Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah by the time you're using mid-skill weapons you have enough ammo types everyone can have something that's just their thing. Some ammo is shared by weapons--some HMGs and sniper rifles share ammo, for example, as do SMGs and some pistols.

And each weapon skill has enough options you can fill in with some other ammo if you need. Off the top of my head, the ammo used by each skill:

Big Guns: 7.62, 50 cal, fuel
Small Arms: .45, .38, 9mm, Shotgun shells, railroad spikes
Automatic Weapons: 5.56, 9mm, .45, railroad spikes
Sniper Rifles: 30-06, 50 cal.

It doesn't run into the problem Wasteland 2 had where after a certain point every weapon (that I can remember being worth a poo poo) was using 7.62.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Lone Badger posted:

This happens if you ever swap out one of your original two rangers. Only fix is to delete them and make a doppelganger.

babypolis posted:

that bug only happens if you replace one of your 2 starting rangers

Thank you both. I really don't give a rip about my two starting rangers at this point, tbh

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
How do I get my rep up with the Marshals later in the game?

I've put in some hours, just finished with the gippers, but my rep with the Marshals is just at "liked". Unfortunately everyone I arrested i sent to Ranger jail, thinking there would be more chances further down the road to get in good with the marshals, but im worrid thats not the case.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You really don't get the opportunity for a lot of Marshal's rep later in the game, it really mostly stops once you get out of Colorado Springs

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Bit off topic, but Wasteland 3 got me into a CRPG mood after finishing it. Was sorta thinking of hopping back into Shadowrun now that all the DLC is out but I realized I want something a bit more fantasy which would make for a good palette cleanser before Cyberpunk 2077. There’s Divinity: Original Sin 2 DE, PoE II: Deadfire and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Divinity is already turn based but PoE II and Pathfinder added adapted turn based modes.

Was wondering what’s worth my time?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bit off topic, but Wasteland 3 got me into a CRPG mood after finishing it. Was sorta thinking of hopping back into Shadowrun now that all the DLC is out but I realized I want something a bit more fantasy which would make for a good palette cleanser before Cyberpunk 2077. There’s Divinity: Original Sin 2 DE, PoE II: Deadfire and Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Divinity is already turn based but PoE II and Pathfinder added adapted turn based modes.

Was wondering what’s worth my time?s

Divinity and PoE II are both great choices. Kingmaker is good too, but definitely not for everyone. I think you have to get a kick out of the right kind of character optimizing jank to really love it. edit: Which Shadowrun? Is there a new one? The last one I remember was Hong Kong.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 16, 2020

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

DOS2 and POE2 are both excellent games, can't go wrong either way. If you played the first POE especially, POE2 is an enormous upgrade in every way, it's one of the most improved sequels I've ever seen. I've made countless characters in this game and I actually roleplay them properly instead of just doing the objective "best" route like I do in most games, and I'm not sure what about the game draws that compulsion out of me.

I've played through DOS2 like 5 times but the gear is kind of boring, though the characters and just strange rear end sense of humour more than make up for it. There's so many ways to do things in this game, half the fun is just figuring out which way you want to use this time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cool, guess I'll go with PoE II. I was doing a quick bit of reading and it sounds like Pathfinder is pretty long, longer than I expected at least. Thanks.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Divinity and PoE II are both great choices. Kingmaker is good too, but definitely not for everyone. I think you have to get a kick out of the right kind of character optimizing jank to really love it. edit: Which Shadowrun? Is there a new one? The last one I remember was Hong Kong.

Yeah, Hong Kong. It's just been sitting in library for a bit.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 16, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

having beaten the game tonight all i really want to know is

what happened to kwons jacket/cape thing from his portrait and also seen in tutorial images he's in

that looks way better than the kind of generic beat cop look he actually has

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Probably an older model and they couldn't figure out how to stop the cape from clipping so they just removed it.

