Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

One of the iPod shuffles used the audio port to charge the battery which blew my mind at the time

I've watched charging electric devices go from that, and big rear end ports in the MP3 player and phones, to wireless charging now, it's pretty nuts. I am wondering if we'll ever get wireless power. Just place your computer next to a power socket in the wall, within a few feet, and it just gives it all of the power it needs. Ideally without killing anyone who walks pass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

no, because what exactly are you going to change about it? it does everything it needs to do, there is not a whole lot to analog audio, pretty low frequency and only need 3 wires for stereo, don't need some crazy designed connector. if you want mics or remote control interfaces or whatever you can just add more rings to the jack, and them getting grounded when the rings don't match up on jack/plug is a good fallback mechanism. they designed it 150 years ago and perfected it then, no need to change anything

the closest you get is like weird cd/minidisc players with remote controls that had that little extra prong on the plug, but then everyone realized you could just use a TRRS jack and eliminate the prong

no the real reason is bcos you can just use usb c or something you dont need analog audio on a phone you can throw in a dac wherever, and anywhere you do need analog i/o uve been using better connectors already since the dawn of man. its so unperfect that its never used outside of consumer devices and its big brother the 1/4" is literally the worst connector you use in a studio and a pain in the b*tt to the point everyone has to learn how to solder them back together cos they just break constantly and you never ever buy a 1/4 you cant unscrew to repair. the ring system sucks and is mind bendingly stupid and only increases internal complexity in the jack, which is where 99% of the problems come from bcos the wires just get pulled out because its the stupidest design ever made.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the 3.5mm jack specifically has such a tiny latch on it compared to the 1/4, t hey didnt scale it down directly for some reason.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

youre not supposed to pull it out from the cable

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I get a new phone I'm not looking forward to transferring all my 2FA over especially when a bunch of them want to ping the original phone for verification

Yubikeys can store 2FA seeds and have a corresponding authenticator app, buying one made phone upgrades so much easier.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

homeless snail posted:

youre not supposed to pull it out from the cable

it doesnt matter where you pull it out from, the inside of a jack is a design made in the 50s and its complete garbage that is built to fall apart. they started hot gluing them in place to try and deal with it. ur confusing momentum for a bad standard with it being good, it isnt, its a complete mess. a decent replacement would have a design that doesnt rotate around, that seperates its signals properly, and is secured in place better, probably something like the macbook mag power or modern usb latching rather than a hard lock like an xlr cos its for portables.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I like USB C because I can use it to charge my switch and my phone so I can have the phone charger in my bedroom and the switch cable with the tv, thus I have a charger for my most frequently used devices in my most frequently used rooms.

This is the extent of my opinions on jacks etc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If you could make a video game and it would turn out exactly as you want it to without worrying about any financial issues or lack of skills in coding/art/etc, what game would you make

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hatty posted:

One of the iPod shuffles used the audio port to charge the battery which blew my mind at the time

3 of them did. I have them all and they're freaks, its awesome except the 3rd gen which also doesn't work without the original headphones as they put all the controls on those. Its the worst of Apple's design traits and also it gets scarily warm while just charging.

It is pretty though, especially the pink one I have.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FirstAidKite posted:

If you could make a video game and it would turn out exactly as you want it to without worrying about any financial issues or lack of skills in coding/art/etc, what game would you make

You know how games these days can hit like 80-100GB?

A game that size, but all assets aside from the engine can only match stuff from the PS1/N64 era.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

FirstAidKite posted:

High budget Space Station 13 with a full time paid moderation staff, controls that can be used by a human, and top tier graphics and physics.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Star Citizen’s Dream.txt feature list is pretty much that game. Instead the reality is an elaborate scam.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Medieval detective game where you can use clues and inference to solve crimes, but also divination and witchcraft.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

I was a big, big fan of Spelunky, but why don’t I feel all that interested in checking out the sequel? Could someone tell me?

I think it's because for people who spent SO much time on Spelunky and played it until the point where they stopped going back, looking at Spelunky 2 is just a whole new burden of knowledge and things to learn set to what basically looks like the exact same gameplay

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

You know how games these days can hit like 80-100GB?

A game that size, but all assets aside from the engine can only match stuff from the PS1/N64 era.

