Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Who had Hitchcock's the birds for September?

It's never mermen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1306584662207332352?s=19

"don't vote for The SNP, it'll give them a mandate for a second referendum!"

Yeah the last thing they'd want is the ability to put up a hard border with the plague lands while starting negotiations to rejoin the EU. Think of the massive healthy economy they'd lose access to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's great when politicians just declare what people want and therefore it must be so.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just had a look at the results of that "World Cup of MPs" on twitter.

Semi finals are done and...

The final will be JC, Dawn Butler, Caroline Lucas and Alison Thewliss (SNP), so not a single Tory in the final :D

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would be nice if dawn won it, though JC/DB splitting the vote and someone else winning would be the most appropriate outcome.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

It's great when politicians just declare what people want and therefore it must be so.

There was just an article about this.

https://twitter.com/LabGrassroots/status/1306591400767651840?s=20

It's quite good. Same thing I've been saying for a while essentially - The Right know they need to control the narrative to win, that's why they have the media bought up. Corbyn knew you need to control the narrative, too. Starmer is just trying to place himself in the exact position polling says he should be in, but in doing so he cedes ground to the Tory narratives against immigration, BLM, etc. etc.

OwlFancier posted:

Would be nice if dawn won it, though JC/DB splitting the vote and someone else winning would be the most appropriate outcome.

Nah, doubt it'll happen. The person organising the twitter account seems to have tried hard to split the left vote a few times and it hasn't worked. JC will absolutely win, he's had twice the votes of anybody else in every round he's been in, pretty much. I'm not so confident Dawn will get 2nd but I hope so, I'd say there's a decent chance.

Of course it doesn't matter one bit, just a bit of fun, but we should take every opportunity to boil centrist piss we can get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I personally think that starmer just actually believes all that poo poo and wants it to happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh no...

https://twitter.com/helenmallam/status/1306582450827661312
:lol:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are Rabelaisians who toby thinks are responsible for spreading the pandemic?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I remember thinking in 2008, oh this recession starting up the now seems pretty bad, it's good timing for me that i'm just in first year of university, it'll all be sorted out by the time I graduate. Everything will get better again and we'll all be fine. I would guess not many freshers nowadays will be feeling the same way about, y'know, everything

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Found a typo on the first line who's editing this crap.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

I remember thinking in 2008, oh this recession starting up the now seems pretty bad, it's good timing for me that i'm just in first year of university, it'll all be sorted out by the time I graduate. Everything will get better again and we'll all be fine. I would guess not many freshers nowadays will be feeling the same way about, y'know, everything

tbh i'm mostly thinking about how i don't need to look for work until at least next summer, thank goodness

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Found a typo on the first line who's editing this crap.

:hmmyes:, as opposed to the other English monarchs who were famously non-hereditary and highly competent.

The two examples given are really bizarre too. Like if you're claiming that Boris is Oliver Cromwell (I assume the military dictator version for forcing Toby to wear a mask), then surely James II or Richard III are better examples of deposed dictator monarchs, if you're going for incompetent playboy, Richard II and Edward VIII are right there (even if the latter was entirely voluntary after the government and Church of England made strong suggestions).

Toby Young posted:

The final straw was hearing him talk about his plans to create an army of ‘Covid marshals’ last week — Britain’s very own, curtain-twitching version of the Stasi.
The original analogy maker has logged on.

Do Not Let This Man Near Your Children posted:

A less generous theory is that the disease actually damaged his brain in some way — and there is some evidence that cognitive decline can lower your appetite for risk.
Only IQ 150+ people will solve this puzzle by saying global pandemics aren't very risky.

A Big Twat posted:

Few would dispute that he failed to give the pandemic the attention he should have done in January and February, time he could have spent devising an effective containment strategy. Come March, he was just buffeted by events, one minute saying we should ‘take it on the chin’, the next imposing a full lockdown. His lack of engagement with the detail, both before and after his spell in intensive care, means the government’s response has been led by others around the cabinet table, like Matt Hancock, who seem to be wholly captured by a small coterie of scientific advisors who decided early on that Sars-CoV-2 was ‘the big one’ and have been unwilling to abandon that hypothesis in the light of all the evidence to the contrary.
The Worst Person You Know Just Made A Great Point And Then Immediately Shat Themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would absolutely dispute that boris johnson "could" have spent that time devising an effective containment strategy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He could have copied South Korea's homework.

