Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sandweed posted:

My mum is always screaming about how JK Rowling is being prosecuted and that Richard Dawkins is the smartest guy around.

Someone got offended when I burst out laughing when they dropped ’Professor Jordan Peterson said…’ into conversation recently.

dog snipe

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'd answer your call, Citizen.

:sympathy:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mailer posted:

Reasons to stop being negative and embrace Star Citizen:

Because you always dreamed of a life in space where people would mop your floors.
Unity with the best community in video games.
You know it's just Derek Smart orchestrating an attack because he doesn't have the success that SC does.
Any other game would have a publisher, and publisher demands are what caused games to release less than perfect.
No one thought Chris could do it, but you know he can.
Idiots don't realize that they're just going to be lining up to buy the game on release anyway.
Don't listen to the haters - they're just mad because they can't kill you like in Eve.
Real vision requires time and money to execute. The game will be done when it's done and you should be patient.
If they ever said SQ42 had priority it was just to make investors happy. CIG knows the real product is the PU.
So you can laugh next year when the BDSSE gets released and all the goons cry about it.
It's most open game development ever. You can follow items arbitrarily appearing and disappearing from the roadmap, you can watch % to completion going randomly up or down. Even the roadmap has its roadmap! It's all very transparent. And best of all, you can follow its development forever.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Torquemada posted:

Someone got offended when I burst out laughing when they dropped ’Professor Jordan Peterson said…’ into conversation recently.

dog snipe

Indeed, somebody got rather defensive when I noted that their overt bigotry lined up rather nicely with their consistent posting in the JordanPeterson subreddit. Imagine trying to use the lobster man as a reference in discussions.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
SC development feels like a reverse cookie clicker game at this point. Less and less is happening despite more and more resources being thrown at it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemada posted:

dog snipe

The one who advocated an all-beef diet, got addicted to drugs, had a dodgy Russian hospital put him in a coma, contracted COVID-19 and nearly died? Yeah, I can see why people would follow his advice.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Do you think Chris wanders into the devs at random and hands over a USB with 'I just coded this bit blitter' and they all do a happy dance,
OR do you think devs just open up the code base and see their hard work replaced with Chris code at random?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Working remotely has got to be tough for Chris since he can’t randomly sit down next to devs and tell them to scrap and redo all of their work anymore. Or maybe now he just shows up at their homes unannounced.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

happyhippy posted:

Do you think Chris wanders into the devs at random and hands over a USB with 'I just coded this bit blitter' and they all do a happy dance,
OR do you think devs just open up the code base and see their hard work replaced with Chris code at random?

USB? I think you're over-estimating Chris' computer-things-up-to-dated-ness.
It'll be on zip disks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

happyhippy posted:

I think he just waves at them while mumbling something incomprehensible, they nod and once he leaves, they go back to making jokes about him on Slack or something.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Someone needs to leave a copy of this on Crobbers desk (if he's ever in the office any more):

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Reporter: Chris, what do you think of the Nvidia-Arm deal?

Chris: Well, uhhh, it's not surprising, uhhh ehhh we've been ahead of the curve on ARMS for years now, when you see what we did with GRABBY HANDS and uhh your spaceman who CONTROLS THE CONTROLS THAT CONTROL THE SHIP you can see that we've had BESPOKE ARMS TECHNOLOGY for a few years now, it's been part of my vision that you have ARMS, so I think we're going to see a lot more of that in the future.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mu77ley posted:

Someone needs to leave a copy of this on Crobbers desk (if he's ever in the office any more):

Surely, at least three of those companies are part of the umbrella of shell companies built over the years by Roberts and his vampire buddy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Zaphod42 posted:

"Game design is an iterative process. There's no-one who writes a design doc and then a few weeks later comes along and says 'great, what's next'"

Yeah... a few weeks maybe not. But literally everybody manages to deliver after a few years. You don't get to talk "hey nobody can make games in a few weeks!" when you've been at this for like 8 years now

Consider me blowing milk out of my nose that they dared to mention a design document.

I'm sure they'll be able to share that document so everybody can know exactly what Star Citizen is supposed to be.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Lol nice, I keep seeing the Citizenry throw out 2027-2028 as a release date, like its what they always expected. I can’t imagine what a CryEngine game from 2012 will look like well into the PS6 era.

But 25% finished? That’s a pretty far stretch considering that they haven’t even finished star system 1/100 yet.

