Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BadSamaritan posted:

Also maybe a dumb question, but how do parents that primarily cosleep deal with their baby having an earlier bedtime? I feel like one whole benefit of the bassinet/crib is that you have them in a safe place with a monitor so you can have time where you exist separately from the kid.

femcastra posted:

I too wonder how long term cosleeping works with different bedtimes.

We co-slept every night for over a year, mostly together in the same king-sized bed (lots of room to sleep with separate blankets and make a big zone for baby in the middle) but often during the first several months I would take her into the guest bedroom so Mom could get more sleep.

Looking back I want to say that it was mostly fine, although there were several instances of frustrated crying breakdowns that at the time I attributed to night waking and lack of sleep. But in the rosy afterglow of impaired memory formation, I want to say it was pretty nice overall.

Regarding bedtime specifically, my wife was always the one to go to bed early with the kid. Even before pregnancy she was an early sleeper, and being a tired new parent only made that easier. She is also an introvert and normally spends her evenings reading an ebook anyway, so it wasn't too different for her to do it in bed. I would either join her, stay up to do my own thing, or go shopping at the 24-hour grocery.

Now that the kid has her own distinct bedtime not a lot has changed. My wife still often goes to bed within an hour of putting her down and I still do most of our shopping at night. The big difference is that sometimes we decide to watch TV or prepare food together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Is it worth buying a bassinet if it will only be used for 2 months? I’m also considering a Finnish baby box instead. It seems weird to think about sticking a baby in a glorified cardboard box though.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
If you're in the US, you can do the "courses" at https://www.babyboxco.com/ and they'll send you a baby box bassinet. I think it came with some random samples, but we still use the box even 2 years later as a toy box for the mountain of Frozen dolls and their accessories my 6 year old owns.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

1up posted:

If you're in the US, you can do the "courses" at https://www.babyboxco.com/ and they'll send you a baby box bassinet. I think it came with some random samples, but we still use the box even 2 years later as a toy box for the mountain of Frozen dolls and their accessories my 6 year old owns.

That looks promising! It looks like they are not offering boxes at this time, but I’ll keep an eye out.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
We plopped the kid in the crib day one. I had a twin bed in the nursery for me to sleep on. It went ok, but results may vary.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I bought a used Arms Reach Cosleeper off fb and we both really liked it. A little easier to set her inside at the noodle neck phase, but I’m short. We liked having the baby in our room at the beginning but there’s no way the crib was fitting in there.

Also tbh they look too tiny in the crib at first.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Oh my gosh, there are so many options! I like the idea of the baby box because it’s portable. I married a mama’s boy so we’re going to be spending some nights at the in-laws and I can just pick that up and go.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

remigious posted:

Oh my gosh, there are so many options! I like the idea of the baby box because it’s portable. I married a mama’s boy so we’re going to be spending some nights at the in-laws and I can just pick that up and go.

We kept a pack n play at my folks' place (I'm a momma's girl) so we didn't have to worry about hauling something back and forth for visits.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

marchantia posted:

We kept a pack n play at my folks' place (I'm a momma's girl) so we didn't have to worry about hauling something back and forth for visits.

Yeah this is the way to do it. Soooo much easier.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

BadSamaritan posted:

I bought a used Arms Reach Cosleeper off fb and we both really liked it. A little easier to set her inside at the noodle neck phase, but I’m short. We liked having the baby in our room at the beginning but there’s no way the crib was fitting in there.

Also tbh they look too tiny in the crib at first.

This is the bassinet we’re using too, it’s fantastic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

marchantia posted:

Well, yes and no.

Atlantic Article Link

This is potentially behind a paywall so I'll quote the relevant text. SUID stands for sudden unexplained infant death.

:words:

I am not a parent (yet) but I also read this article along with a couple other supporting documents, my take-away from all this (pure speculation) was that SIDS happens disproportionately in economically disadvantaged communities.

Further pure speculation, I can certainly see a situation where father/mother's boyfriend has baby joey on the couch, he is 19, has been playing madden 2021 for 16 hours straight smoking some bowls while mom is out waiting tables at Applebee's on a double shift, knows she is coming home soon so gets started on that handle of vodka in the freezer from last weekend's party, and passes out on the couch/baby. Mom decides to stay late to help cleanup from a double 21st birthday party at applebees and comes home 3 hours late to find "dad" asleep on baby Joey. To avoid too much grief/legal problems this gets glossed over as SIDS and swept under the rug, family gets plausible deniability, dad can continue working at the 7-11 down the street without a manslaughter charge, mom can keep waiting tables to get through community college.

