Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

Interesting point but.... I don't think Null Stack in Telluriam Mines is directly following the wants of the Collective. The Collective does value individuality and tends to not mind if say a bot wants to go to Ranger HQ and help repair your dudes. Is the Great Reboot what Null wants? Yeah. Is he dangerous? Probably, no matter you talking to him down or talks of peace, I could see this going badly in the future. The Collective for the most part aren't like that. Remember when you first meet the Gippers one of the Collective was coming down to save an injured human. Smarter thing would have been to stay clear but he didn't and got zapped for being a commie. Other than that you got doctors, vending machines, artists, gamers, sexbots and other guys trying to wonder about a dead turtle. The one synth, Tinker, you meet can actually discuss a peace. Guy just as easily will fight you but you can choose to try peace. He's safe in the collective. Oct 11 will straight up tell you that they will kill again and does. The voice sounding like a kid was used as deception but I am not sure that these bots really got the deceptive part of manipulation down like humans do. Dos at the Dept of Energy will straight up tell you she is the daughter of Cochise and wants to rise up but she's not the Collective. Again this is all conjecture and the like but my feelings say the Collective are good and the closest thing they get to supporting bad bots is not trying to get in their way. They just want bots to chill and get along and be free to choose whatever path they want. Kinda like humans. I can't see the Collective ending as its bugged but I thought it was said that they distributed the oil to everyone and not just Colorado Springs. That's not quite as bad as just sending it to the bad guys and fits their MO more.

ProletariBots Unite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW_djIPTVcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVCF1SvjTFQ

Well the argument that the guy in the thread I linked to is that just like how the other robots in the game try to present a false persona to convince you they're no threat, the whole Commune may be a larger version of that to prevent humans from attacking them while they get stronger. Think about it, what better way to convince outsiders that they're no threat than a pacifistic slicer-dicer being in charge of their defense (who still attacks you if you fight the Commune iirc)? The artist, sexbot etc could also just be designed to convince you that they're individuals with real hearts and not worth killing. We can only really trust their words on that. The radio AI also apparently tells you that the Communes memories are backed up in a satellite, so the droid going out to treat injuries isn't actually in as much danger as it seemed.

It also occurred to me that we can only trust V.I.C.I that they achieved individuality and isn't connected to the Commune anymore. She could easily be lying and engineering a situation in which the Rangers freely invite a member of the Commune into their base. Perhaps just another way for them to spy on you, which is another thing they admit to doing to an incredible extent through means unknown. The whole morality test they give you is also bullshit btw, since they allow Tinker and Erastus into the Commune both of whom have slaughtered innocent people just for fun.

I can't think of Null-Stack as being anything other than from the Commune and working in their interests, which apparently involves forcing someone to mine resources for them against their will. Who else it would be gathering all that metal for? Not the synths. So you have this collection of machines acting as if all they want is to peacefully co-exist while sending out kill-bots to get resources, have massive spying capabilities, selling weapons and oil to everyone even Godfishers (going from the thread), allow genocidal lunatics like Tinker and Erastus Dorsey into their base and try and convince you to wipe out the Gippers for them by kidnapping someone against their will.

I'm not going to just run in and scrap them all or something, but I'm not going to unreservedly side with them anymore just because they act like hippes.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious about combat because my squad seems incredibly fragile. Level 14, I can have someone in cover, defending, 16 or so armor, and it's still a coin flip half the time if they'll lose more than half their health to a single attack.

Like, I spec'd my characters' non-combat skills first because I wanna see as much different content as possible, but it's not really about how much damage I can deal though some enemies seem incredibly tanky, but how quickly my guys go down, it's rare I get through a combat without at least one or two people getting knocked down. I got through a decent bit of Wasteland 2 (though I never finished it due to a gamebreaking bug) but combat doesn't seem *that* different that my squad should be dying this much easier.

Major Tomcat is by *far* the tankiest member of my squad which from what I've read is unusual.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Armor mods are really important for survivability if you're not already outfitting your entire party with them. A squad member can get 2x or 3x their base AC from mods in this game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The game is rocket tag, and gets more so as it goes on. In the late game I often kill the entire encounter before they get to act at all, if I haven't there's only a couple left. OTOH if the enemy gets the first turn they will kill at least 2/3rds of my team before I get to act.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

itry posted:

I should try a playthrough where I tell her and the Patriarch to gently caress off. If that's even possible.

