Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
thinking about this more, the great irony in all this is it shows the market largely works. these were priced too low and so as you would suspect, someone came in to try and capture the consumer surplus (the red bit in the graph below)

if anything this might lead to nvidia re-thinking their pricing as they would rather capture it than have 3rd parties get it. (caveat: they may have priced at this point because they're worried about AMD or they have other pricing factors at play we're not aware of like needing the fab equipment for other products that make a higher margin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
They priced it at that point because there's where it makes sense later on for the mass market once there's general availability. The huge amount of free press and mindshare they got by paper launching is just a bonus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If everyone had access to the same power GPU this wouldn’t be an issue. The whole paying for a premium is where the issue really lies.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

axeil posted:

thinking about this more, the great irony in all this is it shows the market largely works. these were priced too low and so as you would suspect, someone came in to try and capture the consumer surplus (the red bit in the graph below)

if anything this might lead to nvidia re-thinking their pricing as they would rather capture it than have 3rd parties get it. (caveat: they may have priced at this point because they're worried about AMD or they have other pricing factors at play we're not aware of like needing the fab equipment for other products that make a higher margin)

They absolutely priced it at this point because of AMD. The same thing happened 15 years ago (or however long it was) when AMD legitimately started competing on nVidia's level the first time. Intel did it to AMD too in the same situation They have the money and the resources to win a price war with AMD among their many other advantages. I doubt nVIdia just completely misread demand and mispriced the market. Somebody did an analysis and decided it was better business to make less in order to bleed AMD dry.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They priced it at that point because there's where it makes sense later on for the mass market once there's general availability. The huge amount of free press and mindshare they got is just a bonus.

hm, you're probably right there.

if they were really dicks they could do what the airline industry does and try and gauge each customer's actual willingness to pay and have different prices all down the demand curve (this is why airline tickets are so screwy based on even the time/date you order and not just the flight date).

then again there might be a huge backlash if 2 weeks from now they cut the price from $1200 to $800. intentionally pissing off your earlier adopters is usually a poor long-term strategy.

D-Pad posted:

They absolutely priced it at this point because of AMD. The same thing happened 15 years ago (or however long it was) when AMD legitimately started competing on nVidia's level. They have the money and the resources to win a price war with AMD among their many other advantages. I doubt nVIdia just completely misread demand and mispriced the market. Somebody did an analysis and decided it was better business to make less in order to bleed AMD dry.

yeah i suspect you're right here. since amd appears to have killed intel in the enthusiast cpu market, nvidia knows amd has tons of cash from that plus whatever they're getting from the ps5 and xbox gpu sales. the margin on those gpus are likely small but they're gonna make millions of them so even if they're only making $100/chip that's billions in profit. they may not have fabrication ability for a year due to that but when they do they could take a huge bath on graphics cards just to knock nvidia out.

this is probably why they just diversified and bought ARM and are trying to do the same to amd right now.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

If everyone had access to the same power GPU this wouldn’t be an issue. The whole paying for a premium is where the issue really lies.

From each according to his FPS, to each according to his e-peen

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Holy gently caress, the founders 3080s are $200-$400 cheaper than partner cards. $1100 for founders, 1300-1500 for aftermarket. What a rort

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

axeil posted:

then again there might be a huge backlash if 2 weeks from now they cut the price from $1200 to $800. intentionally pissing off your earlier adopters is usually a poor long-term strategy.

