Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean this is an SM58 but still

https://voca.ro/1mB4HVtwAooN

Ott_s SM57 clip sounds like someone recording into a phone and not even a last 5 years phone.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I recently bought an Allen & Heath Zedi10fx for synth mixing and occasional iOS recording. The USB functionality works great in Garageband with the camera cable, but I'd like to be able to take video with audio from the mixer. The mixer is 4 in/out USB and there's no way to send the mix to USB 1 & 2, which are the only channels the camera app records apparently. Does anyone know of a 3rd party iOS camera app that can record 4 audio tracks (or at least let me switch to recording USB 3+4)?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Random question: I was looking at Ableton's website cause my homie mentioned that they're offering 90 days of free Ableton Suite, and I saw that they have a student discount. Their process to get it is basically "purchase Ableton, then verify you are a student". Does anyone know what this verification process entails? Cause if it's just having a .edu email address it might be worth it for me before I lose mine when I leave my current job...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

They're not exactly shy about documenting what you need: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209072189-EDU-Order-Verification-Guide

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

:doh:

I tried looking for it from the purchase page but couldn't find it, thanks for humouring my dumb request!

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

massive spider posted:

I mean this is an SM58 but still

https://voca.ro/1mB4HVtwAooN

Ott_s SM57 clip sounds like someone recording into a phone and not even a last 5 years phone.

jfc i bought a fake sm57 on amazon a year and a half ago

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Ott_ posted:

jfc i bought a fake sm57 on amazon a year and a half ago

Yeah I kinda get the impression that you should never buy a microphone on Amazon, especially an SM57/SM58. You *might* be able to identify that it's counterfeit once you receive it, but there's basically no way of telling sight unseen, and Amazon gives no fucks.

http://sine-post.co.uk/2017/11/10/are-you-sure/

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I have concerns about counterfeit stuff on Amazon for sure, but one way to avoid that, if available, is to make sure you're buying something that is sold by Amazon, and not some third-party vendor. Counterfeiting is a major problem on Amazon, but as far as I know, the counterfeit stuff is not being sold by Amazon directly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Johnny Truant posted:

Random question: I was looking at Ableton's website cause my homie mentioned that they're offering 90 days of free Ableton Suite, and I saw that they have a student discount. Their process to get it is basically "purchase Ableton, then verify you are a student". Does anyone know what this verification process entails? Cause if it's just having a .edu email address it might be worth it for me before I lose mine when I leave my current job...

Word of warning- I bought the student version of Ableton 9 several years ago (back in like 2014/2015) and I wasn’t able to simply upgrade it to V 10. If I wanna upgrade I have to buy a full new version, which I wouldn’t have needed to do if I’d bought a retail copy of v9.

No clue if that’s changed with Student licenses for Ableton 10.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

guppy posted:

. Counterfeiting is a major problem on Amazon, but as far as I know, the counterfeit stuff is not being sold by Amazon directly.

There's supposedly a scam where people use the same sku or whatever for their counterfeit mic and it gets mixed in with amazons mic stock. I've never had this happen, and have never (that I know of) got a counterfeit buying from amazon itself, but people say it happens. Take that with as much salt as you like, though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ok Comboomer posted:

Word of warning- I bought the student version of Ableton 9 several years ago (back in like 2014/2015) and I wasn’t able to simply upgrade it to V 10. If I wanna upgrade I have to buy a full new version, which I wouldn’t have needed to do if I’d bought a retail copy of v9.

That's odd - I bought Live 9 Suite on the student discount and was able to upgrade it to 10.

e: Just checked my email in case I was misremembering this, but no, that's what I did.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I noticed barrel piezos are coming in style with a lot of clarinetists and that there is a company making instrument mounted mics for trumpets, trombones, etc. Has anyone used one or recorded someone with one? I always thought that the room/distance played a huge part in the sound of a woodwind when recording but I could see a close mic for on stage. Imagining telling someone you're going to mic their barrel then toss the raw digital file into Clarinet Rig.

Edit: adding a link
http://piezobarrel.com/products.htm

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 20, 2020

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Wanting to build a patch bay so all my pedals and synths are readily available by moving a simple 1/4" cable (I have too many instruments). Anyone else go this route? What patch bays would you recommend / avoid? Currently eyeing this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

khysanth posted:

Wanting to build a patch bay so all my pedals and synths are readily available by moving a simple 1/4" cable (I have too many instruments). Anyone else go this route? What patch bays would you recommend / avoid? Currently eyeing this:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SPatchPlus--samson-s-patch-plus-48-point-balanced-patchbay

You should ask in the Synths thread, they'd be all over this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hadlock posted:

Yeah they're already plugged in to surge/power strips. Flipping them on/off at the strip causes the krak-pow noises. Flipping them off at the panel on the rear is the only way to power them off without the noise

Not sure what you're suggesting by putting it on a light switch? Are you suggesting it is a cleaner contact to the mains power? This seems to happen independent of external switch type

I used to have a similar problem and I think I just had to wait until after the monitors were already on to power up the interface. Or vice versa. Something like that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

chippy posted:

That's odd - I bought Live 9 Suite on the student discount and was able to upgrade it to 10.

e: Just checked my email in case I was misremembering this, but no, that's what I did.

