Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Costco has a Quest 2 bundle available for preorder, 256gb version ($400) plus elite strap ($50) and fit pack ($40) for $429 :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
My only regret with preordering a Q2 is that it ships two weeks after Star Wars Squadrons comes out, so I'll have to lug out my Vive to play it (if my creaky-rear end computer will even be able to run it in VR)

canyoneer posted:

Costco has a Quest 2 bundle available for preorder, 256gb version ($400) plus elite strap ($50) and fit pack ($40) for $429 :eyepop:

Though this is making me reconsider, holy poo poo

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 17, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Can someone translate for me please if the fact that the Q2 has 1 panel versus the 2 on the Q1 is a bad thing or better thing? It FEELS like a worse thing, but the only thing I can gather is that the largest impact is the IPD limitation thing.

Anything else to look at when considering that aspect?

It's a tradeoff. But it's one they are doing because they think the pros beat the cons:

-Cons : Worse IPD system
-Pros: higher resolution, cheaper, as there are better displays of that size.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My :effortpost:

quote:

John Carmack talk

-He is proud of shipping Quest 2 despite the pandemic and people wfh
-Although it also gives me the impression they rushed it a bit to reach the Holiday season
-supply issues with Quest 1, even if they wanted to manufacture more for the pandemic, they couldn't. It isn't easy to increase supply quick.
-He isn't happy with the social experiences, how they killed or forgot Rooms, Spaces and more. Ironic, given that FB is a social network company. The bet is in Horizon.
-Location-based VR has taken a hit with the pandemic (sharing headsets a bad idea with covid). Fitness games/apps on the rise.
-He uses sometimes weights when playing Beat Saber, he comments how maybe it should be taken in account in the new fitness tracking system, lol.
-teleconference talk, good old times with hard line calls vs cellular phones (did you know the old fashioned lines were faster?) He talks of 770ms latency in Horizon conversation, and wants to be much lower.
-Audio spatialization is good but could be better, he likes wha FRL research is showing but he wants it for current devices.
-Codec avatar not coming soon...
-They are grinding hard on Link (given that is the replacement for PC VR it makes sense)
-Making 'a ton' of Quest 2, in comparison with Q1
-Full resolution is 3664 x 1920. A little over twice the number of subpixels , in comparison with Q1.
-That means the screen is good enough for a 1080p video over a 'imax' style screen, or a 720p video presented as a virtual desktop monitor.
-IPD adjustment. Smaller FOV in the highest notch than in Q1. Still a better solution than no adjustment like in Rift S or Go.
-They tested oled vs lcds a lot, some of the oled advantages are subdued by other factors like mirror correction they do, that together the LCD having much more resolution, means LCD wins.
-On the same framerate, there is a little bit more latency on Q2 than on Q1, beause LCD latency, but it's overcome by the 90hz.
-Last minute issues with how Guardian works (it was juddery because different refresh) made them put 72hz default.
-Display can be run up to 120hz, although it's certified for 90hz.
-variable refresh is good on pc, but full persistence displays makes it work not as well, there was some flicker. Some hope that one day they get it right.
-Link still has room to improve. Quest 2 have better video codecs, they can do 8k video, surely similar latency but they can throw more bitrate.
-It doesn't have the 5th camera of the Rift S, so some poses won't be tracked as well. But still other improvements for tracking is coming.
-He argues in favor of wireless Link, but FB is still undecided.
-XR2 chip: bigger boost in gpu than in cpu. Unfortunately running the cpu at maximum capacity, to reach the numbers seen in the benchmarks, would need 4 times the power. And thermally limited, even with the fan they cannot cool it enough. They have to avoid a GearVR situation where it overheated and it stopped automatically.
-Fixed foveated rendering was decent but didn't work as well as he wanted (performance gained vs effect on screen). Part of the problem is their implementation, and have some fixed planned.
-How it's handled by the devs will change, now it's more dynamic, depending of the current performance.
-Maybe they will able to lower the fps to 60fps if the framerate is bad, his argument is that 60fps without drops is better than higher fps with drops, it's a juddery mess.
-XR-2 has a 'prime core' than is better in theory than others. But their tests proved it consumes more power, even at the same clock rate.
-It has some new toys, like computer vision accelerators, tensor accelerators, they will get 'good value' of them.
-Qualcomm asked them what they wanted to have in the custom silicon, but the problem is the long lead times. He was asked in the GearVR times!
-With Quest 2 they are optic-limited, in some ways, not display limited.
-Not as bullish as others in foveated rendering. It isn't going to work as well for conventional headsets and rendering systems for a bunch of reasons.
-But interestingly, they could correct unique CA with eye tracking (if eye looks at this corner, they know how much to correct chromatic aberration).
-Future optics. There are exotic optics setups they can try but... would they pass the 'drop test'? What happens if the device falls and poo poo gets unaligned?
-If optics gets stuck, maybe the will advance with high dynamic range screens.
-Tracking cameras are the same as Quest 1. They are good, but at the limit of what they can do. Next headset will have to have higher resolution cameras.
-Ergonomics: a little big lighter, smaller, still not as good as Go. Good thing for the accessory straps. still plenty of room to growth, you still can't be in VR for hours right now. He wants something ultra light (and use a wired computer puck).
-He is happy with things converging. Lots of tension in the past years with different founders wanting different directions (most other founders wanted an awesome highend gaming system, he wanted something universal).
-There is place for highend $1000 devices. But there are hazards, $1000 doesn't mean cameras will be magically weightless nor will make heat dissipation problem to go away. In some ways, the Quest 2 is the best headset they can do, even ignoring the $300 pricetag. Priority is creating a ecosystem big enough, then they can create a boutique headset.
-Controllers are a significant chunk of the BOM. Hand tracking, voice control, they are doing a path where they can release some day a controller-less device.
-Possibility of doing controller tracking passively, using ML like with hand tracking, with the idea that the controller shape is known by the system.
-Another possibility: more expensive controllers but with their own camera that track themselves, they would work on your back.
-Grip can improve. They are fine, comfortable as a console controller, but the difference is that in VR you may want to flail them around hard. Time to look at sport/tactical equipment.
-Wish for easy way for 3rd party controllers, but the current system is finely calibrated.
-Stronger haptics will help for physical feedback (like doing a big punch to an enemy). Some people wonder if putting haptic on the headset itself (imagine being punched on a boxing game!).
-Video: 8k videos look great, although the issue is streaming limits. He is pushing for taking more bandwidth. He looks forward to the 'great reencoding' where they will reencode their source videos at higher quality.
-Video browsing experience is terrible (I agree). They have 7000 videos above a minimum quality, they need to make them discoverable.
-Quill theater was a surprise hit.
-Fandango Now is one of their best video presentations.
-He thinks they need more Android applications, but they don't have a strategy for it.

