Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Apple Event Day! New watch model likely!

Event thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Comparison of all the watch models:
https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

No mention of the battery on 6, so it's probably still as trash as the 5. No I'm not salty.

e: Info on the 6 battery:
https://www.apple.com/watch/battery/

Looks like the 6 might have slightly more workout time than the 5. This is probably the only reason I'll consider upgrading.

6:

quote:

Up to 11 hours indoor workout
Up to 7 hours outdoor workout with GPS
Up to 6 hours outdoor workout with GPS and LTE

Tested with heart rate sensor on during workout sessions. Indoor workout tested while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Outdoor workout with GPS and outdoor workout with GPS and LTE tested without iPhone. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS) and Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS + Cellular); all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, streaming quality settings, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

5 (via https://web.archive.org/web/20200905063818/https://www.apple.com/watch/battery/):

quote:

Up to 10 hours indoor workout
Up to 6 hours outdoor workout with GPS
Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS and LTE

Tested with heart rate sensor on during workout sessions. Indoor workout tested while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Outdoor workout with GPS and outdoor workout with GPS and LTE tested without iPhone. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2019 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS) and Apple Watch Series 5 (GPS + Cellular); all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, streaming quality settings, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

SE:

quote:

Up to 6 hours outdoor workout with GPS
Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS and LTE

Tested with heart rate sensor on during workout sessions. Indoor workout tested while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Outdoor workout with GPS and outdoor workout with GPS and LTE tested without iPhone. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using preproduction Apple Watch SE (GPS) and Apple Watch SE (GPS + Cellular); all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, streaming quality settings, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

3:

quote:

Up to 5 hours outdoor workout with GPS

Tested with heart rate sensor on during workout sessions. Indoor workout tested while connected to iPhone via Bluetooth. Outdoor workout with GPS tested without iPhone. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2017 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS); all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 15, 2020

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Time to update the OP.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

If you have a Family Setup watch for a kid or whatever, it reduces your battery life while doing even less of the stuff listed under All Day Battery, but assumes you're on LTE for 14 hours a day.

quote:

All-Day Battery Life
Up to 18 hours

All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 60-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS) usage includes connection to iPhone via Bluetooth during the entire 18-hour test. Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS + Cellular) usage includes a total of 4 hours of LTE connection and 14 hours of connection to iPhone via Bluetooth over the course of 18 hours. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS) and Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS + Cellular), each paired with an iPhone; all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

quote:

Family Setup Battery Life
Up to 14 hours

Family Setup battery life is based on 14 hours with the following use: 70 time checks, 45 notifications, 20 minutes of app use, a 5-minute phone call, and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 14 hours with LTE connection and Find My location sharing enabled. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 6 (GPS + Cellular); all devices tested with prerelease software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, cellular network, signal strength, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What I assume is WatchOS 7 GM is available, at least on the Beta program.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So from what I gather the difference between a 5 and 6 is the six has:

The oxygen sensor
Newer CPU
W1 chip
Possibly a better battery?

Refurbished S5s are $100 cheaper than an S6.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The oxygen sensor
Newer CPU
W1 chip

I'd pay $100 for those. For me, my series 2 doesn't get the sleep app, so upgrading is a no brainer. Pre-ordered! :black101:

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Kinda happy series 6 isn’t a big jump from the 5. I love my 5. I just badly need a new phone this year.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah considering mine is still an S1 (which I got as a “free” warranty replacement for my S0) I’m not exactly chasing upgrade cycles, but honestly all I’m looking for is a fresh battery and waterproofing.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The oxygen sensor
Newer CPU
W1 chip

The 6 screen is 2.5 times brighter in standby also has 5ghz wifi.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Looks like the S6 has changed to "graphite" stainless steel instead of space black :(

Hermes still has SBSS though so it looks like a distinct change instead of just naming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Perplx posted:

The 6 screen is 2.5 times brighter in standby also has 5ghz wifi.
I thought they said the brighter thing, but the compare page says both are 1000 nits?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Really not feeling the need to upgrade from my 3. Doubly so since they are still selling the 3.

Maybe next year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ahahahaha the braided bands are $100!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

poo poo that means the identical knockoffs will be at least $10

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

lmao

Also, the only aluminum cases it comes on are blue or silver. You can't get a braided loop on a space grey case for some loving reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Paying $100 for an elastic watch band in 2020.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Was looking at the SE but really the only stand-out feature is the larger screen and faster processor. No always on display, no ECG.