Weeeeiiird. I’m gonna look into that then, because I’d love to be able to upgrade instead of re-buying it

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Using quarantine to rearrange, paint, etc around the house and got myself a music room.

Not necessarily looking for recording but what are some cheap/diy resources to improve the acoustics in a bedroom-sized square box.

I saw some bass traps on the Musician's Friend daily deal but I didn't pull the trigger...wonder what's the 80/20 easy steps I can do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Curtains over that window would go a long way, as would some acoustic foam on the walls to cut down on reflections (echo).

My understanding of bass traps is that the size of room and traps you need for super accurate mixing in the sub-50 Hz range (or even sub-100 Hz) is well beyond what you'll be able to set up in that room. But they can't hurt in terms of cutting down reflections.

Oh, also this software is free and can help with assessing the room (assuming you have reasonably accurate monitors and a reasonably accurate mic.)

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, finally getting back into the guitar playing thing and messing around with songwriting again. I just got a Schecter C1 which seems really nice, along with a cheap USB interface for my PC. I don't have an amp right this second, but I figure I can just play through my PC speakers. My interface came with Pro Tools First and/or Ableton. Are those programs decent for noodling around, or is there something better I want to get instead? For now mostly just interested in playing and getting back in the groove, but I'll eventually want to try recording stuff too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ableton is great. Reaper is another good option.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
I’m working on doing some remote recordings with the band and am wondering what the best cheap daw for both windows and Mac is. Right now I’m thinking reaper but my drummer is former tech-Savy and I want the easiest thing for him to track to. The interface I’m giving him has Cubase le with it so I’m willing to get a Mac version of it exists for my use.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, finally getting back into the guitar playing thing and messing around with songwriting again. I just got a Schecter C1 which seems really nice, along with a cheap USB interface for my PC. I don't have an amp right this second, but I figure I can just play through my PC speakers. My interface came with Pro Tools First and/or Ableton. Are those programs decent for noodling around, or is there something better I want to get instead? For now mostly just interested in playing and getting back in the groove, but I'll eventually want to try recording stuff too.

What's your plan for guitar effects? Reaper or Ableton can be coaxed to provide those if you know what you're doing, but it won't be super intuitive.

For your purposes, I'd look around on local classifieds for a used practice amp that has onboard effects/modelling and a USB out. That would allow you to noodle around without booting up your PC, but also to record with effects when you want to start laying down tracks.

Something like a Fender Mustang I (v2 and up), the Yamaha THR series, Line 6 Spider V.

stoopidmunkey posted:

I’m working on doing some remote recordings with the band and am wondering what the best cheap daw for both windows and Mac is. Right now I’m thinking reaper but my drummer is former tech-Savy and I want the easiest thing for him to track to. The interface I’m giving him has Cubase le with it so I’m willing to get a Mac version of it exists for my use.

Yeah Reaper is pretty much the best cheap option if your goal is recording a band. They're also pretty laissez faire about reusing the same license, so you *could* share one license with your whole band, although it might be at least a little unethical. But also, if all you need your drummer to do is record stems, and Cubase LE will let them do that, well, it is free. But so is Audacity.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Effects is basically what I was asking about. I just kind of assumed there would be some sort of program or something that could do that until I get an amp.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Effects is basically what I was asking about. I just kind of assumed there would be some sort of program or something that could do that until I get an amp.

Guitar Rig and Amplitube would match that description. They're good, but they cost a small chunk of cash. Note: these are plugins that work with your DAW, so you still need to also get a DAW. There is a free version of Amplitube that might get you up and running with some basic effects:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/index.php?p=gear

But honestly, for the price of the full versions of those plugins, and given your setup right now, you'd very likely be better off looking for a cheap used modelling amp.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

you'd very likely be better off looking for a cheap used modelling amp.

For $60 you can get Positive Grid's Bias Amp 2 https://www.positivegrid.com/bias-amp/#section_addToCart which is pretty decent.

There's also a variety of free VSTs like the lepou amp sims that will do something similar for free https://vst4free.com/dev/258/

There's a bit of a learning curve but you can get good results after some tweaking. I still use the bias amp for bass and it sounds massive.

