Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
It was parked in a concrete driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

willroc7 posted:

I don't know where it is now, but the previous link to the small dealer in Twinsburg tells you all you need to know. ANYTHING that was in NE Ohio has more corrosion that it's worth. I've been there. I've lived there. I've dealt with the cars there and have a blanket rule that anything in the rust belt is an immediate pass.

There are too many cars that are not driven in corrosion-inducing environments to buy one from there.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

How’s that turbo treating you? She’s too far (30 mins or so) to want to take it to Steinel’s. I asked. She did say it was serviced by them before she bought it. Maybe I’ll give them a call tomorrow. PPI is at Nordkuste, ever heard of them?

It's been terrific so far. No repairs, just a couple oil changes but also only a few thousand miles. I haven't heard of Nordkuste them but to be fair I didn't look much further after I found out Steinel's was so close. They did the post-purchase inspection of the turbo and caught a couple minor things like blown clutch accumulator that a Porsche dealer PPI missed. The tech got in and called it before even pulling it around back. Also had them do a PPI on a 99 996 that was completely gorgeous that I pushed a little too hard on price for fairly minor leaks but the report was really comprehensive.

meatpimp posted:

I don't know where it is now, but the previous link to the small dealer in Twinsburg tells you all you need to know. ANYTHING that was in NE Ohio has more corrosion that it's worth. I've been there. I've lived there. I've dealt with the cars there and have a blanket rule that anything in the rust belt is an immediate pass.

There are too many cars that are not driven in corrosion-inducing environments to buy one from there.

Disagreed for the most part because I've had 2 NE Ohio Porsche's and PPI'ed another from Akron but never saw any rust, which is also why I'm pretty surprised there's rust on this one. There is always a chance that it's an unlucky weak spot because it happens more than you'd think. My background is functional coatings in automotive so I've seen some stuff and if the rest of the car is spotless, I wouldn't worry much more as long as you get a price that reflects the rust spot.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I mean I'm not trying to argue that there isn't more rust than I'd like or would be ideal, but to be like oh I wouldn't even buy some lovely hooptie that was parked in the GRASS strikes me as a bit... goony.

Also, I wish this were closer to me :(

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/park-ridge-2002-porsche-911-targa/7196686167.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
someone parking the 911 in the grass is symptomatic

i dont really understand why you are fixated on this particular scruffy example

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I mean I'm not trying to argue that there isn't more rust than I'd like or would be ideal, but to be like oh I wouldn't even buy some lovely hooptie that was parked in the GRASS strikes me as a bit... goony.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/d/park-ridge-2002-porsche-911-targa/7196686167.html

You're better off waiting for the right car since it's entering prime buyer season right now. If you want to make a questionable decision then might I suggest https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=560185410 because well-modified Porsche's tend to be much better maintained from what I've seen and that looks wild. The mods had to have cost more than the car currently does and that's some pro-tier options with lsd and aerokit.

If I was in the market I would be there instantly, completely serious.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

willroc7 posted:

They built thousands of them. They aren’t special. They ARE expensive to fix. Why not spend a few thousand more and buy a good one?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It’s close to me and I was hoping it was a deal but that energy is quickly draining. Hard to do a fly and drive like I did for my last car during a pandemic, ya know?

On the fence now about getting a PPI at all. My remaining hope lies it using it as a negotiating tool to get them even lower in price. The PPI is only 125 at this garage. Is the general consensus that the rust makes is a dealbreaker at any price? What would you guys pay if nothing else is revealed by the PPI?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

willroc7 posted:

When you saw it. I agree it was probably parked either on ground or, maybe a gravel driveway for a long time. Somewhere not dry regardless.

Between the body rust and the underside rust (and general white spotting on the aluminum), I'd almost certainly walk away as it is. The underside really concerns me between lines, rubber rot, god only knows what else.

I don't know what the market is like in your place but $13K before you found the rust bubbles and saw the rust is going to be $9-10. At that, you can probably part it out and not lose anything if push comes to shove.