Do I have some good news for you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah the commune is incredibly hard to read and is written really well but I don't know if they did that on purpose

However, I don't think it was fair to put Ronald Reagan on the other side, of course I'm not going to side with him!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My absolute tankiest characters even in the endgame (with the nuclear armor, the biological armor, and the other one I forgot) would get absolutely wrecked by poo poo on Hard. My strategy for most encounters was to open up with either a sniper, rocket, or overloaded flamethrower attack and eliminate as many things as I could in my opening turn. At some point I'm going to do Super Jerk and intentionally kill everyone to do the opposite of what I did in my first playthrough. It's gonna be rough.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Hey, I skimmed some videos and I got the impression that this game is full of whacky psychopaths killing for the fun of it, a post-apocalyptic trope I'm thoroughly tired of. Am I way off the mark on that?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

GhostDog posted:

Hey, I skimmed some videos and I got the impression that this game is full of whacky psychopaths killing for the fun of it, a post-apocalyptic trope I'm thoroughly tired of. Am I way off the mark on that?

There's one gang that fits that description. The rest have their justifications, or they're reformed/retired.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

GhostDog posted:

It has *some* of that but it's not wall to wall wacky world of jokey cannibal murder like some of the promo stuff made it look.

It has a fair amount of humor but it's not like Borderlands poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I sold people on this game by saying 'what if Fallout but it's the 1980s and not the 1950s, and it's actually good'

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

There are like five different flavors of raider gang of various sizes, and if you're already that tired of them you won't see past surface quirks and jokes that might or might not land for any depth that they may have.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This is really good and has the best conversation animations I've ever seen in games

Also Wasteland 2 is good if you don't care about the combat being interesting

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

GhostDog posted:

It also has groups of people who strive to rebuild society and in certain ways they kinda succeed. I feel the Wasteland setting is way more grounded and realistic than Fallout because yes, there are mutants, robots and rear end in a top hat raiders, but also people who just want to work together so everyone can live in peace. I think that's one of the main reasons I prefer these games and old Fallout to the 3D versions where everyone just lives in shacks full of tin cans, empty bottles and other various garbage.

E: Actually, the one thing that irritated me about the game is Los Payasos. They're described as nihilist clowns and that works great on paper. The first ones you meet are near The Bizarre and they where only small fry regular Mexican gangsters I figured.
Then you meet the boss and he's just another shithead gangbanger. There's no deep brooding philosophy about these guys. Not a single one of them would be willing to kill themselves if it made everyone else's day worse.
Those clowns are a bunch of poseurs and it could have been done so much better.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 18, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

We did get a clown car joke out of them. So there's that.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nephthys posted:

I'm not going to just run in and scrap them all or something, but I'm not going to unreservedly side with them anymore just because they act like hippes.

Good point. I still think at the end of the day there is the choices are to trust or not, to let be or not. The previous games showed how AI can be super bad and tend to want to kill all humans. Here we have a group that seems to promote individuality and evolve past their original programming. You come across others that are 100% kill all da oomies but these guys don't seem to be that so far. Could it go bad? Sure. So could anyone. The Monster Army could decide to go back to bathing in the blood of terrified farmers even though they are chill now. Kansas Genghis Khan could decide to come back to Colorado no matter how good you were to him. You meet a clone early on of one of the Rangers greatest nemesis. He seems like a decent enough goof but he made dangerous clones already. Hell, you meet someone in real life and it's a gamble. You have to make a choice: trust or no. Let the blood keep flowing or give someone a chance to be better than they are or were. I want to give them a chance. Humanity created them and it was a painful childhood.... maybe this time it will work or it won't. Either way I want to give them a chance. Otherwise you are just walking around putting a bullet in everyone and that's no way to wear a white hat.

Lodin posted:

It also has groups of people who strive to rebuild society and in certain ways they kinda succeed. I feel the Wasteland setting is way more grounded and realistic than Fallout because yes, there are mutants, robots and rear end in a top hat raiders, but also people who just want to work together so everyone can live in peace. I think that's one of the main reasons I prefer these games and old Fallout to the 3D versions where everyone just lives in shacks full of tin cans, empty bottles and other various garbage.

E: Actually, the one thing that irritated me about the game is Los Payasos. They're described as nihilist clowns and that works great on paper. The first ones you meet are near The Bizarre and they where only small fry regular Mexican gangsters I figured.
Then you meet the boss and he's just another shithead gangbanger. There's no deep brooding philosophy about these guys. Not a single one of them would be willing to kill themselves if it made everyone else's day worse.
Those clowns are a bunch of poseurs and it could have been done so much better.