I imagine by then we'll be up to Unreal Engine 6, and the whole screen will just be per-pixel composite where the number of polygons don't even matter anymore and if your art team is good enough your game can look like real life with almost difficult to perceive differences.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mu77ley posted:

Should roll it up and bop him on the noggin with it imo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

I imagine by then we'll be up to Unreal Engine 6, and the whole screen will just be per-pixel composite where the number of polygons don't even matter anymore and if your art team is good enough your game can look like real life with almost difficult to perceive differences.

Yeah the tech advances this generation are already staggering, another ten years of engine and art improvements will be fuckimg incredible

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

LOL pretty much every comment under that video references the Star Wars aesthetic of the homestead concept art. Is Ryan Archer back at the company? And the inventory system - sheesh, the way Jared makes it sound like SC has developed something truly never seen before, a *gasp* drag and drop inventory box, oh to be alive in such times.

I don't like drag and drop inventory. I like to use a controller and anything that doesn't let me use a controller is kind of junk.

Maybe I'm in the old minority these days but I personally like how the clunkiness we had to deal with the the 90's and early 2K of gaming has gotten some good UI attention and improvement.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Shazback posted:

SC development feels like a reverse cookie clicker game at this point. Less and less is happening despite more and more resources being thrown at it.

This is a hallmark definition of when a team is generally working on some legacy software that has reached critical mass and the ultimate solution is to rewrite it from ground up.

When it's your video game that has never even come out yet, I'm not even sure what to say other than you made some very serious mistakes very early on and you're in major trouble.

Not that this is tremendous news to anybody. :shrug:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

happyhippy posted:

I highly doubt anybody has this problem.

Judging from the one time he was seen actually using a computer, he is not developing anything at all in a programming world on a computer anywhere.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

The Titanic posted:

Judging from the one time he was seen actually using a computer, he is not developing anything at all in a programming world on a computer anywhere.

I’m sure he’s using the far, far more pernicious and effective “if I can distill this feature into a pithy one sentence description, then it’s easy to implement” approach to torturing his devs.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'd classify CRs computer savviness as being in the realm of "zoom and enhance" where in he more or less looks like he knows enough to fool people watching a TV show who also don't know how to use a computer.

Go ahead and prove me wrong and have him do a YouTube video of him digging into the physics code he's working on.

Or have him make a video of him playing his own video game.

Either of these will be fine. If you can show me him playing his game I will immediately believe he is also a AAAA programmer capable of writing the next GTA game by himself. I'm super easy to appease here. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I’m sure he’s using the far, far more pernicious and effective “if I can distill this feature into a pithy one sentence description, then it’s easy to implement” approach to torturing his devs.

Yup. This I fully believe.

I fully believe that once he has an idea, he believes the hard part is done. Programming it is basically child's play. And if he goes into more detail and says something like "and we want to plug this box into the gravity system so it can stick to the ceiling when the ship goes upside down" he basically gave you some critical loving code assistance there on how to achieve your goal and you better loving get it right and thank him for his help in solving the problem.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 18, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

I can only imagine being a dev going about my work day, when suddenly a bulbous and sweaty thumb of a man bursts into my cubicle; stammering and hands flailing wildly as he tries to explain to me the intricate changes that he wants to the shoelaces of some background NPC.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

colonelwest posted:

Working remotely has got to be tough for Chris since he can’t randomly sit down next to devs and tell them to scrap and redo all of their work anymore. Or maybe now he just shows up at their homes unannounced.

This is actually a really interesting point, I imagine Chris just sort of wandering around interfering with things as and when he chooses or sees something that doesn't look like it was copied from the last movie he saw.

Hard to do that via Teams.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

:wth: Play the game Chris! Go ahead, take the time to appreciate the fruits of your labour. There's no shame in pausing the mad rush to just stop and appreciate your work. :wth:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The developers are probably dealing with Chris much in the same way that Trump’s babysitters handle him: by straight up lying and showing him custom-made jpgs that in No way represent reality.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I picture him being more of the type to leave a red wine-toothed voicemail on some poor dev's phone late at night about having to implement bladders and a character comfort system.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Going by Crobberts "one year in" quote in 2012, the 3ds is around the same age as Star Citizer. It's been announced that Nintendo has stopped production, so that's another platform that SC's pre-alpha phase has outlived.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Tippis posted:

USB? I think you're over-estimating Chris' computer-things-up-to-dated-ness.
It'll be on zip disks.