Like, literally saying to SK "how much for a copy of your tracing system, with a full set of instructions on how to implement" would have cost less than a too-late lockdown.

That would probably required a greater knowledge of how consequences work than the "I shook hands with all the patients" guy possesses, so I think the first step would have to be "stop being Boris Johnson."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

I made a mistake. There are too many birds, and they are too hungry. Supplies will not last long. There is no way out.

It's autumn, they're grabbing everything they can while they can.

Speaking of, I've started noticing gaps in the bog roll shelves.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Like, literally saying to SK "how much for a copy of your tracing system, with a full set of instructions on how to implement" would have cost less than a too-late lockdown.

That would probably required a greater knowledge of how consequences work than the "I shook hands with all the patients" guy possesses, so I think the first step would have to be "stop being Boris Johnson."

In fairness, I don't think the British people would have accepted a phone-based tracking system in March (gently caress it, we won't even accept it now).

The fact that local authority environmental health tracking teams were *at no point* activated to help out is rather more damning because we *might* have had a chance to get a handle on it in late Feb/early March when confirmed cases were still in the hundreds if we'd have treated it like any other infectious disease and got boring people with clipboards on it. However this would not have allowed them to shovel billions of pounds into the outsourcing furnace and so is completely incompatible with the way we do Government in this country.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Guavanaut posted:

Tory donors can't profit off that.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You sure that's not just students going back?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In fairness, I don't think the British people would have accepted a phone-based tracking system in March (gently caress it, we won't even accept it now).
is a direct consequence of

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The fact that local authority environmental health tracking teams were *at no point* activated to help out is rather more damning because we *might* have had a chance to get a handle on it in late Feb/early March when confirmed cases were still in the hundreds if we'd have treated it like any other infectious disease and got boring people with clipboards on it. However this would not have allowed them to shovel billions of pounds into the outsourcing furnace and so is completely incompatible with the way we do Government in this country.

It could be the innate nature of the Freeborn Englishman, but it's probably more likely that we've had decades of deteriorating public trust in government and vice versa because they keep doing this poo poo.

I'm not sure I'd trust a UK government phone based tracking system, both in scope and accuracy. I'd trust it more if they had just said "how much for South Korea's?" because they at least seem to be showing basic competence and if Seoul really wants to hack us they can just ask Samsung and LG to do it. The loving app fiasco where Apple and Google said "hey here's a prepackaged solution you can just download and put your own branding on" and they hosed around for months spaffing money on their friends' firms instead is too typical.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

oh no :ohdear:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1306643329292161024?s=19

Didn't we just go through this? Didn't this just kill tens of thousands of people? How the gently caress are they still doing this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because the tories don't care about lives, especially not ones that aren't working and making them money.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The elderly must be sacrificed so that we don't pressure the government into giving the NHS more money and just clap for it instead.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Angepain posted:

2008 was when I finally stopped dossing after crashing out of school early and I greatly enjoyed the one summer of decent work I got followed by a whole bunch of JSA

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Because the tories don't care about lives, especially not ones that aren't working and making them money.
No Lives Matter is a bold stance to take on the controversy.

the other one, not brendan oneil posted:

Few would dispute that he failed to give the pandemic the attention he should have done in January and February,
I'm pretty sure Toby Young spent most of January and February doing exactly that though didn't he?

The optimist in me briefly emerged to posit that this is Boris finally running out of chances, and the bastards are finally getting the knives out and declaring that actually they were never in favour of him, who even is he, I have never heard of this person.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 17, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No Lives Matter is a bold stance to take on the controversy.

When u take that Ice T song as an instruction.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's less how can the Tories keep doing it from the perspective that Tories can/want to learn from their mistakes/consider this a mistake, and more "How is the death of tens of thousands of eldery people not causing the violent overthrow of the government who were knowingly responsible and doubly How when they're about to do it again" because, without taking a stance on whether such an event would be Good or Bad or Desirable or Undesirable, you'd think it's the kind of thing that makes people kick off. I mean, if it was criminals or refugees or other wrong'uns I'd get it, however vile that fact is, but this is everyone's lovely old nans who slipped them a tenner with a wink, and gave them sweeties and told them not to tell mum about it, and grandads who spent Christmas morning helping to put together the Scalextric and a few years later when you were getting in trouble as a teen gave you sound life advice without giving you a bollocking like dad would if you asked him.

