Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I remember before it came out i was willing to give HTC the benefit of the doubt

How silly was I?

Anyhoo if i pick up a G2 i also need to factor in a new laptop to run it

This is going to be a very spendy exercise. Still, YOLO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Any goons looking to buy a Oculus Quest? I know that the market isn't good for it right now, but I've got the Vive DAS on it and the Link Cable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ROFLBOT posted:

I remember before it came out i was willing to give HTC the benefit of the doubt

How silly was I?

This is going to be a very spendy exercise. Still, YOLO!

I'd love to see more competition among VR headsets too, but the Cosmos is just such a mess it's hard not to make fun of every time someone else does the same thing HTC claimed they were doing well in an actually-competent fashion. Every new headset that appears just manages to make it even more embarrassing, and it's gonna look even worse if/when Samsung turn out their next headset to add to the competition. Or whatever Sony has planned.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am very conflicted about which VR headset I want to get. None of their websites cover my use cases for one, which would pretty much exclusively be playing simulations; DCS World, iRacing, Elite Dangerous, and eventually Microsoft Flight Sim when that gets VR. I need to be able to use relevant controllers for each of these. So a racing wheel, joystick, and Yoke controller are things that have to be compatible. Ideally a vr headset with as few cables as possible, and no base stations for head movement, and the use of motion controllers is obviously a no go, they wont work for what I want to play. I realize I am very much not the typical use case here. Would I just be wasting money?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Something that worries me in the Quest 2 slightly is the battery. I know the new chipset will be more efficient, but still, if they want more res and more refresh rate, it will consume as a minimum the same energy. And they said it's lighter, and in year and a half battery technology hasn't improved enough...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Strapping a 10000mah battery to the back of the Quest's headstrap effectively solved the problem of battery life for me. Might be a bit more difficult with the fabric strap the Quest 2 comes with though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

I am very conflicted about which VR headset I want to get. None of their websites cover my use cases for one, which would pretty much exclusively be playing simulations; DCS World, iRacing, Elite Dangerous, and eventually Microsoft Flight Sim when that gets VR. I need to be able to use relevant controllers for each of these. So a racing wheel, joystick, and Yoke controller are things that have to be compatible. Ideally a vr headset with as few cables as possible, and no base stations for head movement, and the use of motion controllers is obviously a no go, they wont work for what I want to play. I realize I am very much not the typical use case here. Would I just be wasting money?

Good news; your wheel or joystick has zero to do with which HMD you get. Wheel support is on a per-game basis, and has nothing to do with how the video is output. Montior? Hmd? Inputs don't care.

So you already know which games can handle which controllers and VR won't change that. All it does is give you an additional control method, the motion controllers, but if you're playing mostly sims you mostly won't even use them.

Nobody covers use cases for HMDs because they aren't purpose built like that. There's the cheaper HMDs and there's the more expensive, better HMDs. You get what you pay for. The better ones are better at everything, with the exception of the Oculus Quest being able to go wireless, which none others can do.

Literally all of them will work great for sim, all that matters is resolution and refresh rate.

Not sure what you mean by wasting money though? I have a VIVE and Index and use them mostly for sim racing, with the occasional beat saber, pistol whip or HL: Alyx. "Waste of money" is up to you, but if you're sim racing, you're already "wasting money" on your sim rig lol. A cheap HMD will play simulations and an expensive HMD will play simulations so really just budget for what you can afford.

The only real consideration is Steam/OpenVR vs Facebook/Oculus, but both headsets can be made to work with the other system.

Sounds like the Oculus is basically what you want though; cheaper and no base stations. Maybe try to get a cheap VIVE if you don't care about the motion controllers at all, but then you need base stations.

