Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My favorite books are the original Thrawn Trilogy. I'm at the point in my life where what matters is if I enjoy a story, not what is 'canon'.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around Disney's terrible clusterf*ck of Star Wars and their even more terrible attempts to make it make any sense with tons of comic tie-ins.

The easiest thing is to ignore the comics and stuff, because they give a variety of contradictory explanations for things that also contradict the films. Self-contradiction in the films does exist, but it's surprisingly fairly rare.

However, for one example: In an early reshot scene of TFA, Rey is a big fan of the Resistance. Then, later, Rey gets confused when Maz talks about the Resistance.

Rey: So, you're with the Resistance? I've never met a Resistance fighter before. BB-8 says he's on a secret mission. He has to get back to your base.

Later that day:

Maz: You've been running away from this fight for too long.
[...]
Rey: What fight?
Maz: The only fight: against the dark side. ... Today, it is the First Order. Their shadow is spreading across the galaxy. We must face them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PeterWeller posted:

They have to kidnap children (and their other option is clones) to man their war machine, implying that they don't have their own population to draw from.
Those kids are their population. It's just conscription.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope; when Kylo Ren was a kid, everyone was aware that he had a growing interest in Snoke’s ideas. It’s why Luke tries to kill him.

Euphonious is also correct that Rose vaguely describes growing up under First Order rule as a child - with the interesting detail that Snoke initially rose to power on her world nonviolently.

Plus, there’s just the obvious fact that the Resistance exists purely to resist Snoke, and has been going around doing black ops against him for a long time.

Everyone being Luke Skywalker and his parents, which doesn't make Snoke famous, just that he's the Dark Sider who they have discovered is trying to corrupt Ben.

And being aware of the First Order does not necessarily mean being aware of its leader, who struck me as a shadowy type.

I don't remember those details from Rose talking about the FO's conquest of her homeworld. I was a little iffy on the timeline with her.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's not the impression I got. But I'm clearly forgetting some details.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My favorite books are the original Thrawn Trilogy. I'm at the point in my life where what matters is if I enjoy a story, not what is 'canon'.

That's the only sane way to do it imho.

I still love the Thrawn books, all five of them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For the First Order to make sense, it seems like they'd have to have complete control over several heavily industrialized systems that are 100% war economy all the time for decades on end. But then it's introduced that a sizable portion of their fleet is purchased from ostensibly legitimate arms manufacturers? Who's paying for this? Is there normal, non-military trade in the First Order's systems that constitutes a tax base big enough to build a fleet, feed an army of millions, and rent excavators to hollow out an entire planet? Is Snoke just Space Bezos and paying for all of this out of pocket?

But then Rise of Skywalker introduces Exogol, which I guess is a planet-wide cult where everyone just builds ships for free, and also has infinite steel and Khyber crystals? If that fleet was available all the time and Snoke was always a proxy for Palpatine, then what was the point of building a separate, brand-new First Order Fleet? Why did they not just unveil the Exogol fleet as soon as Starkiller Base took out the Republic fleet? If you have an entire fleet of mini Death Stars, do you even need a Starkiller Base?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

General Dog posted:

For the First Order to make sense, it seems like they'd have to have complete control over several heavily industrialized systems that are 100% war economy all the time for decades on end. But then it's introduced that a sizable portion of their fleet is purchased from ostensibly legitimate arms manufacturers? Who's paying for this? Is there normal, non-military trade in the First Order's systems that constitutes a tax base big enough to build a fleet, feed an army of millions, and rent excavators to hollow out an entire planet? Is Snoke just Space Bezos and paying for all of this out of pocket?

But then Rise of Skywalker introduces Exogol, which I guess is a planet-wide cult where everyone just builds ships for free, and also has infinite steel and Khyber crystals? If that fleet was available all the time and Snoke was always a proxy for Palpatine, then what was the point of building a separate, brand-new First Order Fleet? Why did they not just unveil the Exogol fleet as soon as Starkiller Base took out the Republic fleet? If you have an entire fleet of mini Death Stars, do you even need a Starkiller Base?

