Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Midnight Voyager posted:

Tombs of Atuan doesn't involve him much at all, it's mostly about Tenar, maybe they just read that one and- oh wait no, they clearly did not.

WHAT?! THE gently caress!?

I found the Tombs of Atuan without knowing it was partway through a series when I was a kid. It was in the library of my very Christian school and definitely nobody read it. How the poo poo do you get to anything cheerful from that book??? That book was haunting as hell!

But but but Tenar is the female lead, so she has to be super nice and not do much of anything and fall in true love with the hero, because that's how stories work! Watch the videos that were posted earlier for scenes of Tenar in a brightly colored nun outfit, hugging adorable orphans and making out with Ged.

I was so excited when I found out that there was an Earthsea movie. I had my mother tape it for me because I wasn't at home when the first part aired. She later told me she'd watched it while taping and kept asking herself what I could possibly like in that story.

Cloacamazing! has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Sep 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hihohe posted:

Actually reading about history has taught me that there was never a time when humans wernt wacky horny little apes. Its just in older times the only people being written history about were rich people or royalty and they basically said ,"make me look good or youre dead." to the writers.
now history is being written by everyone with a phone or computer and the mask has come off

Sometimes they were told make the predecessors they usurped look bad. See: Richard III and how prima nocte was extensively documented as occuring the rival kingdom our liege wants us to go conquer.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

RoboRodent posted:

I'm taking a class on genre fiction this semester. This exists in the syllabus/schedule:

I can't loving wait.
holy poo poo :allears:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cloacamazing! posted:

But but but Tenar is the female lead, so she has to be super nice and not do much of anything and fall in true love with the hero, because that's how stories work! Watch the videos that were posted earlier for scenes of Tenar in a brightly colored nun outfit, hugging adorable orphans and making out with Ged.

I was so excited when I found out that there was an Earthsea movie. I had my mother tape it for me because I wasn't at home when the first part aired. She later told me she'd watched it while taping and kept asking herself what I could possibly like in that story.

Studio Ghibli also did one called Tales from Earthsea. It's not Le Guin's novels, but it's ok and at least you're looking at some rally top class animation the whole way through.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

there wolf posted:

Studio Ghibli also did one called Tales from Earthsea. It's not Le Guin's novels, but it's ok and at least you're looking at some rally top class animation the whole way through.

Wait, I've got LeGuin's books lying ready for when I get time to read again (soon), but I didn't want to watch the Ghibli movie for fear of spoilers.

Can I watch it anyway without spoiling the novels? Like it's just the same setting but an entirely disconnected story or something?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

As they said at the height of human civilization: “I will sodomize and face-gently caress you”

Exactly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I see this sentiment a lot and I finally gotta ask, what's the relevance here? The mechanics of winning a war somehow inherently demand that you put up with obvious bigotry?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

I see this sentiment a lot and I finally gotta ask, what's the relevance here? The mechanics of winning a war somehow inherently demand that you put up with obvious bigotry?

Aren't we getting to the point that none of these boomers bitching possibly participated in a war decisively 'won'?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We're at the point where boomers parents couldn't have participated in "the war."

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Vib Rib posted:

conservative dickbags are convinced that allied war crimes are why we won ww2

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PurpleXVI posted:

Hahahahah, what? How the gently caress can you read any Earthsea story involving Sparrowhawk and ignore every single line that points out the protagonist's culture is explicitly not white?

If I'm remembering correctly bunch of people got extremely angry a character in the hunger games was black in the movie, despite that being plainly stated in the book.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sunswipe posted:

We're at the point where boomers parents couldn't have participated in "the war."

I think the boomers remain born 1945-65 regardless of how much time passes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

"These soft millenials care about things, people who care about things could not possibly be like my hard and emotionally distant dad who fought in t' war."

"Also I am very very upset about people not liking my friend's lovely books and am going to write an article about how it's the end of civilization, but it is the wokes who are too sensitive."

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Taeke posted:

Wait, I've got LeGuin's books lying ready for when I get time to read again (soon), but I didn't want to watch the Ghibli movie for fear of spoilers.

