Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The concept of buying like 30 boiled chicken eggs in a sack of their own fluids is a little unusual yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

OwlFancier posted:

The concept of buying like 30 boiled chicken eggs in a sack of their own fluids is a little unusual yes.

Come now, we here at Something Awful respect other cultures :nono:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
An unrefrigerated sack

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
brb going down to the store to pick up a couple egg-sacs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe I've been living a lie but is not the major issue here that the sacks of wet eggs ought to be refrigerated?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The hrongus of the grundle is an unrefrigerated egg sack

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

weird and interesting

actually I don't want to read a book about clowns unless it's about accidents.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Bloop posted:

An unrefrigerated sack
An other thread pointed out it's next to sandwiches so the shelves are seemingly in a refrigerated case behind the snacks below.

OwlFancier posted:

It's something elses fluids so does that make it better or worse.

Data Graham posted:

Maybe I've been living a lie but is not the major issue here that the sacks of wet eggs ought to be refrigerated?
There is no reason eggs and milk can't come in sacks. It's just a ridiculous method of conveyance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No we don't put doors on our fridges, the shelves are just open and rely on constant refrigeration to maintain temperature. So they will be cool but not, like, very cold.

The grating at the front of the shelf is where the cold comes out. Frankly I don't get why it's that way but we have whole sections of the supermarket that are just open refrigerated shelves. If nothing else you would think doors would use less power

The chapo guys caused a minor twitter storm when they took photos of the mythical tesco sandwich section when they did their UK tour, apparently americans are horrified by the notion of open refrigerator units.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Sep 16, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

weird and interesting

actually I don't want to read a book about clowns unless it's about accidents.

It's not an unwritten rule if you form a weird egg gallery to maintain it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OwlFancier posted:

The chapo guys caused a minor twitter storm when they took photos of the mythical tesco sandwich section when they did their UK tour, apparently americans are horrified by the notion of open refrigerator units.

Every US grocery store has open refrigerator units.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Every US grocery store has open refrigerator units.

Yeah but they don't look like that... very clearly unenclosed area with the sandwiches and the egg sacks

e: and normally I'd be the first to tell you that poo poo tier european packaged sandwiches manage to be way better than US ones, but oh my god, apparently brexit has far-reaching consequences.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Sep 16, 2020

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Newer shops have fridges with doors on but there are a lot still like this.

When I worked at Tesco we got huge bags of pizza toppings in and when we had too many the fresh food guys would want to sell them in bulk (and we’d get local fast food places in wanting to buy them) but as there was no allergy info on the packaging we had the throw the lot away. Terrible waste of food really.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
euro bread quality is a gaussian, american bread quality is a gaussian, the gaussians barely even touch each other

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Any way you slice it, what appears to be 24 eggs for a pound is an unbeatable deal.

Buy one bag and have two days worth of delectable meals for 50p a day.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm drinking the egg juice, throwing away the eggs.

https://twitter.com/Livey_/status/1275126890626506753?s=20

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I can't find this "Chapo trap house refrigeration" tweet pic and I googled the sandwich section at a Tesco. Looks like normal open refrigeration shelves? poo poo, 7-11 has those for its sandwiched goods and cheese snackys. Most grocery chains in the U.S have these for veggies and fresh juices and what not. Unless I'm missing something about it? Please explain to me!

A sack of boiled eggs in "fluid" is very gross tho. Even at our Costcos selling bags of boiled eggs in not fluid is gross to me. Cold boiled eggs in general is nauseating to me. They gotta be hot/warm and eaten after a boil! With maybe pincho salt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno there was just a bunch of people apparently very worried by the fact that the sandwiches weren't in a closed refrigerator. Like I said it's normal to me so I don't understand the consternation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno there was just a bunch of people apparently very worried by the fact that the sandwiches weren't in a closed refrigerator. Like I said it's normal to me so I don't understand the consternation.

Maybe it's the same parasite that lets y'all tolerate monarchy

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I want to get one of those bags and pickle those eggs.

OwlFancier posted:

Use by 11th september so yeah, just trying to get rid of them. Hopefully that image was taken last week!

