Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I can't believe how well the 2016 SE runs on iOS14. It feels as responsive as ever, and none of the new stuff feels crowded on the small screen. Can't speak for battery life but it doesn't appear to be any lower.

In fact, it's kinda ruined my plans to buy the iPhone 12. This ol' phone works far too well to justify an upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Anyone else having battery issues since updating? Health has used 50% of my battery in the last day despite 3 minutes of screen time. My phone just dropped from 29% to 17% in a matter of minutes. This is a year old 11 Pro with no prior issues. Maybe something to do with my watch or the new sleep tracking?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

illcendiary posted:

Anyone else having battery issues since updating? Health has used 50% of my battery in the last day despite 3 minutes of screen time. My phone just dropped from 29% to 17% in a matter of minutes. This is a year old 11 Pro with no prior issues. Maybe something to do with my watch or the new sleep tracking?

My battery drain has been crazy since beta 5, 11 pro max.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Horace posted:

I can't believe how well the 2016 SE runs on iOS14. It feels as responsive as ever, and none of the new stuff feels crowded on the small screen. Can't speak for battery life but it doesn't appear to be any lower.

In fact, it's kinda ruined my plans to buy the iPhone 12. This ol' phone works far too well to justify an upgrade.

Yeah it works great for me too. I don’t plan on buying a new phone anytime soon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
is the app drawer really that big of a deal? ever since we got folders I’ve never needed more than one screen of apps on any iOS device

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mediaphage posted:

is the app drawer really that big of a deal? ever since we got folders I’ve never needed more than one screen of apps on any iOS device

I like it because you can delete the icon and let the OS auto categorize stuff. Janitoring folders always sucked.

So now I just have one page of stuff that I use several times a day, and everything else is on that other page.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Finally got my iOS 14 home screen set up the way I like it. Apple needs to let go of the app's tendency to flow back up to the top leftmost spot of the first screen, it makes trying to place poo poo exactly where you want it on the home screen feel like an infinitely more tedious chore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

xzzy posted:

I like it because you can delete the icon and let the OS auto categorize stuff. Janitoring folders always sucked.

So now I just have one page of stuff that I use several times a day, and everything else is on that other page.

I guess that’s fair although lol @ calling this janitoring. It’s not like I’m command line arranging icons on a phone.

Also tbh 2 pages is still too annoying to me, but normal people don’t care. I mean I don’t think I can possibly give less of a poo poo about widgets but they seem super popular.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Finally got my iOS 14 home screen set up the way I like it. Apple needs to let go of the app's tendency to flow back up to the top leftmost spot of the first screen, it makes trying to place poo poo exactly where you want it on the home screen feel like an infinitely more tedious chore.

i was kind of disappointed that we still can't just freely position apps anywhere we like on the grid. i guess there was no explicit indication that that would be possible but i kind of figured with all the new widget poo poo that they would offer a little more flexibility in arrangement

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Weedle posted:

i was kind of disappointed that we still can't just freely position apps anywhere we like on the grid. i guess there was no explicit indication that that would be possible but i kind of figured with all the new widget poo poo that they would offer a little more flexibility in arrangement

Yeah, I wanted to have my home screen so that I have the big weather widget on the leftmost home screen, and the rightmost home screen would be more apps (+ the 4x2 grid of Siri Suggestions and the 2x2 smart stack), then one more swipe to the right gives you the App Library.

I had to fill stuff under the weather widget on the leftmost screen to get iOS to stop shoving stuff back onto the leftmost screen, and the positioning of widgets and apps on the 2nd screen kept flipping around whenever that happened. But, it's more or less how I wanted it now, so at least there's that.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
One thing I did notice is that you have to open apps once they’ve updated for their Widget options to be shown in Smart Stack. Kinda weird I think. Maybe I’m wrong but I opened Scanner Pro for the first time in a few weeks and went through a splash screen explaining their iOS 14 updates, and now it’s a Smart Stack option.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, I think it's a technical limitation unfortunately, the apps probably can't tell the OS they have a widget until they're properly opened for the first time or something.

Holding out for a Dark Sky widget but I don't know how active development on that has been since Apple picked it up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, I think it's a technical limitation unfortunately, the apps probably can't tell the OS they have a widget until they're properly opened for the first time or something.

Holding out for a Dark Sky widget but I don't know how active development on that has been since Apple picked it up.

the last dark sky update came out the day they announced the acquisition and it hasn't been touched since. that poo poo is dead

Weedle
May 31, 2006

feel like ios is low-key shading me for being an idiot by creating an "education" category and then only putting the app my kid uses to watch sesame street in there. i mean, it's not wrong. but it hurts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Or long press it and tap “edit stack”.

There's nothing I can see here to add a new widget.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My widgets are goofed up, I assume this isn't happening to others.