Further further pure speculation, if you are over 25 and even have a passing knowledge of what SIDS is, you're likely not in the target group affected by SIDS.

But I will also agree that technically it is less likely to SIDS an infant if they are not near things that can suffocate them, like sleeping their own crib, regardless of your socioeconomic status.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 18, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

remigious posted:

Is it worth buying a bassinet if it will only be used for 2 months? I’m also considering a Finnish baby box instead. It seems weird to think about sticking a baby in a glorified cardboard box though.

We inherited a $$$ "Snoo" bassinet from my sister in law, which previously was on loan to my brother in law's best friend, and there's another family lined up behind us to use it, definitely worth asking around to see if there's something second hand you can use.

Finish baby box is a good option, it has nice wallpaper on the inside so it's not "just" a cardboard box.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I am not a parent (yet) but I also read this article along with a couple other supporting documents, my take-away from all this (pure speculation) was that SIDS happens disproportionately in economically disadvantaged communities.

Further pure speculation, I can certainly see a situation where father/mother's boyfriend has baby joey on the couch, he is 19, has been playing madden 2021 for 16 hours straight smoking some bowls while mom is out waiting tables at Applebee's on a double shift, knows she is coming home soon so gets started on that handle of vodka in the freezer from last weekend's party, and passes out on the couch/baby. Mom decides to stay late to help cleanup from a double 21st birthday party at applebees and comes home 3 hours late to find "dad" asleep on baby Joey. To avoid too much grief/legal problems this gets glossed over as SIDS and swept under the rug, family gets plausible deniability, dad can continue working at the 7-11 down the street without a manslaughter charge, mom can keep waiting tables to get through community college.

Further further pure speculation, if you are over 25 and even have a passing knowledge of what SIDS is, you're likely not in the target group affected by SIDS.

But I will also agree that technically it is less likely to SIDS an infant if they are not near things that can suffocate them, like sleeping their own crib, regardless of your socioeconomic status.

Didn't realize being poor means you are an irresponsible piece of poo poo that neglects babies.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Hey

This is a really, really lovely take for a number of reasons, least of all that infant deaths due to asphyxiation and crushing are actual things and are recorded as such.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

less likely to SIDS an infant

Disgusting, I started to engage with this in good faith but get hosed.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alterian posted:

Didn't realize being poor means you are an irresponsible piece of poo poo that neglects babies.

I'm not interested in making absolute statements, and did my best not to make any, but thanks for insinuating as much

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

I'm not interested in making absolute statements, and did my best not to make any, but thanks for insinuating as much

yeah its a loving lovely take mate

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Probably more an indication of how bougie our neighborhood has been getting but I swear half of the new parents group we joined had a snoo.

We went with a mika micky bassinet because we thought the option of being able to dock it to the bed would be useful. Turns out just getting up and double-teaming the feeds (one handles wrangling the baby and a mid-feed change while the one with the boobs handles the feeding) was the best fit for us so we never used that feature. We were also paranoid about he cats exploring it if it was pressed up on the bed. Then mini-pony started making baby sleep sounds that were keeping us wide awake so he got rolled out into the hallway pretty quickly, then moved to his own room in a crib. Now he is an absolute champ night sleeper (10 hours straight through the night) and we're so incredibly glad he allowed us to evict his grunty butt from our bedroom.

Now naps... naps are hell. I know that catnaps are "normal" for a 3.5 month old but gently caress could we use more than 25min off in a go and we would really appreciate it if he would get bored of his new trick of smashing toys into his face when he's tired (stimulating him to keep him awake, but he screams when you try to get him to do something else). He fights naps in the crib over half the time, doesn't like being worn, and it is almost always too hot here for a walk so we often end up putting him in the swing where we have to keep watch to make sure he stays in a safe position. We're kinda at our wits end over it and somewhat guiltily getting excited about upcoming daycare arrangements when we might, maybe, get a small amount of our sanity back.

