Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Put a deposit on the Renegade today, will pick up sometime later this week

:getin:

E: Reading a bit more about the SRAM Force 1, wondering if a 1x with the double shifter is the right thing for me. Anyone with SRAM want to share their thoughts?

Are you talking about the SRAM double tap design for shifting? It owns. I love it. I hate having my brake lever move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Are you talking about the SRAM double tap design for shifting? It owns. I love it. I hate having my brake lever move.

Awesome, I read a few articles comparing various group sets - which, btw, is a lot to absorb as a relative casual - and that was one of the criticisms.

I only took it for a single short ride around a few blocks, and it took me a bit to get the hang of it but didn’t seem insurmountable.

I am jonesing for a better bike and just don’t want to make an expensive mistake. Thanks for the feedback!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Anza Borrego posted:

E: Reading a bit more about the SRAM Force 1, wondering if a 1x with the double shifter is the right thing for me. Anyone with SRAM want to share their thoughts?

I have an Apex-1 bike and a Force-22 bike. What do you mean by double shifter?

Edit: new page derp. Double Tap is great and good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not a huge double tap fan but it’s fine and you certainly get used to it

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

You don’t love the vague, unassured feeling of a brake lever can move along two axes???

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vikingstrike posted:

Not a huge double tap fan but it’s fine and you certainly get used to it

:same:

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002
Just picked up my bike today. Brand new Sirrus X 4.0. First time I've been on a bike in years, and boy did my legs start to hurt. Feel like I did a good job matching my gear to my speed. I think I want to get a luggage rack for the rear tire and keep my lock on that. I'll use to for luggage purposes too, so it's not like I'm getting it just for that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I've never liked double tap. I hear if you start on one it kinda polarizes you against the other.

Went to get lunch and it was so nice out I asked my boss if I could duck out for a bit, go for a ride, and make up the time in the evening. Ended up getting in almost 40km, getting a PR and third overall on a stretch of single track. It was so pretty out in the forest. I love fall riding.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You know what really sucks? When one (or more) bikes has STI and the other has doubletap. Gonna miss some shifts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
It’s a tad bit smokey in Portland

Riding with a mask, not great, not bad, will do again.

This is probably the biggest flex I’ve ever done on a bike though. Masked up folding bike KOM. Was just about blowing the mask off my face exhaling, lol.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Urzza posted:

Just picked up my bike today. Brand new Sirrus X 4.0. First time I've been on a bike in years, and boy did my legs start to hurt.
Welcome back! It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

EvilJoven posted:

I've never liked double tap. I hear if you start on one it kinda polarizes you against the other.

Went to get lunch and it was so nice out I asked my boss if I could duck out for a bit, go for a ride, and make up the time in the evening. Ended up getting in almost 40km, getting a PR and third overall on a stretch of single track. It was so pretty out in the forest. I love fall riding.

I've used both, they both have their ups and downs. I like the SRAM stuff for not having so much travel with the cable pull...Shimano stuff can feel a bit vague and sloppy compared to the very quick and crisp response from double-tap. Plus as mentioned the brake levers stay still. Double plus, you can pull the shift paddle towards the bar with your finger and flick it to make clicky noises when you're bored.

on the other hand, SRAM front shifting is meh at best, sometimes you can gently caress up trying to shift to a lower gear and accidentally shift to a higher gear if you're trying to just shift one gear quickly. Shimano is very smooth, SRAM is very 'BLAM BLAM BLAM YOU'VE SHIFTED MOTHERFUCKER"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
SRAM doesn't shift the chain from one cog to the next, it launches it.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

e.pilot posted:

It’s a tad bit smokey in Portland

Riding with a mask, not great, not bad, will do again.

This is probably the biggest flex I’ve ever done on a bike though. Masked up folding bike KOM. Was just about blowing the mask off my face exhaling, lol.

Do the people you dunked on see the bike you did it with?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Unsinkabear posted:

Do the people you dunked on see the bike you did it with?

If it’s a bigger KOM I make sure to post a picture of it with the activity on Strava yes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nm posted:

You know what really sucks? When one (or more) bikes has STI and the other has doubletap. Gonna miss some shifts.

With your luck, the lever will snap clean off.
On the Shimano.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

EvilJoven posted:

SRAM doesn't shift the chain from one cog to the next, it launches it.
thats only on the front

and its such a serious get up and go that you gotta run a chain catcher or else

i still love the sound. KA-BLAM!!!!

never had issue with the RD

it was also very noisy in the best ways on the way down the cassette. tonk-tonk-tonk all the way down.

now im on Di2 and the only thing that makes noise is the FD and it's not a good noise...

it sounds like uhhhh, i dunno "zerrrrup" when shifting into the big ring and a simple "zup" when dropping into the small ring, it all works the best but the noise i think we all have to agree is kinda funny, and its loud too

the rear sometimes makes noise but its only like a small "zp" here and there.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 16, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When you shift a SRAM front derailleur to the little ring, it lets you know. It’s SRAM’s way of shaming you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

