Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Now that I have played CK3 and understand how it works and plays... Stellaris 2 had better just be loving CK3 in space god drat it. Incredibly cool and fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I really don’t see how adding a saving throw vs fuckup would make things more fun.

There’s definitely a lack of.... something in many of the mid-game techs, whether you call that ‘immersion’, ‘sense of wonder’, or whatever. Terraforming a planet ought to feel like a major, epoch-defining achievement, and certainly more difficult to master than ‘learn to manage two additional starbases’.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DoctorTristan posted:

I really don’t see how adding a saving throw vs fuckup would make things more fun.

There’s definitely a lack of.... something in many of the mid-game techs, whether you call that ‘immersion’, ‘sense of wonder’, or whatever. Terraforming a planet ought to feel like a major, epoch-defining achievement, and certainly more difficult to master than ‘learn to manage two additional starbases’.

Aurora does it right: Terraforming is a slow, involved process. You need to design terraforming machines and then transport them to your planet, then a lot of time passes and you need to make sure that you add enough water to the planet, or it will stay lovely, just with better air.

If you're impatient, you can even boost the time by trying the gigantomaniac approach: Scale your terraforming industry up by insane efforts. It's doable! You may end up being eaten by aliens unwilling to wait while you put everything into terraforming, though.

It's the exact opposite of Stellaris' minimalistic approach of "pay money, get planet"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does the Irony Mod Manager work/add value? Like, will it give me a better/more optimized load order? Right now my load order is p.much just "poke at it until it more-or-less seems to work, then make sure District Overhaul is the very last one loaded" which means I never really know if something is overwriting cool content (unless I happen to notice it's missing, although so much is RNG-gated that isn't even reliable) but if it can actually do dependency checking that would be great?

:shrug:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like Terraforming is too cheap, too quick, and too certain. Like, you're trying to change [thing that isn't like earth] into [thing that is like earth] and that should be a massive undertaking with uncertain outcomes, like: you might get lucky and get a Continental World (or even a Gaia) but it feels like you should be more likely to get something that's [more like earth but not 100% habitibility], maybe a Forest World or something?

I found a mod (a submod of Planetary Diversity which has a Gigastructures patch) that fixes the first two but I don't know if anyone has tried to fix the third (something like a randomized 20/49/30/1 chance at ending up with a minimally habitable/fairly habitable/very habitable/Gaia)? Or maybe make the process more interactive?

I dunno, it just feels like it's too static or something.

Also habitability should be at least somewhat dynamic/degradable?

If terraforming was harder machines would be even better than they already are

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It turns out that the mod I linked needs an update anyways so :shrug:.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
The better solution is even simpler than that. Terraforming could have two modes - populated and unpopulated world. Unpopulated world terraforms faster but can't be colonized during terraforming while you conduct a massive shift from one planet type to another where it has a massive up-front cost to start and then periodically requires you to dump more resources in at progress points (food, minerals, energy), eventually resulting in a world of a different climate type with a bonus to habitability. Populated world terraforming would be slower and have a monthly energy cost (random events that give/remove progress) but just gives the world a positive habitability modifier - you'd even want to terraform worlds of your preferred type to go from 80% to 100%, and you could turn those 20% worlds into 100% habitability with enough time and money.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DoctorTristan posted:

Everything should be interesting and involved the first time it happens in a run and then slowly drop off to routine the less of an impact it has. Colonizing your first planet should require attention and skill to get perfect; it's a monumental first step for your empire both narratively and mechanically. Colonizing your tenth planet should be press button and gently caress off, because nobody gives a poo poo at that point. Terraforming your first planet (or droid colonizing or signing your first migration pact or uplifting your first species) should require attention and skill to get perfect; it's again a massive narrative leap, nevermind the first step in doubling or more the living space available to your empire. Terraforming your tenth planet should be press button and gently caress off, because nobody gives a poo poo at that point. This is something stellaris consistently fails at. Nothing scales up properly, doing something when you have one of something takes the same effort as when you have 100 of it you're just getting 1% of the relative return on investment.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

In general, terraforming and megastructures and a lot of other mid-late game technologies would be greatly improved by hooking into the jobs system and having a whole bunch of events that can pop up when you're first setting them up. Having to juggle pops (and this is in a world where pop management isn't a pain) between making better planets or speeding up your science nexus boondoggle or increasing alloy production to protect your territory from others wanting to get ahold of that stuff would be much more interesting than the system as is. Habitats could also be a part of megastructure construction in some way, that would help give them more of a reason to exist for otherwise terrestrial empires.

