Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

you can practically slingshot a pirelli superbike tire on a wheel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hello goons. I'm fine but I just crashed the DR in some mud about 10km up a fairly remote dirt road and it won't start, or even click. I'm goung over the clutch and stand switches rn but what else do I look for?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Hello goons. I'm fine but I just crashed the DR in some mud about 10km up a fairly remote dirt road and it won't start, or even click. I'm goung over the clutch and stand switches rn but what else do I look for?

Lights and dash working? If no, check your battery terminals, make sure a cable didn't come loose. If yes, put the bike in neutral, make sure your key is still in the On/Run position (dumber things have happened), thumb the start button and see if it tries to kick over

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Got it, it was the clutch switch which works backwards from what I thought. AND loose battery wires. Pulled it out and I'm good to go with bruised shoulder and an ego that may never recover. Pics soon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

congrats on not dying in the woods! (yet)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

You reckon? Yeah Bridgestone and Dunlop are basically made of granite but pirelli are super easy for me, the sportiest ones feel like elastic.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

you can practically slingshot a pirelli superbike tire on a wheel
Are you guys outside the US and are they selling us different compounds? Cause I've done a few Diablos this year and they were all a pain in the rear end. I've never done a Pilot that didn't feel great.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Got it, it was the clutch switch which works backwards from what I thought. AND loose battery wires. Pulled it out and I'm good to go with bruised shoulder and an ego that may never recover. Pics soon.

Grats on your bush repair and getting back out safely! That's not an ego hit, that's a pat on the back.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Oh man, I remember crashing at 5mph.in the rain, and futilely mashing the start button over and over while traffic backed up and stared at me.

there's a crash switch, and you have to reset it by turning the key on and off

Congrats on handling your mud bath with aplomb.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Are you guys outside the US and are they selling us different compounds? Cause I've done a few Diablos this year and they were all a pain in the rear end. I've never done a Pilot that didn't feel great.

Last pirellis I mounted were on a terrible zx6 a few days ago. I was able to get one side fully on both front and rear onto the rim just shoving it on by hand, they were angel GT's and the diablos feel paper thin by comparison. Is this like how American chocolate and cheese are mostly awful?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lol here it is, looks lots smaller than it felt. I lost control for a second about a foot into the start of the water back there at maybe 50kph, recovered it, then hit that large patch that turned out to be about 10 inches deep and just hosed it. I'm not 100% sure what happened next but I ended up rolling over the top of the bike, tucking my chin in and doing two rolls over my right shoulder (without hitting my head, thanks BJJ!) before coming to a stop about twice as far along as the bike.

Pushed it about 2km back down the road before the adrenaline wore off and I figured out that it must be a safety switch. Also twisted the handlebars a little but bent them back putting the front wheel against a fence post and throwing my weight into it. Then I carefully rode 75km home. What do I need to check?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

looks like you're on dirt so that crash doesn't count

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The local supermoto track officially has a crash on asphalt and you're done for the day policy (not really enforced unless you're an idiot from what I can tell), but you can crash on the dirt all you want so yeah, dirt doesn't count

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol here it is, looks lots smaller than it felt. I lost control for a second about a foot into the start of the water back there at maybe 50kph, recovered it, then hit that large patch that turned out to be about 10 inches deep and just hosed it. I'm not 100% sure what happened next but I ended up rolling over the top of the bike, tucking my chin in and doing two rolls over my right shoulder (without hitting my head, thanks BJJ!) before coming to a stop about twice as far along as the bike.

Pushed it about 2km back down the road before the adrenaline wore off and I figured out that it must be a safety switch. Also twisted the handlebars a little but bent them back putting the front wheel against a fence post and throwing my weight into it. Then I carefully rode 75km home. What do I need to check?

Loosen off the front end bolts and straighten everything out, everything in the fork is sort of tensed and partially twisted now so it needs to be relieved. Check the front wheel is still straight and the spokes are tight and straight, check the head bearings.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, thanks. I can do spokes and alignment and I'm pretty sure how to check head bearings, and I think I've got the process for the forks down from watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEmOqY02EU, I'll get on it tomorrow. I think I'll properly bypass the clutch switch while I'm at it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bypassed that clutch sensor after nursing my own DR home from the woods with goon help and I haven't regretted it for an instant. Now every time I start the bike I smugly think "good, gently caress you sensor".