Obviously I'm being a bit facetious here but that's part of the popular image of the olds, to say nothing of the general cultural expectation that we should take care of our elderly and we "probably should give nan a call more often" and so on.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The optimist in me briefly emerged to posit that this is Boris finally running out of chances, and the bastards are finally getting the knives out and declaring that actually they were never in favour of him, who even is he, I have never heard of this person.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

I think it's less how can the Tories keep doing it from the perspective that Tories can/want to learn from their mistakes/consider this a mistake, and more "How is the death of tens of thousands of eldery people not causing the violent overthrow of the government who were knowingly responsible and doubly How when they're about to do it again" because, without taking a stance on whether such an event would be Good or Bad or Desirable or Undesirable, you'd think it's the kind of thing that makes people kick off. I mean, if it was criminals or refugees or other wrong'uns I'd get it, however vile that fact is, but this is everyone's lovely old nans who slipped them a tenner with a wink, and gave them sweeties and told them not to tell mum about it, and grandads who spent Christmas morning helping to put together the Scalextric and a few years later when you were getting in trouble as a teen gave you sound life advice without giving you a bollocking like dad would if you asked him.

Obviously I'm being a bit facetious here but that's part of the popular image of the olds, to say nothing of the general cultural expectation that we should take care of our elderly and we "probably should give nan a call more often" and so on.

If I were to extrapolate based on my experience with my mother's attitude to the eldery relatives she has put in homes, it might start out that way but over time it fades, they become burdensome, the quarantine has been an excellent excuse to stop going, and while I am sure she will be momentarily sad when her mother dies, she will get over it soon enough.

Also there are a lot of grandparents in the country and a lot more of them need to die before it will constitute something that has affected a significant proportion of the population. Tens of thousands of deaths is barely a rounding error. An industrial society of millions can lose tens of thousands and not even notice.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Latest pod episode is hot off the presses, and we even managed to get Mic Wright to come back on as a guest.

(Also recording in a heatwave made us all lose our loving minds - it was like 25 degrees at night on Tuesday when we did this - we suffer for your amusement)

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1306681915894890496?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

When u take that Ice T song as an instruction.

I like that song, but I felt the difference between 'all lives matter' and 'no lives matter' was a bit subtle for the current climate.

Granny chat:
you guys do realize that you can be a fully legitimate grandparent at the age of 35 don't you! Lots of grandparents in their 40s and SOME ITT are not unadjacent to that age!
I'm not a granny but many of my contemporaries (and up to 10 years younger are) - we don't look like this anymore

My mother who is in her early 80s and looks about 20 years younger than the woman in this picture is a great-grandmother.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 17, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Angepain posted:

I was 2 years into my first decent job back then, and thinking that house prices will tumble and be affordable.
Instead I have spent the time since giving my landlord most of a house.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Granny chat:
you guys do realize that you can be a fully legitimate grandparent at the age of 35 don't you! Lots of grandparents in their 40s and SOME ITT are not unadjacent to that age!
I'm not a granny but many of my contemporaries (and up to 10 years younger are) - we don't look like this anymore
Yes, but most of the people that are dying aren't those people, it's the sweet old couple in the feelgood 'our company likes families and other human activities' advert, not 'grandad at 30! on benefits! here's Richard Littlejohn to tell you how disgusted to feel about that' grandparents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally just slot everyone with grey hair into the granny/granddad category.

This despite me being more grey than not at age 30.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

I generally just slot everyone with grey hair into the granny/granddad category.

This despite me being more grey than not at age 30.

I'll swap your greying at 30 for my hair loss at 30

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah I'm not complaining if anything I wish it would hurry up so I can go around pretending to be gerald of riverside. And I would absolutely prefer it to hair loss which happily seems to be confined to the men in my mother's side of the family.

I started greying at about age 15, 30 is just when it got probably more than halfway through.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If I were to extrapolate based on my experience with my mother's attitude to the eldery relatives she has put in homes, it might start out that way but over time it fades, they become burdensome, the quarantine has been an excellent excuse to stop going, and while I am sure she will be momentarily sad when her mother dies, she will get over it soon enough.