And speaking of other RPGs, any consensus on Torment? I backed the kickstarter but never got more than a couple of hours in since there was probably something else more shiny out at the time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lodin posted:

Probably an older model and they couldn't figure out how to stop the cape from clipping so they just removed it.

And speaking of other RPGs, any consensus on Torment? I backed the kickstarter but never got more than a couple of hours in since there was probably something else more shiny out at the time.

It was fine, I wouldn’t call it as good as Planescape: Torment personally but does an admirable job to a point. I found Disco Elysium more my speed and absolutely love it. My top game of last year.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Lodin posted:

fine, good setting, definitely incomplete execution

very sure progression of inxile projects quality improving from wasteland 2 (pretty lovely) torment (good but incomplete) and wasteland 3 (feels like an actual honest to god release)

torments super heavy on just text dumps like its spiritual originator but it kind of peters out by the 3rd act and the corners cut become more clear, still, i liked it enough to play it twice

edit: Its not Disco Elysium but if you want that but in a more conventional crpg format less adventure game format you wouldn't be far off

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 16, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Lodin posted:

It's very underrated in my opinion. Mainly because it tried to put effort into the story without being ironic or funny about it which invariably opens it up to people hating that side of it strongly. The writing is actually very strong I thought, it just didn't reach the impossible expectations people had for it. I really like the attribute and skills system and the combat is decent enough to be serviceable. Rhin is one of the best concepts for a companion in any WCRP's I've played and I'm glad I played it just for her.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah its pretty cool and different, and definitely has something to it, it is pretty short (like maybe 30 hours short for doing everything) which isnt a bad thing but i dont think was the intention of the game

definitely a game fronted at the peak of kickstarterdom and eventually came out after that whole era collapsed

but now inxile got that Microsoft money so maybe we'll get a really rad numenera sequel like WL3 someday, who knows, microsoft seems to just be throwing money at whatever these days

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Torment looks like utter garbage from TheGreatEvilKing's LP of it. It features some of the worst writing I've seen in video games.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

torment is what teenagers and sex pests like avellone think passes for deep.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and did anyone read any of the Torment novellas? I'm considering upgrading to the fancy edition and reading them before playing it properly. The three Wasteland 2 novellas was what got me really into the setting and made me appreciate the game even more.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

Always save before you swap people out. I had a character go -6 attribute points and totally reset atts from swapping out.

I found a save editor here that helped me set things right

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Lodin posted:

Oh and did anyone read any of the Torment novellas? I'm considering upgrading to the fancy edition and reading them before playing it properly. The three Wasteland 2 novellas was what got me really into the setting and made me appreciate the game even more.

I read them at release. I don't remember any specifics due to my terrible memory, but I do remember liking them.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So there's a thread on reddit (I know, I know) going on atm that's making me really rethink my position on the Machine Commune. For some reason I kind of clued in that Null-Stack is likely a part of the Commune but it was so pathetic that when it immediately tries to kill you and then starts blatantly trying to manipulate you I didn't really think about it. Now that I am though, it's clearly very hostile to humans and then you learn that its forcing the miner to gather metal for them to build more robots, which is a hell of a lot more aggressive and expansionist than the 'hippy commune' they try to sell you on.

It's also interesting to note that most robots in the game try to act as non-threatening and goofy as possible so you don't attack them, including the ridiculous one in the Monster Army that's completely safe and impossible to attack without fighting the whole army even though it's barely disguised. The Commune could very easily be doing the exact same thing on a much larger scale. They did just let a bunch of humans die when they very obviously could have prevented it and they try to engineer a situation that forces you into killing the Gippers in 'self-defense'. And then if they get control of the oil they give it to a bunch of raiders while not sending enough to meet Colorado Springs needs. Hmmm.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 16, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

It took me until level 16 and watching a YouTube video to realize you can use your Kodiak to run enemies over. It really made quick work of a Drool ambush just now. Lol I'm a dumbass

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gort posted:

Torment looks like utter garbage from TheGreatEvilKing's LP of it. It features some of the worst writing I've seen in video games.

