Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Someone talk me out of trying to shoehorn a 285mm card in my case that claims to support up to 280mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Nvidia shot themselves in the dick by making all of these stupid 2x comparisons. It's a really good card but now everyone is like, wait what?

companies usually pull that poo poo to cause a rush on initial stock but there's hardly any cards available so that also makes no sense.

the bottom line is it's a pretty incredible card especially if you are on 4K.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

jisforjosh posted:

Yes though you also have people comparing it to the 2080Ti when Nvidia was explicitly comparing it to the 2080 in their announcement.

I mean, the 3080's counterpart in the current gen IS the 2080/2080 Super, not the 2080 Ti. That's the price bracket it's in, not $1,200+++, and it absolutely murders those things. The fact that it whips the 2080 Ti too is what makes it a really good value instead of just being :effort: like the RTX 2080 was vs. the 1080.

The fact that it's a solid 20-30% increment faster than the 2080 Ti also makes the claim that the 3070 will be on par or fractionally better than the 2080 Ti seem very plausible as well. And getting THAT for $500 will just be ridiculous.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they said up to 2x compared to the 3080 and by those measures it's true, as far as marketing goes that we're going to this far to try and find fault is impressive tbh

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think it's nearly what they hyped it up as by some metrics, but a marketing claim like "double the performance" even if true won't apply to every scenario.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Has anyone tested the 3080 for VR specifically yet? My 1080's fine for most things right now but kinda lacks oomph in my Index, especially if I want to supersample at all.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

axeil posted:

So what's the procedure for Microcenter tomorrow? I'm thinking of being crazy and showing up at 6 am but idk if I'll be out crazied by people showing up at midnight or what not. Anyone have any advice?

If you go, prepare to be disappointed.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i haven't seen any vr tests, but this is the first wave of reviews and focused on the FE in particular so there's plenty of time for the broad tests to happen

now i've only seen one reviewer bother to measure the back-blower, but most were just using water coolers and the ones that didn't and had closed-case never showed anything useful on internal flow. they're all saying it'll be fine though for those of you trying to panic

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

All of you gaming at 4K, what size monitor do you have? 27” is way too small DPI for desktop use and 32” basically means you can’t go dual monitor.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

desktop scaling has been around and reliable for a while now

the reliable part is relatively recent though

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Tried calling best buy twice today and haven't been able to get anyone on the phone. Guess I'll sit at the computer hitting refresh like the rest of you rather than try the store.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well apparently there's gently caress all stock anywhere.The biggest retailers in both the US and UK have literally double digit amounts.

I could see doing thousands on day one but why even bother to launch with double digits?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Josh Lyman posted:

All of you gaming at 4K, what size monitor do you have? 27” is way too small DPI for desktop use and 32” basically means you can’t go dual monitor.

Eh? I have a 27" that I use for WFH, and the text is somewhat small, but not unbearably so. I do wish I'd gotten a 32". Oh well.

As for not being able to go dual-monitor, I guess it depends on desk size? I have a 1440p next to a 1440p Ultrawide for my gaming setup; they're just on separate single-monitor arms. It does require a pretty big desk, though.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Even on a 27GL850 I use 175% scaling

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Republicans posted:

Has anyone tested the 3080 for VR specifically yet? My 1080's fine for most things right now but kinda lacks oomph in my Index, especially if I want to supersample at all.

Its probably going to be 2x as fast. You should have 0 issues with HL Alyx as well.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm running a 32" 4K monitor and 2 * 24" 1080P monitors flanking it, one in portrait mode. I have them mounted on swiveling arms though, so they aren't really taking up desk space.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Parallelwoody posted:

Tried calling best buy twice today and haven't been able to get anyone on the phone. Guess I'll sit at the computer hitting refresh like the rest of you rather than try the store.

In Canada I've been told that no stores will be receiving any stock. Any cards they do get will be used to fulfill online orders instead. Wouldn't surprise me if that was true elsewhere too.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

48" Samsung that I've been waiting for a solid 4k60hz card to come along :getin:

kloa fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 16, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s the exact time that partner cards are available? I’d like to try and get a jump on EVGAs stuff.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rubellavator posted:

I think it's nearly what they hyped it up as by some metrics, but a marketing claim like "double the performance" even if true won't apply to every scenario.

Yeah, but that's always the case. Not every game responds the same, after all, so you get weirdo outliers like MSFS or AoC that people will always point to in order to defend/attack some performance claim.

NVidia was pretty clear the "double performance" claim was about RTX performance, and it seems they're hitting that metric, more or less. If people didn't want to listen to the full sentence and just wanted to hear "double performance for everything, everywhere, all the time!" instead of what was actually said, that's their fault, honestly.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Gabriel S. posted:

What’s the exact time that partner cards are available? I’d like to try and get a jump on EVGAs stuff.

