Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Broken Cog posted:

Can you even assign guardians before they are 6?

You can yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Dread should have some sort of effect on public opinion, right now it's fairly easy to be both feared and loved.

You can assign guardians at any point, but you can't pick their education focus until 6. It just gives you a notification that you should assign a guardian at 6 because that is the age when it starts mattering.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Synnr posted:

Anywho, does anyone know what the deal is with the sayyid trait? I used to use captured carriers in ck2 as concubines to breed it into my line, but it doesn't seem to be the same in ck3. Is it a house abassid only thing?

It's set to "parent_inheritance_sex = male" in the code, so it only has patrilinear inheritance. It's actually the only trait in the whole file that uses that flag, fun fact.

Broken Cog posted:

Whenever my future heir is first born I immediately assign myself as their guardian just to make sure and it lets me do it at age 0.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Guardians don't really come into play until 6 though, since that's when education starts. Maybe the university check is run then?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I actually like the chivalry romance/elope stuff, the big problem is that it's insanely rare for you to EVER get a character who is young enough where it's useful. Like I often set up marriages for my kids as soon as I can to ensure that they get down to making heirs of their own. So unless the AI set up the marriage I don't care to change it. I'd have to be young enough to not worry about marrying asap, find someone I want to romance and elope with, and then do it, which is pretty rare set of circumstances. But it's nice for roleplaying at least.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Broken Cog posted:

Guardians don't really come into play until 6 though, since that's when education starts. Maybe the university check is run then?

Far as I can tell, the flag placement happens immediately "on_accept" of the guardianship assignment, which is immediately since it's auto-accepted when you are assigning yourself as the guardian of someone in your court like your kids. And the precondition for that assignment is just "is_adult = no", no minimum age. I think it's just a bug.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Hargrimm posted:

It's set to "parent_inheritance_sex = male" in the code, so it only has patrilinear inheritance. It's actually the only trait in the whole file that uses that flag, fun fact.

Ah, that explains that. I considered that, but the differentiation ck2 had was more clear. Given it's description I thought maybe they had put it to the wayside.

Guess I'll have to blackmail, bribe, and kidnap some hapless kid and do some jiggering with marriage groupings.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hargrimm posted:

Far as I can tell, the flag placement happens immediately "on_accept" of the guardianship assignment, which is immediately since it's auto-accepted when you are assigning yourself as the guardian of someone in your court like your kids. And the precondition for that assignment is just "is_adult = no", no minimum age. I think it's just a bug.

I haven't really done a deep dive in the event code yet, so I'm kinda talking out of my rear end here, but I imagine that the guardian isn't really accepted until 6, and that if you set it before then, it just sets it to automatically accept it as the kid hits that age.

Then again you might be right and it's just a bug.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ok, so I control Ireland and England and would like to take over Scotland. They are petty weak, but I only have claims on two of their duchies. I dont want to go to war over and over for just one region at a time. So I was thinking, if I keep fabricating claims in Scotland, will I eventually have so many duchy claims that I can just claim the kingdom of Scotland all at once? Or will that not work like how I’m thinking?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

As a side note, theocratic counts/dukes seem to actually give some good returns in terms of taxes, so long as your level of devotion is high, but I have no idea how to make one. There are some existing ones in the HRE in 1066 I believe.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Ok, so I control Ireland and England and would like to take over Scotland. They are petty weak, but I only have claims on two of their duchies. I dont want to go to war over and over for just one region at a time. So I was thinking, if I keep fabricating claims in Scotland, will I eventually have so many duchy claims that I can just claim the kingdom of Scotland all at once? Or will that not work like how I’m thinking?

Provided you have the innovation that allows you to press multiple claims and you have enough prestige to press them all, it would work I do believe. Though it'd probably be more efficient to just claim enough of it to usurp the title.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unfortunately grabbing multiple claims in a single war is locked behind a High Medieval innovation.

Edit: I love how even child stats have in-game effects now. This 3-year old now has 5 stewardship, so he can manage one more county.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dorkopotamis posted:

Bohemia: give it a try.