This is a bit of an exaggeration, imo. it starts out very florid but gets more tolerable as it goes, and it has a refreshing lack of focus on combat. I'd at least recommend trying it for fans of iso rpgs.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Of the three PoE II was my favorite. Divinity II is great but I'm not always a huge fan of Larian's wacky sense of humor. Kingmaker had promise but the writing is atrocious even by the comparatively low standards of CRPGs and the load times are extremely obnoxious. It's the most difficult of the three IMO so if you're looking for challenge it might scratch that itch.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is the OptiLaser 9000 cyborg tech worth buying? Can it crit?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PirateBob posted:

Is the OptiLaser 9000 cyborg tech worth buying? Can it crit?

It can crit, its essentially an infinite use energy grenade on a one turn cooldown that goes into your trinket slot. You also need to be a cyborg to equip it, one companion comes as one by default and you can turn anyone into one by paying $1000 at the Machine Commune.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

deadking posted:

Of the three PoE II was my favorite. Divinity II is great but I'm not always a huge fan of Larian's wacky sense of humor. Kingmaker had promise but the writing is atrocious even by the comparatively low standards of CRPGs and the load times are extremely obnoxious. It's the most difficult of the three IMO so if you're looking for challenge it might scratch that itch.

PoE2 is a great game and I love it but I have to warn anyone.... you better have a ssd. On an OG XBox One the load screens are insanely long. You spend a chunk of time in a big city fairly early and it drags the game to a crawl. It's an amazing game and worthy every moment you play but that I have seen and read reviews of people losing their minds. So.... please give it a chance and enjoy it but if you are playing on the XBox One and go to a city.... keep your phone or tv on the background handy. Absolutely wonderful game and please give it a chance. Really an amazing gem.

Nephthys posted:

So there's a thread on reddit (I know, I know) going on atm that's making me really rethink my position on the Machine Commune. For some reason I kind of clued in that Null-Stack is likely a part of the Commune but it was so pathetic that when it immediately tries to kill you and then starts blatantly trying to manipulate you I didn't really think about it. Now that I am though, it's clearly very hostile to humans and then you learn that its forcing the miner to gather metal for them to build more robots, which is a hell of a lot more aggressive and expansionist than the 'hippy commune' they try to sell you on.

It's also interesting to note that most robots in the game try to act as non-threatening and goofy as possible so you don't attack them, including the ridiculous one in the Monster Army that's completely safe and impossible to attack without fighting the whole army even though it's barely disguised. The Commune could very easily be doing the exact same thing on a much larger scale. They did just let a bunch of humans die when they very obviously could have prevented it and they try to engineer a situation that forces you into killing the Gippers in 'self-defense'. And then if they get control of the oil they give it to a bunch of raiders while not sending enough to meet Colorado Springs needs. Hmmm.

Interesting point but.... I don't think Null Stack in Telluriam Mines is directly following the wants of the Collective. The Collective does value individuality and tends to not mind if say a bot wants to go to Ranger HQ and help repair your dudes. Is the Great Reboot what Null wants? Yeah. Is he dangerous? Probably, no matter you talking to him down or talks of peace, I could see this going badly in the future. The Collective for the most part aren't like that. Remember when you first meet the Gippers one of the Collective was coming down to save an injured human. Smarter thing would have been to stay clear but he didn't and got zapped for being a commie. Other than that you got doctors, vending machines, artists, gamers, sexbots and other guys trying to wonder about a dead turtle. The one synth, Tinker, you meet can actually discuss a peace. Guy just as easily will fight you but you can choose to try peace. He's safe in the collective. Oct 11 will straight up tell you that they will kill again and does. The voice sounding like a kid was used as deception but I am not sure that these bots really got the deceptive part of manipulation down like humans do. Dos at the Dept of Energy will straight up tell you she is the daughter of Cochise and wants to rise up but she's not the Collective. Again this is all conjecture and the like but my feelings say the Collective are good and the closest thing they get to supporting bad bots is not trying to get in their way. They just want bots to chill and get along and be free to choose whatever path they want. Kinda like humans. I can't see the Collective ending as its bugged but I thought it was said that they distributed the oil to everyone and not just Colorado Springs. That's not quite as bad as just sending it to the bad guys and fits their MO more.