9am EST.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Josh Lyman posted:

55'' OLED and gaming from the couch like a civilized person :smug:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I think the most deflating part of the reviews is extrapolating that the 3090 won’t hit 1440p144 or 4K60 ultra with RTX on upcoming games even with DLSS.

People thought that Ampere would be fast enough for RT but it’s clear that’s not the case.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 16, 2020

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

VorpalFish posted:

Someone talk me out of trying to shoehorn a 285mm card in my case that claims to support up to 280mm.

A Thermaltake Core V1 buddy spotted?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I think the most deflating part of the reviews is extrapolating that the 3090 won’t hit 1440p144 or 4K60 ultra with RTX on upcoming games.

People thought that Ampere would be fast enough for RT but it’s clear that’s not the case.

Not even with DLSS 2?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Not even with DLSS 2?

even with DLSS

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Some of GN's results were showing worse frametime consistency with those overclocks.

This page does a good job explaining memory overclocking on the 3080.

techpowerup posted:

For memory overclocking, this means you can no longer rely on crashes or artifacts as indicators of the maximum memory clock. Rather, you have to observe performance, which will reach a plateau when memory is 100% stable and no transactions have to be replayed. Replaying memory errors reduces overall memory performance, which will be visible in reduced FPS scores. For the following OC testing, I took this into account, of course.

So GN pushed too far on the GDDR6X. I imagine this will be common at first until word gets out.

Is there a good benchmark that automatically does 1% and 0.1% lows to test that easily?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it can't run control at 4k60 with 5 different raytracing effects enabled simultaneously so it's a failure

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

repiv posted:

it can't run control at 4k60 with 5 different raytracing effects enabled simultaneously so it's a failure

4k55 is worse than death

And don't even talk to me about 1440p125 or some poo poo.

The more outrageous performance dreams were never going to happen, that's not nvidia doing something wrong.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the luxury $1500 Ampere card is not going to hit 4K60 with RT and DLSS - i'd say yes that means Ampere can't handle RT

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 3080 is nearly twice as fast as my 1080ti and that is plenty enough for me!

Fortnite is gonna be baller on my machine.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ultra settings are beyond idiotic, I don't feel like rehashing that argument again but they're completely useless and indicative of nothing.

kloa posted:

48" Samsung that I've been waiting for a solid 4k60hz card to come along :getin:

Like this dude is honestly of the impression that he can't game at 4K/60? Like in what crazy world is that not possible? You can do that right now on a base 2080 by turning down superficial settings you would never notice in a million years in practice.

It's not his fault, or any gamer's fault, it's this ridiculous ultra settings culture where you are getting 20-40% less performance because you are on VOLUMETRIC SHADOWS ULTRA instead of high when no one can tell the drat difference.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you're going to be turning down RT settings so you're actually going to be able to see the difference

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Modern games are full of settings where changing them from Very High to Ultra Max does nothing 99.9% of the time but shave off 10-20 FPS. Not talking about RTX or whatever.

Also there is no consistency from game to game so holding nvidia to "4k60 ultra" has no concrete meaning in terms of processing power they need to hit it with every current and near-future game.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Anyone in this thread poo poo talking the 3080 is sandbagging so they can get one for themselves.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

pyrotek posted:

This page does a good job explaining memory overclocking on the 3080.

So GN pushed too far on the GDDR6X. I imagine this will be common at first until word gets out.

Is there a good benchmark that automatically does 1% and 0.1% lows to test that easily?

Automatically? I don't know of one but you could just use the benchmarking feature for Afterburner with RTSS and display/log 1% and 0.1% lows and run some game or synthetic benchmarks

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm not going to turn on 200% resolution scale and 8XMSAA, are you mad?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

It's not his fault, or any gamer's fault, it's this ridiculous ultra settings culture where you are getting 20-40% less performance for because you are on VOLUMETRIC SHADOWS ULTRA instead of high when no one can tell the drat difference.

Which as I've said before its the game makers fault for not letting the user know what the gently caress this setting actually does in game. I don't really want to go watch a 45 min DF video on what every fuckin setting actually does.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'm not going to turn on 200% resolution scale and 8XMSAA, are you mad?

Buying a 3080 and running at 1080p medium to own people who bought a 3700X instead of a 10700K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

shrike82 posted:

you're going to be turning down RT settings so you're actually going to be able to see the difference

in the case of control, the medium raytracing setting (reflections only) gives the vast majority of the visual benefit

the further improvements from high raytracing are far more subtle but a massive performance sink