I hate these movies so much

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Does someone say "Khyber crystal" onscreen, please let me know if someone says "Khyber crystal" onscreen

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

josh04 posted:

Does someone say "Khyber crystal" onscreen, please let me know if someone says "Khyber crystal" onscreen

Rogue one does

Halloween Jack posted:

Nope, Lando says they stole his baby girl. And Disney dropped that Janah was Lando's daughter. The first order is basically every non-state military actor of the past 20 years. They are A mix of ISIS and the Lord's resistance Army which is why they do the kids stealing thing. Once you realize the metaphor they are going for it's really not subtle

E: you think it's a coincidence that Disney's first major black protagonist in the Star Wars saga was a child soldier. Just think about it, think about how clever people thought that casting choice was internally

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 17, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rather than being a separate polity, the First Order may be thought of as a political movement or faction within the Republic. Its military arm might be clandestine, and its superweapons certainly are. (It's worth keeping in mind that Star Wars takes place in a setting where the existence of active armies can be kept secret.)

It's also unclear whether the seditious disposition of its Snokist military officers is shared by its civilian supporters. The Palpatinist ones certainly don't seem to have many civilian allies regardless.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

TFA and ROS have this thing where you can almost see JJ dismissively waving his hand and saying "gently caress all that, they dont wanna think about that, we're here to bottle the magic of 1977" and it sucks

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ingmar terdman posted:

TFA and ROS have this thing where you can almost see JJ dismissively waving his hand and saying "gently caress all that, they dont wanna think about that, we're here to bottle the magic of 1977" and it sucks

Don't pretend Johnson doesn't do that a few times himself in TLJ.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SolarFire2 posted:

Don't pretend Johnson doesn't do that a few times himself in TLJ.

He does, but it's at least in service of a few interesting setpieces/visuals, as opposed to something like "lightspeed skipping", which is both universe-breaking and lame scene on it's own merits.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Weren't Khyber crystals called "Kaiburr crystals" back in the day? When did the spelling change?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Little Death posted:

Nope, Lando says they stole his baby girl.
So? That's conscription.

Bongo Bill posted:

Rather than being a separate polity, the First Order may be thought of as a political movement or faction within the Republic. Its military arm might be clandestine, and its superweapons certainly are. (It's worth keeping in mind that Star Wars takes place in a setting where the existence of active armies can be kept secret.)

General Dog posted:

There's really nothing to debate; the First Order is a political faction in the current status quo and considers itself a legitimate state actor, like the Confederacy in the prequels. They command huge political and literal capital and they bought all their stuff from the same military contractors that have been supplying galactic governments for decades. The First Order arose from the ashes of the Empire, and the First Order reigns.

(From what I've skimmed, even the new Disney Canon EU stuff confirms all of this. There's even a Centrist faction that thinks Palpatine's regime had its pros and cons. I don't have any regard for stuff that isn't a movie or TV show, but you can see that when the people writing that stuff were tasked with adding more background detail to everything, as the EU always does, there's no other plausible conclusion regarding where the First Order comes from.)

General Dog posted:

But then Rise of Skywalker introduces Exogol, which I guess is a planet-wide cult where everyone just builds ships for free, and also has infinite steel and Khyber crystals?
Presumably, Palpatine had a huge fleet built and shipped off to Exogol before he fell from power. It probably wasn't done by a bunch of robed zombie clones on a lifeless planet. (Yeah, the new Disney Canon backs this up in a video game, if you give a poo poo.) This makes him look very stupid; if he hadn't plunged a significant fraction of Galactic National Product into this weird escape plan, he probably wouldn't have needed it.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's also unclear whether the seditious disposition of its Snokist military officers is shared by its civilian supporters. The Palpatinist ones certainly don't seem to have many civilian allies regardless.

