Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Last Celebration posted:

I can genuinely believe that it was an oversight since Chara World was a new thing in 3, which iirc was the first game to make the Clone geo panel effect only effect enemies as opposed to the first two. Plus, they, you know, did patch it out of 3 iirc(or at least made it way harder to pull off)

The funny thing is, I think the exploit was mainly used for innocent farming since the high end ones like Statisticians are super hard to get leveled and D3/4 let you hit above your weight to an insane degree anyway with the hosed skill boosting mechanics.
If I remember correctly they didn't patch it out, but they did drop the success rate through the floor on clones of your characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zereth posted:

If I remember correctly they didn't patch it out, but they did drop the success rate through the floor on clones of your characters.

Yeaaaah that sounds right. I remember staying on the old patch to do it some more but also being annoyed because that meant I couldn't get the Gig DLC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah they did. I had far, far more hours in D3 due to spending nights trying to farm dupes via that method and as soon as I hear about the item dupe bug in D4 I turned off auto updates to make drat sure I could abuse the hell out of it until I was satisfied because gently caress wasting hours upon hours the 'right' way.

I can't recall ever needing to dupe gear in D5 much, if at all. Getting maxed boosts for gear wasn't nearly as hard and that was the main reason for duping poo poo in the previous games. Sure duping a max level tetrahedrons was handy but most setups that insta-murder maps could get by without them due to just how over the top you could get with stacking bonuses from squads, evilities, magichange, and regular buffs on characters you've taken to their max base stats (30m?) via maxed classes + reincarnation and then those stat items.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I asked a couple of days ago about which Shadowrun I should play. For some reason I was under the impression they were like, Divinity OS 1/2-length games. I did not realize that they're not that long even all combined.

I already burned through Returns and I'm looking to continue into the next two.

Random thoughts/spoilers for Shadowrun Returns follow:

-Having only one character is definitely more Noir and probably much better for the story, but I think it also hurt the gameplay in that you really only get to experience one build per run (+ the generic people you add, but they have no influence on conversations, skill checks, etc).

-The final stretch was not fun. There doesn't seem to be an initiative system (enemies always go first) so I ended up using a lot of offensive point-blank overwatches just to move more attacks forward into The Round Where You Can Kill Things. Maybe if those guns were like twice as strong or available in all weapon types it would have been more smooth.

-Many characters are inserted and then dropped at the whim of the plot which made them feel like cameo characters I was supposed to know from the larger universe. After some research I found some of them are, but weirdly some aren't. For example Baron Samedi felt like a cameo to me, but he doesn't seem to appear to be anywhere else except this game(?). Just a guy who is set up as a major player with relations to the other major players who does all of one mission and then you never hear from him again.

-I think something broke and I was never able to use cyberware. My understanding is you just need the essence and money cost for them, but the shop always had everything greyed out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Returns isn't a bad game, but it really feels and plays like they spent most of their time and effort making sure the engine was functional and then put together a demo campaign to make sure it worked.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Saint Freak posted:

-Having only one character is definitely more Noir and probably much better for the story, but I think it also hurt the gameplay in that you really only get to experience one build per run (+ the generic people you add, but they have no influence on conversations, skill checks, etc).

This is something the series gets better at as it goes since you get a set crew in Dragonfall and then more interaction with that crew is added in Hong Kong. Most checks are protagonist driven, especially in DF, though your decker will be able to do all decking stuff for you if you bring them.

As a note, BioTech is pretty much best considered a dialogue ability since it tends to come up quite a lot in interaction.

quote:

-The final stretch was not fun. There doesn't seem to be an initiative system (enemies always go first) so I ended up using a lot of offensive point-blank overwatches just to move more attacks forward into The Round Where You Can Kill Things. Maybe if those guns were like twice as strong or available in all weapon types it would have been more smooth.

