Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, that move will surely inject life into this obviously dead and inactive thread.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015

Rappaport posted:

I'm a Finnish Dune posting goon, so: Harkonnen is "wrong" but sounds sort of Finnish. The double-n doesn't make sense, as per the already cited Härkönen. The -nen suffix in surnames is a common thing though, which apparently is a savolaisthing :ohno:

Of course the Red Scare aspect is made all the more insulting :argh: given that Frank was writing in the 60s when Finland was very much trying to not be a Soviet satellite, and it didn't help that certain someones in German and US media kept saying otherwise.

I'd like to add that -nen is a diminutive suffix which implies that there is an truly gargantuan Vladimir Harkon in the world at large

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

dune does not have wi fi

but it does have gbs, as grandpa leto probably went "poo poo" when that bull killed him

keep it here

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I must rule, as a hawk among the lesser --- oh poo poo a bull!!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

oh man I have all of the @duneauthor prequel books at my parents place, I purchased them in hardcover when I was an idiot child

I should re-read them for how awful they are

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Good news, you don't have to imagine me smashing my fists into the table, as I scream about He Who Must Not Be Named not existing, because it's depicted here:
https://nullrouted.org/bongocatsmash.mp4

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Dune is an anagram of Nude. Coincidence? No. I think it's crucial to understanding the fundamental core idea laid out by the novel, that even sand itself can be horney.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Getting gored from behind by a real bull iykwim

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skeletome posted:

dune does not have wi fi

it would have if the Fremen didn't keep bribing the IT guy to take it down

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/jtramiers/status/1306718521230012417?s=21
Edit: shoot posted already. So good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh hey, a Dune thread! I saw the new trailer recently and it hyped me up to re-read the series, and then I saw in the CineD thread that there was a general Dune thread in GBS. Currently about 1/4 of the way through Messiah. I love the visual aesthetic of Blade Runner 2049 and I think it works really well for DUNC. It looks like they're trying to stay very faithful to the book, so it should be interesting to see how well they adapt some of the less-filmable aspects of it.

RE: moving the thread, I would argue that Dune isn't so much sci-fi, it's historical fiction that just happens to be set in a future period. :v:

Also, I read through the pronunciation chat a few pages back but it looks like the most important one was missed: Scytale is pronounced like "skittle", right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can pronounce it however you want :)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said it "sy-tale".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I was the face dancer friends we made on the (Golden) path.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I say SHY tall eee

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh hey, a Dune thread! I saw the new trailer recently and it hyped me up to re-read the series, and then I saw in the CineD thread that there was a general Dune thread in GBS. Currently about 1/4 of the way through Messiah. I love the visual aesthetic of Blade Runner 2049 and I think it works really well for DUNC. It looks like they're trying to stay very faithful to the book, so it should be interesting to see how well they adapt some of the less-filmable aspects of it.

RE: moving the thread, I would argue that Dune isn't so much sci-fi, it's historical fiction that just happens to be set in a future period. :v:

Also, I read through the pronunciation chat a few pages back but it looks like the most important one was missed: Scytale is pronounced like "skittle", right?

Greek word, so more like “skitali” imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did Greek have a soft C sound

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

As far as I know in ancient times Greek and Latin Cs were always hard. It's 20,000 plus years in the future so I don't think you gotta follow rules. Gaius Julius Caesar lived 2000 years ago and his name was pronounced something like Kaius Yooleeoos Kayzar back then so we're already way off in 1/10 the time.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 18, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I read it Sky-ta-le because I am lazy and the Scy sound in Turkish is (SI-cay as in chai).

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Sigh-tail for me

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

euphronius posted:

There is no C in Greek. Transliteration of the Latin C into Greek always used kappa.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read the Wikipedia summaries for failson sequels

I can’t imagine something could be that bad

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
A scytale was a kind of rod used to decipher code written on lengths of fabric. Pronounced SIH-TAL-EE.

I say PSY TAIL because it sounds more menacing to me.

euphronius posted:

You can pronounce it however you want :)

Also this.

BTW I spoke with Aardvark and he said he'd leave the thread here. DUNC FOR LIFE

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

euphronius posted:

I've actually never looked into the sequels only the prequels.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

phasmid posted:

Blessed the Mod'dib.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

it should be on every page

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sky tail.

Like that Harkonnen pilot tried to get with Jessica

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

kiimo posted:

Sky tail.

Like that Harkonnen pilot tried to get with Jessica

Ah yes, ZHEE-GO.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

phasmid posted:

A scytale was a kind of rod used to decipher code written on lengths of fabric. Pronounced SIH-TAL-EE.

I say PSY TAIL because it sounds more menacing to me.

Also this.

LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

euphronius posted:

Lolling that he turned the Bombadil/Goldberry stand-ins for his parents into Cybertrex and Son

e: the summary of the second sequel book really comes off like they are really just writing off the back of their Cybertrex books a few years prior

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 18, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

This is a regular reminder that in the House Atreides novel, Duncans rival at Ginaz school literally draws a hanzo steel katana and be all like "This blade is too much for a thrash like you" and draws a kindjal during the final fight.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

skasion posted:

Greek word, so more like “skitali” imo

It's pronounced "sword".

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
It's pronounced *impossible whistling sounds that make you want to kill muadhib* you goofs

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hrak!! hrak!! hrak!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Muddy B'

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Scytale is pronounced like "skittle", right?

gently caress you for making this how I pronounce it in my head forever now

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Is Tlielaxu society just entirely made up of face dancers, besides the ruling caste and the occasional rhyming midget?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Don't forget the tank girls.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Scytale is a real word, a cylinder used to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is apparently pronounced (/ˈskɪtəliː/ in IPA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

IPA is stupid write it like a human being!