Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I’m sure there will be a bunch of BC games but I’m extremely skeptical that anywhere even close to the full library will be BC

toxx over it then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Maybe it's because I pretty much skipped the PS4/Xbone generation (only having acquired a PS4 slim when quarantine kicked off), but are reactions to reveals usually this negative? I think Sony could go a long way to clear up confusion re: backward compatibility and show off more of the system's design/UX, and it'd be nice to see a few more truly "next gen" games, but I'm stoked to be able to play the PS4 library at Pro-levels while picking up PS5 titles as they come. It'll be especially nice as more games get upgraded (e.g., Witcher 3). I wouldn't be surprised if GoTsushi and similarly-recent games get upgrades. I imagine COVID and lockdowns are a big reason why Sony's been so missing/cagey with info, but I imagine that they'll start releasing more info in the 60-ish day window before launch.

e. Also the price increase for games is pretty good justification for the disc-drive version. You know that brick and mortar stores are going to cut prices before a PSN sale, and likely at a higher percentage too. You'll be able to get your money back after only a few games.

Hollow Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 16, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
[/quote]

Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio) – pre-installed on PS5
Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Destruction All Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Insomniac Games) – US$49.99/¥5,900/€59.99 (RRP)
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Mile Morales Ultimate Edition (Insomniac Games) – US$69.99/¥7,900/€79.99 (RRP)
Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV) – US$59.99/¥6,900/€69.99 (RRP)[/quote]

Prices for these games kind of all over the place.... $50 for Mile Morales, $60 for Sackboy, $70 for Demon Souls.

Uh, okay. That $70 price tag makes me hesistant to buy anything one day one if it's at that price, considering how fast things drop

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bidness posted:

Seriously, there's like one or two people saying this. It's not a thing.

Sorry this thread is going very fast and I just got home!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
specs

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Factum est posted:

but are reactions to reveals usually this negative?
lol yes

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

My thoughts on the Playstation thingy:

-Final Fantasy XVI has really dull visuals but the combat looks amazing.
-I burnt myself out on Spider-Man but I still kind of want to play Miles Morales.
-I feel really bad for Avalanche and everyone else working on the Harry Potter game. JK Rowling's transphobia crusade must be hanging over them like a storm cloud.
-Chris Redfield.
-New DMC5 content looks amazing. I hope there will be an upgrade path from Vanilla to SE, even across generations. :pray:
-The visual fidelity of Demon's Souls looks amazing, but I do not like the style change one bit. I feel like the game has been drained of its personality entirely.
-Sony said "gently caress Europe." :(

Sounds negative, but I'm actually really excited. I'll probably buy Miles Morales and Demon's Souls at launch. Might switch out MM for Godfall.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationCA/status/1306347808073625600

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

70 is the new price point they're aiming for with console releases, i think? It'll probably drive me fully onto pc if so

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Factum est posted:

Maybe it's because I pretty much skipped the PS4/Xbone generation (only having acquired a PS4 slim when quarantine kicked off), but are reactions to reveals usually this negative? I think Sony could go a long way to clear up confusion re: backward compatibility and show off more of the system's design/UX, and it'd be nice to see a few more truly "next gen" games, but I'm stoked to be able to play the PS4 library at Pro-levels while picking up PS5 titles as they come. It'll be especially nice as more games get upgraded (e.g., Witcher 3). I wouldn't be surprised of GoTsushi and similarly-recent games get upgrades. I imagine COVID and lockdowns are a big reason why Sony's been so missing/cagey with info, but I imagine that they'll start releasing more info in the 60-ish window before launch.

For some reason the ps5 reveals have suddenly had a lot of people not normally chatting about PS4 stuff post quite negatively. I am not sure why exactly but it has been weird.

I think I am overly excited for the ps5 so I am definitely viewing it all more positive than others but I have had such a good time with all four playstations over the other consoles I have owned that it is difficult not to be excited as all heck.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Fuligin posted:

70 is the new price point they're aiming for with console releases, i think? It'll probably drive me fully onto pc if so

It sucks but it'll be the same on PC if a platform-holder is adopting it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Any reports on how loud the PS5 is? If it's quieter than the loving vacuum cleaner called the PS4 Pro that would almost be a good reason to upgrade

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh wow they're undercutting the Series X by $20 for the disc version.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

its gonna be $70 for PC games starting 2021 when all the big boys are on board, just like the hike to $60

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty negative about it because I think if you want to sell a €400/500 console in the midst of a global recession, you need to be delivering the goods games-wise.
Nearly everything they've shown is coming out on the PS4, which everyone here owns already. The only game that interests me that's coming out soon is Demon's Souls, a remake of a game I've already played.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Astro7x posted:

Uh, okay. That $70 price tag makes me hesistant to buy anything one day one if it's at that price, considering how fast things drop

Yeah, $70 is close enough to $100 that I process the cost of a game as $100. That extra $10 on new game price will probably severely limit my new game purchases to absolute must haves.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Can't wait for the guilt of buying a $100 game.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well Sony very quickly ended the debate of how much next-gen games were going to cost

I don't understand why they didn't say that some of these games would be launch titles during the conference

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah this is a mediocre unveil but I missed the PS4 launch conference so maybe they aleays suck and everyone is just numb to it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JordanKai posted:

Graphically it reminds me a lot of FFXIV, which while not the most graphically impressive game today (its a several year old MMO) at least its consistent in visual design and on-brand?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JordanKai posted:

My thoughts on the Playstation thingy:

heh. I actually thought "wow FF actually looks visually appealing to me for once" but I highly prefer Fantasy FF vs whatever sci fi contemporary fantasy crossbreed thing they've been doing for years.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Pre-orders are up at EB in Australia.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fuligin posted:

That's assuming AAA PC games don't follow suit.

