Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Alright the AQI’s a bit below 300 and we’ve got flash flood warnings and this is striking me as good news. Maybe I’ll get to open my windows. It has been nine days since I have been able to do that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wait what the hell was happening in the Mediterranean sea in 1996?

in particular early October. Usually years between, then suddenly two within a few days of each other.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

dr_rat posted:

in particular early October. Usually years between, then suddenly two within a few days of each other.

somebody forgot to thank the gods before heading home from work

pisses off poseidon something fierce

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

I never see the timescale on these. Is that if I'm outside for 10 minutes? An hour? A day?

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Quote is not edit.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Each set of cigarettes you smoke gives you 1 minute of safety outside.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

taqueso posted:

I feel like this is/should be a mechanic in some post apocalyptic video game

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao

I only go outside to smoke cigarettes and only inhale filtered air while taking a drag, only pure tobacco smoke for me thanks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dr_rat posted:

Punishment for cloning that sheep

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

papersack posted:

I never see the timescale on these. Is that if I'm outside for 10 minutes? An hour? A day?

I'm curious about this too. Told somebody yesterday the air was like smoking 32 cigarettes here in Eugene but I don't know if that was if you spent an hour outside, the whole day, something else?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

taqueso posted:

Does the wildfire smoke provide the same protection from COVID as cigarettes or should I light up just to be sure?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think it stacks but haven't tested

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Vox Nihili posted:

Does the wildfire smoke provide the same protection from COVID as cigarettes or should I light up just to be sure?

wildfire smoke makes you way more susceptible to COVID according to npr this morning

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cigarettes per day? Per hour? What does it mean?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

err posted:

only per week, but into your urethra

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

err posted:

its a per day thing afaik

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The amount of particulate in the air is comparable to the amount of particulate that would be produced by burning that many cigarettes.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

wildfire smoke makes you way more susceptible to COVID according to npr this morning

drat the endgame mechanics on the 2020 dlc are really well thought-out

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shifty Nipples posted:

The amount of particulate in the air is comparable to the amount of particulate that would be produced by burning that many cigarettes.

Yet isn't it a flawed comparison simply because cigarette particulate is 'tar,' while wildfire particulate tends to turn to something resembling *cement* inside the lungs? Or is that just volcanic ash that does that?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yet isn't it a flawed comparison simply because cigarette particulate is 'tar,' while wildfire particulate tends to turn to something resembling *cement* inside the lungs? Or is that just volcanic ash that does that?

P sure you're thinking of volcanic ash which turns to concrete in your lungs but *glass* in jet engines and has downed jets by clogging their engines up with what amounts to spun glass in the turbine.

E: iirc a British jet flew through an ash plume off indonesia some time back and the resulting "this is your captain speaking" announcement was presumably some extraordinarily british poo poo.

FAUXTON has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Sep 18, 2020

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

E: iirc a British jet flew through an ash plume off indonesia some time back and the resulting "this is your captain speaking" announcement was presumably some extraordinarily british poo poo.

Correct. It was British Airways flight 9:

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, I remember reading about that. The friction of the ash against the windows also caused a pretty decent instance of St. Elmo's Fire.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

You skipped the best most British part

quote:

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress.

also lol:

"Moody described [landing on instruments] as "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse.""

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ahh yes, bit of a sticky wicket losing all four engines there

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

You skipped the best most British part

also lol:

"Moody described [landing on instruments] as "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse.""

I genuinely love an understated freakout. There’s a good chance you’re going to die either way, I say die smug.

It finally rained in Portland. The rain brought with it, without any memorable runner up, the single gnarliest thunderstorm I’ve seen in this part of the state. I’m talking “it looks sort of like daylight for one to two entire seconds” levels of lightning flashes in some cases, they were in every direction at one point or another. We’d get summer storms like that in southern Oregon sometimes, and they were more common out east by Prineville if I remember right, but I haven’t seen one like that up here before. I’m betting there will be some fun new fires in the morning, but it’s supposed to rain off and on for the next day and hopefully that will help a little. Looking forward to opening my windows some day, but it was at least nice to go outside and breathe slightly disrupted smoke and tempt Zeus by drinking from metal cans. I’m surprised I wasn’t beaten with huge hailstones, that’s like the signature move with those summer storms in other parts of the state.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

i’ve been in a few willamette valley thunderstorms. they’ve occurred when the winds are backwards and a storm system with energy rotates down the western slope of the cascades. the cold ocean is the storm killer. looks like this system came from the south.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

mitztronic posted:

I feel like this is/should be a mechanic in some post apocalyptic video game

Screamers had this. If a radiation warning went off, you lit a red cigarette which was supposed to protect you.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

congrats guys, we did it

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1306969447052308481?s=21

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
It’s been a while since I was in kindergarten, but I’m relatively sure the alphabet doesn’t end at ‘W’.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hibajubwa posted:

It’s been a while since I was in kindergarten, but I’m relatively sure the alphabet doesn’t end at ‘W’.

You try and come up with a long list of names starting with X, Y or Z

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
how is Xerxes not an option every single year? that's about as badass as it gets

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i just want to see a map with hurricanes xena, yolo, and zoidberg

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

how is Xerxes not an option every single year? that's about as badass as it gets

Because you'd have to retire it after the first year and then come up with more names starting with X. Xena would be one more but the "normal" hurricane name list has 6 years worth of names in rotation. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
what are they going to do when we run out of Greek alphabet

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'll learn to read eventually

feller
Jul 5, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

what are they going to do when we run out of Greek alphabet

klingon

Dustcat