It's a real bad final dungeon. The weapon type doesn't actually matter, I think it used to (and the skills of the couple special characters you get for the last mission reflect that) but it was patched in some point or another so everyone's equally okay with them.

quote:

-Many characters are inserted and then dropped at the whim of the plot which made them feel like cameo characters I was supposed to know from the larger universe. After some research I found some of them are, but weirdly some aren't. For example Baron Samedi felt like a cameo to me, but he doesn't seem to appear to be anywhere else except this game(?). Just a guy who is set up as a major player with relations to the other major players who does all of one mission and then you never hear from him again.

A lot of this kinda stuff is opened in what I think was called the Shadowrun Anthology which came as part of the game (it's in the game folder) and is basically a set of short stories about characters relating to the game. As I recall Samedi's story is one of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overall I enjoyed (am enjoying? Unsure how much more I'll play, just got married, might fully upgrade my farm and such) the Friends of Mineral Town remake, but I really wish they hadn't dropped the stuff where the romanceable characters would pair off on their own. It's a fairly minor feature and mostly existed to 'punish' you for taking too long to get married, but they could have made them trigger slower or made their marriage events only trigger after you got married, or something. It was nice seeing other couples pair off, I really liked minor details like Popuri's brother being a nice guy who only really dislikes one other guy in the village and of course that's the guy Popuri marries. Made the town feel way more alive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah that's one of the weirder things the series dropped. hell with the games adding gay marriage as a thing you could do more interesting pairings with the villagers so dropping it is just kinda dropping potential for exploring more fun character bits

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Never again will they let you propose at another man's altar, after which the priest laughs and goes "A real man knows how to roll with the punches!".

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Saint Freak posted:

I asked a couple of days ago about which Shadowrun I should play. For some reason I was under the impression they were like, Divinity OS 1/2-length games. I did not realize that they're not that long even all combined.

-I think something broke and I was never able to use cyberware. My understanding is you just need the essence and money cost for them, but the shop always had everything greyed out.

Returns is more of a proof of concept. The other two games, especially Hong Kong, are really where it's at.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

If you enjoyed Returns then you are in for a blast with the next two, they massively improve upon the formula and dont have the worst final dungeon ever made

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

Overall I enjoyed (am enjoying? Unsure how much more I'll play, just got married, might fully upgrade my farm and such) the Friends of Mineral Town remake, but I really wish they hadn't dropped the stuff where the romanceable characters would pair off on their own. It's a fairly minor feature and mostly existed to 'punish' you for taking too long to get married, but they could have made them trigger slower or made their marriage events only trigger after you got married, or something. It was nice seeing other couples pair off, I really liked minor details like Popuri's brother being a nice guy who only really dislikes one other guy in the village and of course that's the guy Popuri marries. Made the town feel way more alive.

Wait they actively cut that? That's weird especially since you had to play for an incredibly long time for a Harvest Moon-like (5 years?) for the rival marriages to even happen. If anything I kinda wish they sped it up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The loss of rival marriages was really disappointing to me. I loved that part of the game, it made the community feel alive. Now all my friends stay single forever :smith:

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I should finish Dragonfall at some point, got about half way though and thought it was a massive improvement over Returns. I felt in Dragonfall you got the most out of it by being the lead Decker for the team. It just felt more natural, plus there is something later it helps with if I recall. I messed around with a couple builds and they were all pretty fun.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Thinking of playing through Arcanum for the first time, is the unofficial patch the way to go?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has anyone played Elex and wants to weigh in on a good faction to join because they all seem like they suck.

My choices are:
Tree hugging hippies who hate technology
Technology loving religious fanatics who kidnap and brainwash people
The bad guys from a Mad Max movie

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Wait they actively cut that? That's weird especially since you had to play for an incredibly long time for a Harvest Moon-like (5 years?) for the rival marriages to even happen. If anything I kinda wish they sped it up.

they took the feature out as the series went on which is a decision i disagree with but i can get, but yeah.

there's still rival events in the remake but only the first two trigger.

