Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

That also sounds like Deep Ellum, Four Corners, Karbach, Buffalo Bayou - all places who focus on selling out/being acquired and fast expansion over making quality beer

Texas also has Altstadt which is a passion project coming from old money media tycoons and they have this brand new, very nice brewery in Fredericksburg. I got the wrong first impression from them, but they're cranking out lots of kickass German beers and they're high on my to visit list since it's not a long drive away from me... hell I might even do it this weekend. Their alt is the best I've had outside of Germany.

air- fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I was about to bring up Karbach as an example of a local brewery that grew at phenomenal speed. The funniest thing about Karbach selling out to AB Inbev was an editorial written by Brock Wagner (owner of another Houston brewery, St. Arnold's) effectively calling bullshit on Karbach after they claimed it was the only way to get enough capital to continue expanding.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Look, just settle this the old fashioned way. In a large caged dome of some sort in the middle of the desert.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Look, just settle this the old fashioned way. In a large caged dome of some sort in the middle of the desert.

Will there even be a Burning Man next year?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Burning man isn't a PLACE its a LIFESTYLE a way of living.

Just go burn down some large structure. Just not the forest please. The west coast is dyin. oh god

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I shop at Jungle Jims so all beer is Grocery Store beer to me.

Currently I'm drinking under a cloud by Jackie os and it's real good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I shop at Jungle Jims so all beer is Grocery Store beer to me.

Currently I'm drinking under a cloud by Jackie os and it's real good.

Which Jungle Jim’s?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The OG. We go every Sun.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Paul Proteus posted:

Need some help beer goons. Anyone seen 2018 Bigfoot on their shelves nearby? I'd gladly pay for it, shipping, and your troubles to complete this vertical. No idea how I missed it .

https://imgur.com/a/NePctHv

If you're in the SoCal area, I can pretty much guarantee you that these guys have what you're looking for: https://stuffedsandwich.com/
Give 'em a call.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Dear Canadians, ISO Taco Bell Wine

https://abc13.com/taco-bell-wine-jalapeno-noir-adds-to-its-menu-fast-food-changes/6422508/

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Eifert Posting posted:

The OG. We go every Sun.

Wife and I discovered Jungle Jims very recently and its revelatory in terms of its wine and craft beer selection. I was very impressed.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Congratulations West Coast, you now get the lager experience!*

https://twitter.com/MolsonCoors/status/1305891654415667201

*via some sort of contract brewing joint venture thing with MolsonCoors please don't look at Dick's political opinions, noooo

And if it tastes anything like how Tampa's brewery is compared to Pottsville's, oh boy you're in for a treat!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't give Yuengling your money.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont really boycott companies unless they get to "chik fil a" tier of bad politics, so unless they endorsed trump or whatever I dont think its a big deal. Anyways time to google what they did ha ha

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ohhh nnoooooo

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Same with Kirin (and therefore New Belgium)

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/10/amnesty-investigation-links-brewer-kirin-to-myanmar-military-crimes

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Control Volume posted:

ohhh nnoooooo

lol

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Control Volume posted:

ohhh nnoooooo

And there’s the lock for 2020 Poster of the Year

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

vivat virtute posted:

And there’s the lock for 2020 Poster of the Year

He wins every loving year.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pfffffff poster of the year spends over $100 shipping beer at postal annex :colbert:

I think Kirin takes the cake/wins the trophy/can't be topped with "WORST BEER COMPANY IN HISTORY"

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

i'm sure some German brewery did a Hitler collab

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I think Kirin takes the cake/wins the trophy/can't be topped with "WORST BEER COMPANY IN HISTORY"

Googles German beer companies from 1933-1945....

Edit: goddammit funky

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only german beer ill drink is Budwiser!

:911: god bless the u.s....aaaaaaaaaaaaa

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

the yellow dart posted:

Googles German beer companies from 1933-1945....

Control Volume posted:

ohhh nnoooooo

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%BCrgerbr%C3%A4ukeller

HOLY poo poo.

There's a lot here but almost immediately you will note that THIS PLACE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasteig

Is built on a NAZI LOWENBRAU BEER HALL and if that's not a horror movie waiting to be made, I dunno what is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Hey, so I'm moving to Everett, Washington in less than a month's time. Recommendations for breweries out there? I know a few out there (a close friend is head brewer at one of them) but I want y'all's input.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RocketMermaid posted:

Hey, so I'm moving to Everett, Washington in less than a month's time. Recommendations for breweries out there? I know a few out there (a close friend is head brewer at one of them) but I want y'all's input.

