Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Please make sure to schedule your accident and/or emergency when convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Internet is years ahead of the trend, as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMwOvPQtUUw

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

So just make sure, girls and boys, that when you are run over by a bus, reach for your phone to make an appointment before A&E can see you....

Triage by phone? What if you live miles from the hospital like anyone not living in a city? My nearest A&E is already 20km away! I'd be dead before I got there!

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
God I'm tuning into the BBC to see the new lockdown measures for the North East as I was planning to go see my partner who lives there and christ it's borderline unwatchable. How can people sit and hear someone say "The PM says if you want to mix in greater numbers around Christmas, you must follow the rules now".

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Holy poo poo this is insane.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Holy poo poo

You know, this country made its bed, and now it's going to die in it

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Triage by phone? What if you live miles from the hospital like anyone not living in a city?

Then you already wait hours for an ambulance anyway.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh dear me posted:

Then you already wait hours for an ambulance anyway.

Exactly!
When I lived in London, I had heart attack symptoms - extreme pain in chest and left arm, heart jumping about like nobody's business. I called NHS Direct, they called me back 1.5 hours later! Then called me an ambulance.
Anyway, turned out to be acute costochondritis which looks very similar to a heart attack but you need to get on a monitor for them to tell the difference.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 17, 2020

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a good idea, because then we can have a scheme where with a small monthly additional subscription you can be seen without pre-booking.

COVID is going to end up being the dream cover they've been waiting for to facilitate dismantling the NHS isn't it

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

peanut- posted:

It's a good idea, because then we can have a scheme where with a small monthly additional subscription you can be seen without pre-booking.

COVID is going to end up being the dream cover they've been waiting for to facilitate dismantling the NHS isn't it

It will be a perk of various forms of insurance almost immediately, I would imagine. That's how they'll get it started.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

peanut- posted:

I wonder what priority all those patients in Private Hospitals who currently get dispatched to NHS A&E the second anything goes a bit wrong will be given?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

haha I literally burst out cackling for real when I saw this, good job

peanut- posted:

They've been dismantling the backend of the NHS for years already

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

If you read the article it's basically just encouraging people to call 111 where possible to try and reduce the number of non-emergency attendances to A&E. If you are in a car crash the ambulance isn't going to be turned away because you didn't schedule it in advance and if you show up at the door in immediate need of assistance you aren't going to be bumped by someone with a runny nose who called ahead.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

It will be a perk of various forms of insurance almost immediately, I would imagine. That's how they'll get it started.

I doubt it to be honest, ironically it's mostly the thing insurers really don't want to do.

Private health insurance is built on the model of people not using it - so it typically covers treatment but not diagnosis. You have to go through the screen of an NHS GP or clinic to be referred for the private treatment.

Getting privileged access to the diagnosis stage requires paying massively higher premiums.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

If you read the article it's basically just encouraging people to call 111 where possible to try and reduce the number of non-emergency attendances to A&E. If you are in a car crash the ambulance isn't going to be turned away because you didn't schedule it in advance and if you show up at the door in immediate need of assistance you aren't going to be bumped by someone with a runny nose who called ahead.
Yea it's yet another thing where if you squint and take the most charitable view you can make an argument for it, but when it meets the real world it's going to end up with people needlessly suffering and possibly dying because they're deprioritised or unable to get properly 'preassessed' over the phone

Polly Pickpocket
May 14, 2012

Heath Hospital in Cardiff has been doing this since the summer...

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

This is going to go super well. Specially with all the great integration between hospital systems, 111 systems and ambulance systems. And is just a massive technocratic gently caress around to try and fix the issue of ED attendances and wait times by making a queuing system. Rather than actually investing more money at all.

It's not for stuff that isn't "blue lights on, start of an episode of Casualty" style stuff, more the "Burnt/cut your hand in the kitchen and it's a too bad for just home treatment". Still sucks
And from what I know, they'll still see people, just give them a "you should have pre-booked" talking to. But of course it's just the first step in cracking down on ED visits.