-Wifi lesson: there is barely any difference in latency in 2.4ghz vs 5ghz (question about using wifi in VD...). Wifi congestion and OS layers are the main culprits.
-Almost no overlap in AR vs VR stacks and tracking software development. For a long time AR team was almost no allowed to talk with the VR team, or they would feel itchy to release a real product :P
-Talk about general software development problems: too many software layers, even if they were created for a good reason, to solve another problem. Makes bugs hard to track, increase latency, etc.
-Gamedev way of doing things vs Silicon Valley way. C++ vs Javascript...
-He would like to do a reverse AR, have color HD cameras in the headset and dump the video feed into VR and then add VR objects. Way easier than doing real AR for now.
-One project is to have controller and hand tracking simultaneous. If they get it (it's hard to do because they use camera with different exposure modes) it could help volume tracking, because if the controller is 'lost', there are so many position it could be if they know your arm in a specific position.
-He is pretty hard with their own social stuff. Repeats 'disaster' several times.
-The universal menu/settings will be 'summonable' from any app. This includes Messenger.
-They are working towards the Shell environment to have the ability to have more virtual windows, with for example a Twitch stream. And maybe later, they can get to share that in for example, Horizon. It will be harder to make it universal, in special Unity apps are their own little world.
-'for most people Q2 loses a little bit of FOV'. He goes on to comment how there was a prototype for Gear Vr with big lenses that was 120º. But while videos work, with 3d there is an issue: the amount of gpu render needed increases a lot per degree, it isn't a linear progression. Gpus render a flat plane, think a sheet intersecting a 90º cone. It's several times more effort to render a proper 120º fov.
-Question about possibility of a wifi dongle to connect directly the pc to the Quest and do Link got a reply about internal corp politics, some people says it could poison the well... still, he says it's a possibility. He is in favor of opening it up, including up to cloud computers.
-Someone asks about Horizon, if there will be objects you can take like in PokerVr. He says there is a tons of stuff coming, Horizon team is pretty ambitious, with features over the coming years. Plural.