But, I'd go for the PPI in this case because I am pretty darn sure you'll find a lot more for bargaining chips if you still think it's worthwhile at that point.

But my hunch is the PPI will tell you to walk away.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Seller backed out of the PPI, "I was advised not to take the car to the shop. My car is fine, drives well, and behaves like a porsche. Perhaps you could drive another porsche for comparison. I'm sorry gor the inconvenience. Please call your shop and let them know."

What a joke. At least it makes my decision easy.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

It’s close to me and I was hoping it was a deal but that energy is quickly draining. Hard to do a fly and drive like I did for my last car during a pandemic, ya know?

On the fence now about getting a PPI at all. My remaining hope lies it using it as a negotiating tool to get them even lower in price. The PPI is only 125 at this garage. Is the general consensus that the rust makes is a dealbreaker at any price? What would you guys pay if nothing else is revealed by the PPI?

I'd get the PPI and if everything is clean, get the cylinder bores scoped for scoring. If that's fine then 10-12k wouldn't be the worst thing.

Do you have any pictures of the paint bubbles?

edit: :rip:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Always do a fly and drive, buying a used car “because its nearby” is insanity, especially when flight prices are at an all time low.

Anyone who says flying is a pain right now has no idea what they are talking about - it couldn’t be easier or cheaper. You will spend way more on gas on the drive back!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that was easy. He did you a favor.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Congrats on not ruining your life.

Residency Evil posted:

I'm not sure, I've never driven a base car unfortunately. I've heard the base engine is also fantastic btw.

FWIW, I bought another coupe because I am a sad man who hates fun.
My bad, I overlooked that you said Spyder.

BigPaddy posted:

I have a base 986 and yeah it is plenty fast enough for the roads. We always want more power but as I found with my Scat Pack Challenger it isn't much fun when you can't use it ever.
Yeah I'm well familiar with "slow car fast" but sometimes I kind miss things happening when I press the gas pedal. But even the base should of course give me plenty of extra shove.

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks! Since this is also base/S, did you feel the extra power made a significant difference?

I've driven both, and ended up going with a base 981. Yes, it's slower than the S. It's still a very fun street car that you can wring out for slightly longer than the S, and I'm just getting started with Autocross in it. More horsepower wouldn't change the fact that my skill level is currently the biggest limiting factor in my run times.

And agreed on the surprisingly luggage space and practicality of the Cayman. It's our only car, and while you have to be a little creative, I've done some pretty big Costco runs with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hearing that the base is fine and doesn't feel lame. Which is great because I might be forced into a newer one if I wanted to get a loan, as the age is often capped at like 7-8 years. I do actually have the cash/equity but probably wouldn't want to cash it out for a car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Voltage posted:

Always do a fly and drive, buying a used car “because its nearby” is insanity, especially when flight prices are at an all time low.

Anyone who says flying is a pain right now has no idea what they are talking about - it couldn’t be easier or cheaper. You will spend way more on gas on the drive back!

I wonder why flights are so cheap right now :thunk:

I've bought 2 cars locally and 1 fly-and-drive. All 3 were great deals and I'm happy I bought them when and where I did.

I'm trying to convince that targa owner to let me put a deposit on it before the 3 people he has scheduled to look at it today come...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm hearing that the base is fine and doesn't feel lame. Which is great because I might be forced into a newer one if I wanted to get a loan, as the age is often capped at like 7-8 years. I do actually have the cash/equity but probably wouldn't want to cash it out for a car.

Lightstream. If your income and credit are good enough they give you a bunch of money for a car with zero questions asked. I did my S2000 and M3 through them. I could have gotten a lower rate from my credit union on the M3 but the complete lack of hassle was worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
It came!!!!!!

I think I'm in love.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
So did I!

fknlo posted:

Lightstream. If your income and credit are good enough they give you a bunch of money for a car with zero questions asked. I did my S2000 and M3 through them. I could have gotten a lower rate from my credit union on the M3 but the complete lack of hassle was worth it.
I'm not in the US so there's no lightstream, but that's a good idea to look into alternative sources. Obviously apples and oranges but it looks like my bank offers a rate comparable to the lower end (3.8%) of what they offer but with some restrictions.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Residency Evil posted:

It came!!!!!!

