Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Legit good tape

Instinctively I thought food and snacks on the bar tape would be a big distraction in the latter half of the ride, but perhaps it has a motivating factor like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i'd take a coffee+weed themed tape

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhoDYfVQDs

This guy hit one of the tram rails on a previous ride down this road and ended up in the hospital, I won't touch that hill.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhoDYfVQDs

This guy hit one of the tram rails on a previous ride down this road and ended up in the hospital, I won't touch that hill.

Better hold your line, or die.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Have to thank you big time for the recommendation. My marley frame came in today (it shipped from the UK on Monday, blown away at how fast delivery was). This frame is so light I didn't think anything was in the box.
Nice. The Scout is 200g lighter, but for $100 more. 2g / $1 is hard to justify. Which color did you get?

quote:

Hoping the 120mm fork doesn't goof up the geometry too much as I really don't want to have to replace it just yet.

This is comparing a 130mm fork to a 115, plugging in the medium Marley frame numbers:

You're only losing half a degree of head tube angle, and the BB is dropping 4mm.
Keep in mind you're probably picking up 5mm or so going from a 2.4" tire to your 2.8".
I'm surprised the reach is growing as much as it shows there, but 6mm is still less than your usual stem length increments.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This might be a long shot, but Search is failing me.

I saw there was a bar comparison tool posted here some time ago.

It was a series of bar selections on the left, then graph paper on the right.

You selected a bar and it dropped an overlay of the basic shape into the graph paper. You could select multiple and compare their shapes.

Does anyone have a clue/a link? Am I crazy? Did 2020 finally break me?

HA! nevermind: https://whatbars.com/

gently caress you google, long live Duckduckgo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This might be a long shot, but Search is failing me.

I saw there was a bar comparison tool posted here some time ago.

It was a series of bar selections on the left, then graph paper on the right.

You selected a bar and it dropped an overlay of the basic shape into the graph paper. You could select multiple and compare their shapes.

Does anyone have a clue/a link? Am I crazy? Did 2020 finally break me?

https://whatbars.com/

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

All of the bar tape options on PDWs site are amazing. I mean, tacos!

Chinatown posted:

i'd take a coffee+weed themed tape

Also, this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
PDW has a coffee themed tape and state bike has a weed one.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

just wrap your bars with weed and coffee.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

e.pilot posted:

We need to donate some coffee tape to whoever it is that has the "caffeine is the force by which I set my wheels in motion" avatar

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

Weed/coffee harlequin wrap??

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My day off just so happens to be the coldest day of the week.

:sigh:

Time to HTFU and go ride anyway.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

thank you!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Nice. The Scout is 200g lighter, but for $100 more. 2g / $1 is hard to justify. Which color did you get?

I was thinking yellow at first but the red really pressed all the buttons.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Last night as I was riding through Balboa Park (San Diego's central park) I passed an old guy on a penny farthing cycle with lights. That ruled.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Denver used to have a penny farthing guy I would see all the time, but haven't run into him in ages. He was getting up there in years and hope he's ok

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Last night as I was riding through Balboa Park (San Diego's central park) I passed an old guy on a penny farthing cycle with lights. That ruled.

There's a dude in his 60s-70s who rides a mountain unicycle in SF, i've run into him a few times in Golden Gate Park.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

My day off just so happens to be the coldest day of the week.

:sigh:

Time to HTFU and go ride anyway.

Self quoting for an important PSA. Never skip rides. Just stopped for a radler and a smokey in the middle of my little day trip and it is downright gorgeous. There's no way in hell its only 12c and the sun is so bright and warm.

Good day for bikes.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

spf3million posted:

Weed/coffee harlequin wrap??

:sickos:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

DeesGrandpa posted:

Denver used to have a penny farthing guy I would see all the time, but haven't run into him in ages. He was getting up there in years and hope he's ok

I used to commute on the same route as him up to Sunnyside. Extremely nice fella. He did the Denver Century Ride on it wearing a tuxedo jersey. There’s another guy I’ve seen a few times on the path, but it’s been a long time :smith:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Am I remembering right that someone here has experimented with short cranks? Was it kimbo? I'm considering trying out 165 or even 160mm cranks. I'm thinking it would help to reduce knee strain, improve breathing by minimizing knee to chest contact (assuming an aggressive geometry), and also side benefit of making a bike that is slightly too tall for me look/fit a little better by effectively shortening the seat tube.

I'm reading that people who switch like having slightly higher gearing so they can maintain the same cadence. Any other qualitative experience/feedback?

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Self quoting for an important PSA. Never skip rides. Just stopped for a radler and a smokey in the middle of my little day trip and it is downright gorgeous. There's no way in hell its only 12c and the sun is so bright and warm.

Good day for bikes.

I've found that if I eat breakfast my rides suck.

