Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i at least remember stuff about the first nsmb

nsmb2 i know i played and beat, but remember nothing about it other "hey get a lotta coins this time"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The level design is more inspired there but that’s not saying much. The only New game that goes beyond mediocre is NSMBU imo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SM3D World is better than all them. The NSMB games are sooo boring

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
imo the only thing NSMB had going for it is it apparently lent itself to romhacks, I vaguely recall getting one that was themed off of SMB3 thinking it was the actual game and being very confused

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

SM3D World is better than all them. The NSMB games are sooo boring

Of course. That game is a treasure and needs to be on Switch ASAP.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

imo the only thing NSMB had going for it is it apparently lent itself to romhacks, I vaguely recall getting one that was themed off of SMB3 thinking it was the actual game and being very confused

Mario World has a much better and more interesting hack scene. It’s almost at Doom levels with the amount of good custom hacks over the past 20 years.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

my interest in 2 is greatly influenced by a review of the series i saw a while ago that voiced a criticism i greatly resonated with: the two console games have their level design massively hampered by having to accommodate for multiplayer. all of the levels are really wide open and tend to have vast reaches of just empty nothing. great if you are playing multiplayer not so when you aren't. 1 and 2 obviously don't have this problem so they're allowed to have actual single player level design.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I thought NSMB2 had multiplayer over Wi-Fi? I definitely remember the advertising having a competitive bent to it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
NSMB2 had online leaderboards iirc. You could compare your score attack poo poo with people but not actually race or play together

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I found NSMBU very fun and charming. The rest of them bored me but NSMBU was fun. Obviously none of them hold even nearly half a candle to 3D World.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
NSMB2 has 2-player co-op over local wireless.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Pah, physical
If you have a hacked 3DS you can dump carts and install them on your SD card. If you really don't like cartridges, that is.

Amppelix posted:

Also it'll probably have some very nice delivery fees when shipping to finland
I can't help you there though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you have a hacked 3DS you can dump carts and install them on your SD card. If you really don't like cartridges, that is.

Plus you can move saves from carts to your digital copies.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So I decided to give the English translation of dragon quest monsters joker 3 a shot. Gameplay seems pretty standard so far but holy crap you guys

you can ride your monsters and they added platforming to the overworld!! I know DQXI went this route as well but it is cool seeing it on a 3DS monsters game! It's such a natural progression of dragon quest that does not in any way clash or interfere with the traditional roots of the game. I'm surprised it took this long for them to add platforming to overworld exploration because it's fun as heck

In another week or two I'll let you know if the game is actually good. It's kind of weird how sci fi the visuals are but I'm good with it. I'm barely on the second town and haven't unlocked synthesizing or whatever yet but gameplay seems pretty standard, not especially exciting but they do have a 2 x button for battle

Also I can't recognize a lot of the monsters, I think they are from the MMO. That's cool, it's nice seeing actual unfamiliar new monsters among the usual faces

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 1, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Might be hard to go to the Terry's wonderland
remake after this but eh I'll still check it out.

I also got art academy and Pokemon art academy. I have been toying with the idea of buying a very expensive iPad pro just to have fun drawing digital art, it sounds like a joy. But I'm not a professional artist just someone who likes to draw dumb stuff for fun

I figure I can justify the expense if I get through both of these games! I'm afraid of spending a lot of money on a hobby that I'll instantly neglect just like I do with reading, cooking, composing music, writing, etc etc

I've been hearing a lot about how the new iPad pros are extremely good and fun for drawing though

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

KingSlime posted:

Might be hard to go to the Terry's wonderland
remake after this but eh I'll still check it out.

I also got art academy and Pokemon art academy. I have been toying with the idea of buying a very expensive iPad pro just to have fun drawing digital art, it sounds like a joy. But I'm not a professional artist just someone who likes to draw dumb stuff for fun

I figure I can justify the expense if I get through both of these games! I'm afraid of spending a lot of money on a hobby that I'll instantly neglect just like I do with reading, cooking, composing music, writing, etc etc

I've been hearing a lot about how the new iPad pros are extremely good and fun for drawing though

Art academy is really cool and I need to go back and do the lessons I never got to, or just replay the whole thing. I had an orig 3ds and it was too cramped but I have a xl now so it should be much more comfortable. I used to have a link to some japanese website where people uploaded their pictures and beyond the lesson pictures people are super creative and impressive with what art academy can do. I’ve had the same thoughts of stepping beyond it and have messed around with water coloring, which wasn’t expensive.

Did anyone here try out the dlc lessons?

Triple digit heat today and I don’t like using my pc or ps4 for games when it’s so hot, so pulling out the 3ds, haven’t used it for any chunk of time for months since I burned out on story of seasons trio of towns (good game). My backlog is small and I think I’m going to start bowsers inside story, something lighthearted sounds good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is the DLC in Theatrhythm worth it? Thinking of getting Chrono Trigger naturally.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is the DLC in Theatrhythm worth it? Thinking of getting Chrono Trigger naturally.