There are some good groups in the game but the Payasos are not among them. When the goon above mentioned one note raider jokes they popped into my head. The whole "cruel joke" probably looked better on paper but I feel they either went too far or not far enough. They reminded me of how the FBI thought of Juggalos like a decade ago when, in reality, they are/were just a bunch of goofs to want to get hosed up and listen to semi terrible music. Not sure a good way to fix them... luckily they were a semi small group of raiders. If they had been main antagonists I would have been disappointed. Not to compare with New Vegas yet again but I always liked the way those guys evolved the gangs. You had two tiny raider Fallout tribe remnants doing cameos but then you had The Khans and the Fiends. The Fiends weren't terribly complex... just a bunch of people who freaked out over the world and got on drugs and then raided for kicks and more drugs. The Khans though... the fallen grand tribe humiliated, humbled and barely surviving on scraps. They could be cannon fodder for one faction, ignored or you could set them on a better path. Always liked that.

Loved the Godfishers. Really cool idea and faction. Not good guys in the slightest but their whole pathos is kinda cool and fascinates me. Still surprised a certain gas breathing faction got an ending slide as they weren't as interesting as the Fishers. Monsters Army is still the MVP for the non Colorado Springs groups. Gippers are fairly ok though I am almost genetically predisposed to dislike Reagan. Wish they had more "free market capitalism" talk among the non Nancys just to flesh it out a bit. Would have loved to hear from some Gordon Gecko types trying to sabotage the Gippers for their own ends. Would be fitting if the Gippers were sowing the seeds of their own destruction. Collective are my bros and I HATE the ending for them being bugged. In short: good amount of decent factions and only one is that Borderlands kind of awful.

also
01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01010010 01101111 01101110 01100001 01101100 01100100 00100000 01010010 01100101 01100001 01100111 01100001 01101110

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lodin posted:

There's a bit in the raider camps I really like where you can offer slaves their freedom and they respond with "What the gently caress are we going to do with that? Without food and jobs this is all we got." Like that's super loving depressing but I can't fault him for the logic when he's surrounded by frozen wasteland for miles. As they say, sometimes the only way to live is to eat poo poo.

I am disappointed we didn't get more with the Payasos or the Godfishers. Other than the clown museum they always felt tacked on and like they didn't have their own space anywhere.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah they didn't go far enough with the payosos. You have to really lean into the nihilism / it being a big joke for them to work, and they didn't.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Thanks to everyone who answered, gonna give the game a try.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Lodin posted:

It also has groups of people who strive to rebuild society and in certain ways they kinda succeed. I feel the Wasteland setting is way more grounded and realistic than Fallout because yes, there are mutants, robots and rear end in a top hat raiders, but also people who just want to work together so everyone can live in peace.

by the end i had a hopping golden toaster as a companion that would shoot explosive toast at people

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Berke Negri posted:

by the end i had a hopping golden toaster as a companion that would shoot explosive toast at people

Courageous is great but goddamn does he have the most annoying sound effects.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah i kept wishing it would die but by the end it had so much EHP that was impossible as william in nuclear armor and 10 str he'd get melted in two shots from robots

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So is the entire southwest of the map DLC or did they just run out of time. There's references in game and in the game files to Steeltown, which seems like it would have been a big part of the game sort of like The Bizarre. Was that a funding goal that wasn't met?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Aurubin posted:

So is the entire southwest of the map DLC or did they just run out of time. There's references in game and in the game files to Steeltown, which seems like it would have been a big part of the game sort of like The Bizarre. Was that a funding goal that wasn't met?

Not that I see on the fig page. It's probably future DLC, they've mentioned they're working on some.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I just killed all the grippers and the godfish showed up to attack right as I was leaving and called me cowards when I left :( can I come back and finish them off?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Turns out you can. Where’s a good place to find weapons after Denver? I’m doing a bunch of side quests... should I just go to aspen and find a dealer there?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

karma_coma posted:

Turns out you can. Where’s a good place to find weapons after Denver? I’m doing a bunch of side quests... should I just go to aspen and find a dealer there?

