Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
seems like they're at least 5 years too late for the twee ukelele trend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

I went to look up the Eilish uke and I found out that Fender made goofy rear end Tele, Strat and Jazzmaster ones too.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/fender-fullerton-telecaster-ukulele/l71913000002000

They look so unbalanced and weird.

I assume those exist just to hang on the wall next to your full-size instruments to make your room look cool. I can't picture any person who would want one ever actually bothering to learn to play it.

Very much a, "what do you get the tele-dad in your life who has everything," Christmas present.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 14, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I think they look fine, and ukulele is still a thing that people play quite a bit, twee or not. Having an electronics package in there seems silly, but it's basically what they did with that series of acoustics, and I saw Jack White playing one of those on Austin City Limits, so who knows.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I like strange shaped ukuleles.
Dean makes an ML (Dimebag shape)uke
https://www.zzounds.com/item--DNEUKEML?siid=240302&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uPYmeHo6wIVCY6zCh0ExQ53EAQYASABEgKfTvD_BwE

Ibanez has an Iceman shaped one
https://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAUICT10?siid=251184&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_uPYmeHo6wIVCY6zCh0ExQ53EAQYAyABEgJ6EfD_BwE

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

I think they look fine, and ukulele is still a thing that people play quite a bit, twee or not.

i meant more that fender's usually pretty good about taking advantage of trends or even being slightly ahead of the curve like when they bought out jackson and resurrected charvel right as various underground metal scenes started getting big in the early 2000s, or expanding their offset lines as those got more popular in the past decade or so. seems like they would've done a line of ukuleles back when they were all over the place a few years ago

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

They did, they just looked like regular ukes with telecaster headstocks.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

only $100,000 on Reverb for the pair

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid Rare!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Malaria posted:

did they actually belong to someone interesting, or is it just hair-metal dad panic that their investment isn't panning out?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

No, that's all wrong

Stupid! Rare?

Looks like an old Hondo

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Just take the shame to the grave. It ain't so hard.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
first thing I though of was this though:

I find it more tasteful plus its an order of magnitude cheaper, only 17 grand on reverb. Dunno what the Dean versions of it cost.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I can't believe I'd never heard of a bass with coupled harmonizing strings like that before. Initially it repulsed me (and it kind of still does), but as someone who loves two-piece bassist-with-octave-pedals groups like DFA or Royal Blood, I'm a little intrigued.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Hagström Retroscape 8-string plays really well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mister Speaker posted:

I can't believe I'd never heard of a bass with coupled harmonizing strings like that before. Initially it repulsed me (and it kind of still does), but as someone who loves two-piece bassist-with-octave-pedals groups like DFA or Royal Blood, I'm a little intrigued.

Google 12 string bass, which is 4 string bass, triple harmonized. The dude from King's X uses them frewuently, I believe.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

for some reason, while multiple bassists I'm aware of played twelve-strings, the only one I know of who played an eight like this was Greg Lake, and it mostly just sounded clanky.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Elissimpark posted:

Google 12 string bass, which is 4 string bass, triple harmonized. The dude from King's X uses them frewuently, I believe.
I always associated them with Tom Petersson from Cheap Trick, he even has a Gretsch signature model that looks like a 12 string bass White Falcon.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue plays an 8-string all the time. Not that anyone cares about Nikki Sixx.

There's like one sound on Metallica's black album the was a 12-string. I think it was that weird huge chonk at the beginning of Roam. All I really remember is watching a video of them talking about it (Classic Albums, maybe?) and Jason Newsted just going "KA-JONGGGG" to describe it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam played a 12-string, too. You can hear it in the intro to "Jeremy".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Anime Reference posted:

Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam played a 12-string, too. You can hear it in the intro to "Jeremy".

And isn't it fretless as well? Is that not the most punchable bass ever?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
He plays fretlesses but I think the 12s have frets.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Anime Reference posted:

He plays fretlesses but I think the 12s have frets.

