Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm probably a dumbass, but what does SE2 and SE1 stand for?

Presumably Software Engineer 1 and Software Engineer 2. Those are usually positions for fresh college graduates and someone with 2-3 years of experience respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

csammis posted:

At my last job that person was the CEO of the company :v:

When our new (remote) CTO started he wanted to fire some senior people because they weren't performing by the metrics of 'lines of code changed' and 'pull requests opened'. I told my wife this and she said "I just work in medical admin* and I know lines of code is a bad metric" :3:

* she's actually full-time unofficial IT helpdesk for a bunch of boomers counting days until retirement and part-time admin, from what I hear

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm probably a dumbass, but what does SE2 and SE1 stand for?

Software Engineer 1 and 2.

In a lot of companies, dev jobs have a ranking that looks more or less like:
- Junior, Associate, etc: fresh out of college/bootcamp and still learning, half a step above an intern

- SE1: a year or two of experience, junior dev

- SE2: plain old journeyman developer, starts at 3-5 years for most folks and can go for the rest of their career

- Senior SE: this is the first promotion that's not basically automatic with time in the job at most places. Still an individual contributor, but taking on more architecture and planning responsibility compared to a line dev. Rough rank equivalent to a junior manager

- Staff/principal SE: very senior expert who's probably spending more time in architecture and planning meetings than heads down coding. Rough rank equivalent to a senior manager or director

- Technical fellow: galaxy brain architect that gets called in for big strategic architecture or as support on really thorny and expensive problems, probably only a handful of these folks even in a large company. Rough rank equivalent to a VP, might report directly to a C-level

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

When our new (remote) CTO started he wanted to fire some senior people because they weren't performing by the metrics of 'lines of code changed' and 'pull requests opened'. I told my wife this and she said "I just work in medical admin* and I know lines of code is a bad metric" :3:

Well doctors get paid based on how many tests they run, why should developers be any different? :pseudo:

On another note, how should I bring up concerns with the dev team getting overloaded? In the past few months, the following duties have been added (in addition to the standard development stuff):

• QA full automation test writing
  • Production deployment monitoring
  • Production operation monitoring
  • Alert monitoring (emails + on-call rotation)
  • Prod support tickets

It's getting to be a little much.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Our company obfuscated the junior/mid/senior levels with position names that are impossible to discern experience from. I never have any idea how much experience to assume someone from another part of the company has.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Well doctors get paid based on how many tests they run, why should developers be any different? :pseudo:

On another note, how should I bring up concerns with the dev team getting overloaded? In the past few months, the following duties have been added (in addition to the standard development stuff):

• Prod support tickets

If you've got the team on your side (or maybe only loop in the lead) can you just measure it for a week or two? Rough hours of each of those for the team then take it to whomever and say 35% of time is on these new responsibilities which means what would be a two month new work estimate will now be three months. Probably worse with context switching and prod emergency situations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pedestrian Xing posted:

• Prod support tickets

Isn't this what they mean by "full stack devops"

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Its like a horrible cargo-culting of SWE oncall.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Volmarias posted:

Isn't this what they mean by "full stack devops"

full slog devops.

Nobody (at least not immediate management) super seems to care about site stability or whether our fancy browser testing detectably reduces defects. Mostly I feel like I have incentives to go through the motions on some stuff engineering leadership cares about but at review time they want business metrics for new product to be good. Yeah, I go on rotation and watch as dependencies I don’t control fall over. I write whatever browser automation tests QA dictates to me to be written in whatever framework we’re using this week. Otherwise I’m incentivized to ignore it and try to make business number better with new feature as demonstrated by cherry picked A/B test stats.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
Also late to the PM chat but my experience with a few good PMs has been that they've been able to bring the team along on why something is being built.

For example "We're building this new onboarding flow because we know if customers integrate with this feature they are twice as likely to renew their contracts, and currently only 30% of new customers enable this". That will also let you use the knowledge and creativity of the team to achieve that goal rather than them just plugging away at "As a customer, when I click Get Started button I will begin the integration wizard so that I can integrate".

Step one is obviously having leadership support for your teams working at goals like that and not feature checklists from sales, step two is getting good at data and experimentation to be able to decide what the most impactful thing to build is for any given goal. @johncutlefish on twitter is good in this space.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pedestrian Xing posted:

• Prod support tickets

Bring them up and then ensure that you are prioritizing those over stories.

"Velocity has dropped by 60% corresponding to increased completeness in the definition of done and prioritizing non-sprint work over sprint work."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Destroyenator posted:

Also late to the PM chat but my experience with a few good PMs has been that they've been able to bring the team along on why something is being built.

This is huge for me. I like working on stuff that feels like it creates value for people. If something seems dumb or useless I'll drag my feet hard on it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/1292331568330022913

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If we weren't remote, I'd prefer post-it notes, too

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
We’re migrating from a self hosted gitlab to azure devops and I’m really dreading this move. As far as I can tell you can’t group related repositories together and you don’t really have a per repository issue tracking unless I’m missing something so I feel like its all going to be a huge mess. I just wish we would move to github instead.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

If we weren't remote, I'd prefer post-it notes, too

Post-it notes with a webcam pointed at the wall and a robot to move them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Plorkyeran posted:

Post-it notes with a webcam pointed at the wall and a robot to move them.