I really enjoyed the Dyson Swarm and The Belt mods when I was playing regularly because both kind of do what I'm thinking about here. Both Dyson Swarms and Asteroids start out being pretty lovely, unless you've taken the civics to take advantage of them early, but the more resources you pile into them the better they get. Dyson Swarms in particular are awesome because as they get more slots and more districts and stuff you actually get more little stations graphically represented around the sun which really tickles the part of my brain in a way that strictly +numbers really doesn't. Seeing a Dyson Sphere be gradually constructed the same way, with the pop jobs on it not necessarily producing anything useful until it reaches certain points of completion, would be excellent. Then there could be all kinds of events that pop up about construction accidents, project foremen embezzling resources and what you want to do about it, what kind of working conditions you want to pay for, that kind of stuff. Terraforming could be the same way, the way the Star Trek mod handles the terraforming of Mars is another great guide for this. Then, after your first few building and terraforming projects your empire gets the hang of it and you get techs that let you build them more or less the way things are done now.

I still really like Stellaris game but the more I think about it vs. the game that I wish it was the more I realize those two games aren't ever going to be the same one.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Splicer posted:

Everything should be interesting and involved the first time it happens in a run and then slowly drop off to routine the less of an impact it has. Colonizing your first planet should require attention and skill to get perfect; it's a monumental first step for your empire both narratively and mechanically. Colonizing your tenth planet should be press button and gently caress off, because nobody gives a poo poo at that point. Terraforming your first planet (or droid colonizing or signing your first migration pact or uplifting your first species) should require attention and skill to get perfect; it's again a massive narrative leap, nevermind the first step in doubling or more the living space available to your empire. Terraforming your tenth planet should be press button and gently caress off, because nobody gives a poo poo at that point. This is something stellaris consistently fails at. Nothing scales up properly, doing something when you have one of something takes the same effort as when you have 100 of it you're just getting 1% of the relative return on investment.

Maybe not even that much - just paying a bit more attention to the details would have gone a long way. Even purely cosmetic things could have made the game that much more immersive, like showing some fireworks around your capital after achieving major milestones as your pops throw a huge party to celebrate, or having the appearance of your ships gradually become more hi-tech as you unlock new tech tiers, or have the cityscape background change to reflect the buildings and districts you’ve constructed.

But then again that’s probably expecting too much from a game that didn’t even implement victory conditions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
paradox peeps are really great at incorporating real history into games and marshalling complicated mechanics after loving it up dozens of times

no real history here, and also theyre only on the first dozen fuckups

give it 10 years

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

You know, a few of you guys could wait for the articles in Galactic Survey Monthly and just peer review them.

(not pictured earlier; a solid dozen ships all surveying a gas giant at the same time resulting in a glare of the purest white from all the survey beams)

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Looks like late game L-gate exploration.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
As a bit of a heads-up, Stellaris is now also available on XCloud. Having recently bought a controller for my Android, I tried it yesterday and I have to say that Stellaris feels pretty good for on-the-go.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Complications posted:

Galactic Survey Monthly
This would be amazing as an actual mechanic

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I increase stability on thrall worlds?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Baron von der Loon posted:

As a bit of a heads-up, Stellaris is now also available on XCloud. Having recently bought a controller for my Android, I tried it yesterday and I have to say that Stellaris feels pretty good for on-the-go.

What’s an X Cloud.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I increase stability on thrall worlds?

Unemployed thralls produce amenities (this makes zero sense), which I remember was the issue I had with my thrall worlds.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-184-fwd-notice-of-termination.1421077/

Vaguely interesting I guess, but creating a civic that is an attention tax and actively harms pop growth is a little silly.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

chaosapiant posted:

What’s an X Cloud.

“X Cloud deez nuts” (AtKSTD)?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
gotta win the competition w rimworld to be the space war crimes simulator

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Aethernet posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/stellaris-dev-diary-184-fwd-notice-of-termination.1421077/

Vaguely interesting I guess, but creating a civic that is an attention tax and actively harms pop growth is a little silly.

"Wipe out your own pops for bonuses" is an attractive proposition in the late game when you have more pops than you can feasibly manage, but the game will likely have been decided long before then.

I'm also a little concerned that losing pops from worlds will ruin buildings, which is always a pain.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Serephina posted:

Unemployed thralls produce amenities (this makes zero sense),

They're not so much "unemployed" per se, more like if they can't find any more specific task to do, they're put on comically large fan and grape-peeling duty for their superiors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Thoughts:
-Looks like we're gearing up for an update/DLC combo focusing on death or endings, not sure what that will mean in a space empire sim context (could be lots of things!)
-We better have things to do with all this society research sloshing around.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I’m not very interested in the death cult thing but it seems fine.

I still think they should assign more penalties to slavery. You should get much more significant penalties for having slavery with empires that don’t have slavery, and even more if you’ve enslaved members of their origin species. I also think slavery should be way more sensitive to unhappiness and low stability and much harder to neuter with political power modifiers.

I also think that Rogue Servitor bio trophies should be reclassified as slaves, for the purposes of relations with other players, so that there’s more conflict for those players as well.

Edit: also, if you’re a nation without slavery that should give you CB on countries that do have it by default i m o

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Thoughts:
-Looks like we're gearing up for an update/DLC combo focusing on death or endings, not sure what that will mean in a space empire sim context (could be lots of things!)