It is also really loving hard working from home while nap battles are happening, or any other thing really. I help out when mrs pony feels she needs to tap out but that means that 90% of the time when I see him during the day he's either screaming or at the minimum incredibly fussy and that has really worn me down.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We had a full sized arm's reach co-sleeper. I got it with my first kid and he used it until he was too long to fit in it anymore. It was nice that it was transitional so he was up high and tethered to the side of the bed as a newborn, dropped down when he could start sitting up, and then detachable and freestanding when he started to try to grab and climb out onto the bed. It was one of the few things I saved after my first one even though we didn't know if we would have a second one. I lugged that drat thing through 2 moves until we had our second!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DaveSauce posted:

I can't remember how long they say to room-in, but our pediatrician even told us for one of his kids they quit after 2 months because the kid was a loud sleeper.

The recommendation in the US was finally updated in 2016 to follow the world-wide scientific consensus, after lagging for many years1. It's 12 months now, with the caveat "well at least 6 months if you can't do the full 12".

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/safe-sleep/Pages/Safe-Sleep-Recommendations.aspx

1 Apparently, the AAP recommended this before 2016, too, but it was worded unclearly in 2011-2016

I can certainly understand parents with noisy sleepers moving them before that, though. Ours was luckily fairly quiet but every little noise made me wake up...

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 18, 2020

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Gotta admit, we did get a Snoo years ago when it was less obscenely expensive and they ran a 40% off sale, so it was "only" $650 or so. Got literally everything else in the nursery second hand in order to justify it. My shite sleeper could actually do 4 hours in that thing at a time. Pack-n-play bassinet, swing (at the advice of our ped, to see if it helped with the massive spitting up), crib in the first few weeks? 1.5 hours, loving TOPS. Transitioned to a crib at 5 months like a champ and took the longer sleep cycles with him. We've been passing it around to my husband's friends as they've had kids after us. Trying to track down where it is right now because the thought of not having it and getting another awful sleeper that only does 1-1.5 hour stretches makes me break out in a cold sweat. Especially since my husband won't qualify for FMLA until new baby is at least a month old, so it's going to be all on me in the beginning.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just had to put a sick almost-2-year-old to bed. Curse the other parents at the daycare and their apparent lack of ability to understand one single loving rule: If the kid, or anyone in the family, has cold symptoms, you can't bring them in.

Graaaahrgh, I don't know if I can take one more week of this, we just kept her home all of last week due to a cold.

All spring, not one single sick day from March until June, and now this?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My toddler picked up something from daycare and we kept him home all drat week last week. We even got an all clear letter from his Dr. after his covid test came back negative. Now my husband and I are sick. Its something sinus related. loving blows.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

In happy news I bought my 4mo son a blahaj from ikea, a 40 inch long blue shark. It is his absolute favorite thing in the world. He will just climb all over it and hug it and wants to be near it, it's super adorable. He's never responded this strongly to any object before, it's wonderful to watch him just giggle and squeal and have fun.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

We’ve been having bedtime tantrums and battles of will lately, so that is fun. Outright, “NO NIGHT NIGHT” and refusing to get in the bath, then when bath is over he doesn’t want it to be over. Earlier this week it took two of us to put him in his pajamas because he wasn’t having it. I knew this stage or something like it would come but always hoped it wouldn’t. Toddlers are both awesome and extremely unpleasant, sometimes at once.

Earlier today I picked him up from daycare and they brought him out to the veranda, and he’d been crying. Turns out his class was going to play outside and he’d wanted to go, instead Square Funsuck Dad was there to cancel that. As we walked outside to the car his teachers were leading the class outside and he nearly lost his poo poo as he tried to dive out of my arms to get over there. I barely managed to avoid a complete meltdown by taking him over to wave goodbye to his friends and they all came over and said, “BYE BYE!” Then and only then did he agree to get in the car. I didn’t relish the idea of forcing him to get in his car seat and having him scream halfway home.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

What's your bedtime routine look like? Also what got my son to go willingly for showers was having a special shower only toy. Want to play with the blue boat? Guess you have to take a shower.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Take your child into the squared circle and show him who's boss.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tagichatn posted:

What's your bedtime routine look like? Also what got my son to go willingly for showers was having a special shower only toy. Want to play with the blue boat? Guess you have to take a shower.

