Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

victrix posted:

Thread needs a serious reading guide/order info post
There is no real order. Mostly these are disconnected series that just happen to inhabit the same world. Some of them are entirely generic TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

D-Pad posted:

Lol they announced a Sororitas VR game. I know it's gonna suck but I really want it.

Yeah. I'm still getting it, but yeah.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

There is no real order. Mostly these are disconnected series that just happen to inhabit the same world. Some of them are entirely generic TBH.

I think they are referring to HH. The issue is there really isn't a right answer, it just comes down to personal preference. I read every single one in order. There were some real poo poo books, but I wanted the whole thing. I can completely understand someone who just wants to hit the highlights or somebody who wants everything but the really bad ones.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

D-Pad posted:

Lol they announced a Sororitas VR game. I know it's gonna suck but I really want it.

The trailer is missing the part where the mother superior makes you kneel on Legos for six hours because the heretic you cooked was improperly charred on one side.l

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/Gf3T5PE.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/0OWcs9r.mp4

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That flamer looks a lil anemic

Is there a list out there that tiers the books into like genuinely good, okay, def skip? Both for HH and for 40k.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

aphid_licker posted:

That flamer looks a lil anemic

Is there a list out there that tiers the books into like genuinely good, okay, def skip? Both for HH and for 40k.

Anemic? Hell, I've had BBQ lighters with more oomph than that :v:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Rat posted:

Anemic? Hell, I've had BBQ lighters with more oomph than that :v:

Guys, I think I found Elon’s account...

:ohdear:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

The last 5 or so pages has a lot of discussion about both. You can check my posts for 40k recommendations and other have posted about good HH several times.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Book four The Flight of the Eisenstein was the first black library book I ever read, I remember it being good and liking it enough to go read like 100 more BL novels.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

D-Pad posted:

The last 5 or so pages has a lot of discussion about both. You can check my posts for 40k recommendations and other have posted about good HH several times.

Yeah I know, I have the thread bookmarked, I was just curious if someone somewhere had compiled it all in one place.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ego-bot sold me their copy of the Grey Knights Omnibus and it's here! :toot:

I'm, uh, concerned about the quality of the books after reading Galaxy in Flames but also gently caress it, it's gorgeous and it's mine and it's all thanks to Ego-bot being a cool goon. Thanks!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah I know, I have the thread bookmarked, I was just curious if someone somewhere had compiled it all in one place.

I'd love to write a new OP for a new thread and could put most of it together and then ask thread for input, I just don't have the time right now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

D-Pad posted:

I'd love to write a new OP for a new thread and could put most of it together and then ask thread for input, I just don't have the time right now.

Literally just do the current OP but with a new section at the bottom called "NEW BOOKS SINCE THE ORIGINAL OP RELEASED, HERE ARE THE GOOD ONES", don't fix what ain't broke

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I was just thinking about how BL books are all over-the-top but sanitized violence and melodramatic man-drama and was like oh poo poo this is wrestling

D-Pad posted:

I mean we can all collaborate on it in a google doc or something, surely we all remember one or two that we loved or hated.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 17, 2020

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm, uh, concerned about the quality of the books after reading Galaxy in Flames but also gently caress it, it's gorgeous and it's mine and it's all thanks to Ego-bot being a cool goon. Thanks!

There are 3 books in there. The first whips rear end and is the most metal thing I've ever read. The second is decent enough. The third is not great.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I borrowed the first Grey Knights from a friend years ago and then forgot to read the rest, but I seem to remember being entertained (and forgetting to read the rest has way more to do with ADHD than anything else).

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

I was just thinking about how BL books are all over-the-top but sanitized violence and melodramatic man-drama and was like oh poo poo this is wrestling

Holy poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

aphid_licker posted:

I mean the imaginary consequences go beyond "my contract" in BL books, but that's basically all fiction, yeah?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The third Greyknights book by Counter is definitely a book.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

aphid_licker posted:

Guilliman's not very good at promos but his ringwork is fantastic.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wow, that arrived a lot quicker than I expected.

I posted a picture of my collection earlier in this thread. If anyone wants one or more of these books, let me know. I'm likely going to give them to a library or prison at some point so It'll just cost you shipping.

edit: Some I haven't read yet but I'm planning to. Also available but not pictured, Devestation of Baal and Plague Wars.

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 18, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ego-bot posted:

I posted a picture of my collection earlier in this thread. If anyone wants one or more of these books, let me know. I'm likely going to give them to a library or prison at some point so It'll just cost you shipping.

PMing you about Eisenhorn and Ravenor!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ego-bot posted:

pm'ing you about a couple books.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
The first Ben Counter Grey Knights book in my head I remember being great. However, I must have read it like 15 years ago now? There is one scene I remember bugging me:

Don't they visit a feudal world and are nearly captured by a bunch of guys on horses? Some amazing setpieces in that book though and a great depiction of how they pool their powers together and through force-weapons.

The ending with Tancred and the whole "I am the.." speech owns, one of the best scenes written along with Camba Diaz on the bridge by Abnett and bladebreaking scene with Hyperion by ADB.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 18, 2020

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Diaz on the bridge in the audiobook was amazing

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

ed balls balls man posted:

The first Ben Counter Grey Knights book in my head I remember being great. However, I must have read it like 15 years ago now? There is one scene I remember bugging me:

Don't they visit a feudal world and are nearly captured by a bunch of guys on horses? Some amazing setpieces in that book though and a great depiction of how they pool their powers together and through force-weapons.

