Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's a trend right now for taking an existing song, gently speaking the lyrics in a soft, breathy voice and playing maybe two notes every few seconds on a piano.

Anyway, it is the shittest musical trend on Earth and even managed to ruin Rhythm of the Night and I hate it.

John Lewis have been doing this for years at Christmas

the 81 runs from Slough bus station, past my old school, to Hounslow bus station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXFRXJzmUM

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/TrumpetSexy/status/1306258123724857344?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Every loving thread I read is posting about the wet eggs goddamn.

That's how eggs get to the deli, how did people think they got there?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What the gently caress? Seems to be in the grab and go bit as well. Meal deal? Sandwich, bag of crisps and 30 wet eggs, please.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s a fuckin great deal for that many eggs

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Wet eggs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They have too many eggs for the deli because nobody wants to buy food that been sitting out while people cough on it and paw at it so they're selling them off in bulk.

The weirder thing is that they're dated september 11th so either the picture is a week old or they're selling sacks of week out of date boiled eggs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wet Eggs did 9/11

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

justcola posted:

A friend of mine is against burqa's because he finds them oppressive. I am for them because people should be able to wear what they want, as what we wear stems from culture. Although on a deeper level I am against all traditions and identities and people should be able to be whatever they want.

What is a good book or writer I can read more into this? I can appreciate my friends point of view but feel I don't know enough about Islamic culture to make a decision.

It's a very thorny issue. 'Coerced intent' or 'internalised coercion' or whatever you want to call it, essentially the status of thinking the choices you're making are yours alone when in fact they may not be, is a subject that requires a lot of nuance. Sometimes it's not enough for a person to just say 'it's my choice' because there may be 9001 factors behind them including the obvious ones like patriarchal control. Is the person really content or do they just want an easy life so they're saying everything is fine? Is the choice to just minimise confrontation and act like everything's fine actually valid in of itself? Everyone has their own thresholds to both the main and the sub-questions.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
if you threw them off a multi storey car park I bet it would go pop and spray eggs everywhere

failing that it would make a great present to leave under some floorboards for a lovely landlord

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Every loving thread I read is posting about the wet eggs goddamn.

That's how eggs get to the deli, how did people think they got there?

in jars like god intended

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CoolCab posted:

in jars like god intended

That's pickled eggs, not regular boiled.

A surprising amount of the food you eat from sandwich places comes in blue bags covered in suspicious fluids.

Though that said there is an opportunity there for some enterprising sort to buy up all the eggs and pickle them all and sell them again at an inflated price.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

Presenting, the greatest article ever:

Look if these protesters would just calmly admit defeat and stop trying to disrupt things with their actions, we, the police, would be a lot happier, and isn't that enough to get them to stop it

Isn't 'getting floppy' a standard non-violent protest tactic?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Wet Eggs did nothing wrong

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
UKMT Autumn 2020 - Getting floppy with Wet Eggs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Apropos nothing:

if you are engaged in working from home and have an accident in your home (say trip over the power cord of your laptop while fetching a file or something), who do you claim against? Employer's insurance or your personal insurance?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Somewhere someone has had to go back to work for the first time since March and some disgusting coworker has come back with a giant bag of wet eggs to eat at their desk :manning:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apropos nothing:

if you are engaged in working from home and have an accident in your home (say trip over the power cord of your laptop while fetching a file or something), who do you claim against? Employer's insurance or your personal insurance?

Personal home insurance, probably. Which is why in the Before Times you could get a "WFH allowance" which subsidised heat/light/internet's which you otherwise wouldn't be using, but I expect could be argued to cover that sort of thing too, maybe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

Somewhere someone has had to go back to work for the first time since March and some disgusting coworker has come back with a giant bag of wet eggs to eat at their desk :manning:

There used to be a guy in our office who ate pickles all day - his desk drawers were full of pickled gherkins, pickled all sorts. He stank, his breath stank, his clothes stank - all stank of pickle.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Having a sexy pillow fight with the wet egg sack

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Wet rear end Egg

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't 'getting floppy' a standard non-violent protest tactic?

This took way too long to make

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

since when is Cool Hand Luke being remade

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's a very thorny issue. 'Coerced intent' or 'internalised coercion' or whatever you want to call it, essentially the status of thinking the choices you're making are yours alone when in fact they may not be, is a subject that requires a lot of nuance. Sometimes it's not enough for a person to just say 'it's my choice' because there may be 9001 factors behind them including the obvious ones like patriarchal control. Is the person really content or do they just want an easy life so they're saying everything is fine? Is the choice to just minimise confrontation and act like everything's fine actually valid in of itself? Everyone has their own thresholds to both the main and the sub-questions.
Isn't that true for everything though. Why am I wearing what I'm currently wearing? Is it because I decided to myself, or because I was shaped to by society and my family, marketed to by media and corporations, and subconsciously trying to project a certain image? I'm wearing blue jeans, which can get a person in trouble in the DPRK and fancy restaurants, but I don't think I'm wearing them for the ideological reasons they can get a person in trouble in the DPRK and fancy restaurants.

