" being constructed 1 word at a time.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So I discovered something weird with Google's predictive typing. If you click through enough poo poo sentences appear.

Example:

Cheat 😉🤣😛 and a piece and I was like oh my gosh 😂😜🤣 is a good response from your end and you are not able that I can get a room and I was just wondering 😃 is the only thing I have is a good response from your end and what is the address 🤣😃 I just got home from work 😃😹😃🥺😂😜🥺🤣🥺 and a piece from last night 😘😉😘💕😘😁😁 and I are no longer interested than I will share you 😌🐱☺️😃😀😌😁

It seems to be based on the first word typed. In this case I said "Cheat" as the specific word and it results in things like "i can get a room" being constructed 1 word at a time.

It is mostly based on what you normally type, so uh.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celexi posted:

It is mostly based on what you normally type, so uh.

I haven't typed any sentences like those which is what makes it weird. And I don't use emojis ever.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a 21th century civ : should we bring back Ideograms?

yes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

PhazonLink posted:

a 21th century civ : should we bring back Ideograms?

yes.

I'm reminded of this book I'm reading called The Unfolding of Language. The book is about how and why languages evolve in time, and there are 3 main reasons:

1. Pure laziness - the desire to communicate words with less effort, which actually lead to predictable sound changes that have occurred in languages as diverse as Japanese to Latin.

2. Desire for more expressive and emphatic language. For example the Spanish -ísimo, or how people append hyper- and super- on adjectives. It becomes like a race where old ways of emphasis either become boilerplate features of a language like pas in French* and not in English* or are just abandoned like "epic" (which is so 2018 obv), and are replaced by new ways of emphasis.

3. Desire for consistency, which can whittle down irregularities in the language.

Emojis fit criteria 1 and 2 quite well, being easy to type and expressive. Perhaps the use of emojis could even fit with Wittgenstein's thinking that words are just "pictures" of the world.

* pas came from Latin passus and would be used with ne to say something like "not a single step". It's now just "not".

* "Not" originally came the phrase "ne a wiht" which meant "not anything" or "nothing"

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 11, 2020

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Example:

This is indistinguishable from your normal posting. Actually it might be more coherent somehow.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/09/amazons-alexa-for-landlords-is-a-privacy-nightmare-waiting-to-happen/

Alexa for Landlords. What the gently caress?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The hypothetical is that landlords will link the device to their account, though. You can say "Alexa, deliver 1000 lbs of lube to my address" and it'll bill the landlord.

Hacking is always a threat, but this doesn't look like quite the poo poo show the author envisions.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Elisabeth Holmes is planning to use mental illness as a defense against charges of wire fraud which is somewhat of a departure from the last defense strategy of "John Carreyrou is a stupid jerk and a liar"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

moths posted:

The hypothetical is that landlords will link the device to their account, though. You can say "Alexa, deliver 1000 lbs of lube to my address" and it'll bill the landlord.

Hacking is always a threat, but this doesn't look like quite the poo poo show the author envisions.

Yeah, it's a bad look to release what's widely regarded as a surveillance device to landlords for their tenants, but Amazon stands absolutely nothing to gain by not locking it down (to the landlords, not Amazon) as much as possible.

This is basically just a marketing ploy to be able to sell hundreds of Alexa devices at once to people who otherwise wouldn't buy them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
lol if you don't think Amazon will just rubber stamp police access to the drop-in feature for persons of interest

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

enki42 posted:

Yeah, it's a bad look to release what's widely regarded as a surveillance device to landlords for their tenants, but Amazon stands absolutely nothing to gain by not locking it down (to the landlords, not Amazon) as much as possible.

This is basically just a marketing ploy to be able to sell hundreds of Alexa devices at once to people who otherwise wouldn't buy them.

The real play here is for consumer and business data. If there's significant adoption, Amazon could get a picture of everything from building vacancy rates (real and real-time data, not massaged and out of date numbers) to tenants' comings and goings in their homes.

It's a surveillance device, but the Big Brother here is Amazon. They'd just be offering to let landlords have a peek at some of what they're collecting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I know "alexia for landlords" has all the keywords to make a conspiracy theory but it's just like, a super boring provisioner that just uses the normal provisioning API and is just a thing the company strata IoT made. It doesn't collect or give any different access than any other alexa thing and isn't made directly by amazon at all. The story where the landlord adds his account is nonsense and would let you buy stuff on his credit card (and is something he could do without alexia for landlords if he just bought an alexia and added his account, which would be less steps anyway) .

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Owling Howl posted:

Elisabeth Holmes is planning to use mental illness as a defense against charges of wire fraud which is somewhat of a departure from the last defense strategy of "John Carreyrou is a stupid jerk and a liar"
At least the court has ordered that the prosecution should be allowed to independently test her as well, and additionally that these tests are going to be recorded.

Apparently the defense's strategy of "Please just trust this doctor who we totally didn't pay any money when she says Holmes is insane kthx" didn't pan out

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Example:

How did that play out for you? The hookup I mean...because it looks like about half the text is lifted straight from previous chats you've had...

