Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Khizan posted:

I still want a book about Byerly living on Jackson's Whole with Ivan's in-laws.

Goddamn right we do.

Doji Sekushi posted:

Saw Lois McMaster Bujold's Five gods series mentioned a couple posts back. I've been wanting to read them for awhile, so I'm gonna dive in. Should I start reading in published order or chronological order?

Go with published I'd say. The worldbuilding comes off better that way. Book three takes place well before the first two, but there are no spoilers in them. The Penric series falls in-between, and its internal chronology and publication order are, I believe, the same. Penric does not spoil the third novel, but a couple of the novellas will make much more sense if you've read The Hallowed Hunt.

Enjoy ! She won a second Hugo for Best Series for these for a reason. It's really nice to see a "retired" author writing whatever it pleases her to, on her own schedule, and then self-publishing whatever she finishes. The Penric series is going to go down as a lot of people's favorites of her whole opus; the Vorkosigan stuff is special, but Penric is extra special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently, Terry Goodkind passed.

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.
"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.
At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

A new SFL Archives readthrough summary is up, no idea anymore how long it will take before finishing off SFL Archives Vol 11 or how many more readthrough update posts will be required.

GANDALF IS ILLITERATE

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

quantumfoam posted:

A new SFL Archives readthrough summary is up, no idea anymore how long it will take before finishing off SFL Archives Vol 11 or how many more readthrough update posts will be required.

Sorry, but where is this blog of yours?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I've been reading The Three Body Problem and I can't tell if Liu Cixin's prose is this dull or if he just got screwed by his translator, but man is it a slog to read. The ideas are cool, and I want to know what happens, but the actual process of reading the sentences is just dire.

The Dark Forest has a different translator and much worse prose, IMO, so I think your problem is with the author rather than the translator.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

I never read his books but I watched the series on Netflix and when this scene happened I just thought "yeah ok why not, this show's all in on the Hercules and Xena campy-as-gently caress train" and didn't find out until later that it was actually a scene from the books. Or that the books themselves weren't also meant to be over the top absurdity in a fantasy setting. There's just no way to watch that show, see the goddamn BDSM witch cult (among other things), and take it seriously.

Really dodged a bullet by not reading those books as a kid.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've known a few people that really dug the first book, Wizard's First Rule and never read anymore because the early printings declared the next book would be Wizard's Second Rule and they never found it in the book stores.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Can't believe Hillary killed goodkind for putting her in his books. When will her reign of terror end.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

FPyat posted:

Sorry, but where is this blog of yours?

Updated this thread's OP with the link to the off-site blog for everyone who missed it the first and only time I posted it.
I have a few self-imposed rules for the SFL Archives readthrough attempt, which I never really listed out before; so here it goes.

-Highlight the many weird, bizarre, horrifying and retroactively interesting things in the SFL Archives
-Try to be objective as possible, but some things creep through anyhow (Did you catch on that I utterly loathe filksongs in my earlier SFL Archive readthrough summaries?).
-Give framing context for the many weird, bizarre, and retroactively interesting things of interest that make no sense to people who grew up in the 1990's or later.
-Stay on topic and only mention things that come up in posts in the SFL Archives readthrough
-Minimize googling all the weird and bizarre things that get mentioned in the SFL Archives. If I gave in and started googling everything, I would be somewhere in SFL Archives Vol 03 right now instead of <as of 09-17-2020> a third deep into SFL Archives Volume 11. So I take plenty of bookmarks for things I plan on looking up later, whenever the SFL Archives readthrough is finished.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently, Terry Goodkind passed.

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

It's been over a year, how has Steven Erikson's Rejoice: A Knife to the Heart aged in the minds of people who posted about it in the old SF&F megathread?