Real talk I tried to rig this up with a lego mind storm set many years back.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
Living the Dream:

quote:

Sorry I missed your comment of many months ago. I no longer build software; I now make furniture out of wood. The hours are long, the pay sucks, and there's always the opportunity to remove my finger with a table saw, but nobody asks me if I can add an RSS feed to a DBMS, so there's that :-)

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

netcat posted:

We’re migrating from a self hosted gitlab to azure devops and I’m really dreading this move. As far as I can tell you can’t group related repositories together and you don’t really have a per repository issue tracking unless I’m missing something so I feel like its all going to be a huge mess. I just wish we would move to github instead.

Honestly at this point just move to GitHub -- that's the direction that Microsoft is pushing, and I'm pretty sure they're scaling down investment on the Azure DevOps platform.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Honestly at this point just move to GitHub -- that's the direction that Microsoft is pushing, and I'm pretty sure they're scaling down investment on the Azure DevOps platform.

I'm not sure where you're seeing this, but... no.

MS is putting a huge amount of time, money, and energy into developing and selling ADO. Their product strategy split is emblematic of the two opposed groups that hold a lot of power in the company: the new-school folks who want to be startuppy, build exciting new software, open source it, and make money selling services and mandatory ads baked into everything are the ones backing Github. The old-school folks who want to build boring enterprise software, send people in suits to sell licensing deals at staggering costs, and keep everything under tight MS control are backing ADO. Neither one is going away without somebody winning that fight, and senior leadership doesn't want either one of those groups to go away.

As far as the mechanics of ADO go, the actual repo part is a tiny piece, and the real functionality is in the project planning and CI/CD tools. Repo hosting in ADO is pretty simple because it's just Git, with a few bits on top that hook nicely into those project planning and CI/CD pieces so you can enforce things like "PRs must be tied to stories."

In general, ADO wants to group everything as "projects." Want to make a group of a few repos? Throw them in the same project, where they'll be associated with the project planning and build/release orchestration components of that project as well. If you want to link an issue to code, it wants to put issues against specific commits, branches, or build artifacts rather than repos.

Like a lot of Microsoft's in-house-developed, enterprise-focused products, ADO is very opinionated about how you should be doing things. If you learn the flow they expect you to use and adapt to it, it works pretty well. If you try to clobber it into working like another tool, you're in for a world of pain and manual secondary systems.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Space Gopher posted:

I'm not sure where you're seeing this, but... no.

MS is putting a huge amount of time, money, and energy into developing and selling ADO. Their product strategy split is emblematic of the two opposed groups that hold a lot of power in the company: the new-school folks who want to be startuppy, build exciting new software, open source it, and make money selling services and mandatory ads baked into everything are the ones backing Github. The old-school folks who want to build boring enterprise software, send people in suits to sell licensing deals at staggering costs, and keep everything under tight MS control are backing ADO. Neither one is going away without somebody winning that fight, and senior leadership doesn't want either one of those groups to go away.

As far as the mechanics of ADO go, the actual repo part is a tiny piece, and the real functionality is in the project planning and CI/CD tools. Repo hosting in ADO is pretty simple because it's just Git, with a few bits on top that hook nicely into those project planning and CI/CD pieces so you can enforce things like "PRs must be tied to stories."

In general, ADO wants to group everything as "projects." Want to make a group of a few repos? Throw them in the same project, where they'll be associated with the project planning and build/release orchestration components of that project as well. If you want to link an issue to code, it wants to put issues against specific commits, branches, or build artifacts rather than repos.

Like a lot of Microsoft's in-house-developed, enterprise-focused products, ADO is very opinionated about how you should be doing things. If you learn the flow they expect you to use and adapt to it, it works pretty well. If you try to clobber it into working like another tool, you're in for a world of pain and manual secondary systems.

I'm very familiar with Azure DevOps. I'd say it's overall, end to end, a superior platform in most regards at the moment. However, the name Github has a lot of sway in the industry and it's not in Microsoft's best interest to actively develop parallel, analogous features for two platforms that serve the same purpose. See: Github actions and Azure pipelines. A lot of the underlying code is shared between them but their ultimate implementations are wildly different and represent a ton of duplicated effort. Thus, the internal emphasis is likely on feature parity for the two platforms, then gradually sunsetting Azure DevOps over the next 5-10 years. In the short to medium term, I'd expect to see public recommendations to use Github for everything except for the areas where Github has no equivalent (manual testing tools) or weak equivalents (project planning tools).

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I don't really have a choice in the matter tbh. If I did we would stick with gitlab, but the company that acquired us some time ago is all in on Microsoft products so that's what we're going with. We have a ton of repos and services and stuff and gitlab worked very well for this since things could be grouped together in sane ways. I know you can have multiple projects in Azure Devops too but that doesn't really work with the project planning stuff as far as I can tell. Like we don't have teams that work on one project and only that project any given sprint, for example.