I hear the people who paid $1200 for a 2080 Ti that the 3080 blows out of the water aren't too happy. nVidia knows they'll still get their money.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Holy gently caress, the founders 3080s are $200-$400 cheaper than partner cards. $1100 for founders, 1300-1500 for aftermarket. What a rort

Yeah well, that's bushworld for you!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

D-Pad posted:

I hear the people who paid $1200 for a 2080 Ti that the 3080 blows out of the water aren't too happy. nVidia knows they'll still get their money.

gee its almost like people told everyone to hold off on the 2080Ti because it was vastly overpriced for what it was. If you bought one in the past 6 months that's entirely your fault for being impatient.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

D-Pad posted:

It’s hard to garner much sympathy for people blowing $1200 on a 2080Ti when a) they’re blowing $1200 disposable on a graphics card, b) it’s well known - especially to anyone in the market for $1200 GPUs - that tech moves on, gets faster, etc and c) the closer you are to the bleeding edge the harder you’re going to get kicked in the balls on the release of a newer “best thing”.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Durzel posted:

It’s hard to garner much sympathy for people blowing $1200 on a 2080Ti when a) they’re blowing $1200 disposable on a graphics card, b) it’s well known - especially to anyone in the market for $1200 GPUs - that tech moves on, gets faster, etc and c) the closer you are to the bleeding edge the harder you’re going to get kicked in the balls on the release of a newer “best thing”.

Seen elsewhere but lol:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Having measures in place to stop all typical scalping/bot techniques and to ensure only 1 order per person wouldn't have made this launch much better. Supply was just too low. You'd still have people playing by the rules buying a card just to scalp, and some that actually bought the card to use would take a look at resale values and decide to take the free money and just wait a few months for another card. Sure, a few more people that are actually going to use the card would've got one, but the vast majority of people that missed out would still have missed out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

axeil posted:

activity in nvidia's equity position won't be affected by this, it's too small in the scheme of their entire business. selling through this fast won't even show up on a quarterly p&l.

now what might show up is if they can't meet their production quotas so they miss their targets and underperform on revenue. but no one has any privy to those numbers.

don't invest in equities based on internet scuttlebutt.

The post I was replying to said "supply [of 3080s, presumably at msrp] is always going to be lower than demand."

The only way that happens on an ongoing basis and turns into "always" is if the supply chain for 3080s collapses completely and permanently. That event would probably show up in NVDA prices, in a way that would make a ton of money for anybody holding longshot puts. As long as there isn't a collapse that prevents the profitable sale of 3080s at MSRP, the market will lurch towards rough equilibrium, and eventually people who want to buy 3080s will be able to find them without going through a scalper.

Don't worry, I'm not actually going to go gamble on stock prices based on hot internet tips.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

hm, you're probably right there.

if they were really dicks they could do what the airline industry does and try and gauge each customer's actual willingness to pay and have different prices all down the demand curve (this is why airline tickets are so screwy based on even the time/date you order and not just the flight date).
I really wouldn't mind if during these supply constrained launches they introduced a Jensen Jacket Funding edition first at twice the price. Make it clear the normal FEs are coming in a week or two, and they'd still sell out.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Seen elsewhere but lol:

This is me. I'm upgrading from a 770. I got the 4gb version instead of the 2gb and got so much more useful life out of it. It's only been in the past couple months I encountered a game that just wouldn't load and most games I can play on medium at 1920x1080 just fine. It's why I wish they had a 3080 or 3070 with more RAM.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
If youe upgrading from a gen or 2 ago please make sure you are making the right choice, if your buying a 3080 while still rocking a old 1080p monitor thats not like 240hz or still havw a 4 core cpu you would have a much better over all qol experience by getting a 1440p high refresh rate ips monitor, a 3070 or 3060 and a newer CPU then just buying a 3080

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

mobby_6kl posted:

I really wouldn't mind if during these supply constrained launches they introduced a Jensen Jacket Funding edition first at twice the price. Make it clear the normal FEs are coming in a week or two, and they'd still sell out.

Each JJF card can come with an actual piece of Jensen's previous jacket that he ceremoniously and reverently sliced up for this specific launch. Imagine unboxing a video card and experiencing the rich aroma of fine Italian leather mixed with that "new PCB" smell!

Maybe toss a cigar in there too because why not?

