Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a point where egs didn't have cloud saving until borderlands 3... it may still be on a game by game basis idk. i would check and make sure first

Borderlands 3 and control were both still fucky for me in regards to cloud saving, which is most of why I said gently caress it and ended up rebuying them on steam. I go back and forth between a desktop and a laptop so not having reliable cloud saves doesn't work for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Flimf posted:

Hades is now out of early access.

I woke up this morning ready to check out other games but nope, this is now my day, every day, for the next week.

I'm so ready let's goooooOOOOO

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Awesome, I'm glad I held out and waited for Hades. Looking forward to finally getting a look at this game! :dance:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

explosivo posted:

Awesome, I'm glad I held out and waited for Hades. Looking forward to finally getting a look at this game! :dance:

Came here to post this as well. This was a nice surprise to wake up to.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I want to finally crack open Hades, but I just got back from work and am tired as gently caress.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guess what's finally coming to steam?

Phoenix Point!

I've heard from people that it's hot garbage, and I've heard from other people that it's really good, and I finally get to see what the fuss is about, with the added bonus of it essentially being done. The silver lining to that epic deal, basically! :toot:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Remember how when Wasteland 2 came out and people went 'oh yeah that's everything I hated about old school design'?

Phoenix Point is that for strategy games. If a part of you really likes that design you'll get something out of it. If not it's just a tedious chore to play.

One slight note I gave up on it after the first big balance patch so it in theory could have improved.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

I like the main character's Karen haircut.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Phoenix Point is also on the XBOX GAME PASS FOR PC for anyone who wants to check it out before slamming down (more) $$.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Joe Man posted:

I am so goddamn happy about the PC release news. Here's a different mirror since the original went private:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syl1QRue2QE

Jesus that looks so goddamn good.

I hope they don't pull a Dark Souls 2 and actually release the game looking like it's locked on the lowest graphical settings with no shadows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

I hope they don't pull a Dark Souls 2 and actually release the game looking like it's locked on the lowest graphical settings with no shadows.

I've got bad news about all of that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

It's a totally different developer so there's no reason to think history would repeat itself there

DeS remake is being handled by Bluepoint, who did the Shadow of the Colossus remake

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I mean it does look like they cut one of Demons Souls coolest graphical feature - the diegetic lighting. Demons was the only souls game that actually the light radius around the player emitted from an in-universe source, which led to really cool shadows and was just very clever in general.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

I mean it does look like they cut one of Demons Souls coolest graphical feature - the diegetic lighting. Demons was the only souls game that actually the light radius around the player emitted from an in-universe source, which led to really cool shadows and was just very clever in general.

Yeah I loved that aspect of the game. They didn't even explain it, you just had a little crystal thing on your belt that lit up a small area around you and that was it.

Demon's Souls easily has the best atmosphere out of all the Souls games. Although that could be because it was the first one and all the design tropes were brand new and hadn't been driven into the ground yet. It definitely feels the most dead and desolate out of all the Souls games though. If they can retain that feeling I'll be good with it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

It's a totally different developer so there's no reason to think history would repeat itself there

DeS remake is being handled by Bluepoint, who did the Shadow of the Colossus remake

SoC was never released on PC though.

poo poo I just realizied how sad this is. Now I want Shadow of the Colossus with Raytracing!

gently caress everything fromsoftware, release the good stuff Sony!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

GreatGreen posted:

Sony retracted the trailer and now says that it's a PS5 exclusive :(

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

repiv posted:

I want to play Bloodborne but years of high end PC gaming has spoiled me, so the terrible frame pacing at 30fps would probably drive me insane :negative:

Can confirm, got a PS4 Pro for Bloodborne and God of War. God of War was fantastic but I could barely hear what was going on over the PS4 fan noise (without increasing the volume to old man levels). Meanwhile Bloodborne was also fantastic but the random stuttering, 30 FPS cap, and horrible loading times just sealed it. :(

Re Phoenix Point: The entire game plays like you'd expect coming from someone that made games 30 years ago and hasn't played anything in the meantime.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 17, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

StrixNebulosa posted:

Guess what's finally coming to steam?
Phoenix Point!

Part of me was really hoping this was a Phoenix Wright (who points a lot) spinoff. :smith:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Morter posted:

Part of me was really hoping this was a Phoenix Wright (who points a lot) spinoff. :smith:

I'm waiting for the rest of the Ace Attorney games to get ported to PC. Is there any word on if thats gonna happen?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

So I wanted to just ask the thread - what do y'all think about untagged spoilers? These games are pretty old but people are also constantly picking up older games due to sales/word of mouth. Generally it's left to whatever the thread culture seems to be, but this one is so wide that it might be a special case.