Can I watch it anyway without spoiling the novels? Like it's just the same setting but an entirely disconnected story or something?

I haven't read the book or watched the Ghibli movie, but according to Daniel Green it basically has characters with the same names, and nothing else is similiar. Ursula was pissed about how bad of an "adaptation" it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6akqmZmzTk

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

"These soft millenials care about things, people who care about things could not possibly be like my hard and emotionally distant dad who fought in t' war."

"Also I am very very upset about people not liking my friend's lovely books and am going to write an article about how it's the end of civilization, but it is the wokes who are too sensitive."

I see these opinions, where people think things like weapons production, numbers of soldiers, superior air and naval power, and battle tactics win wars.

The truth is that toxic masculinity, and toxic masculinity alone is what wins wars.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

I haven't read the book or watched the Ghibli movie, but according to Daniel Green it basically has characters with the same names, and nothing else is similiar. Ursula was pissed about how bad of an "adaptation" it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6akqmZmzTk
It was also directed by the famous Hayao Miyazaki's son as his first project and it was... not well-received. The elder Miyazaki is on video record saying that his son shouldn't be a director.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mind the walrus posted:

It was also directed by the famous Hayao Miyazaki's son as his first project and it was... not well-received. The elder Miyazaki is on video record saying that his son shouldn't be a director.

Yeah, but then he made From Up on Poppy Hill so I he doesn't need you to be proud of me him, Dad!

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

RoboRodent posted:

I'm taking a class on genre fiction this semester. This exists in the syllabus/schedule:

I can't loving wait.

The k/s women were really, really intense, and reading about them is interesting no matter how you feel about Kirk & Spock.

and Joanna Russ wrote some good scifi.

open a thread for both

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Syd Midnight posted:

The k/s women were really, really intense, and reading about them is interesting no matter how you feel about Kirk & Spock.

https://www.theyboldlywent.com/trekbooks/2020/03/star-trek-the-prometheus-design-review/

You ain't kidding.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I listened to a few of her songs after fplus used lemon pepper as an outro (immediately after the episode where they used ben shapiro singing WAP as the outro) and they are all really good, like really good lyricism, you have to listen to the song a bunch of times to actually get it all cos there's so much of it and you spend half the song laughing.

just spent all day deep diving her catalogue on youtube and she is an insanely good lyricist. Some of the poo poo in lemon pepper alone is insane. we call it snitch9ine made me loving choke on my drink.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's weird how the stereotype of Star Trek fandom is male loser virgins when early on it's most fervent fans were largely women. The first Star Trek convention was like 70% women in attendance.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d say it was more like 69%

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

subpar anachronism posted:

Aren't we getting to the point that none of these boomers bitching possibly participated in a war decisively 'won'?

People offended and willing to take affirmative action would, and have never, won any conflict as I recall

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

snergle posted:

just spent all day deep diving her catalogue on youtube and she is an insanely good lyricist. Some of the poo poo in lemon pepper alone is insane. we call it snitch9ine made me loving choke on my drink.

The outrage over WAP takes on a new light when you consider Nikki Minaj has been doing filthier lyrics longer, and pretty recently, Arianna Grande had a song about getting hosed so hard that you walk weird, featuring lyrics like "wrist icicle, ride dick bicycle" during the Nikki cameo.

But Arianna's a white chick who puts on brown face, so that deflects the right wing pundit's takes, while showing their true colors, and being generally gross.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Facebook ads can be IoSM, right?

This is the tea I got because I don't like coffee, so why does it taste like coffee?

Great, tea made out of the leaves leftover from a couple weeks ago.

When you buy this tea, the instructions tell you you're only allowed to use it to brew sun tea.

People buy this tea, say "Thank God, we can finally make tea!" and then never make the tea.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

mind the walrus posted:

I may be incorrect, but I think Miyazaki's Son, Goro, was working for Hayao's production company for a while, and got put into the head of Earth Sea. Miyazaki the senior was adamant his son not direct, and went about not speaking to his son while the production was going on, and I think going so far as disowning him for not stopping?

Hayao took back the words after the movie was finished and he even praised it, mostly for the art and probably not the story. But he certainly said Goro shouldn't be a director at the start of Earth Sea.