Chris prefers thumb drives.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

This is actually a really interesting point, I imagine Chris just sort of wandering around interfering with things as and when he chooses or sees something that doesn't look like it was copied from the last movie he saw.

Hard to do that via Teams.

Chris has ordered and shipped custom tablets on segways to each employees house so he can monitor their work flow.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, one of the best looking, most anticipated and, based on the devs previous games, best promising game of 2020, Cyberpunk 2077, just posted their hardware requirements.

What's the beast that will allow players to enjoy Night City? Will they all need RTX2080s or even 3080s?

Nah man, just use whatever. A GTX780 is crazy low for a game like that, holy hell. I know it's minimum, but even having the 1060 listed as "recommended" is ridiculously low for this year.
Imagine even trying to play SC on that "recommended" setup, you'd get maybe 15FPS.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Reasons to stop being negative and embrace Star Citizen:

You know it's just Derek Smart orchestrating an attack because he doesn't have the success that SC does.

I'm still waiting for my orders.. hello? Bueller?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Ok hear me out: Ships should be NFTs on Ethereum to allow for free markets for ships posted:

For some context: I was having a quick joke with my buddy about how much money I've spent in ships. I'm also an Engineer on Ethereum applications, and am into decentralized gaming. He said, "wow you're an idiot, you wasted your money". At that moment it was kind of strange since I never really thought about Ethereum and digtial NFTs, and Star Citizen. I just responded without thinking, "actually this stuff will eventually be tokenized, and I'll likely be able to sell them as digital assets within 4-5 years". It kind of rolled of the tongue so fast I didn't even realize what I said, and I never really thought about Star Citizen ships as investments until now, but I think it's something people should be aware of as SC takes more and more time to build, and as the decentralized gaming space continues to take of. It almost has to tokenize assets in game to compete if it's planning a release in the next 5 years.

The short and sweet: These Star Citizen ships will eventually be tokenized, and they're going to be worth a lot of money on the free market.

I'm not sure if you're into decentralized technologies, but Ethereum has a massive market for NFTs that I'm predicting will be the location of our ships. The narrative is changing in the space where we're planning for an entire economy based on hyperbarterization. The lines between money and goods is blurred in this world, where you can own 5% of a house and claim on it's returns like a money, or you have multiple USD dollars competing as technologies like goods.

Star Citizen is actually taking so long to build, it seems like it will have to tokenize since it will launch in a group of games that inevitably will be connected to the blockchain. Tokenized gaming is going to be pretty massive. All you need is access to the Ethereum network, and you can trade, speculate, etc. Not to mention, it's a massively easy way to remain relevant as gaming switches to free-market items and trading. What better way to drive ship sales than to say, "Look, you can likely sell these things on the free-market later for a higher price". There's a lot to say about the legal implications of this, but since they already take your credit card information on ships, there's nothing stopping them from giving you a transferable NFT that can be associated with an in-game character for ship ownership. You could even have digital organizations (DAOs in our land) that own the NFTs, and have control over the associations, meaning they could "lease" ships to org members or anyone else, while still retaining control of the hull itself.

I just don't think Robert can say no to this. Again, the game is taking so long to build, he's going to have to design new elements of the game to compete with up and coming technologies. An MMO alone just isn't going to cut it anymore if there's a game down the street where people are earning real income playing it. Star Citizen is kind of on track to possibly be a leader in the space if the decision is made to start running with that model, and could rocket adoption even more. I know we're all ship buying degens, but the top could blow off if we add "blockchain" to the "Spaceship MMO". EVE online was huge as people ran and worked in the economy inside the game, but once that economy merges with the real world, things are going to get really weird, really fast. Hope you're all ready for the ride.

P.S. Some other games that have tokenized assets on Ethereum, that are trading on the free market:

Axie Infinity

Aavegotchi

Gods Unchained

Cryptokitties

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I wonder how much all these bitcoin ships will be worth when the game turns out to be poo poo?

Should I still invest now to make the most of it???

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/E8VOv7i.gifv

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

found in imp zone

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mirificus posted:

Blockchain Nonsense

This guy might as well ask that CIG be sold to Russian Oligarchs and turned into a full-time money laundering scheme. Hey, they might actually even finish and release Star Citizen as a lovely mobile gotcha game, which would be better than the nothing that you’re getting now.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ-PdnhrmCE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

No need, SC jpeg ships are already a crypto currency. Grey market has been doing a "fine" job of that.