It's still a huge miss for me. I think i'm the only person who enjoyed his Wilful Child series though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.
At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.
Yeah, for all the mourning it's worth to remind people that he was also a massive piece of poo poo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Drakyn posted:

awesmoe posted:

We had some good times. I think the ASIOF forum had something like 50 threads writing parodies.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Mind you, chickens ARE evil incarnate.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Drakyn posted:

nervously hahaha what the gently caress

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Terry Goodkind posted:

First of all, I don't write fantasy. I write stories that have important human themes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
^^^^^
are you sure that wasn't Garth Marenghi?

i will always love the chicken that was not a chicken. rip you freak.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
What I have done with my work has irrevocably changed the face of [fantasy or horror]. In so doing I've raised the standards. I have not only injected thought into a tired empty genre, but, more importantly, I've transcended it showing what more it can be-and in so doing spread my readership to completely new groups who don't like and wont ready typical fantasy. Agents and editors are screaming for more books like mine.

Garth or Terry? It's literally impossible to tell.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Most fantasy is one-dimensional. It's either about magic or a world-building. I don't do either.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drakyn posted:

Oh god that's from book 8 isn't it. I have never read a book in my entire life that was more boot-strappy. Richard was for some reason a peasant but took a second job and invested wisely and becomes a superman again all through his own power. Inspirational stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Purposeful or not, "armed only with their hatred of moral clarity" is an incredible piece of writing. It says so much!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

graventy posted:

Oh god that's from book 8 isn't it. I have never read a book in my entire life that was more boot-strappy. Richard was for some reason a peasant but took a second job and invested wisely and becomes a superman again all through his own power. Inspirational stuff.
No, you're thinking of Faith of the Fallen, where after objectivist-man bootstraps himself into prominence he singlehandedly triggers a massive revolt against the evil soviet empire by making the sexiest statue ever. The protestor massacre is from Naked Empire, the one where they visit a land of STUPID, PACIFIST SHEEPLE WHO ROLL RIGHT OVER FOR THE BAD GUYS and he effortlessly debunks their IDIOTIC, WEAK PHILOSOPHY and then there are GULLIBLE, TERRORIST-AIDING PROTESTORS between them and their goals and they well, you saw it.
Naked Empire was published in 2003. The Pillars of Creation, the prior book, is:

Terry Goodkind posted:

Dedicated to the people in the United States Intelligence Community who, for decades, have valiantly fought to preserve life and liberty, while being ridiculed, condemned, demonized, and shackled by the jackals of evil.

genericnick posted:

We had some good times. I think the ASIOF forum had something like 50 threads writing parodies.
I remember one comment from there about this particular...situation: "that's the problem with hatred of moral clarity: it takes too long to reload to be an effective melee weapon."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Purposeful or not, "armed only with their hatred of moral clarity" is an incredible piece of writing. It says so much!

quote:

"After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things — terrible, yes, but great."

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drakyn posted:

No, you're thinking of Faith of the Fallen

drat, my memory is terrible, and I have no plans to go back and reinforce it. I really should have stopped in the first book where his dominatrix/torturer falls in love with him, but, what can I say apparently I like bad porny books.

Unrelatedly the third Baru is very good so far! (I think it's unrelated I haven't finished it yet.)

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Silver2195 posted:

The Dark Forest has a different translator and much worse prose, IMO, so I think your problem is with the author rather than the translator.

Yeah, Ken Liu's supposed to be the gold standard for translating Chinese sci fi and The Dark Forest read much worse than either of the other two books in the trilogy which supports that. That's just the way they're written I guess; they definitely can be a slog.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

awesmoe posted:

Never forget that the last Sword of Truth book introduced a major plot hole in the first book.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Major Ryan posted:

Yeah, Ken Liu's supposed to be the gold standard for translating Chinese sci fi and The Dark Forest read much worse than either of the other two books in the trilogy which supports that. That's just the way they're written I guess; they definitely can be a slog.

Well I'm definitely not reading The Dark Forest then.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Major Ryan posted:

I had the same feeling with Finnish translations (from Chinese) so I doubt it's a translator issue too.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah I have friends who read Three Body in the original Chinese and that’s just how the guy writes. He’s and engineer by trade and very interested in theory and the moral particulars, not so much in the flow of language or even characterization.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Patrick Spens posted:

Well I'm definitely not reading The Dark Forest then.

It's the best of the three, though.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

General Battuta posted:

It's the best of the three, though.