Bath, brush teeth, then he likes to run out buck naked and say night night to the other parent, come back in and get dressed, read a couple books, then he crawls into bed. Twenty to forty minutes we wait for him to go to sleep, sometimes have to move him multiple times as he does anything he can to stay awake so he has to be reminded. He won’t let himself be rocked, if he does it’s like two minutes then he wants back in bed and he changes his mind about it a lot so he wants to go back and forth and we don’t usually let him do that, he has to pick one and stick with it (usually he picks bed).

He usually doesn’t have a problem with baths and bedtime is almost never a problem with the routine. But lately he’s been pushing against it a lot more for some reason. He will take showers with one of us when we need to shower, has a lot of bath toys and puts them all up after, but sometimes he’s just being a little poo poo and doesn’t want to cooperate with anything. Sometimes he wants to get in our bathtub.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Shifty Pony posted:

Now naps... naps are hell. I know that catnaps are "normal" for a 3.5 month old but gently caress could we use more than 25min off in a go and we would really appreciate it if he would get bored of his new trick of smashing toys into his face when he's tired (stimulating him to keep him awake, but he screams when you try to get him to do something else). He fights naps in the crib over half the time, doesn't like being worn, and it is almost always too hot here for a walk so we often end up putting him in the swing where we have to keep watch to make sure he stays in a safe position. We're kinda at our wits end over it and somewhat guiltily getting excited about upcoming daycare arrangements when we might, maybe, get a small amount of our sanity back.

It is also really loving hard working from home while nap battles are happening, or any other thing really. I help out when mrs pony feels she needs to tap out but that means that 90% of the time when I see him during the day he's either screaming or at the minimum incredibly fussy and that has really worn me down.

I'm assuming you know about and are working with the 90-minute alertness cycle?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm assuming you know about and are working with the 90-minute alertness cycle?

Yes, but he usually pushes more like 2hrs or so before taking a catnap. He's definitely unhappy but really loves going from being near nodding off to working himself up by slamming things into his face, groaning like Tina from Bob's Burgers, or kicking like mad (which he's currently doing).

We've tried putting him down earlier, later, and trying going by sleep cues (there were some but they've disappeared in the last two weeks) and nothing has helped. Reading through Ferber it looks like he's actually likely getting too much night sleep (he hit over 11 hours two nights ago) so we're cutting that back. We started last night and so far today has been better because he's much less fussy but still not great about getting enough nap time so his mood is deteriorating through the day.

Hopefully it is just him taking a bit of time to adjust to the change. I think the things he's doing that overstimulate him are just a matter of him having a new thing he can do but not yet having the ability to figure out when is a good time to do the thing and when to stop. Maybe the novelty of being able to lick a blanket will wear off?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes, but he usually pushes more like 2hrs or so before taking a catnap. He's definitely unhappy but really loves going from being near nodding off to working himself up by slamming things into his face, groaning like Tina from Bob's Burgers, or kicking like mad (which he's currently doing).

We've tried putting him down earlier, later, and trying going by sleep cues (there were some but they've disappeared in the last two weeks) and nothing has helped. Reading through Ferber it looks like he's actually likely getting too much night sleep (he hit over 11 hours two nights ago) so we're cutting that back. We started last night and so far today has been better because he's much less fussy but still not great about getting enough nap time so his mood is deteriorating through the day.

Hopefully it is just him taking a bit of time to adjust to the change. I think the things he's doing that overstimulate him are just a matter of him having a new thing he can do but not yet having the ability to figure out when is a good time to do the thing and when to stop. Maybe the novelty of being able to lick a blanket will wear off?

My daughter was always a lovely napper but a night time champ. At 4 months when I went back to work, she went to day care and was still a lovely napper, but also still a night time champ. It made weekends suck because I couldn't get anything done. We decided we were just going to deal with it because I was worried that messing with her naps would somehow mess up her great night sleeping. Her pediatrician said the naps were not that big of a deal because she was sleeping from 7p-7a so she was getting enough sleep with her crappy half hour naps. She stayed a lovely napper until 18 months old. When day care moved her from crib to cot with a pillow and blanket she just loved it. She sleeps 2 hours a day now. Usually not on the weekends because I think she thinks she is "missing out" on something. Like we are having a party while she's napping. But she self entertains now, so I can get my work done and watch her play and read her books at the same time. Thank goodness.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How can I encourage my daughter to practice riding her bike (with training wheels) more? She got it for her fourth birthday, almost a year ago now, and she's only ridden it a few times. She's fallen maybe twice, and is now afraid of falling, which is what she says every time we suggest riding it.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
As an alternative to training wheels, you can convert her bike into a balance bike by removing the chain and pedals. She might be more receptive to getting back on when she has the option of keeping her feet on the ground at all times.