How much of the space is allowed to be dedicated to prerendered backgrounds and prerendered cg cutscenes?

CubeTheory posted:

Space Station 13 with controls that can be used by a human.

Is it really Space Station 13 at that point though?

I said come in! posted:

Star Citizen’s Dream.txt feature list is pretty much that game. Instead the reality is an elaborate scam.

Is a large portion of the game still dedicated to purchasing ship jpegs?

exquisite tea posted:

Medieval detective game where you can use clues and inference to solve crimes, but also divination and witchcraft.

We need more William of Baskerville games but idk how well they'd do, I'm only familiar with the one game adaptation of The Name of the Rose and I think it got a remake as well.

I am glad others responded because I wanted an excuse to post my own idea but I wanted to know if others were interested in posting their dream ideas first.

I have 2 dream ideas, one as basically a fanfic game and the other as its own thing.

For the original idea thing, I'd want to make a game in whatever genre you'd consider stuff like Long Live the Queen or Magical Diary, basically the genre of game where you're going through events day-by-day and deciding what you want to do in order to increase stats and gain items and alter relationships with other characters, but instead of being a princess who is prone to dying in terrible ways unless you have the right stats or a magical student who needs to use the right spells in order to pass exams, I'd want it to be about being a homeless person who is just trying to survive the summertime and fall seasons, trying to do their best to secure a safe way through the winter season.

As for the more fanfic-ish game, the ending of x-com terror from the deep really bothered me because it was never followed up on. I'd really like to mod openxcom to make a proper terror from the deep sequel. Those games already incorporate various conspiracy theories and alien theories into their world as being true, but while they handled a lot of typical alien concepts regarding aliens from outer space and aliens from the depths of the sea, and eventually aliens from other dimensions in Apocalypse, they never touched on aliens from within Earth itself. I think that the idea of an x-com game about dealing with a sudden rise in attacks from the underground would be cool. There are a lot of unique environments that you could take from the underground, be it catacombs, sewers, caverns, mines, tunnels, lava tubes, crystal caverns, etc. There are also a number of monsters that could come from the underground, from CHUDs to giant insects to molemen and lizardmen and morlocks and sewer mutants and even asuras. It'd give the x-com team a reason to have to come up with transport vehicles to chase after drill tanks and excavation mechanisms to stop manufactured earthquake terror events and having to develop technology to detect and chase underground machinery. It would all lead up to the eventual discovery of the hollow earth city of Agartha and the development of tech that would allow intercepting drill tanks to burrow into Agartha in order to put a stop to the invasions before Apocalypse comes and has it all destroyed regardless.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Stux posted:

me, epically coming up with the 3.5mm jack: so what id thought id do is make an analog connector, and make it a cylinder with vertical partitioning, that can move around constantly while plugged in, and the whole thing is held in place with tension embedded in the socket where no one can ever repair it when it inevitably wears out. also the cable is made of freaking paper so it will tear itself apart as it rotates 5000 degrees per minute.

This post conjured wonderful images and made me properly belly laugh :D

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Me, holding my earbuds in one hand, phone in the other and using the cable as a jump rope : " why the gently caress does every 3.5mm jack break so fast "

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrast posted:

wow looked fine when it releasd

Definitely not. It's all inconsistent and jaggety and unnatural moving. I'm pretty sure a vast majority of the assets were placeholders that they ended up never replacing because the budget had ballooned so much on the project.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cursed stream layouts

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I got about 30 minutes into the CK3 tutorial before my eyes started to hurt, I don’t think I have the excess brainpower to devote to this kind of game right now.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I got about 30 minutes into the CK3 tutorial before my eyes started to hurt, I don’t think I have the excess brainpower to devote to this kind of game right now.