But if you're going to get a cheap modelling amp, I would suggest the boss katana mk2

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello musicians and music-adjacent enthusiasts. I have a question about setting up a home recording office-type space, hopefully this is the right thread for it. Basically, I recently moved and the layout of the new house doesn't lend itself well to a quiet recording environment. Before I had my own little corner of the house where my housemates didn't really spend their time, so their television/footsteps/conversation didn't pick up on my microphone. At the new place, however, the living room and their rooms wrap around mine and so there's pretty much constant background noise unless I ask them to be very quiet or go out somewhere for ~1-2 hours so I can get a clean take.

I'd like to stop being rude or feeling like a burden, and that's where you come in I hope! I am a complete novice at setting up a room for recording clean audio, so if you have any tips or advice on how to keep sound from coming into the room (doesn't matter if it goes out), I would like to hear them. The main sources of noise are the door leading to the hallway, and anything coming through the wall behind me which leads to the living room. As much as it pains me, it's not possible to rotate my setup as then the mic would be facing either the street level or the bathroom which would be even worse. If you've got any recommendations for stuff like sound insulating blankets I can hang up or weather stripping style tape to put along the door, I'll take em. Again I know nothing at all about this stuff so I will take any advice given that doesn't involve abandoning society and moving to the mountains to live as a monk instead.

edit: Also, they're not like goose stepping around blasting the screaming souls of the damned at 1 am or anything like that, it's just a tight enough space that the sounds of normal daily life pick up. So I probably don't need anything super heavy-duty or professional grade.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 7, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Are you mainly recording your voice? There are screens you can get to go around the mic that are basically miniature recording booths. You can find cheap ones on Amazon for under $100, or even make one for less than that. I'd try that first before trying to fully soundproof the room, because that's actually pretty hard to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I'm not actually a musician, I just record my voice for stuff like let's play commentary and live streams, but I take pride in having very clean audio and it's much harder to achieve here. Aside from the door, I only need to soundproof one wall since I am in a corner of the floor plan, so if there's a way to do it that's not TOO hideously expensive/difficult I'll do so. But if there's a barrier or something I can just like put behind me to reflect the sound or some kind of makeshift microphone jail cell, I'll bookmark it in case going that route is the only sane option.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I'm not actually a musician, I just record my voice for stuff like let's play commentary and live streams, but I take pride in having very clean audio and it's much harder to achieve here. Aside from the door, I only need to soundproof one wall since I am in a corner of the floor plan, so if there's a way to do it that's not TOO hideously expensive/difficult I'll do so. But if there's a barrier or something I can just like put behind me to reflect the sound or some kind of makeshift microphone jail cell, I'll bookmark it in case going that route is the only sane option.

You can make a mic shield really cheaply that will deaden most sound around you. Here's one you can make, and there are tons of videos of other styles with various level of effort / cost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ALeVjWAZI

EDIT: another one https://medium.com/@allanwhite/diy-podcasting-microphone-box-64668e6eb540

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Or buy one for not much more off Amazon, eg:

https://www.amazon.com/TONOR-Microphone-Isolation-Absorbing-Reflector/dp/B078WNW4YW/

Or this thing, which is basically the same as that instructable, but $38, which is barely more than the cost of materials to DIY it:

https://www.amazon.com/TroyStudio-Portable-Sound-Recording-Vocal/dp/B07MZZ36L4/r

The other (cheap) thing you can do is to weatherstrip the door so no air gets in or out. I'd start with those and see if it's enough before tackling the walls.

Here's a deep dive into more serious soundproofing: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/practical-soundproofing

Also, I think a lot of goons don't like Gearslutz much, but they do have a pretty good subforum on home studio building: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks guys. I think with some noise canceling headphones I won't be able to hear them and with one of these microphone torture cages my audience won't either. And as a bonus my mic will hopefully learn not to take life for granted during its time in the foam iron maiden.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Soundonsound did a test of some portable vocal booths in 2014 and to some degree they do what they say they do, but they always come with a bunch of side effects. They may amplify external noise in the low frequencies and they introduce comb filtering by reflecting part of the signal. In the subjective comparisons is often unclear if the resulting effect is beneficial, detrimental or if anything meaningful has changed at all. I'm not sure I'd spend any money on one.