PicklePants has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Sep 16, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I bought this tea and the instructions just said “This is the best we allow. Deal with it.”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Honestly for anyone interested in Earthsea stuff just read the first book and ignore the rest, because they really aren't very good.

what the gently caress, source your quotes

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sorry this is a few days old post to reply to.

Jonathan Blow has also been making xenophobic rants about Chinese people in relation to coronavirus.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Sep 16, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zesty posted:

Sorry this is a few days old post to reply to.

Jonathan Blow has also been making xenophobic rants about Chinese people in relation to coronavirus.

Oh yeah, wasn't he one of the ones who was almost immediately talking about it had to be made in a lab?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

PicklePants posted:

I may be incorrect, but I think Miyazaki's Son, Goro, was working for Hayao's production company for a while, and got put into the head of Earth Sea. Miyazaki the senior was adamant his son not direct, and went about not speaking to his son while the production was going on, and I think going so far as disowning him for not stopping?

Hayao took back the words after the movie was finished and he even praised it, mostly for the art and probably not the story. But he certainly said Goro shouldn't be a director at the start of Earth Sea.

I remember hearing something about there being a scene where a kid kills his father figure which left Miyazaki shook and that's why he backtracked. Not because the movie was good or not but because he realised he'd done that much damage to his relationship with his son.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tales from Earthsea is not a great movie IMO.

If you're interested in his reaction to it, the very good documentary "10 Years with Hayao Miyazaki" is free online and covers the development of the film and his dislike of everything about the project: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/3004569/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Skwirl posted:

Oh yeah, wasn't he one of the ones who was almost immediately talking about it had to be made in a lab?

Found it in my post history.

J Detan posted:

Is Jonathan Blow being a shithead news, or did everyone know already?

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/1262446825237172224

Zesty posted:

Here's his stuff from March:

Here's some twitter likes of his:

Zesty has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Sep 16, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
But wait! There's more!

From the #MeToo thread:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Since he's apparently trying to wipe things in the wake of the Braid remaster announcement, a fun reminder about mr. Jon Blow

https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/1291490654938259456
https://twitter.com/hEnereyG/status/942651723998420993

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So yeah. If I was a racist and misogynist, I'd be saying stupid poo poo like this as well:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

More like Jonathan Blows

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TA Metis posted:

what the gently caress, source your quotes

The first Earthsea book: a well-written and self-contained adventure where the protagonist does things.
Most of the following Earthsea stories: people wander in circles mulling over doing something, half the time they don't do anything at all(the other half they finally do something by the last chapter) and usually the situation is resolved by some complete outsider, random event or thing that only gets explained in a later story.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Syd Midnight posted:

and Joanna Russ wrote some good scifi.

open a thread for both

My perspective is that literature studies are broadly about the stories we tell each other, and storytelling is something incredibly human that we've been doing for 200 000 years. We have a strong instinctive and cultural need to share stories, whether to entertain or educate or titillate.

So yeah, I'm not being ironic when I say I can't wait for a literary discussion of Star Trek slash fiction. If you want to study stories and you limit yourself to arbitrarily defined "fine literature" (which, interestingly, frequently turns out to be dead European men, hmmmm) then you're limiting your perspective on why we do the things we do. I mean, I'm laughing about it a little, but I also think it's important and worth talking about.

Meanwhile, talking about this class with my mother reignited her indignation about Ursula K. Le Guin, because I think she read The Left Hand Of Darkness in the past year or two for the first time, and she's just kind of gently outraged that she could have been reading Le Guin all this time but she doesn't get considered to be "literature" even though Margaret Atwood writes speculative fiction all the time and she gets to be recognized as literary, so now my mom had to be in her sixties before discovering this really great author she likes because of arbitrary definitions about what is and isn't worth reading!!!

Edit: for the record, my mom is also a life-long fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars and she got hilariously indignant when I had to explain to her about chuds angry that there are women in Star Wars now because they feel that Star Wars is theirs and not for icky girls.

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Sep 16, 2020

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Whooops

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Sometimes quote IS edit