Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

95% of packages take weeks if not longer to get into the standard distros,

weeks? lol try years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I was trying to be generous

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Private Speech posted:

Linux is great for productivity but as an advanced consumer desktop where you frequently install latest versions of software Windows has been way more stable (not to mention less hassle) for me

95% of packages take weeks if not longer to get into the standard distros, and compiling from source is a pain especially if you have to compile newer versions of libraries first; plus things that plug into the os at a deeper level have a non-negligible chance of loving up your system, and there's more of these you may want to install on linux. like on my centos 7 work desktop installing newer graphics drivers made the system crash into kernel panic every time it switched between the dedicated and integrated gpu

i'm not a windows janitor im a computer code toucher and almost exclusively linux and embedded code at that

centos 7 is still using kernel 3.10 from 2013 and prime switching/synchronization needs 4.5 and a newer version of x at minimum to work correctly. i think newer versions of gnome fixed some bugs with it too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Linux is great for productivity but as an advanced consumer desktop where you frequently install latest versions of software Windows has been way more stable (not to mention less hassle) for me

95% of packages take weeks if not longer to get into the standard distros, and compiling from source is a pain especially if you have to compile newer versions of libraries first; plus things that plug into the os at a deeper level have a non-negligible chance of loving up your system, and there's more of these you may want to install on linux. like on my centos 7 work desktop installing newer graphics drivers made the system crash into kernel panic every time it switched between the dedicated and integrated gpu

i'm not a windows janitor im a computer code toucher and almost exclusively linux and embedded code at that

so use fedora then. wtf.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hifi posted:

so use fedora then. wtf.

On my server disto that’s sole purpose is to never provide updates to packages except for security fixes, it’s quite inconvenient for them to never provide newer packages!!!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Windows Phone 7 and onward was poo poo. But i really loved my Windows Phone 5 and 6.5 back in the day. I remember being able to easily find like twenty different music players for it on various websites and even like five different torrent programs. It made sense, because they were the same apps people were using on the Windows Mobile PDAs for years.

I remember it absolutely blew my mind when I took my car's GPS, plugged it into a computer, and copied and pasted all the files over to my Windows Mobile phone and it ran it no problem. It was the coolest thing ever.

I also remember loving the home screen. I forgot what they called it. Something like "My Home" or something like that. It was insanely customizable. I remember having every one of my email addresses listed and the number of unread emails each one had. And under that, the weather, and then shortcuts to my most-used apps.

They had pretty good marketshare back then and I can't help but think they might have still been in the game if they just kept putting out better phones that ran the OS better. It was pretty good with multitasking but I do remember one of my phones with pretty lovely RAM (128MB I think?) would sometimes shut down my music app when I was using my GPS.

I'm not sure what the business decision was to completely kill 20 years of app compatibility, and I'm far from a business person, but I feel like a lot of people would have stuck with Windows phones if they stuck with CE. I guess we have no way of knowing though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the good news is android already exists if that's what your want from your phone

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I also remember loving the home screen. I forgot what they called it. Something like "My Home" or something like that. It was insanely customizable. I remember having every one of my email addresses listed and the number of unread emails each one had. And under that, the weather, and then shortcuts to my most-used apps.

it was shbt myhome, i think they folded into HTC.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

hifi posted:

so use fedora then. wtf.

even fedora packages take a bit to come out, albeit not quite as forever

and that was more an example of a thing that can break your system rather than thing that's not updated, I don't have choice about which distro to use at work either

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

hobbesmaster posted:

are you building this in wsl or something? how are you hitting 255 byte file names or 4kB path names?

figured it out! apparently other folks have hit it on ecryptfs, which apparently is more strict- had to move the tree elsewhere but things went fine after that

e: the 34GB tree including toolchains etc. :prepop:

psiox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 13, 2020

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I hate this poo poo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Private Speech posted:

even fedora packages take a bit to come out, albeit not quite as forever

and that was more an example of a thing that can break your system rather than thing that's not updated, I don't have choice about which distro to use at work either

Yeah man, I hate having to wait a week for proper vetting of updates. That’s why I use Fedora Rawhide and Arch 24/7. I just HAVE to have the latest!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I hate this poo poo
why do you hate brands?!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

the good news is android already exists if that's what your want from your phone

That's what I use!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol i remember kids with that haircut

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

akadajet posted:

the edward furlong, a 90s staple

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

akadajet posted:

my hair is starting to look like this (without the tail)

time to shave it off i guess

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i would absolutely wear that cut if my hair quality was suitable for it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

matti posted:

i would absolutely wear that cut if my hair quality was suitable for it

including the braided rat tail?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Cold on a Cob posted:

including the braided rat tail?

absolutely

i already wear dumb amount of cig stinking flannel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft buys bethesda, now makes ps5 games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

chredge comes to linux next month

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they make iOS and OSX software too

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

has there been a time in Microsoft’s entire existence where they didn’t make software for a “competitor’s” platform?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Last Chance posted:

has there been a time in Microsoft’s entire existence where they didn’t make software for a “competitor’s” platform?

not unless you count the initial couple of years before they had a platform

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

This scares me greatly. I will use EXT4 until I either die or EXT5 comes out.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the other acceptable filesystem is xfs

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BtrfsByDefault

This scares me greatly. I will use EXT4 until I either die or EXT5 comes out.

this scares me very little (in the longer term). i am very much a btrfs naysayer, but the main thing about my naysay is that it is the realm of fools to use anything but the most common default for stuff like filesystems. i would expect things to get hammered out a lot quicker if btrfs actually starts to see more mixed deployment by people less likely to be willing to tinker or get stockholm-syndromed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I still don't trust btrfs but I guess if this finally gets it to a point where I feel safe using it that would be nice because being I would really like to be able to use its features for fast incremental backups and stuff.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mystes posted:

I still don't trust btrfs but I guess if this finally gets it to a point where I feel safe using it that would be nice because being I would really like to be able to use its features for fast incremental backups and stuff.

It's fine as long as you're not using the modes outside of 0, 1, or 10.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

can this thread be renamed to something more microsoft-y

https://wheany.com/ms-branding/ is as always a good source

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Linux 365 for Business

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Microsoft Linux 365 Online for Business NT

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

ive been using btrfs in raid 6 in production for like 4 years and its fine

if youve got a large amount of data and you want CoW snapshots your options are somewhat limited

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Linux 365 for Business

mystes
May 31, 2006

The reason I don't trust btfs is because (as I've probably said before) I had problems with corruption under hard shutdowns a few years ago. Maybe it's better now, maybe it was just some weird bug with my specific computer, I don't know, but I don't urgently need btrfs's features so I'm perfectly happy to wait for more distributions to adopt it as the default and then give it another year before I touch it again.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

'I never thought btrfs would eat MY data,' sobs woman who put all of her data on btrfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

not using that crap