Click marry blood relation button! Dynasty grow strong.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FirstAidKite posted:

A murder mystery game where the criterion for solving a case is just that the pieces fit, but you can successfully close cases with erroneous deductions because you didn't investigate well enough and didn't have all the pieces (ideally, that notion would be introduced in an optional tutorial players would be led to forget to click on, for extra irony). The game would have multiple routes and endings depending on the deductions you made on each case and, importantly, wouldn't hint too strongly you've been on the wrong track all along. Of course getting the best ending would involve untangling a particularly convoluted man-behind-the-man-behind-the-man murder plot.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 16, 2020

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is kind of like that

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, but at the very end you only get two choices and it's more like a moral quandary, right? Like, Sherlock sound more like the Telltale thing where each case has variations but it doesn't really play a significant role in the grand scheme of things. I'm more talking about a whole tree of possibilities ranging from master detective to the Obra Dinn joke ending, and not trough a final choice but as one of several routes your deductions led you through throughout the whole game. Think more along the lines of the route structure of a branching VN, but where the choices are essentially made through the investigations.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 16, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Relax Or DIE posted:

alright, post your connector tier lists

:dong:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FirstAidKite posted:

Post-apocalyptic beat-em up mmo about various factions vying for control of what used to be the metropolis of the country but is now a decaying ruin teetering on the verge of total annihilation or rebirth. Instead of traditional MMO controls it would essentially be a 3D brawler with leveling, classes determine your moveset (which is somewhat customizable ala God Hand), and instead of tank/dps/healing roles you would need to coordinate with your friends to do team moves that can turn the tide of a brawl. The central blocks of the city would essentially constantly be fought over for control by the 6 factions, with various rewards to the players in the faction who controls a given block, but there'd be a strong pve element as well featuring questlines and non player factions to contend with like sewer mutants and desert raiders (the desert did not exist prior to the bombs dropping).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going to bed early to wake up at 6 to watch the PS5 stream.

Hype for Miles Morales, and Forbidden West :hmmyes:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did Sony confirm any new footage for Forbidden West? Or any other games, for that matter. I thought it would just be the stuff we've already seen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I dont think I've ever had a 3.5mm jack break lol. You want to know about poo poo connectors then become an auto electrician like me lmao

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I’ve had way more 1/4” jacks break than 3.5mm jacks ergo 3.5mm is the superior jack. The jack of all trades you could say.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol Nintendo dropping another Direct tomorrow.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Infinitum posted:

lol Nintendo dropping another Direct tomorrow.

It's interesting that they seem to just straight up refuse to do a basic Nintendo Direct. They've done loads of mini, indie and partner Directs, and ones for specific games/events (like the Mario one) but no actual proper Directs at all.

They've announced and released enough games independent of the Direct structure so maybe they've just gone off the idea and prefer for Directs to focus on other things while they drop game announcements at random. :shrug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad USB-C is now basically standard

Rest In Piss Micro USB and you too Weird USB 3.0 MicroUSB Thing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Might have to get a PS5

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/1306107689760628736?s=20

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Game so great it was worth remaking 4 times

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Funny title lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

stev posted:

It's interesting that they seem to just straight up refuse to do a basic Nintendo Direct. They've done loads of mini, indie and partner Directs, and ones for specific games/events (like the Mario one) but no actual proper Directs at all.

They've announced and released enough games independent of the Direct structure so maybe they've just gone off the idea and prefer for Directs to focus on other things while they drop game announcements at random. :shrug:

People on twitter get very mad about this because the mini/indie/smash/mario ones are not 'real' directs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just use the puppets again and fans will accept any announcement

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I’m pretty sure there was a tweet thread about how XLR connectors were being used in the sex toy industry due to the easy of connecting/disconnecting them and their sturdiness. I don’t have strong audio opinions but I know that when I used headphones through the PS4 controller and I have to frequently rotate the plug to get good output to both ears.

I’ve been trying to find some mid-tier headphones with mic for my Tabletop Simulator sessions but the best thing I’ve found so far is to just put Discord voice chat on my phone and lay it in front of me, using no headset whatsoever. I’ve been playing the garage where I can talk freely without bothering wife or toddler, but now that it’s getting colder I think that’s gonna have to change.

E: found it. Despite the warning the only NSFW bits are a few pictures where “sex” is typed into google and some patent drawings.
https://twitter.com/foone/status/1264925104175112192?s=21

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Spiritual sequel to the classic breath of fire games.

Alternatively, a superhero game focused at least as much on character relationships as fighting. Like with the dragon age 2 friend/rivalry system. Superhero comics are great for mixing human concerns with superhero action, and the games we get just don't capture that.