My daughter started out on a balance bike as a toddler but didn't start using it regularly until 3.5. She got a pedal bike for her 4th birthday and was able to ride it a week or two later. We completely skipped training wheels because learning to pedal is way easier than learning to balance.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How do you get your kid to try something that they are not good at? My little one played with her cousins and was doing so well on their scooter that she wanted her own. We bought her kneepads and wrist guards along with a helmet. The scooter was gifted to us but when she tried riding it away from her cousins, she fell, got a cut on her knee and has refused to even try the scooter at all.

woah. In the same situation as a couple of posts above.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

1up posted:

As an alternative to training wheels, you can convert her bike into a balance bike by removing the chain and pedals. She might be more receptive to getting back on when she has the option of keeping her feet on the ground at all times.

My daughter started out on a balance bike as a toddler but didn't start using it regularly until 3.5. She got a pedal bike for her 4th birthday and was able to ride it a week or two later. We completely skipped training wheels because learning to pedal is way easier than learning to balance.

We did get her a balance bike for I think her 3rd birthday. I had to move the seat basically as far up as it would go, but even so she never really took to it.

TV Zombie posted:

How do you get your kid to try something that they are not good at? My little one played with her cousins and was doing so well on their scooter that she wanted her own. We bought her kneepads and wrist guards along with a helmet. The scooter was gifted to us but when she tried riding it away from her cousins, she fell, got a cut on her knee and has refused to even try the scooter at all.

woah. In the same situation as a couple of posts above.

Yeah, same situation with the scooter (minus the pads). She got that for Christmas either last year or the year before. She's ridden it a few times, but it's the kind where you lean to steer, and she hasn't really internalized that. She can push just fine though.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

hooah posted:

How can I encourage my daughter to practice riding her bike (with training wheels) more? She got it for her fourth birthday, almost a year ago now, and she's only ridden it a few times. She's fallen maybe twice, and is now afraid of falling, which is what she says every time we suggest riding it.

My kiddo did the same thing. She was a confident balance bike rider at 4, then we bought her a bike with training wheels at 5 and she fell off a couple of times and got scared and refused to ride. At 6 we went to a "bike clinic" held by the local council at a kids bike track where they teach kids to ride. They put her on an appropriately sized balance bike and she rode around and around and around the bike track until she was well balanced, confident on corners, fast and having fun. Probably took 5 hours over 3 different visits and she was very hesitant to start. They then put her on a regular bike with no training wheels and she was riding well within 20min with no falling off.
She was super keen by then so i bought her a bike with gears and she spent hours and hours riding circles in carpark of the local venue that was shut during lockdown and now we go on bike rides at least once a week and it's great

Tdlr: get a balance bike

Edit: picture!

pseudomonas fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 20, 2020

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, we'll try to find a bigger balance bike. It seems that the only ones I've seen are only good up to ~3 years.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We've got a Trybike in a trike configuration currently but we're going to make it a balance bike when our son is about 2.5. He uses it but in a kind of dutiful "got to get my daily 2 laps in" way and then he wheels it back to the garage and parks it.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010
You might have to take the peddles and chain off a regular bike that fits her. That's what the bike clinic had for bigger kids. AFAIK most regular balance bikes only really fit toddlers. Also recc going to a kids bike track (if you can) for motivation and extra fun esp for a hesitant rider
This is the big balance bike with peddles removed

pseudomonas fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pseudomonas posted:

You might have to take the peddles and chain off a regular bike that fits her. That's what the bike clinic had for bigger kids. AFAIK most regular balance bikes only really fit toddlers. Also recc going to a kids bike track (if you can) for motivation and extra fun esp for a hesitant rider
This is the big balance bike with peddles removed

I'll look into disassembling the bike, although I believe it's one of those that brakes via the pedals, so that might not work. I also have not heard of a kid's bike track, and Google maps doesn't know what that is.