Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

Love to ardently refuse to put movies on my premium subscription service so I can watch my quarterly profits tank

given how long it’ll be before theaters can return to semi-normal operations, I wonder if they might even consider releasing movies to the standard Disney+ service and forgoing the Premier Access fee. it’d be an extreme loss-leader, I imagine, but these are extreme times and maybe it’d be worth it in the long run to keep people subscribing while preventing further knock-on delays? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Barry Convex posted:

given how long it’ll be before theaters can return to semi-normal operations, I wonder if they might even consider releasing movies to the standard Disney+ service and forgoing the Premier Access fee. it’d be an extreme loss-leader, I imagine, but these are extreme times and maybe it’d be worth it in the long run to keep people subscribing while preventing further knock-on delays? idk

If they go "we're going to put Black Widow and Eternals on regular Disney+," I bet a significant number of people wouldn't bother canceling in between. The problem is that from what I hear Disney+ actually has pretty decent retention numbers already, so they may have already made most of the money they would have there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean at this point I'd be surprised if Disney+ wasn't hemorrhaging subs because they haven't put any new content on it since mando last year. I dunno what their reluctance is

E: ^^^ if true I wonder what it is thats keeping people paying for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They were definitely supposed to have Falcon and Winter Soldier by now, but they absolutely launched too early.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

If they go "we're going to put Black Widow and Eternals on regular Disney+," I bet a significant number of people wouldn't bother canceling in between. The problem is that from what I hear Disney+ actually has pretty decent retention numbers already, so they may have already made most of the money they would have there.

yeah, you may be right. their original content has been pretty underwhelming this year and has suffered badly from the delays of the Marvel Studios series, IMO, but then, I'm not a parent

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

site posted:

I mean at this point I'd be surprised if Disney+ wasn't hemorrhaging subs because they haven't put any new content on it since mando last year. I dunno what their reluctance is

I'm assuming a lot of it's "they have the entire back Disney catalog so my young children love keeping it on all the time" subs.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wouldn't even mind the premier access route if they weren't charging thirty five loving dollars. $15 seems fair, $20 is pushing it but I'd probably do it for an mcu movie at least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arist posted:

I'm assuming a lot of it's "they have the entire back Disney catalog so my young children love keeping it on all the time" subs.

Lol yeah that's probably it huh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd probably pay the $30 for an MCU movie because that's about what a whole-rear end trip to the movies usually costs for me.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Arist posted:

They were definitely supposed to have Falcon and Winter Soldier by now, but they absolutely launched too early.

their plan seemed to be to coast on the back catalog for the first seven months of 2020, then have FatWS, Mando S2, and WandaVision pick things up for the last five months of the year, before kicking their originals pipeline into full gear for 2021 and beyond. Weird but not necessarily terrible given the strength of their back catalog, but obviously COVID threw a wrench in things

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Lol yeah that's probably it huh

Yeah, every parent of young kids I know gets a lot of mileage out of it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

I've seen people grumbling about how it would suck if Black Widow, of all possible characters, isn't able to get a theater release for her movie, but at the same time, I'm not sure what Disney would be expected to do. They have to release the movie eventually.

Also, even if Premier Access didn't work out for Mulan, surely an MCU movie has a different draw though, right?

No. I'm not spending 30 bucks to rent a movie. I dropped that on Bill&Ted because now it's in my amazon library and I can watch it whenever and however many times I want. If it's like fifteen bucks, I'll probably rent it. But otherwise I'm gonna act like it's 2005 again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Disney + premier pass stuff you can watch for as long as you have the service right? So it's more like buying than renting.

site posted:

Hamilton might not exactly be new, but it was a big buzzy release for them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have D+ free with Verizon for a little while longer, though once that's done, I'm definitely dropping it except like once a year if Mandalorian continues.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

The fact it’s also 7 dollars a month helps too. Like, I don’t use it all that often but 7 bucks a month is worth paying so I can toss on a marvel movie or some old Simpsons when I feel like it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

They rushed Hamilton onto their system for July. And they removed the free Week of Disney + stuff, so confident were they that people would want Hamilton that they'd get a free week, watch Hamilton and then quit.