I'd especially like to hear from lurkers/seldom-posters on this since I imagine this thread has a huge population of lurkers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wouldnt mind if major plot dumps were spoilered even for old games. it doesnt take much effort to add the tags.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think there's a reasonable statute of limitations on like, if you haven't beaten Planescape or Chrono Trigger or something like that at this point are you really going to? But also it doesn't kill anybody to type the extra seventeen characters so I'm not gonna object to a codified spoiler policy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's nineteen characters which is frankly unacceptable

Orv
May 4, 2011
:hmmyes:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So did Phoenix Point never get good between patches/DLC/mods? Wait, were there any mods for it?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

it's so easy to tag stuff, so I think it's cool when people tag more rather than less.

what's not cool is when someone inevitably starts complaining over several posts about how, well, they don't think it's a spoiler, so anyone mentioning that they should've tagged their post are being big babies and actually they're not owned. just don't do that.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Relax Or DIE posted:

So I wanted to just ask the thread - what do y'all think about untagged spoilers? These games are pretty old but people are also constantly picking up older games due to sales/word of mouth. Generally it's left to whatever the thread culture seems to be, but this one is so wide that it might be a special case.

I'd especially like to hear from lurkers/seldom-posters on this since I imagine this thread has a huge population of lurkers.

as long as the game in question is mentioned prominently up near the front of the post (or in the quoted post, - as long as it's clear), i don't care if it's in spoiler tags or not. if it's named and not tagged, i can either read the post or not, but if it's spoiler tagged and not named, how do I know if it's something I care about being spoiled on?
but getting goons to be good at spoilers posting is a sisyphean task

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
So Football Manager 2020 is part of the Epic giveway this week. From what I understand it's pretty deep on the management (yes I understand it's in the title) which interests me.

So is it worth checking out on that aspect for someone that has zero interest/knowledge of football?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I once bought FM20something, printed out a 200 page guide and sucessfuly ruined a small African team's chances of ever attaining happiness. I was the manager of said team, I don't think I did what I'm supposed to do. I do not give a single poo poo about football, but it was still pretty fun and nerdy. Two days later my dumb bitch brain got hyperfocused on something else and I never played it again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Darkhold posted:

So Football Manager 2020 is part of the Epic giveway this week. From what I understand it's pretty deep on the management (yes I understand it's in the title) which interests me.

So is it worth checking out on that aspect for someone that has zero interest/knowledge of football?

You'll want to learn how the game works at least so you know what the words mean. Folk I know lose days to it but they are mostly football fans already.

Don't be Manchester United. There is no excuse.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Completely unrelated to the question as such, but I would really appreciate it if the Ctrl-S BBcode shortcut was changed from strikethrough to spoiler. I mean, how often do you ever need strikethrough, anyway? If you could spoiler tag things with a single keypress, people would probably be more diligent about using them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

as long as the game in question is mentioned prominently up near the front of the post (or in the quoted post, - as long as it's clear), i don't care if it's in spoiler tags or not. if it's named and not tagged, i can either read the post or not, but if it's spoiler tagged and not named, how do I know if it's something I care about being spoiled on?
but getting goons to be good at spoilers posting is a sisyphean task

If the only thing in spoilers isthe name, I think you should get at least a 3 day for knowing better.

Someone in the last thread put a heavy spoiler in for Disco Elysium and only spoilered the name which seems intentionally dumb.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Orv posted:

I think there's a reasonable statute of limitations on like, if you haven't beaten Planescape or Chrono Trigger or something like that at this point are you really going to? But also it doesn't kill anybody to type the extra seventeen characters so I'm not gonna object to a codified spoiler policy.

Yo but what can change the nature of a man?

Spoilers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the real Chrono Trigger was the friends we made along the way

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, Hades is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Relax Or DIE posted:

It costs people nothing to use spoiler tags and add what they're spoiling outside of it. Therefore do it so you don't spoil someone.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Darkhold posted:

its one of my favorite series and much like paradox games, you can build your own meta stories within the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

So did Phoenix Point never get good between patches/DLC/mods? Wait, were there any mods for it?

Seconding this query.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Darkhold posted:

It, and sports management games in general, are the only good management games. Football Manager especially nails human resources. It's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It, and sports management games in general, are the only good management games.

:hmmno: