Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I got the exploding special upgrade for the spear and I'm completely loving wrecking everything before it can even get near me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Surprised Horizon is considered to be a difficult racing game. I personally breezed through the campaign and had a great time doing it! I found playing a high handling high acceleration high fuel car to be the way to go. The lower maximum speed was never a problem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly I'm surprised Nippon Ichi is even alive. I thought them getting screwed over by a shady mobile game developer ruined them.

Anyways I bet Nintendo is footing the bill for Disgaea 6, which is why it's exclusive.

Yeah I was worried we wouldn't get another Disgaea. I'm so pumped. I wish they'd make more SRPGs like they used to.

alr
May 14, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Honestly I'm surprised Nippon Ichi is even alive. I thought them getting screwed over by a shady mobile game developer ruined them.

Anyways I bet Nintendo is footing the bill for Disgaea 6, which is why it's exclusive.

It's on PS4 in Japan, but no word if that's because they're choosing not to localise the PS4 version due to Sony's censorship policies, if Nintendo is paying for the localisation, or simply because they haven't updated any advertising for it yet

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I called GameStop a few hours ago and they told me there were plenty of reserve copies available. Went down there and paid for it, and will pick it up tomorrow. Doesn’t seem like there will be any scarcity involved.

E: 3D All Stars

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 18, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ori 2 is really pretty :swoon:

I forgot how much I loved this animation style from the first one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LuckyCat posted:

I called GameStop a few hours ago and they told me there were plenty of reserve copies available. Went down there and paid for it, and will pick it up tomorrow. Doesn’t seem like there will be any scarcity involved.

I thought I was in the PS4 thread and this was about the PS5 and nearly lost my mind

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LuckyCat posted:

BUT IT'S SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dr Pepper posted:

It might be exclusive to Nintendo because Disgaea 5 was originally exclusive to Sony... and then Sony dropped Bloodborne in the same week, and NIS got slightly pissed at them for releasing a game that would obviously overshadow it.

But yeah, it's nice to see they haven't been killed off :shobon:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hey guys I’m ready to play some Mario tonight

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I’m too busy playing a superior game Hades to worry about a bunch of old Mario’s.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

abelwingnut posted:

so i've seen a few posters talk about mr driller drillland. i've watched a few videos of it now. something is not clicking.

like i get if you shovel a block of color x, then all neighboring blocks of color x will disappear. this will recur until there are no more blocks of color x touching affected blocks.

but maybe i'm not getting how the branched-out block fall exactly. some seem to fall a bit, some seem to fall all the way? not sure what's going on there.

i feel like i want to like this game, but...it doesn't seem challenging? i don't know. i guess i haven't seen it get intense or confusing or something yet. tell me what i'm supposed to be appreciating here.

blocks stop falling if they touch another block of the same color

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Man switch has been so downgraded for me since I've been forced to WFH. Hades is precisely the sort of game I would have double dip rebought for portability but now it's like I don't care at all about that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Morpheus posted:

I always am like "gently caress yeah, going to get such high levels" every time I play a Disgaea game.

I have never passed level 100 in any of them.

I have played every single one.

So naturally, I see this and go 'oh poo poo, yes this is perfect I am definitely going to get some fuckin' max level guys'

Getting past level 100 is super easy though. The games usually have a storyline stage that can have enemies adjusted to lvl 99 (which give more xp than enemies ranging from lvls 100-500 because 90-99 gets a weird xp gain spike).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfCO_x7rPLg

Disgaea 6, Summer 2021 as a Switch Exclusive (and also on PS4 in Japan) :toot:

oh and I fell off the thread and saw this just now and I absolutely love how wonderfully dumb the trailer is

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

so i've seen a few posters talk about mr driller drillland. i've watched a few videos of it now. something is not clicking.

like i get if you shovel a block of color x, then all neighboring blocks of color x will disappear. this will recur until there are no more blocks of color x touching affected blocks.

but maybe i'm not getting how the branched-out block fall exactly. some seem to fall a bit, some seem to fall all the way? not sure what's going on there.

i feel like i want to like this game, but...it doesn't seem challenging? i don't know. i guess i haven't seen it get intense or confusing or something yet. tell me what i'm supposed to be appreciating here.

