Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cold Fear was cool, I beat that game a few times.

Dead Space ripped off the plot and control scheme pretty heavily though.

That said, both Dead Space and Cold Fear rip off the story structure of Deep Rising, Ghost Ship, Virus, and Event Horizon. Seriously, aside from the monster changing they’re all the same story with the same characters and story beats.

Salvage crew finds derelict vessel, go onboard and find it abandoned, spooky threat starts picking them off, their smaller ship gets destroyed and strands them on the bigger ship, one of the characters betrays the rest, protagonist faces off against a big bad boss monster, big ship gets destroyed, movie ends with some kind of stinger/jump scare.
I just summarized 4 movies at once.

I’m not saying those movies are *bad*, I like each of them for different reasons. Virus’s puppet/animatronic effects are incredible and the CGI is really good for the time, Deep Rising has the most fun characters, Event Horizon is the scariest and has Sam Neill, and Ghost Ship has the totally awesome flashback sequence set to music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Virus featured the Strogg from Quake 2. Event Horizon meanwhile is a Warhammer 40k prequel.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Windows Movie House just showed Event Horizon. Amazing but unsurprising that it was made by the same guy that gave us the Underworld and the Resident Evil movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

Windows Movie House just showed Event Horizon. Amazing but unsurprising that it was made by the same guy that gave us the Underworld and the Resident Evil movies.

Resident Evil, yes, but not Underworld.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ah you're right. Crazy I'd mix up Len Wiseman with Paul W.S. Anderson. Wiseman was married to Kate Backingsdale & Anderson is married to Mila Jovovich.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Think about Predator. Did not expect the 2010 film to be alright but was proven wrong.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

agrielaios posted:

Think about Predator. Did not expect the 2010 film to be alright but was proven wrong.

"The Predator" is to "Predator" as "Alien versus Predator" is to "Allen"

"Predators" is alright though, you're not wrong

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Predators was great.

Fight me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Predators was great.

Fight me.

Hell yeah, ‘Predators’ ruled.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Amphigory posted:

"The Predator" is to "Predator" as "Alien versus Predator" is to "Allen"

"Predators" is alright though, you're not wrong

Hmm, "Alien versus Predator" is hazy memories, to the re-watching I go.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Predators was great.

Fight me.

You're not wrong. Meanwhile, The Predator (2018) was not very good.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Thinking about Predators (the movie)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm a big fan of Allen.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm a big fan of Allen.

I prefer the sequel, Allens.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I prefer the sequel, Allens.

What about "The Allen, Quarantine"?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Warbadger posted:

Virus featured the Strogg from Quake 2. Event Horizon meanwhile is a Warhammer 40k prequel.

Ghosts of Mars is the real Doom movie

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Predators was great.

Fight me.

It's definitely one of the better Predator sequels. I quite like the first half and even a lot of the second half but it feels like the film runs into a wall when Lawrence Fishbournes character shows up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

agrielaios posted:

What about "The Allen, Quarantine"?

I prefer "Allan: Quatermain"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Alien

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Alien: Isolation is as good as I remember and just looks and sounds loving amazing but, man, I forgot how long it takes until you actually first see the Xeno.

Your first time playing it, you don't know that though. I remember feeling a lot of tension and hearing weird noises on my initial run but now, knowing where the alien is scripted to appear, it was kind of a slog. Also, gently caress that bug in the intro that doesn't let you take off. Apparently, I forgot to take a loving shower but the game wasn't telling me that and and I wound up on the bridge with a bunch of crew just standing there and wondering what I did wrong so I reset.

Apparently I smelled too bad but people were too embarrassed to tell me.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

BiggerBoat posted:

Alien: Isolation is as good as I remember and just looks and sounds loving amazing but, man, I forgot how long it takes until you actually first see the Xeno.

Your first time playing it, you don't know that though. I remember feeling a lot of tension and hearing weird noises on my initial run but now, knowing where the alien is scripted to appear, it was kind of a slog. Also, gently caress that bug in the intro that doesn't let you take off. Apparently, I forgot to take a loving shower but the game wasn't telling me that and and I wound up on the bridge with a bunch of crew just standing there and wondering what I did wrong so I reset.

Apparently I smelled too bad but people were too embarrassed to tell me.

How do you mean? The only requirements are to sign in, get dressed, talk to Samuels, talk to Taylor then pick up the briefing notes. The shower is usable but you're never *required* to use it.

