Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

what's idiocracy, I keep hearing they're turning it into a documentary or something?

a secretly pro-eugenics comedy movie that goons keep referencing for some reason

real heads know that we’re actually living in Southland Tales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

DukeDuke posted:

a secretly pro-eugenics comedy movie that goons keep referencing for some reason

I thought the conflict was nutrient deficiency? The solution was to grow crops with water.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DukeDuke posted:

that bonus ep of blowback where matt talks about southland tales with brendan was such a great bit, that movie is a delightful trainwreck

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

miniscule12 posted:

I thought the conflict was nutrient deficiency? The solution was to grow crops with water.

the movie’s premise is that dumb people outbred smart people which made American society degenerate into vulgarity and ignorance. it even ends with the narrator celebrating the protagonist (a cryogenically-frozen average-IQ guy from 2005) having the only non-stupid children in the world

yeah it’s pretty open about it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah the movie is not subtle about it. I wouldn't say it's advocating for eugenics but its premise is rooted in the same ideas.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

The_Rob posted:

I don’t get this bit.

they're mad fyad is racist and misogynist all the time

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
lotta good jokes in idiocracy imo.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

DukeDuke posted:

the movie’s premise is that dumb people outbred smart people which made American society degenerate into vulgarity and ignorance. it even ends with the narrator celebrating the protagonist (a cryogenically-frozen average-IQ guy from 2005) having the only non-stupid children in the world

yeah it’s pretty open about it

makes sense, movies didn't know what class was back then

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
they talked a bit about the uselessness of the fbi but something they didn't mention is that they never caught eric rudolph either

by sheer dumb luck he was dumpster diving behind a strip mall one morning and got spotted by a local cop on patrol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Chexoid posted:

Amber talks about cops in the new premium ep so I think we should all enjoy this diversion while we can
She doesn't recite my own thoughts to me line for line and it is just so painful yenno, easily the worst chapo

DukeDuke posted:

a secretly pro-eugenics comedy movie
found the hard-r r-word!!!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
In quick succession, we get references to Slaughterhouse-Five, Dune, and Watchmen. :allears:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gfarrell80 posted:

They're basically the same person.

no way, ol yeller's syntax was downright professional. hardarf is lazy

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Seams posted:

lotta good jokes in idiocracy imo.

The only two jokes from idiocracy that I really remember being worthwhile are “welcome to costco, I love you” and “you like money? I like money! we should hang out.” But it’s been forever so I’m sure there’s at least one good joke I’m forgetting.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Heath posted:

Yeah the movie is not subtle about it. I wouldn't say it's advocating for eugenics but its premise is rooted in the same ideas.

A broken education system or lack of education is what makes people stupid, not genes, and it's disingenuous to say the movie argues otherwise :cmon:

America's downfall is largely due to its inability/refusal to educate its own citizens

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Chexoid posted:

Amber talks about cops in the new premium ep so I think we should all enjoy this diversion while we can

*cracks knuckles* Time to cancel Amber again.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly if they replaced the eugenics stuff with mass lead poisoning they probably could have gotten away with it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Lmao they just drew a false equivalence while doing an antisemitism. So are these guys chud or chud adjacent? Theyre at least a little bit fash, thats for sure

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People brag about reading all the posts in a thread, never ignoring anyone, meanwhile I am pretty close to having an entire page of ignored posts in this thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Idiocracy was especially dumb because we were already living in it even before Trump became president. And it certainly wasn't the poor who created the idiocracy. Also Trump is dumber than the president in the film.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

ArfJason posted:

Lmao they just drew a false equivalence while doing an antisemitism. So are these guys chud or chud adjacent? Theyre at least a little bit fash, thats for sure

what they often get away with is a no-true-scotsman combined with a new fallacy called “the jester’s gambit” - by doing revanchist agitprop and no-growth in this manner they have consigned an entire generation of leftists to being useful idiots for the various PMC hangers-on in the podcastsphere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is that video that connects flat earth to Q that matt mentioned in one of his rambles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

THS posted:

what they often get away with is a no-true-scotsman combined with a new fallacy called “the jester’s gambit” - by doing revanchist agitprop and no-growth in this manner they have consigned an entire generation of leftists to being useful idiots for the various PMC hangers-on in the podcastsphere.

oh absolutely.

anyway just listened to a new episode and they just called middle eastern people subhuman.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

A broken education system or lack of education is what makes people stupid, not genes, and it's disingenuous to say the movie argues otherwise :cmon:

America's downfall is largely due to its inability/refusal to educate its own citizens

Yep. I'd also say corporate capture of the two party power structure has left us so apathetic/hopeless that our main outlet of political expression is attempting to argue on forum posts, in some cases ironically or trollishly.