The level 1 difficulty for the stages is basically a tutorial. It gets much tougher afterwards at least for my dumb brain.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Len posted:

BUT IT'S SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE

glad people are getting to play the game and not lose out :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vikar Jerome posted:

glad people are getting to play the game and not lose out :)

I mean it's digital so it's not like there was ever a lose out point, presumably they have another way for people to get these after March but this is Nintendo and you still can't legally get Four Swords on the 3ds so :iiam:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dr Pepper posted:

To make things short, their games struggle to sell in Japan but sell very well in the West, especially on the Switch.

It's something that has been gradually happening. These niche Japanese RPGs have been selling less and less in Japan but more and more in North America and Europe.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
After watching the DF Retro take on Super Mario 3D All-Stars, I'm pretty pumped for its release tomorrow.

The last time I seriously played Super Mario 64 was the DS version 15 years ago, so I'm ready to give that one another go. Sure the PC homebrew port is technically superior which John all but says in the DF video, but I like that NERD actually focused on cleaning up the text and UI elements since those have been the sore point for me on all the up-ressed emulated/homebrew versions. It really looks fantastic now.

Although I've long owned Sunshine I've never completed it. It's the most flawed of the 3D Marios, but overall I think it's a good game. Part of my issue with it is that with the busy levels and backgrounds it's hard to see where you're going or need to go in the GameCube version and it looks much, much cleaner on the Switch.

Galaxy is the 3D Mario I'm probably least interested in revisiting right now as I've beaten it "recently" (ten years ago?) and I have yet to get into Galaxy 2. Still, by the time I get to it in All-Stars I'm sure they'll have done something for a port of Galaxy 2 and then I can knock them out back-to-back.

Now, sure, I can play these in Dolphin including Galaxy 2, and I even went to the trouble early this year dig up my GC/Wii disc dumps and get Dolphin working on my PC. But that just doesn't have the same charm as playing them on my Nintendo® Switch™.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TheScott2K posted:

Meanwhile I'm stuck at

They never even gave me an estimate or told me it was going to be shipped yet.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, since I have never once seen Amazon Canada deliver a game on release day.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Mister Facetious posted:

They never even gave me an estimate or told me it was going to be shipped yet.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, since I have never once seen Amazon Canada deliver a game on release day.

Living close to Mississauga helps alot but currently mine isnt shipped either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

punk rebel ecks posted:

To make things short, their games struggle to sell in Japan but sell very well in the West, especially on the Switch.

It's something that has been gradually happening. These niche Japanese RPGs have been selling less and less in Japan but more and more in North America and Europe.

Soon, the west will be the sole home of anime

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

dr.acula posted:

Living close to Mississauga helps alot but currently mine isnt shipped either.

Yeah, typically shipping times are really drat good here. It's just for whatever reason they don't do release day with games. :sigh:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

would routing my router through a vpn a few timezones ahead change anything re mario all stars unlocking

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

would routing my router through a vpn a few timezones ahead change anything re mario all stars unlocking

That only works if they use a rolling release (e.g., midnight in every time zone). If Nintendo does the release at a single time (typical for them), then you're SoL.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8x5xLHRho

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The White Dragon posted:

i've been stuck on chapter 3 in disgaea 5 for like a month

... because im grinding item world to artificially progress :unsmigghh: im up to seeing Exodus equipped on enemies now

Hey, man, if you get farther you'll speed up your artificial progress exponentially!

...I admit, I don't remember anything in specific, but you'll definitely unlock more means of progression.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I put in like around 65 hours into Disgaea 5 and got burnt out grinding. I don't think I'm playing Disgaea games "right". I love playing these games but especially with the new iterations I get overwhelmed by the possibilities they give you and am never actually sure what I'm supposed to do to get what I want. To me, getting max level and reincarnating multiple times to max out stats seems like a massive time sink that I'll never accomplish, on top of grossly over-leveling items. Like, yeah, the campaign isn't that hard, but additional content just seems overwhelming to me. I'm afraid that's what'll happen if I get 6. Is it just me not spending enough time learning the possibilities?