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
alternatively just continue riding it because it's a tractor

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Is this like how American chocolate and cheese are mostly awful?

"American cheese" might be apocalypse chow, but there's plenty of cheese made here that's good. Hershey and Mars chocolate is admittedly poo poo, but so is most anything that isn't either small batch/local chocolatier stuff or Lindt. Cadbury's no good either.

Is Marmite still a thing in NZ?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've found that the only way I can minimize effort in mounting tires is to let them sit in my car to heat up then using the zip tie method. Everything else requires absolute savagery with multiple tire irons. I can only imagine what hand mounting a huge ultra low profile sportscar tire must be like.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, those tires are not going to handle that clay\mud poo poo well, I have aggressive non-dot knobbies on my no-poo poo dirt bike and they still load up with mud and turn into slicks.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

looks like you're on dirt so that crash doesn't count

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Somewhere there is a video of me hitting a patch of mudwater like that on a sumo and teleporting into the dirt. :lol:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

Oh yeah, those tires are not going to handle that clay\mud poo poo well, I have aggressive non-dot knobbies on my no-poo poo dirt bike and they still load up with mud and turn into slicks.

yea from the pic it looks like the front just shoveled out

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Is this like how American chocolate and cheese are mostly awful?

American cheeses and chocolates are good, actually. You probably just get all the mass produced, barely edible rubbish in NZ.

OK, thanks. I can do spokes and alignment and I'm pretty sure how to check head bearings, and I think I've got the process for the forks down from watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEmOqY02EU, I'll get on it tomorrow. I think I'll properly bypass the clutch switch while I'm at it.

You might not need to do this. I did this probably like 5+ times with no change. My risers are rubber mounted, so I just had to loosen them up and straighten it back out that way. Just FYI.

Edit: by all means feel free to make sure your fork is aligned, but don’t be like me and think you did it wrong because it doesn’t fix the problem, since it might not be the problem!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

"American cheese" might be apocalypse chow, but there's plenty of cheese made here that's good. Hershey and Mars chocolate is admittedly poo poo, but so is most anything that isn't either small batch/local chocolatier stuff or Lindt. Cadbury's no good either.

Yeah it's still a thing, it's never been my thing though, I think it tastes like refined stomach bile. When the factory shut down and it stopped being available there was a no-poo poo national outcry and now it's back.

Yuns posted:

I've found that the only way I can minimize effort in mounting tires is to let them sit in my car to heat up then using the zip tie method. Everything else requires absolute savagery with multiple tire irons. I can only imagine what hand mounting a huge ultra low profile sportscar tire must be like.

Nobody's done car tyres by hand since the stone age, the only reason bike people have to suffer so much is because 90% of tyre machines out there can't deal with bike wheels and anyone who has a bike specific one knows what they've got and charge accordingly. Even then some tyres are simply too awkwardly shaped for that to be viable and it just boils down to tire irons + ultraviolence. Car tyres are easy because they're wide, the hardest tyres of all are the super skinny 21" and 10" found on dirt bikes and scooters.

Toe Rag posted:

American cheeses and chocolates are good, actually. You probably just get all the mass produced, barely edible rubbish in NZ.

I mean there are several PROUD AMERICAN shops here catering to expats and morons (like me) and everything there is butter flavor (no resemblance to actual butter), peanut flavor, or otherwise is to normal food as monopoly money is to legal tender. I would've thought if any of it was good it would be in that shop but maybe it's like american cars - being garbage is a point of pride?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

immigrants

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Slavvy posted:

I would've thought if any of it was good it would be in that shop but maybe it's like american cars - being garbage is a point of pride?

exactly, americans want to be reminded of loving green bean casserole and other terrible garbage poo poo

I've got an aussie import store a couple blocks from me and I'm sure its full of marmite and vegemite or whatever and like uh tim tams.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheBacon posted:

exactly, americans want to be reminded of loving green bean casserole and other terrible garbage poo poo

I've got an aussie import store a couple blocks from me and I'm sure its full of marmite and vegemite or whatever and like uh tim tams.

