Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

dodgeblan posted:

what suburban white mom isn't into wine?

dodgeblan posted:

to describe every woman over 35 who has reproduced, at which point it just seems kinda weird to me

they're describing every suburban white mom, not literally every mom. i don't understand how quote one doesn't answer quote two, insofar as I really don't think they're generalizing to the extent you think they are.

plus wine moms are funny and depressingly a big thing in politics, most leftists seem to use them as a shorthand for "middle class honkey who isn't giving up her position in society and weaponizes it to punch down," with Karens and Kevins getting at the same sort of guppy-inna-fishbull blithe cruelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

dodgeblan posted:

I guess what confuses me about is the generality- like what suburban white mom isn't into wine? At the same time I get the idea of the stock character of a middle aged woman who is very into wine and turns that into her defining character trait. But that's a bit different from the way it's used on the CTH adjacent pods- to describe every woman over 35 who has reproduced, at which point it just seems kinda weird to me

You're really overthinking this. Wine moms started as a self identifying thing. There were facebook groups of wine moms that would share "it's wine o'clock" lame memes. Then it became essentially the younger version of "soccer moms." So soccer moms refer to white suburban moms who spend their days driving their kids around to soccer practice, and wine moms are the younger version where they'll put their toddlers to bed at 8 and then drink wine alone watching the bachelor or whatever. It's not that special a term and not the first term ever invented to describe white suburban mothers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

joepinetree posted:

You're really overthinking this. Wine moms started as a self identifying thing. There were facebook groups of wine moms that would share "it's wine o'clock" lame memes. Then it became essentially the younger version of "soccer moms." So soccer moms refer to white suburban moms who spend their days driving their kids around to soccer practice, and wine moms are the younger version where they'll put their toddlers to bed at 8 and then drink wine alone watching the bachelor or whatever. It's not that special a term and not the first term ever invented to describe white suburban mothers.

It's become an interesting demographic since especially with covid they have a tendency to go shithouse-rat stir-crazy

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

joepinetree posted:

You're really overthinking this. Wine moms started as a self identifying thing. There were facebook groups of wine moms that would share "it's wine o'clock" lame memes. Then it became essentially the younger version of "soccer moms."

oh yeah this makes sense. Thanks!

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

joepinetree posted:

See I assumed they were the older version since there's only a window of a couple of years in which the kids need to be driven around to soccer practise. Perhaps "wine mom" is the default state and "soccer mom" is a brief, beautiful flowering?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i thought steph seymour had shot herself in the head so that's like a chrome mask hiding the pulped up side of her face where the bullet went in? pretty sure she buys a gun in the video because she's unhappy

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Often Abbreviated posted:

See I assumed they were the older version since there's only a window of a couple of years in which the kids need to be driven around to soccer practise. Perhaps "wine mom" is the default state and "soccer mom" is a brief, beautiful flowering?

kids play soccer from like 5 through high school that's the vast majority of their childhood

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Muppets On PCP posted:

kids play soccer from like 5 through high school that's the vast majority of their childhood

Are kids still playing soccer when they're in high school?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
well i mean high schools have soccer teams so presumably yes some of them are

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also your archetypical soccer mom often has more than one kid

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i don't think people use soccer mom as much anymore. it was just the equivalent affluent white mom (single income family who can afford the minivan or later suv) who's late-boomer early-genx in the 90s/00s, and now wine moms are the late-genx early-millenial equivalent with the reactionary exchange in cultural status symbol (i'm not a soccer mom like that old image of the self-identified cool mom, i can't be because i drink!). former soccer moms have ascended to being terfs or twitter reaction gif posters or whatever at this point

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Middle aged women who are affluent, white, and very online.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

We had a somewhat notorious pundit that would write possibly some of the vilest poo poo committed to paper, as in to come up with some examples, she wrote a piece decrying Kenyans for "being addicts for attention and outrage" when they mourned a thousand dead and later on the Garissa University Attack for mentioning the Charlie Hebdo attack and celebrated the Paris Massacre of 1961 comparing it to "disciplining an unruly child" outright becoming a literal wine mom when Trump became president.

Like, after the election she left her commentary position and now just tweets about getting hammered and watching whatever British shows she could get her hands on. At most she did an history book on the view that Nero was treated too fairly by history and that's about it?

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Breakfast All Day posted:

i don't think people use soccer mom as much anymore. it was just the equivalent affluent white mom (single income family who can afford the minivan or later suv) who's late-boomer early-genx in the 90s/00s, and now wine moms are the late-genx early-millenial equivalent with the reactionary exchange in cultural status symbol (i'm not a soccer mom like that old image of the self-identified cool mom, i can't be because i drink!). former soccer moms have ascended to being terfs or twitter reaction gif posters or whatever at this point

perhaps. "soccer mom" does seem to have an aspirational element to it that isn't relevant anymore. burning through your ADD son's Ritalin prescription so you can manage the house, drive the kids to practise, work your part time real estate gig and carry on an affair with the local boat dealer is pretty 15 years ago. nowadays it's just Qanon and substance abuse.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Often Abbreviated posted:

Maybe I am unduly influenced by the buzzfeed wine mom video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPTKxV5_O1U

And it's not like the term has to be super precise. But in my mind wine mom is the millennial mom (like Breakfast all day said) who not too long ago lived downtown and had a night life, but has now moved to the suburbs and slightly resents her young kids and needs a "me time" where she drinks wine and watches bad reality tv to fill that need for gossip. So there's this disconnect between the self image of the progressive, hip person she thinks she is and the reactionary, "we moved so that our kids only go to school with nice (read: white) kids" actual reality. Like, soccer moms, but with a nose ring and the knowledge that being an actual soccer mom is uncool.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Sep 16, 2020