E: I don't think its a waste of money personally, sims are some of the most compelling VR games there are. Having physical controllers means everything is just REAL where normal VR games have some amount of mixed haptic feedback. Also sitting in a racing chair or a flying cockpit means locomotion issues aren't even a problem, your VR experience is just completely 1:1. I don't know why anybody would buy triple screens instead of VR for sim racing unless they have issues with stereo 3D. Its waaaay better feeling actually being IN the car instead of looking through a monitor. Turning your head into the corners is just... its just real.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 16, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gentleman Baller posted:

Australian G2 preorders are finally, properly up at HP's website. Until the 30th you can use the code REVERB to bring the price down to AU$899. This seems like the only high quality PCVR alternative to the Quest 2 coming up for us so its probably worth doing the research and making the decision before then, if you can.

Don't forget about Pimax, "the OnePlus of VR". My poo poo is busted as hell but drat if the specs agent sweet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

If the majority of your use-case is sim games, get a Reverb G2. It's got the best picture clarity for all those fiddly little dials and counters on your virtual cab/cockpit readouts.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I am considering Rift S > Quest 2 Upgrade. All I do is really play Beat Saber, and the Rift S is kinda meh. Don't wanna spent the cash on a valve index.

Of course, we won't know if the Quest 2 is much better for Beat Saber until we try it, but got any predictions in the meantime, thread?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The rumor mill is that it runs at 90hz, so it should be a little smoother and have a bit less latency at the very least. Best to wait for the full announcement before making a decision though.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

BabyRyoga posted:

I am considering Rift S > Quest 2 Upgrade. All I do is really play Beat Saber, and the Rift S is kinda meh. Don't wanna spent the cash on a valve index.

Of course, we won't know if the Quest 2 is much better for Beat Saber until we try it, but got any predictions in the meantime, thread?

I'm going to predict that it'll actually be so good at Beat Saber that you'll somehow get isekai'ed into the beat saver-verse, which is like tron only with dance fights.

Or it will be incrementally better and have a nice refresh rate and maybe better tracking.

Definitely somewhere in-between those two though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Something that worries me in the Quest 2 slightly is the battery. I know the new chipset will be more efficient, but still, if they want more res and more refresh rate, it will consume as a minimum the same energy. And they said it's lighter, and in year and a half battery technology hasn't improved enough...

Lithium ion batteries are cheap and light. I wouldn't worry about it. The existing battery isn't even 1/20th of the quests weight.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if the optics has changed more than it may seem at first in the Quest2, even if the lenses seems to be almost the same in photos:

How to reduce the depth so much, if not?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if the optics has changed more than it may seem at first in the Quest2, even if the lenses seems to be almost the same in photos:

How to reduce the depth so much, if not?

That reduction in depth could be really big for comfort too, as the weight isn't hanging as far off your face. I really hope the comfort and FOV are both improved.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

ROFLBOT posted:

Not necessarily if you're willing to run it at half resolution for awhile - that's what I plan to do until I get an Nvidia 3xxx series. And even at half res you get the benefit of basically no screen-door effect.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another leak (Spanish source)
https://vandal.elespanol.com/noticia/1350738007/ubisoft-anunciara-assassins-creed-y-splinter-cell-para-oculus-hoy-en-facebook-connect/

Ubisoft will announce today, during the Facebook Connect event held at 7:30 p.m. Spanish time, two of its main sagas adapted to Oculus virtual reality: Assassin's Creed and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell.
The titles are led by Red Storm Entertainment in collaboration with Ubisoft Reflections, Ubisoft Düsseldorf, and Ubisoft Mumbai. They are original and created from scratch for Oculus, but keeping the typical elements of each series.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going to be kind of busy today. Everything is today!
-Nvidia lifting nda for 3000 series reviews in 30 minutes.
-Facebook thing in 4-5 hours.
-Sony showcase/info for PS5 in 8 hours.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
so if they announce this thing today will it be available for purchase pretty soon

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

for what you want to do (and if it was sold here) i'd 100% go with a G2. the only worry i have with it is WMR tracking and it sounds like you don't care about that anyway

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Sounds like the Oculus is basically what you want though; cheaper and no base stations. Maybe try to get a cheap VIVE if you don't care about the motion controllers at all, but then you need base stations.