Classy!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Scarecow posted:

If youe upgrading from a gen or 2 ago please make sure you are making the right choice, if your buying a 3080 while still rocking a old 1080p monitor thats not like 240hz or still havw a 4 core cpu you would have a much better over all qol experience by getting a 1440p high refresh rate ips monitor, a 3070 or 3060 and a newer CPU then just buying a 3080

Oh for sure. I am getting an entirely new system from the ground up and new monitors. This one has lasted longer by several years than any system I have built in the past though. The extra 2gb of RAM was the best purchase I have made in 20 years of building systems.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mobby_6kl posted:

isn’t that normally just called a titan?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I just play a used Atari I found in the dumpster. Is it feasible to solder a 3090 onto this Atari? I have long term plans for this system and don't want to be caught flat footed in the next gen.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
After two years of complaining that Turing was too expensive, goons are now complaining that Ampere is too cheap.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:argh: wheres the dang email mwave :argh:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Oh, well: this just gives me more time to build out my new PC. I'm having a tough time deciding on which full-sized tower to purchase.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Even if you were a legit buyer you would be rationally stupid to not scalp it at current prices.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Sphyre posted:

:argh: wheres the dang email mwave :argh:

They're nearly done with the raffle list. Lots of skuggs apparently.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

After two years of complaining that Turing was too expensive, goons are now complaining that Ampere is too cheap.

yeah it's amazing

ampere is still too expensive

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

FE is 739€ in Finland including 24% VAT. Asus TUF is the same 739€. TUF OC is 759€. I have my TUF OC order in and I hope to get the card before Cyberpunk. I ordered 50 minutes after the floodgates opened so it might take a year or two to actually get my RTX 3080 though :smith:

Truga posted:

yeah it's amazing

ampere is still too expensive

How so? It is 2nd best price-perf from Nvidia, after 1060 Super.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 18, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unormal posted:

Even if you were a legit buyer you would be rationally stupid to not scalp it at current prices.

if scraping a few hundred bucks out of things is your only life motivation, sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The 3080 product reviews on Best Buy are something else. Despite it all I appreciate Nvidia for bringing us this moment of comedy.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Scarecow posted:

i'm getting a 1440p monitor and a 3080

i'm also finally getting my old snes and n64 from my parents and am debating trying to mod that to work on a modern tv.

:pcgaming: :retrogames:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

btw want to reiterate that I was big time wrongo about the power budgets on these new cards. I misread what the evga dude said and thought they all had the same power budget like the launch day 2080s, but they most definitely do not. Really all over the place.

doesn’t really make much/any real performance difference but still

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well, delivery got delayed to October 1., which is pretty acceptable, and way better than the order being canceled. Still can't shake the feeling I've more surprises in wait.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat and has competitive GPUs at a reasonable price in the next month then this launch will look like an even bigger clusterfuck.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If AMD pulls a rabbit out of their hat and has competitive GPUs at a reasonable price in the next month then this launch will look like an even bigger clusterfuck.

In that case AMD would have to be able to produce even more of them than Nvidia, which is absolutely not a sure thing

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
If AMD had a decent rabbit they would have let it poo in public by now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

pyrotek posted:

In that case AMD would have to be able to produce even more of them than Nvidia, which is absolutely not a sure thing

No, I know this is all highly unlikely. And even if they had good product and decent supply it would still be a question as to whether they had competent drivers for it. But it would be a helluva thing to have AMD blow past Nvidia right after the hype-train derailing so badly with the RTX 3000 line.

In reality I'll be surprised if AMD is actually competitive again in the next 12 months.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Anyone know when the review embargo on 3090 lifts?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I decided a couple weeks ago that dropping $700+ on a toy is just too irresponsible for me at the moment, regardless of how much I genuinely enjoy participating in new-product-release internet hype. So I resolved to wait as long as it takes til these cards reach general availability.

Reading through this thread lately makes me feel like how I imagine Biddhists must feel watching the rest of us. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Look we all want AMD to succeed here but there's no way they have a better card in greater supply announces at their next event