You could write an essay about the way A:I is both absolute genius and brutally out of step with modern audiences and game design, especially regarding how subtle it is regarding objects and objectives (god help anyone who has ADHD, and your average 360 twirling no scoper is pretty much a no hoper as they're going to miss every item and cue). It makes for a fascinating title to see folks LP for the first time because it commits so many 'sins' by modern standards and that, combined with the anxiety it can cause, gets players in a hell of a state wandering about like lambs to the slaughter. It's also hilarious that given red barrels have been a staple of games for decades, almost no one ever picks up on the fact you can get the Alien to sod off for a bit by shooting a gas cannister near it for a pipe bomb effect.

There's a Swiss guy who speedruns it on Nightmare constantly and has been trying it out with a number of horrible mods - 2 Aliens, 4 Aliens, 5 Aliens, a super aggressive Alien that becomes active everywhere immediately after Axel's death (yup, you have to find somewhere to hide while waiting for the transit). Even cut scenes aren't safe so the smoke bombs have a use at last.

The amazing thing to me was finding out the dreaded Medical section can be done in about 30 seconds flat, or that you can (on Med/Hard anyway) drive it away with the shotgun.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Link the swiss alien speedrunner please that sounds amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Predators was great.

Fight me.

That movie’s a lot of fun. Like, the soundtrack to that movie should just be Long Tall Sally on repeat for the entire duration.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sentinel Red posted:

How do you mean? The only requirements are to sign in, get dressed, talk to Samuels, talk to Taylor then pick up the briefing notes. The shower is usable but you're never *required* to use it.

I did all that but everyone just stood there. I looked it up and it's apparently a known bug. At least for some people.

Getting into my first working Joe area and, dumb question, but are all those drinking birds collectibles I should be doing something with? Can't shoot them or whack them with a hammer but they read as collectibles. Also, I forget, is there any reason I should start killing the Joe's before they turn hostile? If memory serves, the answer is no.

Game loving owns hard. Playing it with my kid and he liked to poo poo when the Xeno showed up. He didn't even get bored during the lead up. Very fun rainy day game/activity here in FL.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

That movie’s a lot of fun. Like, the soundtrack to that movie should just be Long Tall Sally on repeat for the entire duration.

‘Predators’s biggest mis-step is that it didn’t end with a montage of the characters the way the first film did.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Keltar posted:

It's definitely one of the better Predator sequels. I quite like the first half and even a lot of the second half but it feels like the film runs into a wall when Lawrence Fishbournes character shows up.

I agree. It gets a little weird when Larry enters the scene.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Keltar posted:

It's a good idea though, a survivor AGAINST loving PREDATORS, but they just waste him in mere minutes.
Instead of being a ghost like ultimate survivalist, with booby traps, hidey holes, hidden caches everywhere, he's just a one trick who shits his pants instantly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Also Predators implies that it watches all of humanity for longish periods of time.
And who they select isn't on body count, after all how many could a yakuza hitman or doctor kill compared to a warlord or warzone combatants.

Would be funny to see Dr Harold Shipman parachuted in though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Predators was super cool and fun, which makes it a good movie

The comic they released for some reason afterwards was bad and completely unnecessary

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Is it ok to still be thinking about Aliens? :ohdear:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

Is it ok to still be thinking about Aliens? :ohdear:

Always be thinking about Aliens.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you think aliens think about me?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Professor Shark posted:

Almost certainly, at least in the abstract.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Well, do androids dream of electric sheep?

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

It's a good idea though, a survivor AGAINST loving PREDATORS, but they just waste him in mere minutes.
Instead of being a ghost like ultimate survivalist, with booby traps, hidey holes, hidden caches everywhere, he's just a one trick who shits his pants instantly.

The escape parts of the movie were a bit lame, imo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Professor Shark posted:

Mostly at night.

Mostly.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

happyhippy posted:

Would be funny to see Dr Harold Shipman parachuted in though.

WIth Peter Sutcliffe and his hammer.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

loving hell, I am lol'ing at the UK serial killer suggestions

Just found Alien - Director's cut is available on Sky - got it downloading now. To my shame I've seen Aliens and Alien 3 directors cuts, but never the original...

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Back at the end of '86 Electric dreams released an Aliens game for the Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum.

It was a shooter where you had to fight your way Hadley's Hope and the atmosphere processor, get to queen, kill it and all the eggs and then get back to the entrance. There were 6 characters from the film, limited ammo, their stamina decreased after every move and their pulse went up whenever the motion trackers detected anything making your shots less accurate.

I played the poo poo out of it, but never finished 'cause my guys all got killed when they ran out of ammunition :v:

I have fond memories of it spooking in the piss out of me though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efolLO2zcpc

drat I loved that game :allears:

If you want to try it yourself there's a remake from a few years back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQat4obE2T8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Predators was great.

Fight me.

Predators was like an awesome RPG session.

The Predator was a steaming incoherent pile of garbage.