Assume* it will be the last Stellaris update before Wiz announces Stellaris 2.

*hope

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

gotta win the competition w rimworld to be the space war crimes simulator

Is that a good one?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Yeah, but there are two kinds of civs:

1. Civs you use for yourself, to give your empire more flavor
2. Civs you use for your enemy empires, to make your enemies more evil/less bland

Of course everyone has their own preferences for what civ goes into what group. For me, I'm putting this one to good use to make the enemies I want to destroy even more evil. Slaver + death cult, for example.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I think Stellaris is giving me a metaphysical crisis over what "fun" actually means: like, I'll spend hours (and hours and hours) doing micromanagement and I'm not sure if I'm actually having fun/enjoying myself or if I'm just telling myself that I'm having fun/enjoying myself?

:ohdear:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Libluini posted:

Of course everyone has their own preferences for what civ goes into what group. For me, I'm putting this one to good use to make the enemies I want to destroy even more evil. Slaver + death cult, for example.

Sad that you can't start an empire as a Subversive Cult w/ Death Cult tbh.

Edit: Although... it's interesting that the corp version is listed as incompatible with Fanatic Purifiers since I don't think corps can take that anyway. Just a result of copy-pasting the definition, or indication that Fanatic Purifier Corps will be possible?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Schadenboner posted:

I think Stellaris is giving me a metaphysical crisis over what "fun" actually means: like, I'll spend hours (and hours and hours) doing micromanagement and I'm not sure if I'm actually having fun/enjoying myself or if I'm just telling myself that I'm having fun/enjoying myself?

:ohdear:
Stellaris is my favorite game to play while listening to a podcast or throwing hour long YouTube vids up on the other monitor.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soylent Pudding posted:

Stellaris is my favorite game to play while listening to a podcast or throwing hour long YouTube vids up on the other monitor.

This isn't helping.

:v:

E: Seriously though, I really don't know if I enjoy playing this game or if I'm just using it to scratch some deep :spergin: tendency that I should instead be trying to sublimate towards more useful ends.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If you feel good about the time you've spent playing the game, then you're enjoying it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Stellaris is a fun game. The tragic thing about it is that it has all this untapped potential that is bogged down. It’s got all this stuff going on but doesn’t really do enough with that stuff.

I am unconvinced Stellaris needs a sequel yet, at least creatively. Maybe technically, but idk about that stuff. What it needs is for the developers to drill down on core stuff to make the AI actually interesting to engage with instead of continually adding frills and bells and whistles to hide that they aren’t.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's a fun game. I also find my excitement drops going into the midgame. The cognitive load goes down and the micromanagment goes up. At that point it's the perfect level of mental engagement to fiddle with while drinking a beer and working through the FPlus backlog.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Lightning Knight posted:

Stellaris is a fun game. The tragic thing about it is that it has all this untapped potential that is bogged down. It’s got all this stuff going on but doesn’t really do enough with that stuff.

I am unconvinced Stellaris needs a sequel yet, at least creatively. Maybe technically, but idk about that stuff. What it needs is for the developers to drill down on core stuff to make the AI actually interesting to engage with instead of continually adding frills and bells and whistles to hide that they aren’t.

This is where I'm at, honestly.

Although honestly to properly tap into the potential it would need to be a different game at this point. So many of the systems are just shallow as a base design.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm surprised that there isn't any (official) integration between Surviving Mars and Stellaris. Like, there are plenty of mods that pretty much do that but it always seemed like an opportunity to build brand synergy (like with the HOI/CK-era Earth tie-ins)?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I suppose it would be pretty easy to modify Stellaris Mars based on a Surviving Mars savegame, come to think of it.

Gort fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 17, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Schadenboner posted:

I'm surprised that there isn't any (official) integration between Surviving Mars and Stellaris. Like, there are plenty of mods that pretty much do that but it always seemed like an opportunity to build brand synergy (like with the HOI/CK-era Earth tie-ins)?

Pretty sure there's a literal "stellaris domes set" DLC pack thing for Surviving Mars? Not massive but on a similar level to HOI/CK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gort posted:

I suppose it would be pretty easy to modify Stellaris Mars based on a Surviving Mars savegame, come to think of it.

Wasn't there some sort of EU -> Victoria -> HOI pipeline where you could import a save from one to the other (not sure how well it worked and it seems like it would probably be un-fun since grand strategy games usually end with one massively powerful empire and no/minimal other ones but...)

Private Speech posted:

Pretty sure there's a literal "stellaris domes set" DLC pack thing for Surviving Mars? Not massive but on a similar level to HOI/CK.

I thought it was just a graphics pack, I meant more like the mods where Mars starts partly terraformed with like a 60% habitability and a small population. It seems unlikely that the first permanent planetary settlement off-earth will be all the way out in Alpha Centauri and it seemed strange that Stellaris was built around that assumption?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 17, 2020