Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They've had totally free reign too. This isn't EA pressuring them to make it faster, cheaper, and box checkier this is what their doing with unlimited time, the same game but with more tie-in novels where the actual story happens.

Like I keep saying this but everything they do feels expansion pack quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah theyve let their 1st party projects spin into these huge disasters on pretty much all fronts except the very safe coalition that seems to understand how to scope a project.
Buying 10 studios with games already in the pipe was a great idea cause phil and greenbergs terrible skills at shepherding projects are less likely to gently caress those games into the ground if they had good inertia behind them already.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any example to point to where a smaller dev has been bought by a big publisher and became better?

All I can think of is Criterion games and Burnout. they got bought by EA and every game was more ambitious and polished than the last (until they got forced to churn out lovely NFS games)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

(Looking directly at stux for his reaction when i dis crash like this) naughty dog

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know everyone loves Paradise but I'm a crusty old grump and think that 2 and 3 are by far the best Burnout games. You could definitely see a shift in direction after that point.

Also, while researching 3 and if it was already in development before or after EA got their grubby hands on them I found this glorious tidbit.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah 2 and 3 owned and the games after sucked. paradise is garbage idk why anyone likes it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

American McGay posted:

I know everyone loves Paradise but I'm a crusty old grump and think that 2 and 3 are by far the best Burnout games. You could definitely see a shift in direction after that point.

Also, while researching 3 and if it was already in development before or after EA got their grubby hands on them I found this glorious tidbit.

oh I feel absolutely the same about Burnout Paradise. it was certainly well made and deserved all the critical acclaim and praise it got but it just wasn't a burnout game.

I dont think Criterion were forced into making Paradise as an open world game, but its obvious that EA had a big hand in it (like the way there is vehicles and billboards in the game that display real world ads that update regularly). on top of that, the trend towards games getting bigger and more depth to drive engagement numbers and poo poo like that. its easier to sell DLC for an open world game instead of a handful of carefully crafted circuits (which, for burnout, were all built on large themed areas anyway, with multiple tracks being cut out of one huge 'master')

They would not have been able to achieve what they did in Paradise without EA throwing a ton of money and push behind them, but it seems it was also undid Criterion.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 18, 2020

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Laserface posted:

MCC would have been just as poorly handled by bungie or any other competent developer imo. it is simply too broad in scope to have ever worked out well.

Bungie probably would have had it working within a few months of release, whereas it took 343 like 4 years.

This is completely unfounded. There's no reason to believe another developer, especially one at Bungie's level, would have botched the MCC at release. The issues were mostly centered around matchmaking too, so it's doesn't seem like the scope of the project is what led to the issues.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
343 is incompetent and also outsourced a bunch of MCC to different place hth

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stux posted:

yeah 2 and 3 owned and the games after sucked. paradise is garbage idk why anyone likes it.

I don't think I ever met anyone that liked Paradise over 2 or 3 but tons of people liked it on its own. It was awesome fun and the way you events just flowed in and out of play was nice at the time.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Burnout Paradise 2 really improves the campaign flow but they had to call it "NFS: Most Wanted" :psyduck:

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I'm in Canada so from what I read that xbox live giftcards purchased in the US won't work. Would changing my location from Canada to US on my xbox let me spend them in the US store?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ego-bot posted:

I'm in Canada so from what I read that xbox live giftcards purchased in the US won't work. Would changing my location from Canada to US on my xbox let me spend them in the US store?

Changing xbox store country is a once a year thing and you have to have a payment method from that country.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ruffian Price posted:

Burnout Paradise 2 really improves the campaign flow but they had to call it "NFS: Most Wanted" :psyduck:

gently caress not a single NFS game is on gamepass. I'd love to play Porsche Unleashed or even the first one again.

"Road & Track Presents..." I probably put 200 hours into that game. I remember picking it off the shelf at Best Buy as a teenager and thus my love affair of big fat assed Supra's began.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

gently caress not a single NFS game is on gamepass. I'd love to play Porsche Unleashed or even the first one again.

"Road & Track Presents..." I probably put 200 hours into that game. I remember picking it off the shelf at Best Buy as a teenager and thus my love affair of big fat assed Supra's began.

Arent the (new and bad) NFS games in EA play, which is part of gamepass now?

and yeah this is kind of what I was getting at - Criterion got bought by EA, they released Paradise and then I think Alex and the other head of Criterion left, Criterion became Ghost studios and then forced to make the most wanted games.

All the poo poo that made Burnout cool (driving recklessly on public roads, the insane crash damage, vehicular violence) is all the exact opposite of what car manufacturers are willing to let their cars be licenced for.

so trying to make burnout into NFS was never going to yield good results.

its kinda baffling because EA would have had Burnout AND Need for speed and they both could have offered different and unique experiences but I guess EA saw Burnout as a threat to its own franchise and rather than admit that someone else could do it better they shuttered the studio and forced them to make NFS instead.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Celexi posted:

Changing xbox store country is a once a year thing and you have to have a payment method from that country.