The whole industry could use this as a breaking point.

Ham posted:

It sucks but it'll be the same on PC if a platform-holder is adopting it.

Beaten

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

toxx over it then

Why would I do that?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Zaphod42 posted:

Graphically it reminds me a lot of FFXIV, which while not the most graphically impressive game today (its a several year old MMO) at least its consistent in visual design and on-brand?

veni veni veni posted:

heh. I actually thought "wow FF actually looks visually appealing to me for once" but I highly prefer Fantasy FF vs whatever sci fi contemporary fantasy crossbreed thing they've been doing for years.

Fair enough! High fantasy isn't really what I want out of a Final Fantasy game, especially when it looks like it doesn't really have a character of its own. But I'm at least glad that the people who want the Fantasy to be put back in Final Fantasy are getting their way for a change! :shobon:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

TheAgent posted:

its gonna be $70 for PC games starting 2021 when all the big boys are on board, just like the hike to $60

oh no doubt. Just makes me wonder, given the times, how many people are in my position where buying a AAA title or justifying a console is becoming more and more unattainable. not that these people are stupid, i'm sure there's a market for it

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Australian price for Demon Souls
$125

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE

LMAYO

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps5/267706-demons-souls

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

$750 is a spicy meatball. Thought it was gonna be 699

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

mikeraskol posted:

Based on what, the lack of games for the actual gaming system? I don't get it.

a cheap next gen console?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah this is a mediocre unveil but I missed the PS4 launch conference so maybe they aleays suck and everyone is just numb to it
people were happy about the $399 launch price and the "here's how you share games on PS4" commercial was a hit so compared to other launches it was amazingly positive

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

I paid my 1p preorder down payment months ago they better honour it

does yours say pre-order confirmed now? apparently its a new thing, guess they are honouring it. date is on there but still 1 pence. i never did pay it but its confirmed i guess

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Quantum Shart posted:

$125

LMAYO

holy gently caress how bad is that currency

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Quantum Shart posted:

$125

LMAYO

EB Games always charges too much. It'll be like 80 or 90 from a Target or Big W or maybe even JB

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Factum est posted:

Maybe it's because I pretty much skipped the PS4/Xbone generation (only having acquired a PS4 slim when quarantine kicked off), but are reactions to reveals usually this negative?

Oh yeah.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why would I do that?

lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

I guess this means pre-orders should be open early tomorrow morning in the US?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Factum est posted:

Maybe it's because I pretty much skipped the PS4/Xbone generation (only having acquired a PS4 slim when quarantine kicked off), but are reactions to reveals usually this negative? I think Sony could go a long way to clear up confusion re: backward compatibility and show off more of the system's design/UX, and it'd be nice to see a few more truly "next gen" games, but I'm stoked to be able to play the PS4 library at Pro-levels while picking up PS5 titles as they come. It'll be especially nice as more games get upgraded (e.g., Witcher 3). I wouldn't be surprised if GoTsushi and similarly-recent games get upgrades. I imagine COVID and lockdowns are a big reason why Sony's been so missing/cagey with info, but I imagine that they'll start releasing more info in the 60-ish day window before launch.

e. Also the price increase for games is pretty good justification for the disc-drive version. You know that brick and mortar stores are going to cut prices before a PSN sale, and likely at a higher percentage too. You'll be able to get your money back after only a few games.

Most people posting in these threads do so full time and are prone to making GBS threads on everything. The reveal was fine. The pricing is fair and there’s lots of cool stuff to play when they launch, just no 1st party stuff outside Demons Souls. In short, just play stuff on PC if you can :classiclol:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What a damp squib of a console launch. Compared to the amazing conference they did for the PS4 where everything was explained in simple, clear messaging, this just seems like total amateur hour.

Yeah agreed, people are saying "oh it's due to covid" but like covid doesn't make you not put release dates on your trailers and poo poo like that. Why is Geoff Keighley revealing poo poo on twitter that is more informative than their big presentation?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MechaSeinfeld posted:

$750 is a spicy meatball. Thought it was gonna be 699

Down under tax, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Roman posted:

Any reports on how loud the PS5 is? If it's quieter than the loving vacuum cleaner called the PS4 Pro that would almost be a good reason to upgrade

No actual reports yet but getting it quieter is apparently a priority. Cerny said PS5 throttles its CPU and GPU in order to hit a certain overall power target to keep heat under control.