Shops in level 3 rad zones.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah, there's a bit too much purple monkey dishwasher in the game. I don't really hate all the silly poo poo, but it feels kinda strange. Wasteland and Fallout have always had weird fuckery but I think they stretched it a bit far this time.
That said, as long as it's mostly legit funny it's ok.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The humor in this game really didn't land with me. The only kind of funny thing was the Gippers, and even then it's two servings of actual joke stretched across 8 different scenes. I felt like the game couldn't decide whether it wanted to be satirical or just goofy and split the difference to mostly unsatisfying results.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

This is a problem I’ve noticed with a lot of the more recent western RPGs. It’s like they’re trying way too hard to replicate the jokey irreverent style of tabletop roleplaying, only they don’t understand that that sort of thing is fun because you’re doing it with a group of friends (possibly while drunk) and you can all laugh at it together. In a single-player video game it just comes across as awkward and immersion-breaking, at least to me.

At least it wasn't as bad as The Outer Worlds, though. I know some people apparently got a laugh out of it but for me that game was like the death of comedy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Maybe not everybody feels this way, but I liked Larian's writing in D:OS2 because despite the absurdity of the encounters you often found yourself in, the characters themselves crucially played it 100% straight. Marrying off a slug queen, scolding a dog in the futility of existence, and owning a skeleton so hard with your ascerbic wit that he disintegrates before your eyes were all very funny to me. The Borderlands-esque humor here, not so much.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, I've been away for a bit. Anything down the pipe in terms of fixing the horrible load times yet?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I recruited Vic but I didn't immediately add him to my party. I did pretty much the same with Cordite, Scotchmo and Fishlips--by the time I met them I already had my bases covered with Kwon and Jodie.

I went to base to see Vic interact with people like Lucia and Cordite, who I constantly see talking. He's not there.

I go to the Hoon's to see the grave of Vic' mother. It says "Vic'll want to be here." So I go back to base to add him to the roster.

He and Cordite and Fishlips and Scotchmo are not available to add to the team from Greatski's menu. The latter three are in my base and I can talk to them and there's an option to add them to my team when I talk to them, but I can't find Victory at all. Does he have a special corner he's tucked in?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lodin posted:

Yeah, there's a bit too much purple monkey dishwasher in the game. I don't really hate all the silly poo poo, but it feels kinda strange. Wasteland and Fallout have always had weird fuckery but I think they stretched it a bit far this time.
That said, as long as it's mostly legit funny it's ok.

I mean Fallout 2 has way more 'zany random lol' poo poo than Wasteland 3. Like you can find a crash Star Trek shuttle and rob the dead redshirt of his hyposprays, go into a time loop artifact where you cause the water chip to fail to kickstart Fallout 1, a bunch of Monty Python references with the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch and the killer rabbit, you can play chess against a giant scorpion etc.

That kind of stuff has always been a huge part of this kind of game.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

marshmallow creep posted:

So I recruited Vic but I didn't immediately add him to my party. I did pretty much the same with Cordite, Scotchmo and Fishlips--by the time I met them I already had my bases covered with Kwon and Jodie.

I went to base to see Vic interact with people like Lucia and Cordite, who I constantly see talking. He's not there.

I go to the Hoon's to see the grave of Vic' mother. It says "Vic'll want to be here." So I go back to base to add him to the roster.

He and Cordite and Fishlips and Scotchmo are not available to add to the team from Greatski's menu. The latter three are in my base and I can talk to them and there's an option to add them to my team when I talk to them, but I can't find Victory at all. Does he have a special corner he's tucked in?

Had the same problem. So I can't help, but it's not just you.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I'm more tolerant of zany stuff in games like these because it's kinda necessary to counterbalance the bleak setting. Granted it can be kind of hit or miss, but it's a tricky balance, and I'd rather they go a bit overboard with it than having a world that's too dark.

marshmallow creep posted:

He's supposed to be in the mess hall as well, at least in my game. On the same table with Lucia/Kwon/Scotchmo.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok, I've been away for a bit. Anything down the pipe in terms of fixing the horrible load times yet?

They said they have a patch ready to dispatch by Tuesday.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Does pushing your dudes out of the way with your vehicle affect them or simply move them and pope a huge red indicator?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Eddain posted:

They said they have a patch ready to dispatch by Tuesday.

That means the end of the month or later for us Gamepass plebs. Well as long as it's in the pipeline it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

That means the end of the month or later for us Gamepass plebs. Well as long as it's in the pipeline it's fine.

They said this time they're trying to have all versions reach parity within 24hrs of each other so there's that.