Meanwhile, our broken education system is resulting in QAnon followers getting elected to Congress and flat-earthers actually being a thing.

The Richard Jewell episode was great. I gotta say too I think the Chapo guys poo poo all over Gran Torino a bit too much. It is definitely a questionable film in that a viewer may normalize racist stereotypes, but I think it did have some pretty on point things to say about generational family, suburbanization (more affluent whites fleeing inner ring older suburbs), de-industrialization, immigration, and Gran Torino really faces up to the fact that the USA is still a goddamn racist country. Other semi-recent 'race' films - Green Book, American History X - you can watch those and think hey, people generally have good intentions deep down and we're working it out. Gran Torino I feel is a bit more accurate on the deep harbored level of racism and just how intractable it is - it paints us more as we are than how we want to be. But it does show what I believe is probably the best tool for defeating racism - actually living in the same neighborhood. Meeting, speaking, eating with, joining the family of your neighbors. As opposed to some other films which think you can win a war of ideas or something.

So - Gran Torino. Did it help enable the candidacy of Andrew Yang?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The jewell episode is the most earnest I think they've been in a while

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chakan posted:

The only two jokes from idiocracy that I really remember being worthwhile are “welcome to costco, I love you” and “you like money? I like money! we should hang out.” But it’s been forever so I’m sure there’s at least one good joke I’m forgetting.

I will spell anything I can get away with with 2 “D”s so you can always get a double dose of his pimpin’

Also the surfer doctor/lawyer and that entire scene never fails to crack me up, even with its problematic slurs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
the whole "watering plants with gatorade" subplot is also great

the movie is very funny and accurately predicted the decline of society, they just missed the mark when attributing that decline to first-world countries not practicing eugenics

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Idiocracy is *not* a documentary because in the real world of 2020, fuddruckers is being liquidated

Sad!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Not really feeling this episode.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Not really feeling this episode.

it's one of their better ones of 2020 wtf

i didn't see richard jewell so i can't tell if they're doing a straight or contrarian reading of it but i like their interpretation

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
working my way through the back catalogue. they just accused black people of some heinous poo poo. the hits keep on coming.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

i say swears online posted:

it's one of their better ones of 2020 wtf

i didn't see richard jewell so i can't tell if they're doing a straight or contrarian reading of it but i like their interpretation

I've been a security guard for 10 years now, and I'm just not that into trying to rehabilitate the archetype of the guy who goes all in on being a security guard cause he can't be a cop. These people loving suck.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh god now you guys are discussing idiocracy in earnest, I played right into his hands :negative:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I’m glad The Posts are back

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/1306977170947014661?s=21

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Moist boy is back

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Chakan posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

little munchkin posted:

the movie is very funny and accurately predicted the decline of society, they just missed the mark when attributing that decline to first-world countries not practicing eugenics
Yeah, that was why I turned it off halfway through. There's only so much "Ha! Look at the stupid poors!" that I can take.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

gfarrell80 posted:

So - Gran Torino. Did it help enable the candidacy of Andrew Yang?
This movie made more sense when I found out it was originally supposed to be set in Minneapolis/St. Paul and not Detroit

little munchkin posted:

they just missed the mark when attributing that decline to first-world countries not practicing eugenics
Is this in the director's cut?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

does anybody have a actual answer for why he looks so moist nowadays it's like kind of disturbing

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ArfJason posted:

oh absolutely.

anyway just listened to a new episode and they just called middle eastern people subhuman.

no they said "subterranean". theirs is one of the Cthonic races from the deeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Is this in the director's cut?
It's the opening scene of the loving movie, quit whining about it

Shipon posted:

that bonus ep of blowback where matt talks about southland tales with brendan was such a great bit, that movie is a delightful trainwreck
I rewatched it recently. I wish I could say it was delightful, but the pacing is terrible and there are whole subplots and scenes that are a waste of time. I have no idea what Richard Kelly was thinking. It seems like he has this urge to deliberately obfuscate his own work.