TA Metis posted:

The loss of rival marriages was really disappointing to me. I loved that part of the game, it made the community feel alive. Now all my friends stay single forever :smith:

and yeah. its a change that only makes sense if you view all the marriage candidates as just potential wives which is kind of weird. even if you dont want to marry them you can hang out with them.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Lazyhound posted:

Thinking of playing through Arcanum for the first time, is the unofficial patch the way to go?

Yes. It's one of those good patches that's mostly in the background and so you don't notice its meddling but then you forget to install it once and your face melts off

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWtkPs92Nc

Edit: Now that I actually watched the trailer, it looks pretty cool, but so did FF15 until we found out the combat system was "Hold X to win." I kinda miss the crystalpunk/modern aesthetics though, not gonna lie.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 16, 2020

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

So uh, Final Fantasy has completed its transformation from a party based game to a single-character action game?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Zore posted:

So uh, Final Fantasy has completed its transformation from a party based game to a single-character action game?

That happened already in Lightning Returns.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofWtkPs92Nc

Edit: Now that I actually watched the trailer, it looks pretty cool, but so did FF15 until we found out the combat system was "Hold X to win." I kinda miss the crystalpunk/modern aesthetics though, not gonna lie.

Obviously it's hard to tell anything certain from a trailer, but I'm pretty sure during the dragoon fight I saw the MC dash back with a phoenix wing out to dodge an attack with i frames. Very Dark Souls-like.

Switching between summons to augment yourself is probably going to be a core part of the combat system. We saw at least Titan and Phoenix in battle, and the story snippets suggested one of the early bosses would be somebody else augmenting themselves with Shiva

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sakurazuka posted:

Has anyone played Elex and wants to weigh in on a good faction to join because they all seem like they suck.

My choices are:
Tree hugging hippies who hate technology
Technology loving religious fanatics who kidnap and brainwash people
The bad guys from a Mad Max movie

All three factions suck by default, but you can kill and replace all the worst people in the Mad Max faction so if you want to try and fix things they are bizarrely the best choice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I mean it's possible there's party members and this footage is so early in development it didn't show them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

moves being imbued summons reminded me of Folklore. the setting in that game is ridiculously memorable and I wish everything else was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Infinity Gaia posted:

All three factions suck by default, but you can kill and replace all the worst people in the Mad Max faction so if you want to try and fix things they are bizarrely the best choice.

Cheers though that makes things worse since the Berserker skill tree looks way better lol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Zore posted:

It really feels that way. I know much of this is arbitrary, but man, when a numbered series suddenly throws a subtitle in, it's almost always bad, right? Also: Awakening? I mean, accurate I guess, but there are probably a hundred different things with "Awakening" as its subtitle.

I don't like that when I think of Final Fantasy, I now think: a functional but uninteresting real-time combat system that is pretty to look at but not fun to play, surrounded by massive amounts of money injected into all parts of the game that I don't care about.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

credburn posted:

I know much of this is arbitrary, but man, when a numbered series suddenly throws a subtitle in, it's almost always bad, right?
Considering that X, XII, and XIII all got sequels and XV had a bunch of DLC stories, it'd make sense to give the original main game its own subtitle so they can refer to it more specifically and still be able to group later stuff under the Final Fantasy XVI banner.

1st Stage Midboss fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 17, 2020

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sakurazuka posted:

Cheers though that makes things worse since the Berserker skill tree looks way better lol

I mean even after you fix them they're still sorta dicks but every faction is dicks. Pick based on gameplay rather than narrative for these kinds of games, imho.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Considering that X, XII, and XIII all got sequels and XV had a bunch of DLC stories, it'd make sense to give the original main game its own subtitle so they can refer to it more specifically and still be able to group later stuff under the Final Fantasy XVI banner.