I changed my Xbox store region to and from the UK store to purchase a game with a gift card a few weeks ago and didn't need a payment method.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Celexi posted:

game prices is not really a reason to get a bone, you can always rent games too from services like gamefly if you get the disc ps5!

Renting games is somehow illegal in Europe.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

John F Bennett posted:

Renting games is somehow illegal in Europe.

Which part of Europe? It's certainly not illegal in the UK.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Which part of Europe? It's certainly not illegal in the UK.

Well technically the UK isn’t in Europe! ( well won’t be soon lol).

Isn’t game renting illegal in Japan too?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Well technically the UK isn’t in Europe!

Uh yes it is

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

The European Union is not the same thing as the continent of Europe.

That's like California leaving the USA and saying it's not in North America anymore.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Europe is a continent, we're not leave that, we're (stupidly) leaving the EU (European Union)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It is illegal in Japan but thats what their extremely active second hand market was for. It was basically a way to rent titles by cycling through them quickly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I mean if the island of Great Britain wants to actually leave Europe, we'd be fine with that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

Europe is a continent, we're not leave that, we're (stupidly) leaving the EU (European Union)

Yes. It was a brexit joke.

Anyway which country can’t you rent games in?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Bad Parenting posted:

Europe is a continent

i never got why though tbh, seems like more of a glorified peninsula

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nuts and Gum posted:

gently caress not a single NFS game is on gamepass.
I've got good news.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Laserface posted:

It is rather annoying that I cant trade my one X against a PS5 at EBgames.

I was initially going to get a PS5 and keep my one X until the Series X got Halo/Forza since those are what got me to buy a OG Xbone.

Most of my friends that I play COD are on PS or PC. I dont want a gaming PC though.

but getting a new console for $399 is pretty good, Cross Play is coming to more and more titles (and likely will be in the next Battlefield, and is in both COD:MW and Cold War) and none of the PS exclusives are my thing.

Series X now on trade in of my one X, then buy a PS5 discless down the track if theres some killer app.

What’s stopping someone from trading it in against the XSX then just taking it to another branch (so they can’t just give you back your Xbox) and refunding that transaction against a PS5?

VVV- presumably because there’s a deal for extra credit if you go Xbox for Xbox?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 18, 2020

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Or just trade the One X in for credit, then put the credit towards what you want?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Stux posted:

i trust no brand and im never buying a console until theres a library, a price drop and a hardware revision so im going to rub my hands like a little rat while amd announces thheir new cpus

That’s the safest move, but at this point I feel that Sony’s first party has become as predictable as Nintendo in terms of the type of games you’re going to get.

Microsoft too, although they’re promising improvements.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

hanyolo posted:

Yep definitely trading in my One X for Series X. With my 2 year GP sub i'm sorted for the cost of ~3 PS5 games lmao

The title/post combo is :discourse:

From the way PS5 pre-orders are looking, I might have to get a Series X to hold me over until next year when I can actually get a PS5.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i never got why though tbh, seems like more of a glorified peninsula

It's racism/ego OP.

Thanks to social media I found out South Americans are taught there is just one continent called America and six continents total. Now that's hosed up.

Also is it true that Xbox games are gonna be $10 cheaper than ps5? Seems like it for launch at least.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Also is it true that Xbox games are gonna be $10 cheaper than ps5? Seems like it for launch at least.

no, in fact the first we found out about next gen being $70 was when series x game prices were announced

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A multiplat is going to be $70 on both PS5 and Series X, they won't discount one and not the other.

EA and Ubisoft have $60 games for now but that will almost certainly change in like 6 months.

Xbox has yet to announce any first party game that will be available in its launch window, let alone their pricing. A Gears 5 patch is it as far as we know.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I wonder if switch games will start going up to 70 too. After all, the cartridges cost more to make than Blu-rays so that seems like justification enough for someone to set the 70 dollar precedent there.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

univbee posted:

A multiplat is going to be $70 on both PS5 and Series X, they won't discount one and not the other.

EA and Ubisoft have $60 games for now but that will almost certainly change in like 6 months.

Xbox has yet to announce any first party game that will be available in its launch window, let alone their pricing. A Gears 5 patch is it as far as we know.

I wonder if Microsoft will counter by releasing games at the "old" price tier.

That said, their silence of first party games is weird. Gears Tactics, maybe? The Gunk could also be a launch game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Iacen posted:

I wonder if Microsoft will counter by releasing games at the "old" price tier.

That said, their silence of first party games is weird. Gears Tactics, maybe? The Gunk could also be a launch game.

That or just raise all prices to $70 so Game Pass overdelivers on value even more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox can set whatever price they want, 99% of players will pay the go sub fee instead so its no big deal to them

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

itt with people thinking ms games are cheap when i shelled out $110 each to get versions of forza 6 and 7 that didn't rely on mtx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

When the 360 launch, MS said they would keep first party games at $50, and then gave up on that within a year. Kameo and PD0 were $50. Gears was the first $60 game from MS. Can’t remember if they released any in between.