Previous post with info from yesterday
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=317#post508122046

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 17, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

canyoneer posted:

Wooop, changed my target pre-order to a Costco one!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just ran into these "Cybershoes" on Amazon, kinda forgot it existed:

https://www.amazon.com/Cybershoes-Gaming-Station-CYBERCHAIR-CYBERCARPET-PC/dp/B08CJLBC5D

Glowing reviews are likely from Kickstarters with confirmation bias. I thought the price was eye-watering but I guess it's not *quite* as bad since it includes a half-decent chair.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 17, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

canyoneer posted:

If only it was 9 bucks cheaper :eng99:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

Just ran into these "Cybershoes" on Amazon, kinda forgot it existed:

https://www.amazon.com/Cybershoes-Gaming-Station-CYBERCHAIR-CYBERCARPET-PC/dp/B08CJLBC5D

Glowing reviews are likely from Kickstarters with confirmation bias. I thought the price was eye-watering but I guess it's not *quite* as bad since it includes a half-decent chair.

Holy poo poo that looks like a death trap, lol.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Here there is a 'through-the-lens' comparison, to see the color difference between Q1 and Q2 (timestamped)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJL_q8vSpw&t=621s

edit: her opinion on comfort is interesting. As everyone else she points the new strap as the weak point and recommend the elite strap... but she also says the comfort by default is still slightly on top of the Quest 1 comfort, thanks to the lighter weight and heftier foam for the front. She says she can use it 45 minutes before noticing discomfort, which is higher time than what she could with Quest 1.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 17, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for all the detailed responses. It sounds as if the Ars guy was a bit hyperbolic on some of these issues. Interested to see real world comparisons on the accuracy but suspect that it's not going to be a problem.

I saw the Costco deal but can't see myself needing more than 64GB and can't see how I won't get the battery pack, so would rather spend the $430 on the 64GB and the battery pack strap, considering it also comes with the carrying case for the Q2.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Has anyone actually used their VR set on a plane to watch a movie or something? I don't get motion sick in VR but I feel like if anyone's even a little bit sensitive to it a plane ride would be terrible for it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

Holy poo poo that looks like a death trap, lol.

Recently a bunch of "pro" tier players had a tourney sponsored by em.

Pretty mixed feelings if I caught the vibe from folks right.

You don't stand. Its a sitting thing. Actually kinda neat for smaller spaces to be totally honest. Dunno if I could use it full time, but it does seem neat.

canyoneer posted:

Has anyone actually used their VR set on a plane to watch a movie or something? I don't get motion sick in VR but I feel like if anyone's even a little bit sensitive to it a plane ride would be terrible for it

Yeah, Once in a while I had to recenter but it was fine watching movies and playing non arm swingy poo poo.

I mean, beat saber technically worked. but uh, small spaces and all that.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 17, 2020

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Not significantly more so than being on a plane in the first place, really? As long as you're not moving around in your seat the "virtual" world is moving the same way the plane is, so being in VR shouldn't be a significantly worse movement discrepancy than staring at a screen on the back of the seat in front of you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah, Once in a while I had to recenter but it was fine watching movies and playing non arm swingy poo poo.

Now I'm just imagining some dude having a really great time playing beat saber on a plane, and then he takes off the headset to see the entire plane has had to move away from him and is looking at him angrily :haw:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

canyoneer posted:

I bought a go when they came out specifically to use when flying, and they work great. A small amount of drift now and then, but sitting in a big theater watching movies on a 16 hour flight, sure takes you away from the people bumping elbows with you and the tiny faded screen on the back of the seat in front.