Thank you for all of this advice! This is super helpful and way more informative than what the official websites for these devices present, which is to just show you VR being used entirely standing up, in a large open room, and swinging your arms around at very casual games. It sends a weird message, at least in my mind, about what VR can actually be used for and I was under the impression there was maybe some serious limitations are more complex stuff. Resolution is going to be the most important to me, making sure whatever I play looks as good as possible.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I was only going to get one game between Audica and Audioshield, any recommendations? The reviews on both are fantastic so that didn’t help. Ideally I’d like something that’s a bit of a workout.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I was only going to get one game between Audica and Audioshield, any recommendations? The reviews on both are fantastic so that didn’t help. Ideally I’d like something that’s a bit of a workout.

If you don't already have Pistol Whip I have to say that's my go to for a VR workout. I have a ton of fun doing gun-kata and dancing to tunes. I hope they make more songs or CDLC soon, but even 90 minutes on hard will leave you plenty sweaty and panting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nocheez posted:

If you don't already have Pistol Whip I have to say that's my go to for a VR workout. I have a ton of fun doing gun-kata and dancing to tunes. I hope they make more songs or CDLC soon, but even 90 minutes on hard will leave you plenty sweaty and panting.

I do and it’s been my go-to as well, but variety is always good. The user-supplied song aspect of audica/audioshield is a big factor in why I’ve been looking at them, I’d like to have some more musical variety in my VR time.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Pistol whip is fun, but it wasn't a rhythm game as far as I can tell as much as a game with a rave happening in the background

Nothing seems to be on the beat?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hhhat posted:

Pistol whip is fun, but it wasn't a rhythm game as far as I can tell as much as a game with a rave happening in the background

Nothing seems to be on the beat?

You have to shoot on beat for maximum points, though there’s exceptions to that (a follow up to an on-beat shot doesn’t have to be on-beat so you can take our armored guys without losing points)

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

You have to shoot on beat for maximum points, though there’s exceptions to that (a follow up to an on-beat shot doesn’t have to be on-beat so you can take our armored guys without losing points)

oh... points

ok i'll keep an eye on that, but my initial feeling is thats kinda lame

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hhhat posted:

oh... points

ok i'll keep an eye on that, but my initial feeling is thats kinda lame

You get scored on accuracy (based on how much the auto-aim had to correct your shot for you, I think) and how on beat you were. Then you have a multiplier that goes up with kills and down when you get hit (maxes out at 8x).

Once I was able to get through the levels I really liked setting new high scores but I’m also the kind of person that can sit down and play the same pinball table for hours so your mileage may vary.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

You get scored on accuracy (based on how much the auto-aim had to correct your shot for you, I think) and how on beat you were. Then you have a multiplier that goes up with kills and down when you get hit (maxes out at 8x).

Once I was able to get through the levels I really liked setting new high scores but I’m also the kind of person that can sit down and play the same pinball table for hours so your mileage may vary.

Alright, so the game's deeper than it appears at first blush. Thanks for the extra info (I could tell it was autoaiming for me, but I wasn't sure why)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hhhat posted:

Alright, so the game's deeper than it appears at first blush. Thanks for the extra info (I could tell it was autoaiming for me, but I wasn't sure why)

Pistol whipping someone is also even more points if you do it right (gotta really swing) and also gives you armor and reloads your gun. I don’t think the tutorial really covered that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

hhhat posted:

If you want you can disable it in the modifiers menu, but it's... not really advisable. It's definitely not a game set up to really do 'realistic' aiming (the sights have no markings and your gun pulses in time to the beat so it's not even aimable like every eigth note), so turning autoaim off is just an exercise in how perfect your muscle memory is for any given track.

To also add on to what the other poster said, https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dt754o/how_the_scoring_system_works_in_pistol_whip/ is a good writeup on the scoring system. You basically have 100 points from how close your shot is to actually hitting the enemy before autoaim corrects it, and 100 from how on beat you are.