How in the world do I not get strangled in the crib in the first 3 years? (3 because thats the longest I got before getting declared on by a monolithic neighbor). No real opportunity to find decent alliances, or to do anything really to prepare myself for a defensive war.

e: is it just rerolling until I get lucky?

buglord fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

buglord posted:

How in the world do I not get strangled in the crib in the first 3 years? (3 because thats the longest I got before getting declared on by a monolithic neighbor). No real opportunity to find decent alliances, or to do anything really to prepare myself for a defensive war.

e: is it just rerolling until I get lucky?

Marry for powerful alliances, all the time. Fertility is good just because it allows for more marriages. As soon as someone is out the womb BAM i bethrove it to the most powerful ally possible in range.

Ended up allied with Italy and West Francia soon enough (this is all once catholics). If you mean getting attacked by east francia: just sway them to have a positive opinion of you. Helps not getting declared upon.

edit/ also don't do this in ironman unless you like restarting a lot.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

As a side note, theocratic counts/dukes seem to actually give some good returns in terms of taxes, so long as your level of devotion is high, but I have no idea how to make one. There are some existing ones in the HRE in 1066 I believe.

Provided you have the innovation that allows you to press multiple claims and you have enough prestige to press them all, it would work I do believe. Though it'd probably be more efficient to just claim enough of it to usurp the title.

Grant county to a temple baron, then grant duchy to your temple count. The temple baron must be in the county youre granting

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Grant county to a temple baron, then grant duchy to your temple count. The temple baron must be in the county youre granting

But temple barons don't exist under a theocratic clerical tradition. Unless it's paradoxically possible under lay clergy tradition but not theocratic clergy tradition.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

But temple barons don't exist under a theocratic clerical tradition. Unless it's paradoxically possible under lay clergy tradition but not theocratic clergy tradition.

By temple baron i mean the character owning a temple as a subdomain in a county

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I just did this. It takes a while to gain control of whole other kingdoms. You do pretty much have to go at it bit by bit unless you can declare a holy war if their religion allows you too. It took me 5-6 generations to fully control Ireland, Scotland and England starting as Munster. Try not to declare war for a single county unless you have no other choice. Try to focus your fabricates inside the same duchy because sometimes you'll get lucky and get a claim on the whole duchy allowing you to grab the whole thing in one go (this is how I mostly conquered England at the beginning). Also keep an eye out on your enemy's religion. If they are hostile enough you can declare holy wars for much more territory although you need to be a paragon of virtue in order to go for an entire kingdom (this is how I mostly conquered Scotland). But the prereqs for grabbing a duchy are easier to meet.

Once you get enough of the kingdom under your control, either usurp or create the appropriate kingdom title and now the gloves are off. If you have the kingdom title all the remain duchies in that kingdom not in your realm will go independent and you can individually declare war on each of them instead of waiting for the truce on a single ruler. Some of them won't even need to be subjugated militarily and you can force vassalization on them if you have the right perks.

Also keep an eye out for when the Imperial title becomes available. Another viable method would be to go for the kingdom of Wales + 1 other kingdom. Wales is tiny and probably easily grabbed giving you the 2nd of 3 kingdom titles. Then it's just accumulating counties and working your way towards the 3rd kingdom. If you grab the Imperial title while there is still a 4th king around you should be able to just declare for whatever the hell is left.

But yeah, it's a painstaking process. Although I will say I took longer to do it than I probably needed because I had a couple of kings that I used to spent most of their time just building up my own holdings. Then factor in going on crusades and fighting wars for your allies and I occasionally lost focus.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 17, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
One leper, one with Lovers Pox, and one with Great Pox. My second son sure knows how to pick his concubines.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If you start in 867 does West Francia ever become France? The 'not a Karling' rule from ck2 no longer seems to apply.

Also, if I convert away from Islam can I stop being a clan government and become feudal?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

All of my children suddenly became part of my brother's cadet branch, despite me being part of the main dynasty and also being the head of my house and the dynasty. My ruler is not in a matrilineal marriage, though his wife is part of the same cadet branch my kids are now part of. What gives?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How do you get rid of the Disparate Tribes law? I can't imprison anyone, because it claims I have this law, only....... It doesn't show up anywhere, and also, I am a high crown authority feudal empire.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Eimi posted:

I actually like the chivalry romance/elope stuff, the big problem is that it's insanely rare for you to EVER get a character who is young enough where it's useful. Like I often set up marriages for my kids as soon as I can to ensure that they get down to making heirs of their own. So unless the AI set up the marriage I don't care to change it. I'd have to be young enough to not worry about marrying asap, find someone I want to romance and elope with, and then do it, which is pretty rare set of circumstances. But it's nice for roleplaying at least.