Anyway, I just don't want to leave using a dynamic expander unmentioned. It's like a gate, but can be dialled in to be more subtle and natural. If there's a sufficient difference in level between your voice and the external noise (and your recording setup doesn't have horrible self noise), an expander should be very helpful to quiet down the pauses between you speaking.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but oh well what the hell! Anybody got recs for like, websites for generic sample noises you can download? I'm thinking just a wide variety of like, background noises I guess? Car honks, wind, birds, ocean waves, etc.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Johnny Truant posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but oh well what the hell! Anybody got recs for like, websites for generic sample noises you can download? I'm thinking just a wide variety of like, background noises I guess? Car honks, wind, birds, ocean waves, etc.

https://annotator.freesound.org/fsd/release/FSD50K/

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Within 2 minutes a great response, thanks!

quote:

The dataset contains 51,197 audio clips from Freesound totalling over 100 hours of audio

:eyepop: :psyduck:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

If you’ve ever used one of those: rip audio off YouTube to mp3 sites you can literally just do that if you find a video you like.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

got a real sm57 from sweetwater, can confirm the old one was fake. convex grill, doesn't spin freely, no inner ring on back, sounds like poo poo.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Recent impulse buy: Tech21 Doug Pinnick Sansamp bass rig in a tiny box. Between that and my old VT Bass I think I have enough bass tones covered for demo ideas (I am primarily a guitarist but i did start out on bass because my High School was all guitarists and drummers). I think the little DP Sansamp is a blast for goofing around but I wouldn't really ever use it like dUg would. I love Billy Sheehan as well so I could see it working in that realm with some work, but I tend to want deep and sparkly with my bass tones these days. Sorry, I digress as always.

My buddies who love King's X immediately demanded a recorded clip. I was extremely pleased my old Reaper 5.x key allow me to upgrade to 6.14 even on my new-ish (late 2018) PC:
System Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600 on an some ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS style mobo (I forget the exact model, but it has two nVME connectors if that helps narrow it down from 2019 when I had to upgrade).
32GB Corsair Vengeance overclocked ram
Not sure if it matters but it has the nVidia superclocked 1070 Black Edition in it.
2 nVME SSD, a couple other SDD, and a big HDD in there, with various other storage.

It's aging, but aging well so far. I figure it can run about anything I might throw at it because I don't go overly crazy with the number of tracks/FX I record.

Back to recording:
Happy as I was to have the latest Reaper up and running, I also was reminded what a poor choice I made when I bought a Lexicon Lambda 2x2 interface way back in the day. The thing is terrible. I decided to rectify that since it was my birthday, precious.

So I ordered a Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen and it arrives tomorrow. I'm actually pretty pumped about that, because being able to record four tracks at once gives me some options I might actually someday use.

Other gear I have for recording include two ok condenser mics (one of them is a normal pattern, but the other is that interesting bi-directional one that you can turn sideways and get a stereo input from if your mic-pre understands it, which my ART PRO MPA II is designed to do) as well as an old Behringer stereo mic pre that sometimes works ok and sometimes does not. The mic pres on the front of the Scarlett can replace that thing and I won't miss it. My only other mics are an SM57 and an old EV nDYM B, and I still have four of the old Radio Shack PZM mics from way back. I want some more dynamic mics (matching mics) for micing guitar cabinets when playing that way is an option.

That's the background, this is the big question, and I am sure it's been visited upon this thread too many times; but I beg please indulge me:

Due to my GF working from home (as a call center agent) and also being asleep when I am awake (due to our shift differentials) I need to record as quietly as possible about 95% of the time at home. To this end I am seeking a pair of headphones that will fit over my glasses and give me a starting mix I can actually work with, using the headphone out of the 4i4. I hesitate to call them reference but I suppose that is what I am asking for.

My budget really needs to be $300, but for the right gear I will wait and stretch it, make it a part of Christmas, whatever. Probably gotta draw the line at $400, though. Life is ok but not THAT great.

As far as design goes, I am hoping for durability, large over-ear construction with soft padding as a little sound bleed as possible, and the closest thing to long-lasting comfort a glasses-wearer can expect. I am not a headphone snob so I will happily entertain any brand that meets these needs and fits the budget.

Again, I am sure this is well-trodden ground around here so please forgive me for Kramering in with such an obvious question. The little Red Box arrives tomorrow and it's going to make me want to get some sounds recorded ASA (which I won't do because I am lazy and my job takes all of my energy.)

If you read all of this, may God bless you and keep you.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I finally got around to setting up my new Scarlett (2i2). We'll see how the whole setup works together, but I'm pretty impressed with the setup materials, they're very thorough. The unit itself feels really nice too, it's solid and the controls feel nice. If anyone was looking at it and wondering about connectivity, the connector on the unit is USB-C, but the cable it comes with is USB-C to USB-A, so you don't need a USB-C port or adapter. (If you only have a new Mac with only USB-C, uh, I guess you'll want an adapter.) I had ordered an adapter with it thinking I'd need it since all the product pages say it's USB-C, but not so. Oh well, never a bad idea to have extra adapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got my Scarlett working too although it was a PITA. I swear I had to register for like 5 different things and then when I first hooked it up the USB donk donk sound went crazy. It's going pretty good now though. Haven't tried recording anything yet though, just noodling around on my guitar for now.