Which in fairness isn't a bad strategy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Having friends who are parents who hear 'Let It Go' in their sleep now, this is absolutely it.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

It’s also the only way to stream the first 9 Seasons of the simpsons over and over unless you can still watch them on fx’s website or whatever.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 16, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm wondering if there will still be theater chains around by the time the next Marvel movie comes out

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm wondering if there will still be theater chains around by the time the next Marvel movie comes out

good question, depends how long they can afford to stay closed or if they do another reopening like they did with Tenet - for, say, No Time to Die or WW84 - that fails. more expensive to keep a theater open when business is bad than it is to keep it closed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There were some updates on the MCU TV stuff today. Here's a picture of the new Falcon costume

https://twitter.com/77MCU/status/1305552966783504387

also Disney confirmed that WandaVision is releasing by the end of the year on Disney+

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1306301595034902528?s=20

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The wheels look to be spinning on She-Hulk as well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Please hurry up and cast She-Hulk already so I can be disappointed as soon as possible

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arist posted:

Please hurry up and cast She-Hulk already so I can be disappointed as soon as possible

I’m trying to think of the last time I was dissapointed by Marvel casting and coming up short. Maybe Benedict Cumberbatch? That was less because he was a bad choice and more that it was a bit on the nose.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m trying to think of the last time I was dissapointed by Marvel casting and coming up short. Maybe Benedict Cumberbatch? That was less because he was a bad choice and more that it was a bit on the nose.

It's not that Marvel has necessarily let me down, it's that I can't imagine who could possibly live up to the character.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Give it to, gently caress, I don't know, Rosario Dawson, she'll probably knock it out of the park.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They should just focus on casting someone who would be good at Jen Walters, since I imagine She-Hulk will have to be CGI. So hopefully someone with some good comedy chops.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

Give it to, gently caress, I don't know, Rosario Dawson, she'll probably knock it out of the park.

I wonder what they’re going to do with casting for characters that were in the Netflix series if they use those characters again, speaking of Rosario Dawson. Some of the casting there was great but I’m guessing they don’t want people associating stuff with the Netflix series too closely.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Rosario Dawson might be an abusive transphobe.

Although they cast her on Mandalorian anyway.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
From the rumor mill I think their instructions to the casting director was for "an Alison Brie-type" for the She-Hulk role.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Rosario Dawson might be an abusive transphobe.

Although they cast her on Mandalorian anyway.

I did not know that, that cast has some big issues, huh. At least Pedro seems like a sweetheart.

mikeraskol posted:

From the rumor mill I think their instructions to the casting director was for "an Alison Brie-type" for the She-Hulk role.

Alison Brie really wants the role, and I think would be great in it personally, but that sounds like what they really want is Alison Brie, but younger, because Hollywood is horrible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wonder what they’re going to do with casting for characters that were in the Netflix series if they use those characters again, speaking of Rosario Dawson. Some of the casting there was great but I’m guessing they don’t want people associating stuff with the Netflix series too closely.

Rumors have been around for Charlie Cox reprising Daredevil and Bernthal being their Punisher. I'm pretty confident that those two will come back in those roles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the middle of Gina Carano's idiocy she said Pascal spoke to her and educated her, but she took the wrong lesson from it anyway because she's a moron.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CTE's a dangerous thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Didn't know transphobia was a physical response to brain damage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

In the middle of Gina Carano's idiocy she said Pascal spoke to her and educated her, but she took the wrong lesson from it anyway because she's a moron.

Carano has at last look put her pronouns on Twitter as robot noises which is like a step away from identifying as an attack helicopter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

site posted:

There's actually an unusual correlation between brain damage and being a chud

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

Rumors have been around for Charlie Cox reprising Daredevil and Bernthal being their Punisher. I'm pretty confident that those two will come back in those roles.

What a loving waste otherwise, especially Charlie Cox, he was perfect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Carano has at last look put her pronouns on Twitter as robot noises which is like a step away from identifying as an attack helicopter.

Yeah she started with a "I'm not putting my pronouns in" rant, then said Pascal talked to her and she learned some things.

Then came back later with the boop beep thing. She says it's because she was being bullied for not showing support by not having any pronouns listed.

Any community that gets big enough online will have people that do that. But it's not representative and that's a very dumb response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

site posted:

Aggression and lack of empathy are.