Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Question 17 seems reasonable enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
A lot of Australians are barely literate in English.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It's important to learn the language when you move to a country, which is why we all speak a vibrant array of indigenous languages that totally aren't either already extinct or in danger of being lost

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
"Deepfaked"? That's some 70s era voiceover.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It's important to learn the language when you move to a country, which is why we all speak a vibrant array of indigenous languages that totally aren't either already extinct or in danger of being lost

Wow you're so clever.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

Question 17 seems reasonable enough.

It's pretty funny when you consider English has no official legal status as national language of Australia and the correct answer is factually wrong

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It's pretty funny when you consider English has no official legal status as national language of Australia and the correct answer is factually wrong

I don't think you need to legally enshrine English as the national language for it to be factually correct that all our poo poo is written in English.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

All our poo poo is written in a lot of languages tho, the point of not having a de Jure national language is that there's no functional reason to actually identify and specific language as a national language. It's funny to say something is a national language when it doesn't have de Jure status. Sorry jordies hosed your brain chemistry for humour or whatever bro

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

All our poo poo is written in a lot of languages tho, the point of not having a de Jure national language is that there's no functional reason to actually identify and specific language as a national language. It's funny to say something is a national language when it doesn't have de Jure status. Sorry jordies hosed your brain chemistry for humour or whatever bro

Next time I apply for a job I'll write my application in Farsi and see how it goes.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

If you apply for the public service, maybe

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Next time I apply for a job I'll write my application in Farsi and see how it goes.

will be a step up from smearing your poo poo everywhere and calling it shakespeare

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

JBP posted:

Honestly knowing farsi is probably a job opener

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Tommunist posted:

Honestly knowing farsi is probably a job opener

If you know Farsi and English, absolutely.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

This is all getting a little farce-y.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

uvar posted:

Would you pass the Australian Values section on the updated Citizenship Test? I'm also still waiting to see what the updates to the Australian Values Statement are about.

16. Which of these statements best demonstrates Australian values about freedom of expression?
a. Everyone can peacefully express their opinions within the law
b. People with different views from me need to keep quiet
c. Only approved topics can be discussed

17. Should people in Australia make an effort to learn English?
a. People in Australia should speak whichever language is most commonly spoken in their local neighbourhood
b. There is no expectation to learn any particular language in Australia
c. Yes, English is the national language of Australia and it helps to get an education, a job, and to integrate into the community

18. In Australia, can you encourage violence against a person or group of people if you have been insulted?
a. Yes, if you do not intend to carry out the violence
b. No, it is against Australian values and the law
c. Sometimes, if I feel very offended

19. Should people tolerate one another where they find that they disagree?
a. It is against the law to disagree with one another
b. No, people only need to treat each other with respect if they agree with one another
c. Yes, peaceful disagreement reflects Australian values in relation to mutual respect

20. Which of the following is an example of contributing to the Australian community?
a. Volunteering or fundraising for a charity is a great opportunity to strengthen our community
b. I should not make any effort to get to know other people
c. People in Australia should not contribute to the community because Australia is a free country

This feels like the "Are you a terrorist? [ ] Yes [ ] No" question on the USA visa application.

lol answering anything other than c for question 17 automatically fails you on the whole test

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 18, 2020

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
The low tier public servants drafting the brief and being like "maybe it would better if I was dead instead of making this"

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Joe Hildebrand has joined 2GB. I’m sure this revelation will shock you.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Zenithe posted:

Shocked that he wasn't already with them yeah.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-18/former-premier-colin-barnett-wants-juukan-gorge-royal-commission/12678126

quote:

Former West Australian premier Colin Barnett has called for a royal commission into Rio Tinto's destruction of ancient rock shelters in the Pilbara.

Mr Barnett, whose granted the company consent to destroy Aboriginal sites in 2013, said the issue was of such significance it warranted an independent inquiry with judicial powers.

Between that line and the photo chosen, someone at the ABC doesnt like Colin. Which is good because he can gently caress off.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A former stock trader who drunkenly robbed Sydney banks more than four decades ago has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail.

Ross McCarty, now 71, admitted to police he had a double life in which he would "get boozed at lunch time" for the hold ups in 1977 and 1978.

Using a water pistol and disguises including fake moustaches and sunglasses, McCarty wrote his demands for cash on withdrawal slips handed to tellers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lid posted:

A former stock trader who drunkenly robbed Sydney banks more than four decades ago has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years in jail.

Ross McCarty, now 71, admitted to police he had a double life in which he would "get boozed at lunch time" for the hold ups in 1977 and 1978.

Using a water pistol and disguises including fake moustaches and sunglasses, McCarty wrote his demands for cash on withdrawal slips handed to tellers.

Doesn’t seem like a double life to me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Do you want to pass the citizenship test, or do you want to be right? they are mutually exclusive.

Also C might not be true but it is absolutely going to put you at an advantage in all 3 areas listed as benefitting vs those that dont so

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sydney-trader-who-robbed-banks-in-the-1970s-after-boozy-lunches-jailed-20200918-p55wx6.html

He got convicted of fraud offenses in 2010, then the old case squad reopened the bank robberies in 2018 and did some fingerprint analysis.

Moral of the story is not to get caught for fraud, looks like.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

There are days when I wonder if this is, in fact, purgatory.

Then poo poo like this happens and you realise.. no.. this is definitely hell.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

There are days when I wonder if this is, in fact, purgatory.

Then poo poo like this happens and you realise.. no.. this is definitely hell.

The gif was just two days away from retirement.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

The gif was just two days away from retirement.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:yeah:

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Ah but he sounded so unhappy when he said he had to leave ten

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hello this is centre left supercommenter Joe Hildebrand for 2GB today's discussion reverse racism and how it probably happened to you.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Debbie rules

https://twitter.com/DebKilroy/status/1306872546181238784

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember complaining how they did sneak English as Australia official language in some bill about Aboriginal reconciliation.

Edit, this had to be at least a few years ago now though so who knows

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Replace the entirety of the OP with this, thanks

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Wheres tim smith

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/nsw-central-coact-holiday-homes-tourism-covid-19-hotspots/12669074

I don't know what to do about this. Like it's not just a whinge and I know I wouldn't be working a full week to earn a hundred bucks more than jobseeker if I was on it. This combined with all the insolvent traders will be interesting. Work for the jobseeker incoming.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Queen Elizabeth? Help!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-16/nsw-central-coact-holiday-homes-tourism-covid-19-hotspots/12669074

I don't know what to do about this. Like it's not just a whinge and I know I wouldn't be working a full week to earn a hundred bucks more than jobseeker if I was on it. This combined with all the insolvent traders will be interesting. Work for the jobseeker incoming.

Really turns out a lot of places arent paying a living wage

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

Jobseeker will be significantly reduced in 5 days when the Coronavirus supplement goes from $550/fn to $250/fn.

Pretty sure there would already be work for the jobseeker in the mutual obligation toolbox.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah if you refuse reasonable work theres penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Really turns out a lot of places arent paying a living wage

"Plantations unable to attract slaves now emancipation in effect."