Might just pick up a clearance S5 instead, they've been hitting $299 at Walmart lately.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I ordered one of the new loops. I used the sizing tool. Hope I get the right size on the first try.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I thought they said the brighter thing, but the compare page says both are 1000 nits?

It's brighter in standby mode. In regular mode they are the same.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

If you have a Family Setup watch for a kid or whatever, it reduces your battery life while doing even less of the stuff listed under All Day Battery, but assumes you're on LTE for 14 hours a day.

Yeah the kid watch constantly checking location and using LTE is going to use a lot of battery.

Plus whatever apps the kid manages to put on it and plays with constantly.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 15, 2020

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FCKGW posted:

Might just pick up a clearance S5 instead, they've been hitting $299 at Walmart lately.
Apple refurbs are $309 / $329 right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At what point will Apple start giving the watches away for free but the bands are $500.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The braided loop just looks like a perlon strap

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Interesting note: The new bands are only compatible with the SE and series 4 and up. Is this the first time bands have been straight up incompatible with certain models?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Interesting note: The new bands are only compatible with the SE and series 4 and up. Is this the first time bands have been straight up incompatible with certain models?

Which is weird because S1/2/3 bands work on the S4.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

Which is weird because S1/2/3 bands work on the S4.

The 4 is when they jumped to the new case sizes but they old bands were still compatible. The new bands are most likely wider now which would make them not fit in the older models.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Brighter in Standby mode” feels a little like they are just using up spare battery capacity. If it wasn’t brighter, the battery would last longer, right?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Think I'll get a 6. I always update when there's new health sensors and the 02 one seems good enough for me to update from my 4.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Damnit, I need to decide on a Nike model vs a blue standard. I had pre-event fully decided on Nike for the extra watch faces as there aren’t many good large digital watch faces with complications but that blue is beautiful and I love it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I wonder if that’s the shade of blue we’re going to see as the rumored midnight green replacement on the new iPhone Pros.

I guess the same might be said about the pastel-ish colors on the new iPads.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ordered my first apple watch, 44MM SE Black with the new blue fabric design (orange accent one?) I have three cheap bands on the way for $12 bucks, and a metal one and a fake nike one already here. I didn't see a way of adding apple care when I grabbed it on my phone, I'm assuming I can add it once the watch arrives? (October 1st)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Ordered my first apple watch, 44MM SE Black with the new blue fabric design (orange accent one?) I have three cheap bands on the way for $12 bucks, and a metal one and a fake nike one already here. I didn't see a way of adding apple care when I grabbed it on my phone, I'm assuming I can add it once the watch arrives? (October 1st)

Yeah you can do it right through the phone now but you may end up needing to call support.

edit: You may be able to call them now and add it to the order. I don't know if that works but it's worth a shot.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 16, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

LionArcher posted:

You have 60 days to add it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So I went with the blue and California poppy leather band. Upgrading from a Nike S4. The special Nike faces aren't enough to keep me from having my watch and upcoming new phone match. Plus my watch face now has a poop emoji. I wanted to get the red watch with the red solo loop but the loops aren't even available in that color yet so can't order it. That thing would have looked garish as hell on my wrist.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Endless Mike posted:

I looked at the braided version, saw the price and lol-ed.

Is it too much to ask for a watch face worth using aside from the Modulars?

The Coxie
Feb 14, 2008
Snappity snap, aw yeah!
Can anyone confirm that third party bands made for a series 5 44mm fit a series 6 44mm? It seems obvious that it would be yes but I’d like to check.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Series 6 models are up for preorder at Best Buy if you're into that sort of thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Coxie posted:

Can anyone confirm that third party bands made for a series 5 44mm fit a series 6 44mm? It seems obvious that it would be yes but I’d like to check.

Confirm? No. But they should.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Consummate Professional posted:

The Series 6 models are up for preorder at Best Buy if you're into that sort of thing.

Charging an extra $50 for blue with navy sport band for some reason.

Still can’t decide on blue vs Nike - have both on order and will probably cancel one before they ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Charging an extra $50 for blue with navy sport band for some reason.
That's the Best Buy Edition.