Don't skip rides. Just skip breakfast.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spf3million posted:

Am I remembering right that someone here has experimented with short cranks? Was it kimbo? I'm considering trying out 165 or even 160mm cranks. I'm thinking it would help to reduce knee strain, improve breathing by minimizing knee to chest contact (assuming an aggressive geometry), and also side benefit of making a bike that is slightly too tall for me look/fit a little better by effectively shortening the seat tube.

I now run 165 when I can, yes. The experiment is if I ever install these 150mm child cranks I have.
You notice the reduced angle range on the knee right away.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

spf3million posted:

I'm reading that people who switch like having slightly higher gearing so they can maintain the same cadence. Any other qualitative experience/feedback?

I don't think the gearing thing makes any sense. If you maintain the same cadence you don't need different gearing.

If anything, folks who run shorter cranks tend to find it easier to maintain a higher cadence, so you might want slightly easier gearing? But really I think it's unrelated.

I run 165 cranks, so not super short but normal short. I prefer them a lot, especially every time I get on my tandem which is stuck with 175s. Very noticable.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Depends on the person, but I'm with you. If I eat anything more than a very light breakfast my rides suck. Except coffee. All the coffee.

Other folks I ride with, including my spouse, are the complete opposite.

Applies to life in general, too, not just biking.

Apr 7, 2003

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.

Apr 7, 2003

Guinness posted:

Depends on the person, but I'm with you. If I eat anything more than a very light breakfast my rides suck. Except coffee. All the coffee.

Other folks I ride with, including my spouse, are the complete opposite.

Applies to life in general, too, not just biking.

My best rides, for real, are just eating a bunch of carb trash before going to bed, waking up at the last minute, and riding without the benefit of coffee or anything else.

I had a fantastic ~55m ride this past saturday with like zero ride prep, just eating pasta before I went to bed and waking up and saying, "gently caress it, let's go"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.

I think supacaz has to be stretched a lot and probably don’t do a figure 8 or anything

Apr 7, 2003

Levitate posted:

I think supacaz has to be stretched a lot and probably don’t do a figure 8 or anything

Aren't figure 8s necessary for clearing the brifters?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kimbo305 posted:

I now run 165 when I can, yes. The experiment is if I ever install these 150mm child cranks I have.
You notice the reduced angle range on the knee right away.

bicievino posted:

I don't think the gearing thing makes any sense. If you maintain the same cadence you don't need different gearing.

If anything, folks who run shorter cranks tend to find it easier to maintain a higher cadence, so you might want slightly easier gearing? But really I think it's unrelated.

I run 165 cranks, so not super short but normal short. I prefer them a lot, especially every time I get on my tandem which is stuck with 175s. Very noticable.
Yeah I haven't quite wrapped my mind around the cadence/gearing relationship yet either. Either way, it sounds interesting and something I'll likely pursue on my next build.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of my next build

:getin:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How about any white bar tape that resists dirt the best?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

What I had to skip was my gas station sandwich because the only thing they had left was the package that has two cheeseburgers that I was just warned about by another rider I know. He just so happened to be filming a Youtube vid he's going to post if his talks with Manitoba Parks goes well and they make official the 'secret trails' he and a lot of others have been building on the east side of Birds Hill park. Parks is apparently VERY receptive to the idea because if the trails are made official they at least have control.

And it's not like they're a secret anymore because those trails light up like a Christmas tree on the Strava heatmap.

So at the 100km mark I got a radler and a package that has a big arse piece of cheese and a pepperette and ate it while riding home in the starlight.

134km, a bunch of road, gravel, MUP, and single track. Such a good day for bikes.

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

What I had to skip was my gas station sandwich because the only thing they had left was the package that has two cheeseburgers that I was just warned about by another rider I know. He just so happened to be filming a Youtube vid he's going to post if his talks with Manitoba Parks goes well and they make the 'secret trails' he and a lot of others have been building on the east side of Birds Hill park. Parks is apparently VERY receptive to the idea because if the trails are made official they at least have control.

And it's not like they're a secret anymore because those trails light up like a Christmas tree on the Strava heatmap.

So at the 100km mark I got a radler and a package that has a big arse piece of cheese and a pepperette and ate it while riding home in the starlight.

134km, a bunch of road, gravel, MUP, and single track. Such a good day for bikes.

Bizarrely enough, if I eat a lot of trash before a ride I'm done

If I eat gas station trash during a ride, it works out.

Probably mental.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PdL7BPEd-o

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

nwin posted:

How about any white bar tape that resists dirt the best?

I have no experience with white bar tape, but this seems like a tall order. Maybe my hands are just always dirty.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
How the hell did I PR a mountain bike course on my gravel bike after doing 80km of road and single track?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

How the hell did I PR a mountain bike course on my gravel bike after doing 80km of road and single track?

Typically you get a PR by going faster, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apparently being starving and really wanting to finish my lap so I could go grab a lovely sandwich and a beer is a great motivator.