Pistol whips are velocity sensitive and don't give you any extra score, but are an easy way to get max points on an enemy if you hit hard enough as well as get armor back/reload your gun.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pistol whipping someone is also even more points if you do it right (gotta really swing) and also gives you armor and reloads your gun. I don’t think the tutorial really covered that.

I know I also said this earlier in this thread, but I went and looked it up and it doesn't give you extra points, 200 is still the max. If you melee an armor guy it's always a one hit kill so the beefy dudes who normally take four shots will give you all the points in one swipe. So instead of four shots at 200 points each you get one melee at 800 points. Still worth doing cause it's easy to get max point on them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

ishikabibble posted:

To also add on to what the other poster said, https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/dt754o/how_the_scoring_system_works_in_pistol_whip/ is a good writeup on the scoring system. You basically have 100 points from how close your shot is to actually hitting the enemy before autoaim corrects it, and 100 from how on beat you are.

Ohhhhh....

The tutorial did explain the melee and takes away your shield beforehand, I think. But I did not understand why sometimes I didn't get 200 points when I'm on beat. It's because my aim is off. Good to know!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Ohhhhh....

The tutorial did explain the melee and takes away your shield beforehand, I think. But I did not understand why sometimes I didn't get 200 points when I'm on beat. It's because my aim is off. Good to know!

It's really annoying the way they do it just showing one point total, because you can't really know if you lost points for going off-beat or for missing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know why anybody would buy triple screens instead of VR for sim racing unless they have issues with stereo 3D. Its waaaay better feeling actually being IN the car instead of looking through a monitor. Turning your head into the corners is just... its just real.

Triple monitors are still much better for readability in flight sims (VR is improving, but isn't as "effortlessly glance and see clearly" fidelity yet) and for cases where it's handy to have access to a notepad, such as the VOR frequencies for your flight plan. VR can also be a fiddly mess that requires an additional 10 minutes of fixing some poo poo or another before you can do anything. And for less action-packed sims, like Microsoft Flight Simulator, it's nice to be able to kick back and easily mess with your phone and poo poo while playing.

VR is great and it's how I prefer to play sims, but it's not universally superior to triple monitors (or an ultrawide) and a head tracking solution.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

Triple monitors are still much better for readability in flight sims (VR is improving, but isn't as "effortlessly glance and see clearly" fidelity yet) and for cases where it's handy to have access to a notepad, such as the VOR frequencies for your flight plan. VR can also be a fiddly mess that requires an additional 10 minutes of fixing some poo poo or another before you can do anything. And for less action-packed sims, like Microsoft Flight Simulator, it's nice to be able to kick back and easily mess with your phone and poo poo while playing.

VR is great and it's how I prefer to play sims, but it's not universally superior to triple monitors (or an ultrawide) and a head tracking solution.

Well I said explicitly "sim racing" there, not just overall sim. But I was talking to him about overall sims earlier so I see where you misread me. I could see if you do more flying that could make sense. Racing you don't really stop to take notes :)

As far as I've heard MFS doesn't actually support trips so you have to kinda hack it in with wide resolution? Course it doesn't support VR either so that's kinda irrelevant.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

As far as I've heard MFS doesn't actually support trips so you have to kinda hack it in with wide resolution? Course it doesn't support VR either so that's kinda irrelevant.

Yeah MFS currently doesnt support it, hacked in even it doesn't look good. The sim launched very unfinished, its been kinda frustrating.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Stan Taylor posted:

I know I also said this earlier in this thread, but I went and looked it up and it doesn't give you extra points, 200 is still the max. If you melee an armor guy it's always a one hit kill so the beefy dudes who normally take four shots will give you all the points in one swipe. So instead of four shots at 200 points each you get one melee at 800 points. Still worth doing cause it's easy to get max point on them.

Can you double up by shooting the 4 hit guys 3 times then pistol whip him to finish them off for an additional 800 points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.amazon.nl/Oculus-301-00...ctronics&sr=1-4

Case + deluxe strap + battery = 141 €