Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Doctor Zero posted:

wtf are pre-orders selling out already? or is this just like the first wave or something?

I think this is it for pre-orders. Totally unlikely given covid that they'll be able to ramp through my production based on the pre-sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doctor Zero posted:

wtf are pre-orders selling out already? or is this just like the first wave or something?

This is all of them. All the PlayStation 5s are sold out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Doctor Zero posted:

There'll be restocks and stuff, but you might not be guaranteed a release day console.

I think Amazon UK's allotment of PS5's sold out in like eleven minutes or something crazy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Turns out it was called the Playstation 5 because there are only five in existence.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

And I've got four of them.

Apparently EBAY has new rules about the scalping stuff, so a lot of those $4000 consoles are getting taken down.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

stev posted:

How is it still not up on Amazon UK. The peripherals are all there.

Have they said anything about PC compatibility for the DS5? I might just order one of them if I can replace my DS4 with it and get the console itself next year.

You have to search for PS5, playstation 5 won't show you the console.

I was able to pre-order from Amazon UK just after 9AM, but trying to open the page it on the mobile store just took me back to the homepage, and they weren't selling the digital version. Not a problem for me though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can buy cyberpunk ps4 and play it on ps5 though right?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You can buy cyberpunk ps4 and play it on ps5 though right?

Yeah, but the specific patch to make the most out of it is coming later, I believe?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Amazon AU and JB Hifi have suspended orders, EB AU is taking them...for a 2021 shipment.

Eh, well it's day one, there'll be opportunities I bet.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

goddamn it. Figures the day I don't really pay attention to the internet is the day prereleases go on sale; Ah well. I'm sure I'll find one eventually. Would just be nice to secure one early.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As usual I wonder how many were bought by users and how many were bought by scalpers.

Edit: Back when the PS3 came out my coworker said it was a fool to not scalp mine. I just wanted to play it...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

As usual I wonder how many were bought by users and how many were bought by scalpers.

Probably not a huge amount but, certainly a few

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1306395895940947974

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao GAME in the UK have apparently started sending out preorder cancellation emails as they took way more than their allocated stock

Yikes! Glad I got a spare pre-order with them; fingers crossed at least one of them stays alive.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Just secured a pre-order, whew! I got a message that the shop I ended up buying from would open up pre-orders at 1PM. They were all gone by 13:03. Either the desire for a new console is huge or Sony is underdelivering hardware in a big way.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

JordanKai posted:

Either the desire for a new console is huge or Sony is underdelivering hardware in a big way.

Big W, which is somewhat similar to Walmart in Australia, supposedly only got 7,000 units for the whole country. May just be internet bullshit but I can believe it. Same reason why Apple didn't announce the iPhone this week as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I happy for everyone who's managed to grab a preorder. I don't think I've ever been so hyped for a console launch and I'm not even planning on getting one anytime soon. Nearest I'd think I'd be getting one is if mrs corn to be manages to grab one and put it under the Christmas tree this year and that's only if shes feeling generous :D

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Fame Douglas posted:

They're thinking of making more money by selling an enhanced edition a year later. It's called the "GTA V strategy"

They said ages ago that it'd be a free upgrade, in fairness.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Last console I was this excited for was my Dear old Gamecube. I hope you're doing well, in a cupboard across the sea, little GameCube.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Big W, which is somewhat similar to Walmart in Australia, supposedly only got 7,000 units for the whole country. May just be internet bullshit but I can believe it. Same reason why Apple didn't announce the iPhone this week as well.

I would assume Australia was on one of the lower rungs for the allocation list world wide, as we usually are want to do.

I was legit worried about preordering this morning, but luckily the countdown juuuuust finished as I was walking in the door for work so I snagged it via my phone :toot:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Aidan_702 posted:

Last console I was this excited for was my Dear old Gamecube. I hope you're doing well, in a cupboard across the sea, little GameCube.

I miss my Gamecube. Shame it melted my memory card and covered the inside of the slot in molten plastic.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I would assume Australia was on one of the lower rungs for the allocation list world wide, as we usually are want to do.

I was legit worried about preordering this morning, but luckily the countdown juuuuust finished as I was walking in the door for work so I snagged it via my phone :toot:

Where'd you get it from? I was mucking around with EB for a good fifteen or so minutes and came through just fine. Seemed like EB might have got the lion's share.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I must have been half asleep this morning when I started watching the stream.
Just rewatched the FF16 trailer, and it looks dope as poo poo? A single protagonist in a semi-Witcher/Monster Hunter world? I could be down for that for sure.

