Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Geisladisk posted:

As far as I understand they are externally identical, except that the recon ones use the cabin for more ammo and communication equipment instead of guys.

The M3 also doesn't have the navy portholes on it for the men to fire out of at the enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

Is it time for wehrmacht-jacket-rainbow.jpg? I Think it's time for wehrmacht-jacket-rainbow.jpg.

This picture beautifully illustrates what happens to standardized equipment when it is manufactured at different factories with different methods, sometimes with resource shortages that require improvisation, and then used in the field, subject to different amounts of wear and tear, sun fading, dirt, etc.

Don't fret getting the Correct Green For German Tanks In Spring 1942 (or Correct Green for US Tanks in Europe in 1985) because although such a thing might exist on paper, that is the only place it exists.

Speaking of, I didn't get much painting done this weekend but I did get a test model done for my Operation Barbarossa German Heer.

Really happy with how it turned out - the colors are different enough that it doesn't just all blend together but muted enough that they don't look like my 40k models. I have the Heer decals coming from Warlord so I think once I put them on it'll tie them all together.

The only thing I might do at this point is go back and highlight the gun a little more. Also, now that i'm looking at a blown up image I need to add the silver on the collar as well.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Is it time for wehrmacht-jacket-rainbow.jpg? I Think it's time for wehrmacht-jacket-rainbow.jpg.

I've always heard this called 50 Shades of Fieldgrey

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Class Warcraft posted:

I've always heard this called 50 Shades of Fieldgrey

Lmao thread title please

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Don't fret getting the Correct Green For German Tanks In Spring 1942 (or Correct Green for US Tanks in Europe in 1985) because although such a thing might exist on paper, that is the only place it exists.

I'll also point out the fact that change doesn't happen instantly.

For example, when I was in they switched from MERDEC camouflage (the four color paint-by-numbers system like in the pic I posted) to NATO 3-color. The AAVs also switched turrets from a .50 cal only EDWS to the 40mm/.50 cal UGWS. All of the new UGWS turrets were painted solid green. The vehicles went from plain to up-armored with screen applique armor to up-armored with the current zig-zag applique armor. Also, when they went on deployment they got painted desert sand color.

The upshot of this is that that the vehicles were NEVER entirely uniform. If you took a snapshot of a platoon you might find three different colors of camouflage (MERDEC, plain sand, NATO 3-color), different armor (plain, applique), you name it.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Cessna posted:

I'll also point out the fact that change doesn't happen instantly.

For example, when I was in they switched from MERDEC camouflage (the four color paint-by-numbers system like in the pic I posted) to NATO 3-color. The AAVs also switched turrets from a .50 cal only EDWS to the 40mm/.50 cal UGWS. All of the new UGWS turrets were painted solid green. The vehicles went from plain to up-armored with screen applique armor to up-armored with the current zig-zag applique armor. Also, when they went on deployment they got painted desert sand color.

The upshot of this is that that the vehicles were NEVER entirely uniform. If you took a snapshot of a platoon you might find three different colors of camouflage (MERDEC, plain sand, NATO 3-color), different armor (plain, applique), you name it.

This kind of thing can be cool to incorporate into models, and is extremely popular in Gundam modeling, of all places. Paint one panel or gun in a different color than the rest, or weather it more heavily than the rest of the model, suggesting that the different parts were replaced at different times. Really nice trick to age the vehicle.

I took some inspiration for these Space Marines from a picture I once saw of a Abrams in Iraq (I assume) with a bunch of aftermarket upgrades where the tank itself was dark green, but the various upgrade greeblies were a desert tan. Nobody had bothered repainting the tank itself after arriving in the desert, where it had receive correctly-colored upgrade bits. I can't find that picture again, though.

The guy on the right is the color most of the rest of my team is, a desert tan to match their base. The other two got their power fist and missile launcher/backpack issued after arriving in-theater, but didn't have the time or inclination to repaint their armor.

I still need to finish both of them, though. I find it super easy to get halfway through painting Space Marines and then never pick them up again.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

That's not the correct green for Gulf of Damocles M.41

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For my Marcher Worlds, I wanted something to reflect the harsh environment they'd be living in. I ended up looking at a lot of more modern desert camo (the last 40 years), and there are plenty of pictures of soldiers just wearing woodland camo in the middle of a desert.