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 17, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsrobertpaul/status/1306321114738626563

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MichaelDugher/status/1306542775932981248

Tom Watson got bought off and is now a gambling lobbyist.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The purpose of the crackdown is to drive down people's confidence in the NHS.
It's just another part of starving the beast

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

:ughh:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

loving trash man

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

kingturnip posted:

The purpose of the crackdown is to drive down people's confidence in the NHS.
It's just another part of starving the beast

Maybe tbh I think the beast might have been dead for a year or more at this point and we're just seeing the media and gov jiggle the corpse.

Kinda like how the legal aid system is now completely utterly broken in a nightmarish way but everyone just goes "wow yeah that's bad" and mostly ignores it while pretending we have a functioning legal system the rest of the time

Were just in the phase of normalising having a universal health service that doesn't work anymore

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1306334039557586944?s=19

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Why do Americans insist on writing the word 'period' as an additional sentence when they have in fact already used the necessary punctuation to end the previous statement, thereby creating an ellipsis

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Convex posted:

Why do Americans insist on writing the word 'period' as an additional sentence when they have in fact already used the necessary punctuation to end the previous statement, thereby creating an ellipsis

I dunno if PERIOD is more annoying than END OF. Probably more just by virtue of being very American

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought a bird feeder and have questions:

1) put in the sun or shade?
2) out in the open or under/in a tree?

Propped it on a fence post for now and the local tits are going mad for it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i mean it's galling but he's a product of a culture that believes sending your kids to be abused and tortured at boarding schools "builds character". it's no wonder they have such a terrifying outlook.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Out in the open, don't give cats a place to lurk.

Sun also good, to help keep it clean and the seed drier.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

sassassin posted:

That’s pretty much your answer - if it has food on it, they’ll find it. Try and put it somewhere cats can’t get to it but otherwise “where you can see it best” is pretty much all you need.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

Yea it's yet another thing where if you squint and take the most charitable view you can make an argument for it, but when it meets the real world it's going to end up with people needlessly suffering and possibly dying because they're deprioritised or unable to get properly 'preassessed' over the phone

The alternative would I guess be to properly fund healthcare. Given that that's impossible...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Honestly, if anything changes Boris's mind it will be this.

Unless he doesn't care (he doesn't)
Unless he thinks Trump will be re-elected (he does)
Unless he thinks this is a bluff (he does)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run for deputy leader, stab everyone in the back, and collapse into a paid lobbyist position

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm sure hell be keeping them honest!! Reminds me of when a homeopathy company was trying to get me to take a well-paid science job with them, silly me I turned them down on principle, but I should have joined them where I could have done some good, while getting well compensated, like old TW (Trigger would be a good nickname I think) here...

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run for deputy leader, stab everyone in the back, and collapse into a paid lobbyist position

gently caress that's good.

Pigfucker is entirely correct that austerity prepared britain for covid if you think in terms of of a tory: austerity killed off lots of vulnerable people who would have added to the covid death stats.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Oh dear me posted:

Out in the open, don't give cats a place to lurk.

Sun also good, to help keep it clean and the seed drier.

Makes sense. Not many cats around here and it's got a cage to keep the rats and squirrels out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

Pigfucker is entirely correct that austerity prepared britain for covid if you think in terms of of a tory: austerity killed off lots of vulnerable people who would have added to the covid death stats.
And yet we still managed to gently caress up massively in terms of excess deaths per million.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

StarkingBarfish posted:

gently caress that's good.

When a Tory says "Britain" there's no silent "people of..." implied there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And yet we still managed to gently caress up massively in terms of GDP loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

Makes sense. Not many cats around here and it's got a cage to keep the rats and squirrels out.

Rats will feast on the seeds the birds drop, and if the squirrels cannot get in - a big if - they will for example roll the feeder along the ground so that seeds fall out. Resign yourself to feeding rodents.