General Dog posted:

If that fleet was available all the time and Snoke was always a proxy for Palpatine, then what was the point of building a separate, brand-new First Order Fleet? Why did they not just unveil the Exogol fleet as soon as Starkiller Base took out the Republic fleet? If you have an entire fleet of mini Death Stars, do you even need a Starkiller Base?
TLJ and TROS make it clear that the galactic population is more or less fine with the First Order, but they loving hate Palpatine. The Resistance dwindles away to nothing and everyone ignores their calls for help. But when Palpatine reveals himself and gets up to his old tricks, a massive antifa fleet flies to the edge of the galaxy just to kill his rear end.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Weren't Khyber crystals called "Kaiburr crystals" back in the day? When did the spelling change?

The Kaiburr Crystal was a Force-enhancing relic that only worked on one planet, while Kyber was a catch-all term for a variety of smaller and more plentiful crystals, gems, and artifacts, and could be corrupted, cleansed and synthesized for use in a lightsaber depending on one's knowledge of the Force

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

So? That's conscription.

In the same way that Joseph Kony did was technically conscription I guess. It was an obvious reference to those to the sort of guerrilla warfare that has become to modern face of war. They might as well have called them space al-shabaab. They consider themselves a legitimate actor, but they are a rebellious seditious force that is a non-state actor in opposition to the central government, which is the new republic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why does conscription become more or less legitimate depending on whether it's being done by Tricky Dick or General Buck Naked?

The First Order is not a guerrilla paramilitary force. It's the exact opposite of that in numerous ways. Who says that they're a non-state actor and that the New Republic is the central government? The ragtag "Resistance" that's the only significant opposition to the First Order?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 17, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Why does conscription become more or less legitimate depending on whether it's being done by Tricky Dick or General Buck Naked?

The First Order is not a guerrilla paramilitary force. It's the exact opposite of that in numerous ways. Who says that they're a non-state actor and that the New Republic is the central government? The ragtag "Resistance" that's the only significant opposition to the First Order?

The unsubtle use of child soldiers as a metaphor for the FO being the nefarious foreign enemy to American audiences, which is what Disney and JJ were going for.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If that were the case, they probably would've made the big "This is what the First Order is all about" scene reminiscent of an ISIL training camp instead of the 1934 Nuremburg Rally.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Vinylshadow posted:

The Kaiburr Crystal was a Force-enhancing relic that only worked on one planet, while Kyber was a catch-all term for a variety of smaller and more plentiful crystals, gems, and artifacts, and could be corrupted, cleansed and synthesized for use in a lightsaber depending on one's knowledge of the Force

Originally, the "Kiber Crystal" was the macguffin in the second draft of Lucas' screenplay for Star Wars, and was a unique force-enhancing MacGuffin that Luke needed to take to his father to help the Rebellion. In the third draft, Kiber Crystals are implied to have been carried by all Jedi, but are now in the posession of the Sith.

Obviously, the Kiber Crystal didn't make it's way into the final film, but the idea of a crystal that every Jedi carries with them made its way into the novelization by Alan Dean Foster, which mentions that that their lightsabers have jewels in their hilts.

Foster also wrote the first Expanded Universe book, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which was intended to be the basis for a low-budget sequel to Star Wars in case the movie didn't make any money. This book had the "Kaiburr Crystal" as a macguffin, re-using the idea of it being a Force enhancing artifact from the movie's second draft.

The rough draft of The Empire Strikes Back also contained a lightsaber's crystal as a plot point - in this case, a crystal hidden inside Luke's saber was able to guide him to Dagobah.

Lightsaber crystals as they exist today were introduced in the 90's - first getting a passing mention in the endnotes for Dark Empire, and then getting set in stone by the Young Jedi Knights series, the Tales of the Jedi comics, and Shadows of the Empire. They weren't really anything special at this point though, merely just focusing crystals that determined the color of the blade.

By the time the 2008 Clone Wars series rolled around, lightsaber crystals of various types were considered the norm, with some having special properties including the Kaiburr Crystal from Splinter as a particularly powerful crystal.