I'm not really sure github would be much better but then you can at least have per-repo issue tracking. The azure devops way seems a bit backwards to me.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

netcat posted:

I don't really have a choice in the matter tbh. If I did we would stick with gitlab, but the company that acquired us some time ago is all in on Microsoft products so that's what we're going with. We have a ton of repos and services and stuff and gitlab worked very well for this since things could be grouped together in sane ways. I know you can have multiple projects in Azure Devops too but that doesn't really work with the project planning stuff as far as I can tell. Like we don't have teams that work on one project and only that project any given sprint, for example.

I'm not really sure github would be much better but then you can at least have per-repo issue tracking. The azure devops way seems a bit backwards to me.

GitHub is a Microsoft product.

Putting that aside, you have to keep in mind that Azure DevOps was originally created in 2005 and has massively evolved over time. However, a lot of the top-level idioms are rooted in 2005 ways of thinking about things. They've broken down a lot of the walls between projects (which were originally intended to be totally isolated from one another).

There used to be thinking that you should have a single project, using the concept of Teams within a project to isolate permissions and work item management (work item permissions can be set at the Area level, and each team is provided a unique top-level Area that they can then subdivide as they please). You can then create higher-level teams to view work and boards across all the "sub-teams".

However, there is no way to subdivide or group repos within a team project.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

GitHub is a Microsoft product.

Putting that aside, you have to keep in mind that Azure DevOps was originally created in 2005 and has massively evolved over time. However, a lot of the top-level idioms are rooted in 2005 ways of thinking about things. They've broken down a lot of the walls between projects (which were originally intended to be totally isolated from one another).

There used to be thinking that you should have a single project, using the concept of Teams within a project to isolate permissions and work item management (work item permissions can be set at the Area level, and each team is provided a unique top-level Area that they can then subdivide as they please). You can then create higher-level teams to view work and boards across all the "sub-teams".

However, there is no way to subdivide or group repos within a team project.

Yeah I know GitHub is Microsoft, but apparently it's still not an option.

Well, I'm sure ADO is fine, the project management tools are certainly better than in gitlab for example. Not sure if it's a good fit for us though but I'll guess we'll see.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I keep seeing requirements that are crying out for elixir/erlang paradigms, but I know nobody else will agree to use it :qq:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What sort of requirements does it do well? I'd love to add another tool to my kit if it's really that distinct

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody else looked into OCR applications to turn screenshots of text into actual text? I think I'm done pissing in the wind when I get those and just want something I can quickly search through.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
AWS Rekognition can do that I'm pretty sure.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

At my work we use Abbyy FineReader and whatever Nuance’s solution is called

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm now I have to reconcile that with the image being technically company-confidential. I guess the typical thing is to convert to PDF so it makes me wonder if we have a license to something already. That's probably me best bet.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Apparently Hacktoberfest has just started and I'm thinking of joining to get some practice in.
However the tagged issues seem to be widely inconsistent in scope and quality.
For those of you participating, how do you pick what you're going to work on?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

scissorman posted:

Apparently Hacktoberfest has just started and I'm thinking of joining to get some practice in.
However the tagged issues seem to be widely inconsistent in scope and quality.
For those of you participating, how do you pick what you're going to work on?

The trolls have kinda killed it this year.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, apparently some YouTuber showed people how to make PRs and his examples were extremely low quality, so a whole bunch of people went out and made a bunch of garbage PRs right from the start. Sort of killed the mood for this year's Hacktoberfest.

Me, I might see if some of the npm packages I use have easy to address issues, otherwise, guess I'm not getting a free shirt. :shrug:

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
I like issues that are either bug fixes that I've encountered in the wild or are at least in libraries I use. It's instructive to actually set up a project you use and try to implement a minimal change.

Failing that I'd probably just work on a personal project since contributing to your own open source project is in no way cheating.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I'll take another look tomorrow, right now there are too many issues with either "do this trivial task" or "implement a ui".

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Well instead of pushing to master like I usually do on personal projects, I'll make PRs and then go merge them. Easy peasy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, apparently some YouTuber showed people how to make PRs and his examples were extremely low quality, so a whole bunch of people went out and made a bunch of garbage PRs right from the start. Sort of killed the mood for this year's Hacktoberfest.

Me, I might see if some of the npm packages I use have easy to address issues, otherwise, guess I'm not getting a free shirt. :shrug:

most frustrating of all is that you can do it on your own repos, i think. nothing stopping you from opening a repo and submitting poo poo prs to it

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Except the Hacktoberfest “rules” prohibit that exact thing too:

quote:

Bad repositories will be excluded. In the past, we've seen many repositories that encourage participants to make simple pull requests – such as adding their name to a file – to quickly gain a pull request toward completing Hacktoberfest.

You can even report repositories that exist for the only purpose of gaming Hacktoberfest.

I saw that they made Hacktoberfest opt-in by adding a topic to your repo, and they changed the rules so only PRs that are merged count towards your shirt. So I guess that’s a good first step, we’ll see who’s brave enough to put a target on their back I guess.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lol all my changes were to my dotfiles repo

I really am not much for actual personal projects these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I keep a journal in a private Github repo for maximum green squares. It also makes me better at remembering what the hell I'm trying to do at work