King Boleslaw the Bold's first wife died at 51, may she rest in peace. One of the neighboring Russian rulers had a pretty wife with really good stats, so Boleslaw eloped with her and they were happily married for twenty more years, having six more kids. After Boleslaw died and his son took over, he went to check in on his half-brother and thought, huh, his wife looks familiar... wait, that's his mother! And wife! Then they had a feast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Magil Zeal posted:

I thought this was an interesting write-up on the economic mechanics of the game. The short version is that if the intent was to encourage fewer, stronger vassals, Paradox failed big time, because taxes suck compared to direct holdings, and king vassals especially suck. I mean, we already knew this from the NK method, but even aside from utterly breaking the game in that manner, you really don't want king vassals. You probably want dukes, and ideally those dukes should hold things directly (but this will likely break down over time due to partition).

Perhaps most interestingly however, lay clergy is terrible compared to theocratic clergy, because the realm priest will provide their ruler with up to 50% of their tax income and 100% of their levies, based on opinion (maxing at +50). In theory lay clergy lets you hold temple holdings directly, but optimally you'd want to hold only county capitals and have as many temples leased to your realm priest as possible. Plus, your realm priest collects taxes and levies from other, lower realm priests of the same faith in your realm (the priests that sit on the councils of your vassals), at a rate of 25% tax and 15% levy. Which they then provide to you at the 50%/100% rate. So yes, this also means the temporal head of faith is not very good, since it requires lay clergy. An exception might be made in the case of a temporal head of faith with the Communion tenet, which can be utterly broken in a large realm. Cities are not as good this time around, since they only provide 20% tax and 10% levies. Of course, cities do spread development, which is good for teching, but in terms of tax income and levies they are not as good as theocratic temples--for you, anyway.

Vassal limits appear to be very high this time around, so there's little reason to have high-level vassals outside of partition purposes. I kinda wish Paradox would make vassal contributions more meaningful and not so diluted. It hardly even seems worth it to wring more out of your vassals via the vassal contract system, they provide you with so little to begin with, and are not at all efficient about building up their holdings so they might provide you with something that could be called a pittance (only to divide and dilute them further via partition). This may be another reason why tribal feels more powerful, tribal vassals can actually provide you with up to 50% taxes and 100% levies at max level of fame, and they actually tend to build up their holdings since they primarily cost prestige and less money.

The other thing I'd really like to know is how the benefits from buildings work. Like the game really wants you to give out non-county-capital baronies to low nobles, but if that barony is castle barony on farmlands with a -1.5% MAA maintenance bonus on top of the 5-6 taxes, that's worth far, far more to me than the <checks notes> 0.8 percent taxes and some number of completely useless levies said baron passes on to me.

Unless I really am benefiting from all the buildings held by my vassals, but I don't think that could possibly be the case, it'd be way too game breaking.

e: also some of these barons are sitting on shitloads of cash and not spending it, is there some way to imprison/banish them and take it for yourself?

e2: Man the Plate Armor innovation with it's flat +3 toughness for heavy infantry and cavalry is terrible, and I say this as somebody running an army that is mostly heavy infantry and cavalry. That's the equivalent of 1 middle tech building.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 17, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

sullat posted:

King Boleslaw the Bold's first wife died at 51, may she rest in peace. One of the neighboring Russian rulers had a pretty wife with really good stats, so Boleslaw eloped with her and they were happily married for twenty more years, having six more kids. After Boleslaw died and his son took over, he went to check in on his half-brother and thought, huh, his wife looks familiar... wait, that's his mother! And wife! Then they had a feast.

In my current Egypt game I used that ancient religions reborn mod to go full Khemetic and we have divine marriage and no restrictions so I imagine family trees are about to get complicated. :v:

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Is CK3 good to buy now or should I wait for a few patches in? Also any idea what DLCs will be? I was kind of annoyed that some critical stuff, like air resupply, was shoved into HOI4 DLC.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

guidoanselmi posted:

Is CK3 good to buy now or should I wait for a few patches in? Also any idea what DLCs will be? I was kind of annoyed that some critical stuff, like air resupply, was shoved into HOI4 DLC.