I don't have that game but Chrono Trigger is a rhythm game you already enjoy sounds like a no brainer to me.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah there's no way they would botch it right? Just apply the already good gameplay to a new track.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I downloaded every Chrono Trigger track in Theatrhythm, can recommend

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, it's hard to go wrong if you know you like the tune. Most of the saga themes are also great and sacrifice part 3 is absolutely amazing but also an endurance test.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sudden Javelin posted:

I downloaded every Chrono Trigger track in Theatrhythm, can recommend

Cool! It's quaint that I have to add money via my Switch to then download on my 3DS. It also gives me an excuse to say "Oh! look like I have a few spare euros here, may as well get Oracle of Ages/Seasons".

So I now will be replaying those two games.

Kyoujin posted:

Yeah, it's hard to go wrong if you know you like the tune. Most of the saga themes are also great and sacrifice part 3 is absolutely amazing but also an endurance test.

Never played SAGA though it seems like something I might enjoy. I should watch a LP.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Only saga I've played was final fantasy legends 3 on Gameboy and it kicked my childhood self in the butt. The soundtracks are baller though and I should give it a shot.

Edit: Sacrifice part 3 is end boss theme of trials of mana. Meridian dance from secret of mana is great too but much shorter.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If you still are holding out or need a replacement system, Nintendo still has refurbs available. They used to be selling the Galaxy *n*3ds XL but I guess that was pre-COVID, and a few other colors for the 2DSXL and 2DS. Now there is one *n*3DS XL, two 2DS XL, and two 2DS variants.

Batteries for the entire 3DS family are also available.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
All this theatrhythm talk had me bust out my 3ds for the first time in a year or two and while away the afternoon to some nostalgic tunes.

Really makes me wish they would make a best of square theatrhythm for switch. Right after Etrian Odyssey 6.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was reading how 3ds capture cards are gone which got me thinking: how do they work in the first place? It seems capturing from a ds/3ds is a bit different due to the 2nd screen. Also, you'd think there would be more people making cards to do it. Or is the hangup the software?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A homebrew 3ds has been able to wirelessly broadcast both screens for probably over five years now at zero cost and minimal, reversible effort. I can't imagine that leaves much demand for bespoke video hardware?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chronojam posted:

A homebrew 3ds has been able to wirelessly broadcast both screens for probably over five years now at zero cost and minimal, reversible effort. I can't imagine that leaves much demand for bespoke video hardware?

Really? I thought it was jitterery and kinda a gimmick. I'll give it a try if it's come that far now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chronojam posted:

From what I've read it is laggy and doesn't transit sound.

But I'm more curious about how this stuff works than workarounds.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I haven't looked in a while but when I used it regularly years back it ran pretty drat well, with the caveat that default settings weren't great.

If I remember right, somebody even had a plan to let you use a pc controller to stream input back to your 3ds; don't know if that materialized.

E: come to think of it, I was using a new-3ds, and always with the extra cpu unlocked, so that would make a big difference

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 12, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I was reading how 3ds capture cards are gone which got me thinking: how do they work in the first place? It seems capturing from a ds/3ds is a bit different due to the 2nd screen. Also, you'd think there would be more people making cards to do it. Or is the hangup the software?
Its a weird parasitic add on board you solder onto the 3ds main board, that intercepts the AV signals and sends them over USB. I think its just a niche enough thing that no one else bothered to make another one

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The Japanese company that made the kit went bankrupt after law went into effect in Japan last year making any console modifications unlawful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh that's not the one I was thinking of, so then there are at least two cards, this guy is still selling one
http://3dscapture.com/order.html. Only original 3DSes though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopefully an easy solution comes around sometime. I really wanted to get a 3DS capture system but those things happened basically as soon as I was able to afford sending my 3DS over to get modded. We're currently in a golden age for retro console modding and aftermarket console solutions. Hopefully some easy and cheap to install capture cards or upscalers or something get developed for 3DS in a decade or so once some patents expire.

homeless snail posted:

Oh that's not the one I was thinking of, so then there are at least two cards, this guy is still selling one
http://3dscapture.com/order.html. Only original 3DSes though

Hm. $170 isn't bad. Shame that he doesn't work on New 3DS.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Japanese company that made the kit went bankrupt after law went into effect in Japan last year making any console modifications unlawful.

Geez and here I thought US copyright law was piss.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Midjack posted:

Geez and here I thought US copyright law was piss.
Nintendo is basically the Disney of Japan, including all the extensive lobbying to pass IP laws to protect their works. Or at least, to enable them to go after anyone doing anything unauthorised whether it's actually infringement or not.

Video games are important to the Japanese economy and a big IP export, much like films and television in the US. If it wasn't for those industries being located where they are, nobody would care and laws would be much more reasonable.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nerdy reminder that it's illegal to rent videogames in Japan because of the above.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I vaguely remember some website that had instructions about leaving your 3DS in a semi-clanedestine shop in Tokyo that you could not make appointments with and you just had to come to see who was available. Nintendo is some serious poo poo in Japan I guess.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's the best way to back up a Wii sd card wirelessly / without walking over all 6ft to my computer?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/gonintendotweet/status/1306473833164136448?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
a majoras mask 3ds flex huh