Man that ain't how we do things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXVI looks, uh, bland somehow? I dunno why that is, I need to ruminate

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

Obviously it's hard to tell anything certain from a trailer, but I'm pretty sure during the dragoon fight I saw the MC dash back with a phoenix wing out to dodge an attack with i frames. Very Dark Souls-like.

Switching between summons to augment yourself is probably going to be a core part of the combat system. We saw at least Titan and Phoenix in battle, and the story snippets suggested one of the early bosses would be somebody else augmenting themselves with Shiva

Augmenting your skillset through summons is something I've always wanted to see, so this makes me happy.

All they need to do now is make armors based around the summons and turn it into a Sentai/Power Rangers type thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

FFXVI looks, uh, bland somehow? I dunno why that is, I need to ruminate

it's the particle color choices. back in the Bad Old Days we used lots of saturated colors of varying brightness and hues. it gave us purple Ultima, and neon orange limit break flashes, and it also gave us 0/0/255-blue Ice3. but these colors also look very turn-of-the-century. these days it's pretty much just Hellfire Magma and Dia Bright and that's it. it's the video game version of cyan and orange

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 17, 2020

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Every Final Fantasy game secretly wants to be an action game so if they're going all the way it's about time. I like the more medieval setting, I like the big magic stuff, the political stuff is rad especially cause it's got Heavensward staff on it. The tagline being "The legacy of the crystals has shaped our history for long enough." is extremely funny in a meta sense. Very hype.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I hope showing the main character at two different ages means you'll be playing significant portions of the game at at least those two stages of his life, because I've liked timeskip stuff like that ever since I played BoF3.

The popoff at the end of XV was cool, but there needed to be more of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

credburn posted:

It really feels that way. I know much of this is arbitrary, but man, when a numbered series suddenly throws a subtitle in, it's almost always bad, right? Also: Awakening? I mean, accurate I guess, but there are probably a hundred different things with "Awakening" as its subtitle.

I don't like that when I think of Final Fantasy, I now think: a functional but uninteresting real-time combat system that is pretty to look at but not fun to play, surrounded by massive amounts of money injected into all parts of the game that I don't care about.

a functional but uninteresting combat system describes half of final fantasy as a series, it's not like the turn-based games always did a good job making their mechanics interesting to engage with either. ff9 has cool writing but 90% of that game's combat if you're playing casually is staring at really long animations and if you're trying to get extra stuff you're spending half of some fights hoping the rng on steal actually lets you get the thing you're trying to steal

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 17, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reminds me of Type-0

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If they're going to make an action-heavy FF game then going more towards DD/MH or Souls style combat is fine.

I'm glad it's back in more medieval times. Didn't care much for the setting of 15 and 13's setting was bad (not helped by 13 being trash as well).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

a functional but uninteresting combat system describes half of final fantasy as a series, it's not like the turn-based games always did a good job making their mechanics interesting to engage with either. ff9 has cool writing but 90% of that game's combat if you're playing casually is staring at really long animations and if you're trying to get extra stuff you're spending half of some fights hoping the rng on steal actually lets you get the thing you're trying to steal

I honestly can't think of any Final Fantasy combat system I would describe really positively.

Like the closest, for me personally, would be I, III and X but they're fairly bog standard turn based fare. II is bad proto-SAGA, IX is fine but so goddamn slow and RNG heavy for steal, The ATB gauge has always been a blight on the games afflicted with it, XII and XIII are experimental but ultimately failed experiments, XV is just kind of a mess held together with duct tape and chicken wire and the MMOs are just lovely MMO combat.

I don't particularly like Action RPGs and the last few mainline entries have been really unfinished and blatantly spliced together as they hit a deadline so I'm not super enthused with the preview for XVI especially if they do focus on controlling a single character instead of a party. That was something I really liked in the previous games and one of the reasons I don't really like VII Remake's combat.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

XIII has the best combat of any Final Fantasy game no matter how people feel about the other parts of the game.