Biggest reason I'm interested in the Quest 2, over a dedicated PC only headset so I can have something to also take on flights and trips.

EDIT:

EbolaIvory posted:

Recently a bunch of "pro" tier players had a tourney sponsored by em.

Pretty mixed feelings if I caught the vibe from folks right.

You don't stand. Its a sitting thing. Actually kinda neat for smaller spaces to be totally honest. Dunno if I could use it full time, but it does seem neat.

I mean, beat saber technically worked. but uh, small spaces and all that.

Oh you sit? I mean, safe then I guess, but that seems weird. I dunno, I guess i can see a use case as a controller for movement, but its pretty abstracted from the sense of walking at that point, shuffling your feet along, and feeling seated while looking standing in game. I can't imagine not wanting to just be actually standing and using a thumbstick, or even that werid arm swing movement instead of sitting and shuffling my feet.

I don't think I've seen a single kickstarter or weird movement thing for VR that either was horrifically large and expensive, awkward, or something destined for 0 support in any game. It just feels like a solution in search of a problem in most cases.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 17, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I can't wait for the display fidelity to get to the point I can use one as a laptop display replacement while flying. I always feel weird with 7 or 8 bored people watching me tinker on my computer, they might see my waifu pics or something idk.

Not like that's gonna be a problem anytime soon of course :smith:

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Delta-Wye posted:

I can't wait for the display fidelity to get to the point I can use one as a laptop display replacement while flying. I always feel weird with 7 or 8 bored people watching me tinker on my computer, they might see my waifu pics or something idk.

Actually yeah, has anybody here used their Quest on an airplane? How'd it go?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Delta-Wye posted:

I was able to spend useful time working on a VR project using Virtual Desktop with the Quest, and the Quest 2 has 50% more resolution per eye, or double the subpixels since it went from pentile to RGB. I think Quest 2 is gonna be good enough for spending time in as long as the comfort issue is fixed with the better headstrap, dunno about the specific use case of connecting to it on a flight

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
The Go has a really hilariously good looking display/lens setup for how the HMD was positioned in the market, so I have high expectations at least.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seems thats the push they're trying to make with the office suite stuff they were announcing. Having a tracked keyboard that also shows your hands on it, multiple windows up, and saying its about at the point of a 720p display at normal monitor distance and size, sounds like it could be aaaaalllllmost to the point of being possibly, maybe, potentially, sorta, useful.

Perhaps.

... but probably not still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bVkbG1ZCo

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

But if you have a headset and headphones on someone might swipe your pretzels :ohdear:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

canyoneer posted:

But if you have a headset and headphones on someone might swipe your pretzels :ohdear:

The solution is for Facebook to develop digestible rfid chips that emit ir and sell oculus brand snacks.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Lockback posted:

I put in my pre-order for a Q2. I am coming from an OG Rift. G2 is still interesting so I pre-ordered from Target for easy return if this doesn't hit how I want it to.

I totally understand the FB aversion thing and I think its lovely but my FB use is right now just sharing photos of my kids for grandparents and checking restaurant menus so I guess they can take that data.

I am definitely not telling you what to buy or anything but just in case you’re not aware the vast majority of facebook’s data on people is activity users do outside of Facebook. Tons of sites partner with Facebook (both transparently and hidden) and anything you do there is aggregated as well. If you have the app on your phone it can extend to other apps, phone browsing, and real world stuff like gps location and stuff. Most of what your Facebook profile does is just give them a name to attach the rest of their tracking to, and a network of people that you know.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm pretty confident that if they had wanted to, they could have provided a live covid-contact map covering the entire US, if not a significant portion of the entire world, from day one. And it wouldn't in any way be limited to Facebook users.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

GutBomb posted:

I am definitely not telling you what to buy or anything but just in case you’re not aware the vast majority of facebook’s data on people is activity users do outside of Facebook. Tons of sites partner with Facebook (both transparently and hidden) and anything you do there is aggregated as well. If you have the app on your phone it can extend to other apps, phone browsing, and real world stuff like gps location and stuff. Most of what your Facebook profile does is just give them a name to attach the rest of their tracking to, and a network of people that you know.