I think I'm in love.

It's gorgeous man. Please flood us with additional pics at your leisure.

Willroc, don't be in such a panic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

boner

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slidebite posted:

Seriously, it's a car. There will be other cars at good prices. It's not worth stressing about.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

:derp:TOMO:derp:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

It came!!!!!!

I think I'm in love.

loving owns

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Those wheels suit the car so well.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drat. That color on those hips.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Residency Evil posted:

It came!!!!!!

I think I'm in love.

Big fuckin win - super jealous !

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

It came!!!!!!

I think I'm in love.

Looks great! Arena red is hands-down my favorite color for 993s.

Was it everything you expected?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Voltage posted:

Big fuckin win - super jealous !

meatpimp posted:

drat. That color on those hips.

willroc7 posted:

Those wheels suit the car so well.

slidebite posted:

It's gorgeous man. Please flood us with additional pics at your leisure.

TheBacon posted:

loving owns

Jymmybob posted:

Looks great! Arena red is hands-down my favorite color for 993s.

Was it everything you expected?

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll post more pics once I get a chance to wash it this weekend. I drove it a bit yesterday and drove it in to work this morning. I love it so far. It feels old enough (you get that old aircooled smell) but new enough that the air conditioning works. It's also a huge dude magnet: guy came up to me when I was getting it registered/plated at AAA, as well as at the gas station. For some reason you seem way more approachable driving an old car than a new one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

So that guy with the Targa sent me some more pics and it looks decent enough. Current known issues are broken cruise control stalk and radio inoperable since he replaced the battery and doesn't have the code.

https://imgur.com/a/H1Vx3su

It looks like he will sell it to me for about 19,000. What do you guys think? If he supplies all records (IMS, etc), should I still get a PPI? I guess I know what the answer to this is going to be...

I think I'm going to rent a car one-way, drive out the 6 hours and get it early next week.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Looks pretty normal and targa's are neat, but I'd still get a PPI because it's hardly any risk and possibly big reward. Radio is an easy fix from the dealer for a few bucks and cruise is ~$250 with some mild effort. The entire stalk assembly usually needs replacing and you have to pull the steering wheel. I had to do it on my 968 and it looks basically identical.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll post more pics once I get a chance to wash it this weekend. I drove it a bit yesterday and drove it in to work this morning. I love it so far. It feels old enough (you get that old aircooled smell) but new enough that the air conditioning works. It's also a huge dude magnet: guy came up to me when I was getting it registered/plated at AAA, as well as at the gas station. For some reason you seem way more approachable driving an old car than a new one.

That color is amazing. I miss having a not-black car so much.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Targa seller claims the IMS was done 7 years ago. Car currently has 64k miles. Will it need to be redone soon? He doesn’t remember which one was used but is getting documentation from the shop that did the work now.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If the IMS has been done then it doesn't need to be replaced. It is a what 1-3% failure part that had a design flaw causing the problem. If there is paperwork to back it up then great. If not then it is not worth doing just because. It could go tomorrow, next week or never. Statistics lean heavily towards never.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
There's only one permanent fix but the others will work for longer than you probably have to worry about. Age is less important than miles so you'll be fine as long as he has proof.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I also wouldn't be too worried about the IMS if it's been done... but like ^^ says, there is only really one permanent fix and it doesn't have that from 7 years ago, so it's certainly not impossible it'll need to get done again or, depending what it was, might be worthwhile doing again. Just the joy of having an IMS.

Doesn't sound bad. Targas are not terribly common so that's kind of cool. Get a picture of the build sticker under the frunk. Also a PPI isn't a bad idea, you're getting close to real money @ $20K.

Where is it? Potentially someone look at it for you?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It’s in Chicago. I don’t know anyone there but I’m at least having him take more photos and videos.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Definitely a few goons in Chicago, but I don't know if they're Porsche guys.

I think Safety Dance is/was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Looks like it’s an oil fed IMS bearing. Is that good?