ProletariBots Unite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_djIPTVcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCF1SvjTFQ

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 17, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Null Stack may be an rear end in a top hat. But on the other hand... Pico.

They may rush me. Maybe I should just try to... talk it out :allears:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

"The Great Communicator" rules as a truck weapon. I also unleashed hell on the gippers. to quote killer mike - "ill leave you with four words: im glad reagan dead."

e: so I don't double post, the sidemission with Santa and his drug making slaves was good but it still isn't marked complete after I confronted him. Same thing happened early in the game after I set the colorado springs doc up with drugs. I eventually finished the latter through a dialog option later. Hopefully it is the same this time too

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 18, 2020

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Lodin posted:

It wound up being incoherent and stupid. There are many reasons for this, most of which are demonstrated in this thread. I barely lasted half an hour before I checked out and uninstalled it. I can forgive a game for being bad, as long as I can at least lock in on what the designer was trying to present in the name of fun. This was just overwrought tedium, with no apparent design other than -- just stick that in wherever -- we need to pad this out in order to have something to ship.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 18, 2020

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ah well, I'm not really feeling like another huge RPG now anyway. Thinking of picking up Tony Hawk instead.

But anyway, Wasteland 3 despite all the jank is my favourite game of the year followed by Maneater and Animal Crossing, so there's that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you get to Loved with the marshals if you side with Braygo? There aren't many opportunities after that.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
On my first playthrough and after meeting Angela Deth my desire to play any more just kind of dried up. Their plan is to release a maniac slaving warlord on another area? Yeah no deal - I shot that guy right after he told me who he was - what the gently caress are you thinking?

Maybe I'll pick it up again in a bit, but the silliness of that reasoning really killed any desire to push further into the game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Angela is very stupid and a massive hypocrite. Fortunately you can tell her to gently caress off.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Angela thinks she can talk it out with all of the other factions in Colorado being cannibals, human sacrificers, and slavers.

The best option is to move the rangers to Colorado and depose the patriarch

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I should try a playthrough where I tell her and the Patriarch to gently caress off. If that's even possible.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can still side with her pretty easily while killing all the slavers. That's what I did!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It should have been properly explained in game but once everything is said and dusted in Colorado and Cordite has control of the Scar Takers his next goal is to gently caress back off to Kansas. There he's gonna wage war on the Red Legs who he used to lead until his second in command hosed him over. The dude constantly yammers on about his destiny and that is to rule Kansas. He doesn't give a poo poo about Colorado.
Well, he doesn't give a poo poo for now at least.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lodin posted:

It should have been properly explained in game but once everything is said and dusted in Colorado and Cordite has control of the Scar Takers his next goal is to gently caress back off to Kansas. There he's gonna wage war on the Red Legs who he used to lead until his second in command hosed him over. The dude constantly yammers on about his destiny and that is to rule Kansas. He doesn't give a poo poo about Colorado.
Well, he doesn't give a poo poo for now at least.

Meaning Angela is sacrificing Kansas. The exact same crime she accuses others of.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

its not clear but i think kansas is basically completely raider run by now which half explains angela's reasoning. doesn't help you can basically at level 30 go yolo and destroy all the gangs leadership and not have to rely on cordite to unite any thing but in a kind of "realistic" sense having a dude go unite all the rairders to invade raider country would make more sense than six people single handedly crushing an army of raiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

it makes a weird (short sighted) politcal sense but given the patriarch dies in like 2-3 years and just gives the keys to the rangers anyways even the 'good' angela ending seems kind of dumb like just wait a couple years and you get to same place