Bummed we didn't see any Recompile footage today. One of the games I'm most interested in, particularly if the trailer is indicative of what the soundtrack will be like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcTyN6Euvk8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Where'd you get it from? I was mucking around with EB for a good fifteen or so minutes and came through just fine. Seemed like EB might have got the lion's share.

Yeah EBGames.
Grabbed Morales + Charging Dock as well.

Then they put up Morales Special Edition, so now I gotta cancel the regular one :v:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Yeah EBGames.
Grabbed Morales + Charging Dock as well.

Then they put up Morales Special Edition, so now I gotta cancel the regular one :v:

That's crazy, maybe I just got in super early or something, or I'm remembering wrong.

I didn't even bother with anything else, I grabbed a Digital Edition first, thought twice and grabbed a regular, then cancelled the DE. I'm going to grab Morales Ultimate as well, probably, plus Demons' Souls and also, I've got some PS4 exclusives and other big games stashed away I haven't cracked open yet.

I should probably pick up a charging dock and the remote at some point, but I figured I'll be able to sort all that at some other point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just clicked confirm on my Shopto preorder maybe I'll get one maybe I won't:shrug:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Wow, I’ve never heard someone unironically refer to a full price retail game as a service. Isn’t destiny like $60 + $30 for every dlc? Plus $10 a month for ps+ or whatever.
destiny 2 itself is free now. regardless, it's always online - as in needing a constant internet connection. so why would i bother playing a game like that with a disc

and most PC gamers haven't bought games on a disc in years. maybe digital only is still a weird newfangled thing on console-only land but it's the standard over on the PC side

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wow, that's even lower than I expected! Maybe EB Games got the bulk of the PS5s coming to Australia? If not, that's going to make for a real console drought. :ohdear:

I guess COVID-19 really hit Sony's supply chain hard. I wonder what it's like for Microsoft.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Roman posted:

and most PC gamers haven't bought games on a disc in years. maybe digital only is still a weird newfangled thing on console-only land but it's the standard over on the PC side

PC digital marketplace is a lot more open than consoles closed markets :ssh:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zenintrude posted:

PC digital marketplace is a lot more open than consoles closed markets :ssh:

And yet Death Stranding is still £55 on Steam. :negative:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I thought most pc gamers just pirated their games

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

fridge corn posted:

lol nah dude steam indoctrinated them into spending more than ever on games they'll never play
and then also to bitch forever about games that are not on steam

if it was a respectable business and not video games then everyone would tout Gabe Newell as a marketing genius

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's more the fact Valve is a private company so we don't know their financials and Gabe a pretty private person, so it's not in the public eye at all.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I mean I do see the fun in trading in and re-buying the same CoD 10 times a year, but given Gamestop's current financial status, that might not be a thing anymore fairly soon

fridge corn posted:

Steam sales and whatnot are easier than pirating

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Personally, I sell my games locally via classifieds markets. You get way more value out of that than trading them in at Gamestop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

People stopped pirating PC games for the same reason they stopped pirating music - they made the process of purchasing/accessing it legitimately really quick, easy and cheap.

I think these days most people just pirate TV shows, because the number of separate paid services and exclusive shows to keep track of has had the opposite effect.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
You wouldn’t download a car

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Romes128 posted:

Sure I would

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Romes128 posted:

Yeah nah, pretty sure I would. Gonna 3D print a DeLorean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4kqp9mutPQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

A mere $700 to play Bugsnax with an unlocked framerate at 4k. You'd almost be a fool NOT to buy one!

I have some bad news

Bugsnax is so graphically intensive that you’ll have to decide between 4K or 60fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Let me explain why the disc version is good using FF7R as an example...

- Buy FF7R physical at launch for $52 discounted on Amazon
- Beat it in a week
- Sell it for $40 - 45
- ~time passes~
- GameFly sells used copies for $25 six months after launch... interested in owning/replaying it again now? Maybe, but probably not
- ~time passes~
- Sometime in the near future, goes on sale for $15 digitally during some anniversary sale... maybe add it to your collection now?
- ~time passes~
- Sometime in the further future, gets added time PS+ for free.

Obviously the downsides are that you pay $100 extra now and you have to store games somewhere in your house during the brief time you hold onto them.