The first mention of a "Kyber Crystal" (possibly spelled differently to avoid stepping on the toes of the one in Splinter) in the series was as a MagGuffin that contained a list of Force Sensitive children. The series would later establish Kyber Crystals as the standard type of crystal in a Jedi's lightsaber, and gave them the force-sensitive properties from Lucas' early scripts. These crystals were exclusively found on Ilum, and co-existed with other types of lightsaber crystals. The term (and spelling) stuck as the standard name for a lightsaber crystal of any origin when Disney bought the franchise.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 17, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

TLJ and TROS make it clear that the galactic population is more or less fine with the First Order, but they loving hate Palpatine. The Resistance dwindles away to nothing and everyone ignores their calls for help. But when Palpatine reveals himself and gets up to his old tricks, a massive antifa fleet flies to the edge of the galaxy just to kill his rear end.

Nazi rule is one thing, but if you talk poo poo in fortnite as far as the entire galaxy is concerned you're loving with God

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
This latest chunk of conversation has been largely about how things make sense in context with the established universe and lore. Amusingly, Solo and Rogue one took that poo poo as seriously as they could, because it was basically the marketing strategy that it all fit in. The sequel trilogy has demonstrated about 100 times that they couldn't give less of a poo poo, though, so even trying to explain anything in them is a waste of time.

That said they should have still made a story that was interesting, even if the things happening didn't make sense in the universe. I think they failed on both.

(still love TLJ though)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Halloween Jack posted:

If that were the case, they probably would've made the big "This is what the First Order is all about" scene reminiscent of an ISIL training camp instead of the 1934 Nuremburg Rally.

Keep in mind that they're also hacks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hanging out in his golden dressing gown, Snoke is certainly coded as extremely wealthy. A skillful telepath who devoted their powers to personal gain would certainly have no shortage of opportunities for outrageous profit. And if they're basically just a political party, they've probably got other wealthy supporters, likely enriched further by whatever policies they pursue in the open. But they've got civilian contractors manufacturing their star destroyers while Starkiller Base was built and (briefly) maintained by their slave army.

So that's two ways they're misrepresenting their aims even from their supporters: first, the overt plan to gain power in the Republic by being openly fascist; second, the outer secret plan to stage a coup d'etat supplant the Republic using their surprise planet-buster even though they also have conventional political power; third, the inner secret plan to coronate Palpatine and supplant the First Order using their surprise planet-buster even though they also have conventional political power.

It's seriously the exact secret same plan both times. And even the outer plan where the fascist party goes around kidnapping babies can be thought of as a form of outside context violence disrupting a stable and more moderate order. And didn't the Republic's government come to power after blowing up the Death Star, which looks planet-like? "Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em, / And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum. / And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on; / While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on." And at the center of it all is DJ revealing the apparent equivalence between the First Order and the Resistance.

The cycle of the prequel trilogy was that of the victorious liberals recreating the conditions in which fascists thrive. The sequel trilogy posits instead that the cycle is one of fascists being betrayed by double fascists over and over again.

And yet it also depicts the cycle being broken. What's the difference between Snoke and Palpatine? Isn't Snoke literally a puppet that Palpatine sent as part of his scheme? Why does only one of them cause the galaxy to spontaneously rise up and fight back en masse?

Snoke is just a single event - an evil dude, but just one evil dude. Palpatine embodies the ultimate evil, the abstract malevolence that transcends the recurrence of individual threats. When he revealed himself, he also revealed that Snoke wasn't just a random villain, but part of a pattern, while our boy Sheev himself is the pattern.

So first, it posits, we need everybody to view the cycle itself as the problem, and second, we need some powerful person who has the opportunity to continue it (Rey) to decide instead not to. Just find someone who won't be evil. Invoke a legacy of... protagonists?... and reject the temptation as expressed as an unexamined sort of possession or mind control.

Not the most satisfying lesson.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 17, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

What's the difference between Snoke and Palpatine? Isn't Snoke literally a puppet that Palpatine sent as part of his scheme? Why does only one of them cause the galaxy to spontaneously rise up and fight back en masse?

Well, that's what returns us to the point that Snoke exists as a reference to Soviet totalitarianism. And that's tied into the fact that Kylo Ren continues to believe in Darth Vader even after it's been revealed to him that all his psychic communications with "Vader's ghost" were falsified.