I ended up settling on tan armor, with khaki cloaks, and OD Green clothes.

I had initially thought about Bedouins, but google images informed me that they like to wear a ton of colors.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone talk about the insane modeling book AK Interactive put out earlier this month called Condemnation that comes with models and guides for painting up various genocides and other atrocities?

I just found out about it and hoo boy, poo poo is wild.

A grotesque advertising campaign, painting up a gas chamber, mass grave diorama, and the inevitable apology.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
gently caress me, that's disgusting. To then also try to cloak yourself in the "we're just trying to rekindle attention to these vast human tragedies" while hawking paints is a masterclass in cowardice.

I'm sure in a hobby that already has a problem with fetishizing Nazis this won't be an issue.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Springfield Fatts posted:

gently caress me, that's disgusting. To then also try to cloak yourself in the "we're just trying to rekindle attention to these vast human tragedies" while hawking paints is a masterclass in cowardice.

I'm sure in a hobby that already has a problem with fetishizing Nazis this won't be an issue.

Some posters in DIY pointed out that one of their books has a picture of one of them hanging out with a modeling club that includes a guy with an SS shirt, so I don't think they get any benefit of the doubt on this one either.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think in this guys case he's just a fan of Sugary Snacks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Fucks sake, even the apology is just "we're sorry you got mad" worded a different way.

I'm a Vallejo man, but if I ever had plans to buy AK products, I'm out now.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm a huge fan of AK products and I swore by them, but yeah, no thanks now.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You can't ever claim that your book is a thoughtful conversation piece when your marketing includes the line

THE FIRST MODELING BOOK RATED +18 FOR ITS TOUGHNESS THAT CAN HURT FEELINGS

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

*writes “are you ready for this?” in the monster energy drink font over the photo of a gas chamber*

Don’t get mad, this is educational!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
How much do you want to bet they printed a limited run and are keeping half in reserve to sell on eBay once they become infamous and highly sought-after.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My 5 pounds of free Napoleonics lead came in and holy moly

Mixture of painted/unpainted, it's gonna take a while to piece out what everything is but... Not bad for the price!

Edit-- bag 1: looks like a shitload of horses, hussars, and Infantry... All french?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 15, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Introducing Loot bag: a new service that sends you a bag of random historical models each month!

fake edit: actually I would probably subscribe to that tbh

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If every month looked like that, I would subscribe and then die under a mountain of unpainted lead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I can easily tell the normal French vs British headgear in here, but I'm confused about these chappies:

They're not bearskins, they look like feathers on top of a shako? There's a bunch in the same bag as the British infantries, so I'm not sure.

edit-- Highland infantry maybe?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 16, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I can easily tell the normal French vs British headgear in here, but I'm confused about these chappies:

They're not bearskins, they look like feathers on top of a shako? There's a bunch in the same bag as the British infantries, so I'm not sure.

Hard to see, but can it be a tarleton helmet? Those are helmets with a hairy mane along the top, like a mohawk hairstyle. It looks like an officer carrying a rifle. They were used by both British and some French at the start of the Revolutionary War. The Brits kept them a bit longer, the only ones on foot wearing them that I can think of are British Horse artillery:

EDIT: thinking of it, as you mention, it might just be a highlander officer in trousers, which makes sense if the rest of the minis are Waterloo period Brits. Then the rifle/short musket makes more sense:

Looking more carefully I think this is more likely, but it's hard without looking at the headwear from different angles.

As for the French batch, I'm not 100% sure but the based cavalry looks like they have square helmets, which would be chapkas. If so, they are polish lancers, either guard lancers or line lancers. Look at the shabraques, if they are flat and pointy at the back they are guard lancers, if they are round and puffy (sheepskin) they are line lancers.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Sep 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Class Warcraft posted:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

Introducing Loot bag: a new service that sends you a bag of random historical models each month!

With how many manufacturers, periods and scales there are, I'd buy a few just to have a glimpse at the huge variety of stuff available without the hassle of ordering from weird dudes who still use fax.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pierzak posted:

With how many manufacturers, periods and scales there are, I'd buy a few just to have a glimpse at the huge variety of stuff available without the hassle of ordering from weird dudes who still use fax.