My favorite Seattle brewery when I used to visit there like twice a year was Reubens Brews. They made some baller rear end west coast IPAs.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

RocketMermaid posted:

you giving up the brewing game?

Kosher man
May 8, 2002
Yeah she is leaving us for what I assume and hope is better pastures. Sad we never got a chance to brew again but hopefully you come out to NC once the world stops burning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I was doing pretty good at avoiding IPAs:

Ardent - Atlantico

Ardent - Schwarzbier

Ardent - Imperial Stout with Vanilla and Cacao Nibs

Hamm's

and then a friend gifted me a couple good ones:

Tabol - Suture Self

Solace - In the Red Corner

and it was all down hill from there:

Benchtop - Robot Squirrel

Ardent - Moore St DIPA

That Moore St is bangin' though. Glad to be back in the rhythm of IPAs again.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ardent - Moore St DIPA

That Moore St is bangin' though. Glad to be back in the rhythm of IPAs again.

if anyone's curious, that's a rebrew of Brainstorm, our Narrow Gauge collaboration. glad you liked it and i hope the others didn't suck!

also, how was the Tabol? the owner with the money pushed out the owner who actually came up with the idea for the brewery, wrote all the recipes, culivated all the yeast strains over the course of a decade, gave up a better-paying job to pursue his dream, etc, and now one of our old brewers is making their beer

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tell me more about this, "hamms"

:thunk:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
He was great in The Town

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It's from the land of sky blue waters.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

funkybottoms posted:

if anyone's curious, that's a rebrew of Brainstorm, our Narrow Gauge collaboration. glad you liked it and i hope the others didn't suck!

also, how was the Tabol? the owner with the money pushed out the owner who actually came up with the idea for the brewery, wrote all the recipes, culivated all the yeast strains over the course of a decade, gave up a better-paying job to pursue his dream, etc, and now one of our old brewers is making their beer

The beers don't suck. The Schwartzbier really hit the spot when I needed something more substantial than a crispy boi that wasn't a stout or IPA.

I didn't know about Tabol's owner pushing out their brewer. That kinda sucks, but admittedly their beer is better now than it used to be. They used to have problems with consistency and just generally not turning out like you would expect. The Souls Urchin for example; it was very good this time and actually tasted like an IPA whereas the old old one was purple, flat, and tasted like leftover water from boiling spaghetti.

Suture Self is fuckin gnarly and I recommend giving it a try if you see it. First sip out of a cold can is so crisp you'll think it's a Kolsch until your brain finally registers the hops and then it just slowly transforms into an IPA on your tongue. Also it smells amazing.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

If "Get off my lawn" was a beer, it would be Hamm's.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH
[gruffly] Hamm's, are these fellers botherin' yew

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
sounds exotic

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8JgQxXO8U

So here's a fun hamms story. St. Paul Brewing Company (formerly Flat Earth, a far superior name) is located in the old Hamms building. About 8 or so years back I was there on a slow day and was chatting with the owner. Apparently the building has all kinds of secret passages, which is convenient as Mr. Hamm was good friends with Al Capone.

There is a button that you can press on the main level that rings a bell in one of the rooms in the basement. His best guess for that was when the feds would show up to get Al, Hamms staff would alert him, he would leave through one of the secret exits, head to the river and go downstream a bit for a few days, then come back.

It's a cool old building and Al Capone used to hang out in St. Paul a lot so it's plausible enough, and a cool enough story that I'm saying it's real. Anyways that's a hamms story!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Another cracking stout from London Beer Factory, part of Tesco's newest craft beer offerings.

Also had Vocation's 15 Mile Round Trip DIPA and Magic Rock's What Are The Odds DIPA, both excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The beers don't suck. The Schwartzbier really hit the spot when I needed something more substantial than a crispy boi that wasn't a stout or IPA.

I didn't know about Tabol's owner pushing out their brewer. That kinda sucks, but admittedly their beer is better now than it used to be. They used to have problems with consistency and just generally not turning out like you would expect. The Souls Urchin for example; it was very good this time and actually tasted like an IPA whereas the old old one was purple, flat, and tasted like leftover water from boiling spaghetti.

Suture Self is fuckin gnarly and I recommend giving it a try if you see it. First sip out of a cold can is so crisp you'll think it's a Kolsch until your brain finally registers the hops and then it just slowly transforms into an IPA on your tongue. Also it smells amazing.

yay!

Nic has only been gone a few weeks; i think the change in Tabol's quality/consistency had a lot to do with fermenting poo poo in stainless steel instead of only using barrels, which was their original angle. rob, their newish/our old brewer, is a wonderful human being who really knows beer, but the remaining half of the original partnership has some political beliefs i can't get behind, soooo...