They're ambushed by a feudal army, which sends cavalry at them. The cavalry get rekt, as you would expect, but while that's happening thousands of footsoldiers are able to advance without getting shredded by bolter fire and get into close combat in sufficient numbers to overwhelm the Grey Knights. The bit where they use psychic powers as a squad is what busts them out of the trap just as they're about to be swamped by the enemy's numbers.

I found it a pleasing case of showing (rather than telling) that space marines have their limits, and that a sufficiently cunning enemy can effectively exploit those limits even with relatively sparse resources.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The Imperial Infantry handbook reprint will be out tomorrow. It isn't as limited as a LE, but from what I have seen it probably won't be in stock for longer than a day or three. If you are interested I would grab one tomorrow.

quote:

A Warhammer 40,000 book

You there, trooper! You look like you need a guide to life in the Astra Militarum. This is IT! Learn everything you need to know in this essential guide for every Guardsman.

READ IT BECAUSE
Find out what it's really like to be an Imperial Guardsman – with a healthy dose of humour too. It's like a feature-length Regimental Standard…

DESCRIPTION
Welcome to the Astra Militarum, Guardsman! You don't know it yet, but this book is your new best friend. In its pages, you'll find everything you need to know in order to defeat mankind's enemies and prove yourself worthy of being a trooper in the Imperial Guard. It'll teach you how to march, how to shoot, how to maintain your weapons (and how to request replacements if you misplace yours), and much more. Learn the prayers and benedictions that will protect you from your foes, and how to best kill each of the Imperium's enemies with minimum effort. It's the essential guide for every Guardsman.

CONTENTS
Imperial Munitorum Manual
Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer
The Benedictions of the Emperor

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 19, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am about halfway though Kal Jericho: Sinner's Bounty, and it's basically Forgeworld Hired Guns: The Book. Current count is eight named characters, and at least two of the big generics being used..

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

The Imperial Infantry handbook reprint will be out tomorrow. It isn't as limited as a LE, but from what I have seen it probably won't be in stock for longer than a day or three. If you are interested I would grab one tomorrow.

I recently realized that, while I can still find my Munitorum Manual, I can't find my Primer.

I'm glad this reprint happened before a Commissar realized this, too!

radlum
May 13, 2013
In the time it took me to find my credit card, it went out of stock

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

radlum posted:

In the time it took me to find my credit card, it went out of stock

Amazon doesn't even show it being released until the 29th?

:confused:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I meant on the GE site, but I might get it from Amazon.

How are the Hammer of the Emperor and Shield of the Emperor omnibuses?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Amazon doesn't even show it being released until the 29th?

:confused:

GW does releases a week before they actually go on sale. You can pre-order it on Amazon right now and you'll get it after next Saturday. I just checked and Amazon says they are in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Infantrymans-Handbook-Warhammer-000/dp/1789991935

Anybody who ever plans on maybe ordering something like this on the GW site should create an account and save a method of payment so you don't miss out. Or you can use the paypal check out option if you don't want to save a CC on GW site.

Edit: It shows as still in stock on the US GW site...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The new Ork POV novel is pretty good at halfway in. It's split between Ork POV and Mechanicus POV. Brooks does a good job of not making the Ork speak too annoying, in fact, I am actually enjoying it. The Ork sections are awesome. He obviously has a great understanding of what makes the Orks fun.

He's even got a non-binary techpriest which makes a ton of sense considering the Mechanicus's views and I look forward to the 40k chuds being triggered.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I've heard only good things about that so far, I didn't realize it had any AdMech stuff though, I might have to add it to the list.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

D-Pad posted:

The new Ork POV novel is pretty good at halfway in. It's split between Ork POV and Mechanicus POV. Brooks does a good job of not making the Ork speak too annoying, in fact, I am actually enjoying it. The Ork sections are awesome. He obviously has a great understanding of what makes the Orks fun.

He's even got a non-binary techpriest which makes a ton of sense considering the Mechanicus's views and I look forward to the 40k chuds being triggered.
How can you have a non-binaric techpriest? That doesn't make any sense at... oh. He also had a non-binary planetary governer in Rites of Passage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Sadly, Horus doesn't get much more characterization after his fall to Chaos, but one moment does stand out: During I think it was Vengeful Spirt Horus and his Justaerians (Luna Wolves name for 1st Company Terminators) board a loyalist vessel and take the bridge. The captain knows he's outgunned and is about to surrender when Horus goads him into attacking. Since it's baseline humans vs. a Primarch and Astartes the captain and crew get wiped out almost immediately. Abadon asks Horus why he did that and Horus says that if it gave the captain a way to die with honor instead of surrendering in shame

Sadly this doesn't really get capitalized on in later stories.

i mean i kinda view it as he is really barely himself anymore by the time they hit terra. dudes been warp hosed to hells and back and probably has like 30 deamons in his brain and all 4 major gods screaming in his ears. he is basicaly an broken avatar for them now just like the rest of the chaos primarcs are twisted to gently caress and back outside perterabo who was always a sulky shithead and i guess konrad who is in an escape pod.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

D-Pad posted:

i mean do the techpriests even have a biological sex after a fashion after a while. i mean when your a brain in robot spider or whatever, its all gender than and even then you come from a society than doesn't even care about that kinda stuff because they dont even want to be human. anyway, thats cool. whats the ork book called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Brutal Kunnin

Started reading it a couple hours ago. It's a lot of fun and Brooks' ork dialogue is much better.

Ere we go. Ere we go. Ere we go.

Edit: The first thing I asked in this thread was if there was an Ork novel. There wasn't at the time and this is shaping up to be exactly what I wanted.