:same:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pierzak posted:

An alternative would be a list where each person bundles up a pile of shame project and send it along to the next person, until they reach someone who finds a use for them. :P

*eyes his unpainted 15mm army packs from ten years ago*

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I sorted it out into a huge bag of artillery, a bag full of like 200 horses, a bag full of a couple hundred mounted guys, and a couple hundred infantry...

...next step is to go through and try and figure out nationalities :negative:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lilljonas posted:

What kinda 15mm armies we talkin? I might be interested if you’re looking to sell.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

An alternative would be a list where each person bundles up a pile of shame project and send it along to the next person, until they reach someone who finds a use for them. :P

Anyone want some 15mm AWI Minifigs?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Highland officer in trews, they carry their sash diagonally.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Paint 15mm minis they said... they'll go quicker they said...

Two and a half hours later I have one cavalry commander on a base. Two more figures to go on this base before I can add grass. 15mm is pretty rewarding though, considering how tiny everything is and how much you have to concentrate. (I know, the 6mm folks are laughing at me)

Edit-- command base done

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 17, 2020

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pierzak posted:

You sound like someone who's never had an opponent lose their minis because they blended with the terrain.

I remember losing a flames of war game because one of my old school soviet infantry blobs had broken on the objective, then in packing up noticing 2-3 stands were still in the woods where I'd just missed them, which'd have meant I probably wouldn't have had to morale test until next turn...

Least the camo worked :D

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Paint 15mm minis they said... they'll go quicker they said...

Two and a half hours later I have one cavalry commander on a base. Two more figures to go on this base before I can add grass. 15mm is pretty rewarding though, considering how tiny everything is and how much you have to concentrate. (I know, the 6mm folks are laughing at me)

Edit-- command base done

Looking good! If you want to focus later on to get minis painted faster, the best way IMHO is to paint several miniatures at once. So, to begin with, maybe 6-8 minis, and then increase the number. Then you take say, your skin colour, and paint it on all of them. By the time you've done all of them the paint will be dry on the first one, and you can move on to the next paint. This way you will paint several minis in less time than it takes to paint one at a time. But at first it's not a bad idea to paint a few test minis to get comfortable with which paints you want to use and how to paint them.

MeinPanzer posted:

What kinda 15mm armies we talkin? I might be interested if you’re looking to sell.

The one that's definitely furthest from the paint table is a small Timurid/Mughal army that I think is from Old Glory. I got it back when I painted a Mongol DBA army, and was planning to make a fusion army for FoG that could represent various Mongol or Mongol successor armies. I took it out today and there are some highlights in it, especially the elephants, but it's been packed away for ten years and I don't think there's any chance that medieval 15mm will crop up as a hot contender around here any time soon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lilljonas posted:

and I don't think there's any chance that medieval 15mm will crop up as a hot contender around here any time soon.

That's a damned shame, 100yw in DBA is one of the most wonderfully violent miniatures games I've ever played; the French go for shock with all their knights, the English apply firepower and foot, and you get a decision in 45 minutes. Plus, 15mm knights armies look impressive and are fun to paint.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

mllaneza posted:

That's a damned shame, 100yw in DBA is one of the most wonderfully violent miniatures games I've ever played; the French go for shock with all their knights, the English apply firepower and foot, and you get a decision in 45 minutes. Plus, 15mm knights armies look impressive and are fun to paint.

Hell yes my later crusaders agree:

I'm not getting rid of my painted stuff, but I don't see myself painting up so much more 15mm right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

lilljonas posted:

This is all well and good until someone opens my package and is faced with a shitload of tiny BSG and Star Wars starfighters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

mllaneza posted:

This is all well and good until someone opens my package and is faced with a shitload of tiny BSG and Star Wars starfighters.

how tiny?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone know where I can get some cheap 28mm saddled horses with no riders? I need a couple for the wild west town I'm making.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Anyone know where I can get some cheap 28mm saddled horses with no riders? I need a couple for the wild west town I'm making.

There are some links you might want to check out here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=352524

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've discovered my least favorite thing: trying to attach spears to 15mm lead models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cessna posted:

Anyone want some 15mm AWI Minifigs?

UHHH YES do tell