When you shift a SRAM front derailleur to the little ring, it lets you know. It’s SRAM’s way of shaming you.
53x28 would be a hosed up cross chained noise maker. I will violate rule 90.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 16, 2020

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

There are a lot of rail trails here and the Panhandle Trail that runs into West Virginia is particularly pretty this time of year.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I just did a bar tape, seat, and tire swap on my Checkpoint. I went from clincher 25mm GP4k to tubeless 30mm Strada Biancas, and switched the stock seat to a Brooks Cambium C15. I was riding high on 45psi of bliss and proceeded to completely eat poo poo cornering too aggressively on a slightly moist pebble finish walkway 3.5 miles into my work commute. Knee hosed, pride hurt, tail between legs and yet somehow managed to not get a scratch on the bar tape or seat. Feels good man.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren: :siren: :siren: TrashKit Update :siren: :siren: :siren:

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: IT’S SHIPPED :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

https://www.dhl.com/en/express/tracking.html?AWB=2702267481&brand=DHL

the bad news: I don’t get home from this work trip until the 30th :negative:

the good news: kits should start shipping shortly thereafter :dogcited:

fake e: it’s coming out of hong kong via DHL, there’s a real good chance it’ll fly on one of my company’s planes :shittydog:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My bar tape sucked so I got some new tape to put on. Can't wait to gently caress it up.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My bar tape sucked so I got some new tape to put on. Can't wait to gently caress it up.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is being good at taping bars an innate skill? I've somehow always been happy with my tape jobs. I'm also really into bondage.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

The hardtails I was looking at were:
Nukeproof Scout 27.5
Ragley Marley
NS Eccentric Alu EVO 27.5

All are Boost and 73mm BSA (so you'll need to get a 73mm crank, too).
Meant for 130-150mm travel forks, so the 120mm you have might ride a touch steep, but with 65deg HTA, it'll be ok.

Of these, only the Scout officially supported 2.8" tires, but it's sold out.
One reviewer on the Marley listing these said 2.8 will fit.

Stuff like headset might not carry over. You're already planning on getting a diff seatpost, and these are all 31.6.

Have to thank you big time for the recommendation. My marley frame came in today (it shipped from the UK on Monday, blown away at how fast delivery was). This frame is so light I didn't think anything was in the box.

I've been fortunate: The BB was actually a 73, they just used some metal spacers on the old frame to adapt it to 68. 27.5/2.8 tire is just fine, clearance is great. Waiting on the headset and for right now just shimming the old seatpost to get going for now. Hoping the 120mm fork doesn't goof up the geometry too much as I really don't want to have to replace it just yet.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

resident posted:

Is being good at taping bars an innate skill? I've somehow always been happy with my tape jobs. I'm also really into bondage.

My bar tape is bulgy and gross but so am I

resident
Dec 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

New thread title candidate

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I get maybe 3 out of 4 wraps down pretty solid. I’m pretty underwhelmed with the current wrap I did on dickwood, it was rushed and I didn’t really have the time to put into it that I’d have liked.

resident posted:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

New thread title candidate

:hmmyes:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I wrapped my own tape for the first time recently and it wasn't perfect but I'm pretty satisfied. There are definitely some flaws (especially near the hoods) so I guess I'll have to get more silly tapes to practice with.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
With wrapping it's good to know that really until the finishing tape goes on you can always unwrap/rewrap as much as you want until you get it to a place you're happy with. Having the right amount of tension on the tape while wrapping helps a ton too. I tend to get a good sweat going when I wrap my bars.

And hell yeah for the trash kit. Fingers crossed that I picked the right sizes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: TrashKit Update :siren: :siren: :siren:

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: IT’S SHIPPED :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

https://www.dhl.com/en/express/tracking.html?AWB=2702267481&brand=DHL

the bad news: I don’t get home from this work trip until the 30th :negative:

the good news: kits should start shipping shortly thereafter :dogcited:

fake e: it’s coming out of hong kong via DHL, there’s a real good chance it’ll fly on one of my company’s planes :shittydog:

My team kit is shipping this week to so it’s like kit Christmas.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I really need to start enjoying long rides in the dark/cold/rain because the PNW only has two seasons now and one entails toxic smoke.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I really need to start enjoying long rides in the dark/cold/rain because the PNW only has two seasons now and one entails toxic smoke.

I got a 3M half mask + P100 filters from Amazon on Monday because gently caress giving up my last good days of summer to smoke.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

resident posted:

I got a 3M half mask + P100 filters from Amazon on Monday because gently caress giving up my last good days of summer to smoke.
It really is shaping up to be a boring distopia.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’m trying to muster the motivation for another half mask ride, it’s not going great so far.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just rode through Amish country and it was outstanding. Random gravel patches, cobblestones(??), and horse poo to dodge. Outstanding countryside views, and lots of elevation.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

nm posted:

What also sucks: using either for mechanical shifting after getting used to campagnolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Legit good tape