Zizek dresses like he just rolled out of the trash can, but is that deliberate or he just doesn't care? Either way, he still wears clothes (unlike some other philosophers), I assume because at least in part society coerces you or at least keeps naked hairy old men out of academia for the most part.

I think 90% of the problem people have with Islamic dress, regardless of any overtures to bodily autonomy or culture or lip reading, is just "it looks different and I don't like it", which seems familiar.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 16, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1306280491893616643?s=19

Blue ticks perpetually waiting for The Good Tories to turn up.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1306280491893616643?s=19

Blue ticks perpetually waiting for The Good Tories to turn up.

The Adult Baby rebellion is off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/local-lockdown-north-east-rules-18945698

Is teesside not part of the north east now?

Also far be it for me to criticize the government but perhaps we could have a standard set of rules rather than having different lockdown rules for every part of the UK.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Angepain posted:

Look if these protesters would just calmly admit defeat and stop trying to disrupt things with their actions, we, the police, would be a lot happier, and isn't that enough to get them to stop it

it's funny how the plod can't even deal with protestors being maximally nonviolent and compliant

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/local-lockdown-north-east-rules-18945698

Is teesside not part of the north east now?

Also far be it for me to criticize the government but perhaps we could have a standard set of rules rather than having different lockdown rules for every part of the UK.

Anything south of Durham is The South, sorry I don't make the rules

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if i was a police i would tell the protesters exactly what the most disruptive tactic is, that would get them to stop doing it right away

honestly if I was conspiratorially-minded I'd start suspecting that they actually don't find flopping disruptive at all but pretend they do because why would you just come out and say it like that. but they're probably just incompetent as well as dickheads

oh and in other news, an employment tribunal has ruled that present equalities legislation does in fact cover non-binary people, so at least something is going in a somewhat reasonable direction in hell country

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
the north east is anywhere you can buy stotties in greggs, imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also ask because if it isn't part of the north east that means some other part of the country is responsible and I don't think they would accept us being lumped in with them.

We might end up with a berwick situation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Berwick-upon-Tees

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Angepain posted:

I will always appreciate XR for being the living example of the total bollocks that is polite protesting.

So many people have this insane idea that there is a magical form of protest that is both non threatening but also effective. Well XR are the most milquetoast, decorous protestors ever and they are completely useless while also still being criticized for being too disruptive and alienating.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Angepain posted:

if i was a police i would tell the protesters exactly what the most disruptive tactic is, that would get them to stop doing it right away

honestly if I was conspiratorially-minded I'd start suspecting that they actually don't find flopping disruptive at all but pretend they do because why would you just come out and say it like that. but they're probably just incompetent as well as dickheads

or they are so lacking in self awareness they think complaining enough about how annoying extreme nonviolence is that extreme nonviolence will get turned into a crime. no wait the tories might actually do that.

quote:

oh and in other news, an employment tribunal has ruled that present equalities legislation does in fact cover non-binary people, so at least something is going in a somewhat reasonable direction in hell country

:toot:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Barry Foster posted:

Comrade Nature Goons, I'm sitting by the river having a beer and a whole bunch of insects are flying around above me. What's with that? Who are these guys? Why am I so attractive?

Cause not being funny but I must look like pigpen right now. And yes, I wash

they hunt by your infrared body heat stank and the co2 what u exhale from breathing

river will solve both hot tip

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Random Integer posted:

I will always appreciate XR for being the living example of the total bollocks that is polite protesting.

So many people have this insane idea that there is a magical form of protest that is both non threatening but also effective. Well XR are the most milquetoast, decorous protestors ever and they are completely useless while also still being criticized for being too disruptive and alienating.

this is true, but at the same time, it shows how utterly loving stupid and incompetent the authorities are dealing with protestors who don't literally walk themselves into a cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sebzilla posted:

Personal home insurance, probably. Which is why in the Before Times you could get a "WFH allowance" which subsidised heat/light/internet's which you otherwise wouldn't be using, but I expect could be argued to cover that sort of thing too, maybe.

You can claim tax relief for the period that you were working from home. Employers should be able to do it but surprisingly are often unwilling, in which case you can submit a form to HMRC.