Fortunately the pic is old and the poster needed two weeks to process the wet egg sack.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

I mean if everything was wrapped up in their individual sandwich boxes whats it matter? :thunk:

I'm having some real concerns for people who may or may not have ever shopped at a local market...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they were also quite put off by the fact we have sushi trays in the same fridge.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I mean if everything was wrapped up in their individual sandwich boxes whats it matter? :thunk:

I'm having some real concerns for people who may or may not have ever shopped at a local market...

You mean the proles don't have their sandwiches made by their butler? How quaint.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you can buy sushi in grocery stores in the states too. this feels like some Mandela Effect poo poo.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I mean, those open refrigerators are loving awful, I used to have to take temps on them when I worked at a grocery store, and while the coldest bits were the right temp, the food never was.

And yeah, they're all over the US, maybe the form factor is a bit different which weirds people out?

Those sandwiches don't need much refrigeration though, they're packed in a CO2/CO mix that keeps bacterial growth pretty low.

E^^^ yeah, and if sold it's right next to the sandwiches.

I've been to a wide variety of grocery stores in the UK, and grocery stores vary more between States than they do between the US and UK.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Sep 16, 2020

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Elviscat posted:

I mean, those open refrigerators are loving awful, I used to have to take temps on them when I worked at a grocery store, and while the coldest bits were the right temp, the food never was.

Thanks for confirming what I always figured to be true but didn't actually want to think about too much. I was blissful in my willful ignorance.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they went and put doors on all of them at the store i go to, not sure if it was because of covid or what.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like when they have the plastic hanging down which doesn't really seem to keep the cold air in at all but does make it difficult to get to anything, creating the worst of all worlds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

A sack of boiled eggs in "fluid" is very gross tho. Even at our Costcos selling bags of boiled eggs in not fluid is gross to me. Cold boiled eggs in general is nauseating to me. They gotta be hot/warm and eaten after a boil! With maybe pincho salt.

People seem fine with storing things in fluid in cans and jars. I think it might help keep them from spoiling?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAardvark posted:

basically i play a game of Geoguessr and if i appear to be in bumfuck, nowhere, once i guess/find the actual location, i go look up the local restaurants. there is almost always something horrifying to be found.

e: sometimes it's just interesting if you play it internationally. like here's a hardboiled egg(?) pizza from a city in the ukraine, population 5k

Tag yourself from the cocktail menu, I’m the Mai Tai.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AlbieQuirky posted:

Tag yourself from the cocktail menu, I’m the Mai Tai.

I'm uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tom korma

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheAardvark posted:

I'm uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

tom korma

Tom Kolliniye? Should have gone for the mojito.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I can't find this "Chapo trap house refrigeration" tweet pic and I googled the sandwich section at a Tesco. Looks like normal open refrigeration shelves? poo poo, 7-11 has those for its sandwiched goods and cheese snackys. Most grocery chains in the U.S have these for veggies and fresh juices and what not. Unless I'm missing something about it? Please explain to me!
Ours look more like this:

and less like

I wouldn't expect that Twinkies shelf to be refrigerated, but it may well be!

eta: We don't buy milk off any open-cooler shelf anymore. It spoils well before it should.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Sep 17, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SlothfulCobra posted:

People seem fine with storing things in fluid in cans and jars. I think it might help keep them from spoiling?

All things egg related is gross except a carton of eggs or a carton of egg whites

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The stoner section of 7/11.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

and less like

eta: We don't buy milk off any open-cooler shelf anymore. It spoils well before it should.

wait so do you live in an airport or Canada?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hirayuki posted:

and less like

We have all this in the states! I'd kill for a refrigerated candy section...cold snickers top tier candy

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wait so do you live in an airport or Canada?

Canada has airports. He could live in a Canadian airport.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

We have all this in the states! I'd kill for a refrigerated candy section...cold snickers top tier candy
Yeah, but the U.S. version of the bottom shelf is never refrigerated. I think that's what's messing people up about the UK shelves: they look like normal shelves, not specifically refrigerated like the top two. (Both from U.S. 7-Elevens. The bottom picture is the "American" foreign-food section in a Tesco.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So like a regular aisle shelf just inside a fridge like area is what youre saying?

This shelf stuff sure is confusing, guys! What a pickle