Exactly, Facebook is a NSA-tier intelligence agency that won't be stopped until America starts enforcing antitrust law again or criminalises targeted advertising as a whole. So you might as well get an awesome headset out of it and hang out and look at weird VR porn. And they are for sure making them at a loss, if it helps any.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

chaosbreather posted:

Exactly, Facebook is a NSA-tier intelligence agency that won't be stopped until America starts enforcing antitrust law again or criminalises targeted advertising as a whole. So you might as well get an awesome headset out of it and hang out and look at weird VR porn. And they are for sure making them at a loss, if it helps any.

Or you know, uninstall Facebook from your phone and use Firefox on phone and PC which tries it's darndest to block any and all Facebook trackers by default. That's a good idea at a minimum even if you still need FB to get invited to parties.

I got an imported Asus Rog Phone 2 so at least I know that China is blocking the US from tracking me, so China can track me instead.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope the pass through cameras are better.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ephori posted:

From Q1 to Q2? Sounds like the same sensor with the same passthrough experience.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

Facebook is a NSA-tier intelligence agency

This is probably alarmingly accurate

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ephori posted:

They're not, they're exactly the same. Carmack talked about it last night, he really wanted full color high resolution cameras but the computer vision people don't like that because it means rolling shutter instead of the global shutter they currently get.

His opinion was that even if that's a tough problem, they're the best computer vision people in the world and they should just figure it out.

He apparently lost that argument, but did get to test passthrough with high quality color cameras and said that while it still had issues that it was way better and felt almost real and that he really wanted it in the headset.

It is a shame, but I guess that leaves some low hanging fruit for Quest 3 in 18 months. :v:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Tip posted:

They're not, they're exactly the same. Carmack talked about it last night, he really wanted full color high resolution cameras but the computer vision people don't like that because it means rolling shutter instead of the global shutter they currently get.

His opinion was that even if that's a tough problem, they're the best computer vision people in the world and they should just figure it out.

He apparently lost that argument, but did get to test passthrough with high quality color cameras and said that while it still had issues that it was way better and felt almost real and that he really wanted it in the headset.

It is a shame, but I guess that leaves some low hanging fruit for Quest 3 in 18 months. :v:

Goddammit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I was ready to ignore the Q2 but the price is killer. My friend has been dying to try VR so I’m going to hand-me-down my Q1 once my pre-order arrives.

Really curious what the elite strap experience will be like vs my existing franken-DAS.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
The Canadian price for the Quest 2 seems pretty crazy even given the current exchange rate. $460CAD for the 64GB version.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
https://old.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/iulw0s/nowaysis_login_required/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Ott_ posted:

Actually yeah, has anybody here used their Quest on an airplane? How'd it go?

My Beat Saber score took a hit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is the best VR game to play on a flight.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

DrBox posted:

The Canadian price for the Quest 2 seems pretty crazy even given the current exchange rate. $460CAD for the 64GB version.

It’s crazy that it’s not more marked up on import, on that I’d agree. The pre-tax price is only like $5-10 higher than the converted price at today’s exchange rate, which is great for anything these days.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I think it's finally time to retire my poo poo rear end old dell wmr headset with a vive strap hacked onto it with 3d printed bits because the stupid halo thing broke.

To be fair, the halo sucked rear end and the vive strap is actually an improvement, but drat the wmr controllers were never, ever good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m wondering whether it will be worthwhile to try to reuse my vive DAS on the Q2 via some kind of 3d printed chicanery, or just invest in the OEM rigid strap. I don’t particularly like the idea of ditching the nice sound I got from the DAS in favour of the sound pipes again, but maybe this is just a case for some nice in-ear buds.

All I know is I’m going to NEED a comfort strap. The original Q1 headstrap was MURDER on my head — unwearable after five minutes for excruciating pain. The Q2 out of box strap looks even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Martytoof posted:

It’s crazy that it’s not more marked up on import, on that I’d agree. The pre-tax price is only like $5-10 higher than the converted price at today’s exchange rate, which is great for anything these days.

According to google USD to CAD is 1.32 making $299 US come out to $394 CAD. The pre tax price on the Oculus site is $459 making it $68(edit: 65, sorry) dollars higher, not $5-10.

DrBox fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 18, 2020