Also there are a lot of grandparents in the country and a lot more of them need to die before it will constitute something that has affected a significant proportion of the population. Tens of thousands of deaths is barely a rounding error. An industrial society of millions can lose tens of thousands and not even notice.

Being incredibly blunt, concentrating deaths in care homes that people can't visit is a solid strategy (if you are an evil bastard i.e a Tory). It keeps the deaths out of people's sight, out of the news largely. It means you can boost the "it's just like the flu" story if you need to because the people suffering are in closed locations that families/friends can't visit. Also lets the government easily shift blame for lots of deaths to the care home providers if there are stories in the press, angry families or an inquiry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hell of a photo

https://twitter.com/leechwaifu/status/1306598207233744896?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

FT is reporting that government advisors are pushing for a national lockdown of 2 weeks, to coincide with the school half term week break in October. Aim to cut off the spread then, but with kids only losing one week of teaching. Waiting a month from now though to see if things like the rule of six, that's a big risk :/

So don't make any plans for a half term getaway that you can't cancel.

https://www.ft.com/content/77a1e3b6-3864-4a24-88af-df19fd22f235

quote:

Leading scientists advising the UK government have proposed a two-week national lockdown in October to try to tackle the rising number of coronavirus cases.

The move highlights how Boris Johnson might come under increasing pressure to introduce a second national lockdown, even though he has said he is strongly against such a measure.

Experts on the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) and the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (Spi-m) have suggested a national lockdown that could coincide with the October school half-term.

The government is keen to avoid the reclosure of schools, having shut them during the national lockdown in March and only fully reopening them this autumn.

That helps to explain why the government’s scientific advisers have looked at how a two-week national lockdown might coincide with the October half- term as part of efforts to bring Covid-19 under control.

“As schools will be closed for one week at half-term, adding an extra week to that will have limited impact on education,” said one scientist who is a member of Sage, confirming the body had considered the case for a national lockdown in October.

Another scientist who is a member of Spi-m said the body had also looked at a national lockdown that could take place next month.

The number of positive Covid-19 cases is doubling every seven to eight days in England, according to statistical analysis released last Friday by Imperial College London and Ipsos Mori.

The analysis estimated the reproduction rate of the virus, or the R, the average number of new cases generated by an infected person, stood at 1.7, meaning the disease is spreading exponentially.

The scientist who sits on Sage said if the R number continued at the same level as currently, it would “break the NHS”, adding that the test-and-trace system was “creaking at the seams”.

On Wednesday, the prime minister told MPs that a second national lockdown would be “disastrous” for the economy.

“I don’t want a second national lockdown — I think it would be completely wrong for this country and we are going to do everything in our power to prevent it,” Mr Johnson said.

But much is likely to hinge on whether the government’s new “rule of six” rule — restricting social gatherings to six people — serves to halt the rise in Covid-19 infections.

“If it doesn’t work, a whole range of unpalatable options come into view,” said a government official.

The official added that at the top of the government there was “a very strong reluctance to go anywhere near another national lockdown”, but said: “There’s a difference between not wanting to go back to another lockdown and having to go back.”

A government spokesperson said: “The government is continuing to closely monitor infection levels and taking decisive action to protect people such as introducing local lockdowns and banning gatherings of groups larger than six.

“Scientific and medical professionals have provided advice throughout the pandemic.”

On Thursday, the north-east of England became the latest area of the UK to have a local lockdown imposed on it because of rising Covid-19 infections.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, held talks last week with Sadiq Khan, London’s mayor, and local council leaders to discuss contingency plans for new restrictions in the capital, but such an outcome is not seen as “inevitable”, according to government insiders.

Meanwhile Dido Harding, who heads the government's test-and-trace programme in England, “strongly refuted” suggestions that the scheme was failing.

Following widespread reports of people struggling to obtain tests, because of capacity limits at laboratories that process results, Baroness Harding defended herself against accusations that the government had failed to prepare for a predictable surge in demand when children returned to school.

She said lab capacity had doubled between the end of May and September and emphasised that this had been done in accordance with information supplied by Sage. “We built our testing capacity plans based on Sage modelling,” said Baroness Harding.

After Mr Hancock announced on Tuesday that for the time being certain groups would be prioritised for tests, Baroness Harding said hospital patients would have first call, followed by those in care homes, then NHS workers.