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I have friends who are of were NYC artists and writers and they're well meaning, but always politically the dumbest loving people. I literally don't care about them are millions of working people in this city. I hate treating it like it's a city of only the wealthy, dilettantes, artists and podcasters.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkyjzy5h54

how did anyone take a single look at Fran Drescher and not realize that she's a mercenary wine mom? her entire job on the show is to be a wine mom for hire

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

joepinetree posted:

And it's not like the term has to be super precise. But in my mind wine mom is the millennial mom (like Breakfast all day said) who not too long ago lived downtown and had a night life, but has now moved to the suburbs and slightly resents her young kids and needs a "me time" where she drinks wine and watches bad reality tv to fill that need for gossip. So there's this disconnect between the self image of the progressive, hip person she thinks she is and the reactionary, "we move so that we kids only go to school with nice (read: white) kids" actual reality. Like, soccer moms, but with a nose ring and the knowledge that being an actual soccer mom is uncool.
There is something I find extremely creepy about the way some people talk about wine. The weird babytalk that just frankly admits they have a childish obsession with it, the corny wine-themed decorations, the way that if their social events will include drinking wine, they never fail to mention that mundane fact.

For example, I once got an unsolicited email from a local resident. They proposed that our department should create a "summer class" that would just be a bunch of rich people painting outdoors at wineries. And in the evening, they would stay at the local resort, which would do "catered dinners with wine." It was an outpouring of pure solipsism, but that "...with wine!" at the end still haunts me.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Sep 16, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Victory Position posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkyjzy5h54

how did anyone take a single look at Fran Drescher and not realize that she's a mercenary wine mom? her entire job on the show is to be a wine mom for hire

comrade fran would never be a mercenary

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Halloween Jack posted:

There is something I find extremely creepy about the way some people talk about wine. The weird babytalk that just frankly admits they have a childish obsession with it, the corny wine-themed decorations, the way that if their social events will include drinking wine, they never fail to mention that mundane fact.

For example, I once got an unsolicited email from a local resident. They proposed that our department should create a "summer class" that would just be a bunch of rich people painting outdoors at wineries. And in the evening, they would stay at the local resort, which would do "catered dinners with wine." It was an outpouring of pure solipsism, but that "...and wine" at the end still haunts me.

have you not met many people that drink alcohol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I drink a lot of alcohol. I would rather blow my brains out than say "Time for Daddy's treaty-treat" before I make myself a daiquiri.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Victory Position posted:

glad to be working

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
brutal

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

i say swears online posted:

comrade fran would never be a mercenary

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

fran drescher has been a communist longer than most people on these forums have been alive

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I drink a lot of alcohol. I would rather blow my brains out than say "Time for Daddy's treaty-treat" before I make myself a daiquiri.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

[don't] struggle session is the best one

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

the bear with me im swedish mug really makes this

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

swedes worst nords. fins best nords.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

for years i have wanted a gif of the one norwegian doctor in Kingdom screaming "drat sweeeeedes!!" at the sky, i should probably make it myself

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Finns aren't nords they're a different thing. Swamp people. Closer to the baltics than the nords.

Still better than Swedes obvs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Swap Qanon for russiagate for the liberal wine mom

Also late and possibly wrong thread, but that chart suggesting a sex-negative reactionary movement rising from terfs, exlcus, purity teens and such seems absolutely destined to implode in a hilariously embarrassing and particularly ironic sex scandal that makes the night of the wrong wives look dignified

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the wine mom thing isn’t generational, or overly specific, it’s just a shorthand for (largely white) women who, faced with the crushing reality of domestic suburbanism and the ennui of being a post-emancipated woman under capitalism, turn to alcoholism to cope, and the irony that this specific behavior is universally expected of them by society

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Doc Hawkins posted:

for years i have wanted a gif of the one norwegian doctor in Kingdom screaming "drat sweeeeedes!!" at the sky, i should probably make it myself

i'm pretty sure the doctor is a swede howling about danes

rightfully, since danes are the actual worst nords

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So that's what happened to The Ranting Swede

Ah, here we go

https://twitter.com/fireh9lly/status/1305791206270685184

Like tell me the middle of this diagram isn't going to be like 70% sex pests by volume

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the wine mom thing isn’t generational, or overly specific, it’s just a shorthand for (largely white) women who, faced with the crushing reality of domestic suburbanism and the ennui of being a post-emancipated woman under capitalism, turn to alcoholism to cope, and the irony that this specific behavior is universally expected of them by society

sure but the cultural acceptability and available of wine has changed, so instead of beer or liquor more women can afford to drink wine that tastes good enough they can maintain their own fantasy. you can get cheap drinkable wine everywhere in the US now to a degree that hasn’t always been true

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm pretty sure the doctor is a swede howling about danes

rightfully, since danes are the actual worst nords

aw man

i guess it has been over two decades since i saw it

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

KomradeX posted:

I have friends who are of were NYC artists and writers and they're well meaning, but always politically the dumbest loving people. I literally don't care about them are millions of working people in this city. I hate treating it like it's a city of only the wealthy, dilettantes, artists and podcasters.

Yeah, stop with the streamer erasure.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKqA2-lskUg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

brace belden being the victim of a solid year of child abuse does fit pretty well upon reflection