It is, yes. A shame to miss out on all the cool ideas. I mean, the prose isn’t good, but it’s still a very impressive piece of fiction.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just finished Baru 3, did I miss any indication that the spinal surgery to remove a slice of Abd's tumor was going to paralyze him before it was revealed that it had happened? I thought they said they were super good at that thing so I assumed it would not happen.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Just finished Baru 3, did I miss any indication that the spinal surgery to remove a slice of Abd's tumor was going to paralyze him before it was revealed that it had happened? I thought they said they were super good at that thing so I assumed it would not happen.

ah heck I accidentally clicked this and got spoiled

Anyway, I just read that section, and Iscend implies it's a very real possibility:

"The nerve gives me the most concern," Yawa said. She'd been very quiet.
"Justifiably so." Iscend marked a certain vertebrae with a long needle, flagged with red cloth. "Any injury to the spine above this point will kill him. A lower injury might only cause paralysis."

[...]

"Do you think you can keep him alive?"
"At spinal operations my success rate is better than average. Hesychast trained me himself."
"Tell us the exact rate." Yawa's grip on the magnesium mirror began to shudder. She transferred it to her other hand.
"Seventy percent. If you discard those who came into the theater already dying."
Barhu groaned in worry. "Abd is weak. He hasn't been eating well. He has a fungal infection. I can't let him die."
"There are no certainties once the skin is open, Your Excellence."

It's on page 461 of the print edition, if you're curious.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Baru 3 spoilers:

There's also the fact that Iscend isn't the one who did the surgery, the Cancrioth took Abd and Iraji back on the ship do to it. And the surgeries were interrupted by Faham's raid on the ship, so even if everything had been going fine before then, that was probably when his spine was injured.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Finished the Anubis Gates and it's a really fun book. I really liked how everybody believes that the protagonist holds the secrets of the universe and yet he barely knows what's going on. It also feels like a kinds prototype of China Mieville's books, you got secret underground societies, people being remade into monstrosities and characters named Dog-Faced Joe.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

quantumfoam posted:

GANDALF IS ILLITERATE

quote:

-A weird bit of SciFi pulp fiction creeps out. In 1948 or early 1949, a anonymous person sent in a fake review of the upcoming October or November 1949 issue of Astounding Science Fiction magazine, complete with author & story title listing. John W. Campbell bit, and low-key contacted the authors listed in that fake review ASF review and had them write SciFi stories using those story titles, and then published everything listed in that fake review. JW Campbell then used that gag as a editorial hook-line about how Science Fiction can become a Self-Fulfilling prophecy.

(2020 note: I haven't googled any this so far. Currently hope that was real and not someone making up a fake story to burnish how amazing JW Campbell was an editor/human being/lover)

That is the November 1949 Astounding Science Fiction, the letter by Richard A. Hoen is in the November 1948 issue

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DurianGray posted:

Baru 3 spoilers:

There's also the fact that Iscend isn't the one who did the surgery, the Cancrioth took Abd and Iraji back on the ship do to it. And the surgeries were interrupted by Faham's raid on the ship, so even if everything had been going fine before then, that was probably when his spine was injured.
More Baru 3 spoilers: Right, I assumed that the Cancrioth were really, really good at those surgeries because they've been doing this for a millennium, but that the latter was the reason why because the ship presumably was getting hosed up by the drugs and all the violence.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Making a request for assistance before I re-post Thursday's SFL Archives readthrough summary here.

I want to re-vamp the SFL Archives readthrough blog design, however the blog-banner picture looks terrible when it gets upscaled.

Does anyone have a HD screengrab of the scene in the Naked Gun 1 where Leslie Nielsen is saying "Please disperse. Nothing to see here. Please Disperse" while a fireworks factory is exploding behind him?

Aka this scene.
https://youtu.be/aKnX5wci404?t=27

e: that picture run through Google's DeepDream might be terrible or terribly-amazing

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 19, 2020

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

New Abercrombie was pretty good and a step up from the first book in the series. He has evolved quite a lot since the first law trilogy.
Seems like the third will be a version of the French Revolution based on the final chapters.
Also, killing your darlings is not a problem for Abercrombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

<re-posted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

SFL Archives vol 11 readthrough update 04

34% completion, 135 bookmarks

18 items of interest.

<re-posted from off-site SFL Archives readthrough blog>

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 29, 2021