Yeah "expat" shops are always full of garbage nobody eats anymore except out of duty or nostalgia. Things that were already out of fashion when the last wave of immies landed on whatever shore. Case in point: UK food shops full of licorice allsorts and jelly babies.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Yes. There’s vegemite too which is closer to the UK marmite.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The Rosso III tires I thought I ordered on ebay were Corsa III so I managed to pay for 12 year old tires. Sometimes ebay gambling doesn't pay off. Why ebay? Because Rosso III are made in 120/65r17 but that size is only available outside the U.S. for some reason.

Horse Clocks posted:

Yes. There’s vegemite too which is closer to the UK marmite.
Vegemite tastes like soy sauce solidified into a paste and mixed with yeast to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you desperately married to 120/65 for some bizarre reason? If not, just stick a 120/70 on there, there is no functional difference.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I mean there are several PROUD AMERICAN shops here catering to expats and morons (like me) and everything there is butter flavor (no resemblance to actual butter), peanut flavor, or otherwise is to normal food as monopoly money is to legal tender. I would've thought if any of it was good it would be in that shop but maybe it's like american cars - being garbage is a point of pride?
just lmao at judging "American" food by what you find in a shop set up in another country to sell souvenirs

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fifty Three posted:

just lmao at judging "American" food by what you find in a shop set up in another country to sell souvenirs

It was filled with fritos and cheetos and twinkies and all that other poo poo though??

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

Yeah I imagine stuff in stores like that is more nostalgia than being objectively good. At the risk of being obnoxious most good food stuffs probably don’t make it more than a few hundred miles from where it’s made. Beer is a notable exception.

Here is a motorcycle question: I found a gash in my rear tire, maybe an inch long. I don't have a tread depth tool, but using a butter knife and caliper, the gash was about 3.8mm deep and the remaining tread like 4.5mm. These are possibly wildly inaccurate measurements. Is that cause for concern? It's towards the center of the tire. I’m not sure how long it’s been there. I suspect it is new.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Are you desperately married to 120/65 for some bizarre reason? If not, just stick a 120/70 on there, there is no functional difference.
Potential clearance issues on the 1st gen MVs depending on the profile of the 70. Some 70s are just fine and some will touch the radiator under heavy braking. No one has an currently updated list so it's all trial and error on the 70s. But at this point I'm going to have to switch to 70s anyway.. The only 65s left are Pilot CT and Rosso III. I know in theory a 120/70 should have the same profile height but in practice they are different enough to matter in this case.

EDIT: I have Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa 120/65 190/50 on them now but will switch to the 120/70 180/55 on the next tire change and see how it works.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 17, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So Italian :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

So Italian :allears:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I had it in my head JT sprockets were good, but now I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a different company. Thoughts?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I knew there'd be previous owner fuckery somewhere on the DR, but for gently caress's sake.

I went to do the procycle jet kit. Got the first half done (new needle etc in), pulled the carb halfway off to come at the screws on the bottom and found this:

Guess I found out why he had an exhaust and no carb work. Didn't even think to look under there when I bought it. Looks like he's hosed it, tried to grind a slot in there, and hosed that too.

I tried fitting a large flathead in there and gently turning it but I can just see the metal deforming. How the gently caress do I fix this?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I suppose technically that is PO fuckery, yeah, but it's totally expected. Japanese carburetor screws are made of some sort of cheese. Not a hard cheese either

I'd try grabbing it with vise-grips first -- it shouldn't be in there that tight, and you might be able to loosen it enough that way. If that doesn't work, get a set of these screw extractors. Do not use a power drill for the extraction step! Use a drill with the chamfered end to clean the screw head, but then switch to a socket wrench for the extractor end and go slow.

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-St...00400870&sr=8-4

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Haha yeah, I'm aware the screws are meant to be soft, but the top ones came out no problem.

He's also hosed one of the two screws holding the cables to the carb so I can't even get it right off the bike unless there's another way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

For the price of pretty cheap you can also try a manual impact driver like this I've used them on those lovely aluminum carb screws before with good success, you line it up with the screw hole and give it some good snacks with a hammer, breaks those sgits right loose, also digs into the head as it impels the screw, which helps. It's useful for a variety of stuff, so it's worth having around for :20bux:

I always replace those terrible aluminum screws with stainless steel socket heads, you just have to be careful not to over-torque them, since the aluminum carb body is very soft in relation.