It's good now. There are some balancing tweaks that could be made but it's fun.

The interesting question is whether it's better than CK2 right now if you already have it and the good DLC for it. I'd probably say 2 is better in that case.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
CK3 is a paradox launch game.

A good game with recognizable flaws

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

My base feel on CK3 is I think the core feels better than CK2's core, but CK2 has had more interesting stuff added to that core.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah CK2 has more features, obviously, but I also don't know if I could go back? I haven't tried but just the slickness of CK3 is impressive, as is the better map et all. There are absolutely balance issues and wonkiness, but at the least it's core ideas are very good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Based on that thread, I think the "endgame" (so the next 300 years) of my Kanem-Bornu run is going to be building shrines in every single empty holding in my empire (and there are a lot of them)

PittTheElder posted:

Unless I really am benefiting from all the buildings held by my vassals, but I don't think that could possibly be the case, it'd be way too game breaking.

Yeah I am pretty sure that any building with a "Realm Effect" gives it to the county-level owner's realm

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Popoto posted:

Marry for powerful alliances, all the time. Fertility is good just because it allows for more marriages. As soon as someone is out the womb BAM i bethrove it to the most powerful ally possible in range.

Ended up allied with Italy and West Francia soon enough (this is all once catholics). If you mean getting attacked by east francia: just sway them to have a positive opinion of you. Helps not getting declared upon.

edit/ also don't do this in ironman unless you like restarting a lot.

Is there any way to change my religion fast? I don't see it in the decisions menu but im sure there's a way to force myself into catholicism.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

buglord posted:

Is there any way to change my religion fast? I don't see it in the decisions menu but im sure there's a way to force myself into catholicism.

Open the religion tab, choose "Other religions", pick the religion of your choice, and convert.

Costs piety based on a bunch of various factors, but unreformed tribal religion -> Catholicism should be fairly cheap.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

When you're viewing a religion if you scroll down to the bottom there is a button to convert (the same place the button to reform/create a new religion would be if you are viewing your own).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Eimi posted:

In my current Egypt game I used that ancient religions reborn mod to go full Khemetic and we have divine marriage and no restrictions so I imagine family trees are about to get complicated. :v:

How is a straight line complicated?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Based on that thread, I think the "endgame" (so the next 300 years) of my Kanem-Bornu run is going to be building shrines in every single empty holding in my empire (and there are a lot of them)

Yeah I am pretty sure that any building with a "Realm Effect" gives it to the county-level owner's realm

Speaking of, are the %lifestyle experience modifiers working? Ive got Stonehenge, i own the county, but it still seems to be only 25 xp/month for me.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh man I must be missing something because to me bohemia 867 is an absolute garbage start

who the gently caress wants to start mid-way through feudalization, with the wrong religion, surrounded by karlings, set to inherit TRIBAL HOLDINGS and lose your castles

holy poo poo it is bad

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm enjoying CK3 after burning out on CK2, love the stress mechanic. There are definitely balance issues but I'm probably too lazy a player to break the game over my knee using them, I plan to stop expanding if/when I become the most powerful realm since the game lives in the character drama for me.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Skeletome posted:

Are the 'start as x character' achievements still bugged? I want to try the Daurama Daura one, it looks fun

From a couple of pages back but yeah, still broken. You can only get them if you're still on the initial character, or on a successor as long as you haven't quit the game since your initial character died.

If you're still on the initial character you can still quit the game, load and be able to get the achievement.

They're aware of this bug, it's in their known issue list

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BigRoman posted:

Has anyone noticed the Pope calling constant crusades? My Pope is calling a crusade like, every 6 years, even though catholic fervor hovers around 35%. Don't get me wrong, with a Karling start, its an easy way to get relatives on foreign thrones, but it seems a little excessive. I think you should need a minimum fervor of like 75% to call a crusade. They should make crusades more of an act of desperation by an embattled religion rather than a giant land grab.

I was looking at the GHW CBs for an unrelated tweak I was planning, and noticed that the crusade cooldown was reduced from 30 years in CK2 to 5 years, so while this isn't a bug it seems like a terrible decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/3Y1NrGQClJU

Super interesting video going through the depiction of Islam in ck3 that I wanted to share around.