I thought this was still about Nikki Sixx and my my mind was blown

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Debated where I should put this TGP-based sensible chuckle. Decided it was best here:

:allears:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Debated where I should put this TGP-based sensible chuckle. Decided it was best here:

:allears:

I think I'm missing something here, mostly because I have only the most basic grasp of electronics. What's the joke?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

rickiep00h posted:

I think I'm missing something here, mostly because I have only the most basic grasp of electronics. What's the joke?

tgp dudes know even less about electronics than you

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lol poo poo I was just looking for a clean picture of Jon Entwhistle's spider bass, the fact that it's the 8 string version of his signature model didn't really register. I don't think Entwhistle himself used more than 4 strings? Granted I only looked at the whotabs website for like five minutes...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

rickiep00h posted:

Any amp setup to run EL34s is going to be sending way more juice to the tubes than any 6V6 tube is going to be able to handle over time.

That guy's 6V6 tubes will either burn out WAY faster than they're meant to, or he could possibly even damage his very expensive, no longer made, very good sounding, well liked and well respected Mesa Rectoverb amp on the simple, idiotic basis of "I dunno I tried it and it hasn't blown up yet so that must mean it's going to be perfectly fine forever a-hyuck."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 16, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it'd be funny if he nuked his amp because he's a 7 year old who looked at the bias switch on the back and said nuh uh you can't tell me what to do

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

GreatGreen posted:

Any amp setup to run EL34s is going to be sending way more juice to the tubes than any 6V6 tube is going to be able to handle over time.

That guy's 6V6 tubes will either burn out WAY faster than they're meant to, or he could possibly even damage his very expensive, no longer made, very good sounding, well liked and well respected Mesa Rectoverb amp on the simple, idiotic basis of "I dunno I tried it and it hasn't blown up yet so that must mean it's going to be perfectly fine forever a-hyuck."

Okay, yeah. I knew it had something to do with the voltages being way off, but I didn't understand in which direction without context (because I am also lazy and didn't look for myself.)

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Some 6v6's are sufficiently robust that you'll likely be able to get away with them replacing EL34s in some amp designs... but certainly not all of the time.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 17, 2020

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the tubes burning out fast is the best case scenario, worst case various other components get taken with them and you have to pay Mesa or a Mesa approved tech a lot to fix it (cause not many other techs like working in them because well they cram a lot into a pretty small space)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Not to get too in the weeds but this is people using a "special" version of the 6V6 tube and they are reading a number on the spec sheet without understanding the context. Yes, it's absolute maximum plate voltage is 500V. But its max plate dissipation/wattage is 14 watts. That means it has to run nearly HALF the current that an EL34 does in order to run optimally.

Put another way, you are supposed to run your tubes at 60-70% of their max pd/wattage as a general rule. This puts 25 watt El34s at a comfortable 18 watts per tube. The "special" JJ 6V6S tube has a max PD/wattage of 14 watts so its optimal wattage is really about 10 watts but it's being asked to run at 18! Nearly fuckin' double!

:psyduck:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 17, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You know how you sometimes want to play Megadeth unplugged but still look cool? Look no further!

And there's more in the same vein: http://www.guitarmaker.de/acoustics.htm

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

You know how you sometimes want to play Megadeth unplugged but still look cool? Look no further!

And there's more in the same vein: http://www.guitarmaker.de/acoustics.htm

Why is that in the Stupid Music poo poo thread? :colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dean Michael Schenker Perfomer A/E with Case https://reverb.com/item/33939637-de...ontent=33939637

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this legit rules

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda surprised james hetfield never had one made with the middle finger inlays and eet gently caress and kill bon jovi stickers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is slightly off topic but there’s a podcast that might interest some of you, it’s called Wind of Change and it explores the idea that the Scorpions song Wind of Change was actually propaganda written by the CIA to help bring about the end of the Soviet Union.

Don’t expect any huge revelations but there’s cool stuff about the Soviet rock scene and more bizarre events in 80s music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

*Judge voice* "I'll allow it."