Hitting maximum level and reincarnating eventually becomes relatively trivial, so it doesn't end up as a massive time sink. It's perfectly fine if that's not your bag - progression is mostly a series of goals wrapped in goals wrapped in goals - but on my current endgame save file, creating a character and getting them to level 9999 takes in the order of a couple dozen minutes, and I have no idea how efficient I'm being.For me, discovery and refinement is part of the fun.

But all that is secondary - if one wanted to just play through the story and stop, that's a perfectly acceptable decision.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

That only works if they use a rolling release (e.g., midnight in every time zone). If Nintendo does the release at a single time (typical for them), then you're SoL.

ok yeah i guess i was asking if they do a rolling release

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

[/quot

[quote="Super No Vacancy" post="508165818"]

If you were asking if you can fool it by changing the clock offline, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kyrosiris posted:

Because until Disgaea 6, the level cap was 9999 (per reincarnation, anyways).

This is a four order of magnitude ramping up of the Sheer Number Absurdity that is Disgaea and it has me :stoked:.

I doubt the damage is only going to hit the quadrillions too considering you could hit the trillions in prior games (using geo panel effect shenanigans).

The White Dragon posted:

i've been stuck on chapter 3 in disgaea 5 for like a month

... because im grinding item world to artificially progress :unsmigghh: im up to seeing Exodus equipped on enemies now

And once you unlock the land of carnage in the post game, which means being able to go after carnage versions of items as well you get to do it again.:v:

The D6 announcement has be tempted to fire up 5 since I think I quit before dealing with the true final postgame fight. I think I took a couple of units to the stat cap but never finished farming up gear to then max out in the IW.

Once you get to the point that you're working on character stats in the post game you'll want to learn how to do this video's layout for fast farming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oVDSh_5c7A

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

John Lee posted:

Hitting maximum level and reincarnating eventually becomes relatively trivial, so it doesn't end up as a massive time sink. It's perfectly fine if that's not your bag - progression is mostly a series of goals wrapped in goals wrapped in goals - but on my current endgame save file, creating a character and getting them to level 9999 takes in the order of a couple dozen minutes, and I have no idea how efficient I'm being.For me, discovery and refinement is part of the fun.

But all that is secondary - if one wanted to just play through the story and stop, that's a perfectly acceptable decision.
I love the idea of having super overpowered characters that can one-shot a whole level, and want to try beating endgame stuff. But I just get burnt out and feel like it's such a slog, or I get overwhelmed because d5 had so many extra things you could do.

I guess its more the feeling of wanting to do it but quitting that make me feel disappointed. The d5 campaign was dumb and forgettable to me.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ragequit posted:

Supergiant can do no wrong in my book, so you should absolutely pick up HADES if the genre or developer appeals to you.

I have some interest in the genre and some interest in the developer but I'm on the fence about this game based on what I've seen thus far.

I like me some proper roguelikes, though I generally prefer the turn-based variety. I totally dug Isaac, which I didn't feel was too hectic and the interactions between upgrades is top notch, but I never really clicked with Gungeon, which I felt was a little more action-oriented and while there were neat or amusing guns I never felt compelled to keep exploring.

What are the main reasons people keep playing this game? Discovery of plot, mastery of combat, numbers-go-up, discovery of items, the potential of OP combinations, etc?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I was worried we wouldn't get another Disgaea. I'm so pumped. I wish they'd make more SRPGs like they used to.

Need them to stay in business at least until Labyrinth of Refrain 2 comes out for Switch. But ideally a good while after that -- I like their style.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So i got a few stars in Super Mario 64 and the game is as entrancing as ever. The fonts and textures look really clean (as good as you'd probably get on a PC emulator) and the music and controls are as you'd hope. The camera thing is a little weird but the Mario 64 camera never bothered me. SM64 is one of my favorite games but I've never played Sunshine or Galaxy.