The Apple app widgets at the top appear ok, but then I have this. There's more empty grey boxes too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

There's nothing I can see here to add a new widget.

You can only delete things from the stack, not add. Seems like a serious oversight. you have to add a brand new stack to have "everything."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

You can only delete things from the stack, not add. Seems like a serious oversight. you have to add a brand new stack to have "everything."
Well, as I mentioned above, you can drag a new widget onto the stack and it will add it. But yes, it is really dumb that you can't add from within the stack, which is what I was asking about.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Endless Mike posted:

Well, as I mentioned above, you can drag a new widget onto the stack and it will add it. But yes, it is really dumb that you can't add from within the stack, which is what I was asking about.

Ah, missed that post. Still, seems like there's a lot about iOS 14 to be "discovered" that isn't explicitly laid out. Seems like a small tutorial on the new features or something wouldn't be a bad idea.

Maybe there was and I missed it since I went from PB to release.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So is there a reason that I’m not allowed to put widgets on the bottom half of my home screen? This is as low as they will let me put it.

Widgets in general are a loving mess; there is zero consistency with anything (the options available to me change/disappear each time I access the “+” menu to add widgets).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I have a widget in the bottom two rows of my home screen, so it’s definitely possible. Might be related to not having a full screen and the 2 row widgets wanting to align on full 2 row boundaries?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Yep, I added one more app to the home screen and now it allows me to put the widget at the bottom....but it looks like poo poo now. This is beyond dumb.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Kalman posted:

I have a widget in the bottom two rows of my home screen, so it’s definitely possible. Might be related to not having a full screen and the 2 row widgets wanting to align on full 2 row boundaries?

wow that's totally what it is. lmao. if you don't have a fourth row of icons you can't move a widget to the bottom third of the screen. christ!!!! just let us move things around already!!!! jesus!!!!!!!!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or let us build the layout from the bottom upwards, suddenly no one cares anymore.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don’t fancy opening up every app on my phone or iPad to work out which ones do and don’t have new widgets. Anyone discovered good widgets from any of the generally popular apps that most people have?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On the Today View screen is it impossible to put the Apple widgets below normal app widgets?

I want the batteries widget but I don’t want it pushing the other stuff down to where I have to scroll to see it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Snowy posted:

On the Today View screen is it impossible to put the Apple widgets below normal app widgets?

I want the batteries widget but I don’t want it pushing the other stuff down to where I have to scroll to see it

if an app hasn't updated its widgets for ios 14 they get relegated to the customize zone. you can arrange third-party and apple widgets among each other freely as long as the third-party widgets have been updated

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Weedle posted:

if an app hasn't updated its widgets for ios 14 they get relegated to the customize zone. you can arrange third-party and apple widgets among each other freely as long as the third-party widgets have been updated

Ahhh ok thanks

And, gently caress

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh huh, it's seriously loving with the battery in an unexpected way.

Maybe this'll fix my problems.

On charger it has gone from 99% to 95% repeatedly and kept charging.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I need to watch videos on the new home screen features. My phone is just the same as it was for the past decade. Maybe it's time to spice things uP!!!!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Picture in Picture rules, now I don’t have to pay attention to anyone while FaceTiming.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the point of using the YouTube app over just using Safari? Safari Youtube lets me do picture in picture and doesn't hijack YouTube links.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the point of using the YouTube app over just using Safari? Safari Youtube lets me do picture in picture and doesn't hijack YouTube links.

Better quality? Can the browser version display 60fps?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not sure on framerate but videos outside the app cap at 720p. Which is probably good enough but if you want ALL the pixels you gotta use the app.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

Google getting more of your data, and slightly higher video quality

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Do third-party YouTube apps regularly have the APIs suddenly change on them and break?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do third-party YouTube apps regularly have the APIs suddenly change on them and break?

The youtube stuff at least has been stable for a few years now. It has happened in the past though.

Most everything else requires an API key to do anything with, and they throttle queries pretty aggressively unless you pay up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Music widget still not updating; still showing already out of date tracks I haven't played in days.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Anyone getting weird Apple Music issues? Songs not playing or starting then stopping, happening on WiFi and cellular after hard reboots and resetting network settings :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Inner Light posted:

Anyone getting weird Apple Music issues? Songs not playing or starting then stopping, happening on WiFi and cellular after hard reboots and resetting network settings :confused:

Yes, it’s driving me insane. Both on my phone and iPad that I updated on day one like a dummy.

On my iPad half the time songs just spin for a few seconds and don’t start. On my iPhone XS I get a generic popup that says “cancelled”.

If I click on a song like six times in a row it will usually start eventually.

On my iPhone8 that I relegated to just motorcycle use, which is still running 13, everything is fine.