Where the Nazis were merely bad idiots, the Soviets failed catastrophically at a project that was, at its roots, egalitarian. So what exists within and survives the fact that Snoke was a fraud is this ineradicable communist idea. Since Snoke is also presented as an 'evil pope' figure, we can also describe it as the difference between the catholic church and Christ Himself. In other words, the Galaxy largely understands that it was Darth Vader, not Luke Skywalker, who killed the Palpatine the first time. And the consequently understand all too well how the New Republic failed utterly at Vader's goal.

Kylo Ren became the most/only compelling character in the trilogy because he was wrestling with this very conflict between his love of the OT heroes as entertaining characters, and a hatred of their garbage politics. This is what Snoke describes as "seduction by the light" - and Snoke, given that he is a reverse-psychology strawman set up by Palpatine, stands for a lot of good things. For example, Snoke is fighting to prevent and Luke and/or Rey from ruling the Galaxy as antichrist figures.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

A lot has been made of how Palpatine’s resurrection cheapens the end of Return of the Jedi, but I would also say it makes Palpatine himself less compelling as a character. The fact that he always apparently had some sort of failsafe/reset in place in case he died kind of cheapens the idea that this guy is willing to risk his life repeatedly just for the thrill of seeing what happens. (Thinking specifically about when he reveals himself to Anakin, or puts himself in a seemingly no-win situation in his standoff with Luke/Vader at the end of Jedi)

The guy is a freak- he gets off on corruption and exposing hypocrisy, in episodes 1-6 you get the feeling that his desire for power is almost incidental.

tl;dr: Palaptine the omnipotent 12-dimensional chess master isn't nearly as interesting as Palpatine, the unusually canny and opportunistic guy in pursuit of the perfect orgasm.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 18, 2020

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah, the part that makes Ian Mcdiarmid's so good is the way he is able to sell to the audience just how much pleasure he gets out of getting people to ruin themselves. The viewer can sincerely believe the man on screen thinks that everyone is completely evil deep down just like him, and that he wants to tear down any pretensions of goodness in the human soul. That facial expression and line delivery he gives when Luke refuses to kill Vader is that of a man who was just given the biggest case of blue balls in galactic history.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m still mad they didn’t call the thing Rey found on the Death Star a holocron

It was a loving holocron !!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Exogol was a place before the end of return of the Jedi then I guess yeah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

euphronius posted:

I’m still mad they didn’t call the thing Rey found on the Death Star a holocron

It was a loving holocron !!!
And why the stupid Sith dagger key instead of a holocron?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

And why the stupid Sith dagger key instead of a holocron?

Because Merchandising

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The sequel trilogy has tons of maps and schematics because children famously played with plastic replicas of the death star plans in the 80s

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Tik Tok teens love two things: K-pop and McGuffins. They don’t care what they are, just that everybody wants ‘em!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Great now I've got the Knights of Ren doing a group dance number to "The First Order (Is Love)"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

missed opportunity not casting BTS as the Knights Of Ren

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TROS and Cats are the last movies I saw in theaters. I was just thinking that, since I may never be not paranoid enough to step into a theater again, I feel like those are two good movies to end my cinema experience on :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

, the Soviets failed catastrophically

:siren: ideology detected :siren:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ingmar terdman posted:

The sequel trilogy has tons of maps and schematics because children famously played with plastic replicas of the death star plans in the 80s

I remember the old joke before Rogue One was that every single EU thing has a different way the Death Star plans were stolen

Barudak posted:

Great now I've got the Knights of Ren doing a group dance number to "The First Order (Is Love)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvafvTnji-Y&t=128s

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Where the Nazis were merely bad idiots

Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I write that in the sense that calling Hitler some ultimate satanic evil ascribes to him a certain dignity and a clarity of purpose that he didn’t actually have. Nazis are just dangerously stupid.

Star Wars itself raises this point, with Vader saying that the Death Star is just dumb as hell and then choking that dude out.