3:4 ratio sucks, it's true, but the boundaries get tuned out as soon as you get into the first course.

It rocks to finally play SM64 on Switch. I hope these digital purchases stick around for the next console because I don't really want to wait like 4 years to play SM64 on the Switch 2.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Anybody got any tips for Tetris 99? I only do well when I luck into KOing somebody who already has good equipment. Other than that I have a tough time. I’m decent at Tetris; it’s just the battle royale side of things where I feel lost.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I’m sort of in the on the fence boat about Hades as well. I absolutely loved Isaac, and now I am a huge Dead Cells fan. But there’s something about Hades that looks off to me. What about it makes it so amazing? Will I love this game?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The only rogue-like they've played is Crypt of the Necrodancer and I never made it past the second floor. I just couldn't nail the rhyme movement, so I've stayed away from other rogue-likes.

Decided to give Hades a shot because Supergiant has nailed every game they've made and goons...

It's good. It's really good. I've spent 3 hours playing and I'm loving it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My main problem with roguelikes/roguelites in general is that failing a run is generally a total waste of time with maybe some marginal character progress. In Hades, you're constantly making character progress and all you lose when you fail a run is the gold currency for that run and whatever boons you picked up. The gameplay loop is more like randomized farming runs of an ARPG than a typical permadeath roguelike.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Every room gives you a reward of some sort, like a max health upgrade, a stop at the shop, a boon from a god that modifies an attack, etc. And you can see before choosing which room to enter what kind of reward it'll have, which can provide that extra bit of motivation to keep going so that you can get it (hammers are especially tempting since they can radically alter your chosen weapon, like the exploding spears I mentioned above). So you're constantly getting more stuff that'll help you survive the dungeon, even as it gets more challenging.

Beyond an individual run, there's always some new bit of dialogue or unlocked thing to check out back at base, not to mention the opportunity to use the stuff you've collected to further upgrade things. You don't lose any currencies meant for permanent upgrades after dying, so even the worst of runs might give you the last key you need to unlock a new weapon, or some nectar to help build your relationship with one of the other characters.

All of that is, of course, on top of the very tight combat, which never feels unfair and can vary wildly based on the weapon and upgrades you have. At one point I could hold down a button to infinitely spam quick jabs with my spear, and each hit would generate balls of lightning that would chain to nearby enemies. If I grouped together a few enemies after breaking their armor, I could stunlock the lot of them just by sitting in one place and holding down the attack button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

I have some interest in the genre and some interest in the developer but I'm on the fence about this game based on what I've seen thus far.

I like me some proper roguelikes, though I generally prefer the turn-based variety. I totally dug Isaac, which I didn't feel was too hectic and the interactions between upgrades is top notch, but I never really clicked with Gungeon, which I felt was a little more action-oriented and while there were neat or amusing guns I never felt compelled to keep exploring.

What are the main reasons people keep playing this game? Discovery of plot, mastery of combat, numbers-go-up, discovery of items, the potential of OP combinations, etc?

yes, yes, yes, yes, and *mettaton-ishly* ohhhhhhhh yes

the main draw of Hades is that you get powerups from the gods of Olympus, and every conceivable combination of skills, weapons, and circumstances have unique reaction lines from the gods upon meeting them. there have to be well over 1000 bits of unique interaction by now, and that's not including the regular chats you have with other characters in the hub, the development of their relationships as you build up their affection meters (there are gift items that advance it, and advance the tone of their dialogue/unlock unique prizes), the way bosses react to your loadouts or how many times you've died to them or beaten them, and so on

it also has the sort of bonkers item combos you'd see in isaac/gungeon but the way the game parcels out powerups means that you're unlikely to get screwed over the way you sometimes would in those games, the powerups snowball and combine (sometimes literally) in a way that usually guarantees you're going to get something lethal by the end

factor in supergiant's usual top-notch sound and graphics design and Hades might be the single best roguelite in the entire genre. i've been in their corner from the beginning and it's been great to watch this game evolve. they even made early access somehow not be obnoxious!