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
My suggestions are sometimes based on some odd group-think algorithm. I have shared screenshots of this since many of them are quite unusual, where a common word is followed by a rare word, one which I have never written.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i am harry posted:

How did that play out for you? The hookup I mean...because it looks like about half the text is lifted straight from previous chats you've had...

That's my point dude! I haven't said any of this. Didnt hookup with anyone. But this chat looks like a previous chat. but I didnt have it. someone else did. And I can see their chat history in my predictive chat recommendations.

and honestly if I wanted a hookup i'd have a 3some with my wife. less pain involved when everyones involved :wizard:

Bensa posted:

My suggestions are sometimes based on some odd group-think algorithm. I have shared screenshots of this since many of them are quite unusual, where a common word is followed by a rare word, one which I have never written.

You guys should try this too. Because its loving weird. You'll literally get full conversations out of just clicking the next suggested word over and over.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

only a goon could be astonished at the novelty of loving around with predictive text in tyool 2020

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I remember seeing similar posts on Facebook a decade ago.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

duz posted:

10 years of neural net and AI research have surely revolutionized predictive text beyond the comprehension of mere 2010 humans.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

duz posted:

In fact I remember seeing similar posts in GBS around the same time, too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Owling Howl posted:

10 years of neural net and AI research have surely revolutionized predictive text beyond the comprehension of mere 2010 humans.

GPT-4 will shitpost like the best of them I hear.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That's my point dude! I haven't said any of this. Didnt hookup with anyone. But this chat looks like a previous chat. but I didnt have it. someone else did. And I can see their chat history in my predictive chat recommendations.

Depending on your settings and permitions many keyboard apps use your email, etc. to build their vocabulary and this may include spam (about hookups in your area) and so on.

Mine de rien à faire avec la même chose que le ministre des autres provinces et des provinces et des territoires qui ont des problèmes de santé et de sécurité au travail et qui est en train de se faire vacciner contre les femmes enceintes.

As you can see my phone thinks I am a very French Canadian guy who is afraid of getting infected with a case of the pregnant ladies (a common fear around these places)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No emojis since neither me or my phone are animals.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I recall this company appearing in here before:

Nikola admits prototype was rolling downhill in promotional video

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Maera Sior posted:

I recall this company appearing in here before:

Nikola admits prototype was rolling downhill in promotional video

"Nikola never stated its truck was driving under its own propulsion in the video."

That's some Ubisoft level Bullshit right there.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
GM’s CEO just did a presser where she asserted they had done “appropriate due diligence” on their $2B offer
:homebrew:

E:
https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/very-capable-team-vetted-nikola-053421336.html

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anza Borrego posted:

GM’s CEO just did a presser where she asserted they had done “appropriate due diligence” on their $2B offer
:homebrew:

E:
https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/very-capable-team-vetted-nikola-053421336.html

more like doo doo diligence

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
im starting tohate how these companies keep using telsa's name.

also my hate of musk and his muskrat stans telling astronomers that they dont get space.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
So recently something interesting has been happening in the Medical imaging industry. A new Israeli startup, Nanox, started raising insane money. About $60m in private capital and then a few weeks ago they raised over $150m more in an IPO. They claim to have come up with novel X-ray technology which is portable, low cost, etc. But they don't have a 510K yet, or even a real product. Their R&D team is just a couple dozen people, and AFAIK they haven't revealed a real prototype system. So naturally investors have been eating this poo poo up.

https://twitter.com/techcrunch/status/1296907984933617664

Until this morning, when some group called Citron Research put out a report accusing Nanox of being the new Tharanos:
https://twitter.com/citronresearch/status/1305862543622242306?s=21

But Citron looks like it has issues of its own. Its founder is an avid short seller whose gimmick is doing takedowns like this for profit. No matter who you believe, there's a lot of grifting going on here.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 16, 2020

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ANIME AKBAR posted:

But Citron looks like it has issues of its own. Its founder is an avid short seller whose gimmick is doing takedowns like this for profit. No matter who you believe, there's a lot of grifting going on here.

Eh, if short sellers are just putting accurate information out there and drawing attention to how the emperor, in fact, is wearing no clothes, then they're entitled to ride their short sales all the way to the bank as far as I'm concerned.

If they're just making poo poo up to force the stock down, that's a different story.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Well their report does have a lot of lovely arguments in it. Citron doesn't seem to have any sort of familiarity with medical devices. No, you don't need to have GE Healthcare's resources, or anything close to it, to develop an X-ray scanner. And submitting a 510k is not evidence that your product isn't novel (though the fact that the 510k still hasn't been approved is a big red flag).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I'm really amazed at how much money investors are willing to blow on vaporware products. Their thought process is literally "does this sound cool?" "Do these dudes with fake glasses look smart?" Hell yeah here's 10 million!!

They don't even wait for an MVP, or some evidence that the product will accomplish what it claims.