Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not dodgy at all the jewish chronicle comparing a person to a virus

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1306884944535449600?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

They've said "loving Tory oval office" in the Lords before as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUP9YaoFsws

Unrelated news:
https://twitter.com/ShehabKhan/status/1306914077894209538

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BORN TO LIE / HOUSE IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 1649 / I am trash man / 410,757,864,530 UNELECTED PEERS

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

The problem with this bit is it's no more ridiculous than stuff that's posted to twitter earnestly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

loving hell he was a thundercat back then too :prepop:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Skarsnik posted:

loving hell he was a thundercat back then too :prepop:

Paed-o

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
What do people get out of acting believably lovely on twitter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A column in the Spectator if they're good at it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

What do people get out of acting believably lovely on twitter

It's funny to wind up very earnest people sometimes. Also I suspect he didn't think it would be very believable when he talked about the pain of being known as 'curry club' and 'guest ale' when working on the Telegraph culture desk.

If you can't immediately spot that as a joke you should recalibrate a little.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

they're gonna avoid having to do a second national lockdown by just locking down everywhere in individual areas

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Shameless bonus lunchtime plug for the latest podsode:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1306681915894890496?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see Liz Truss has got a position with the US DOJ.
https://oig.justice.gov/sites/default/files/reports/20-104.pdf

quote:

Several DOJ officials cited the possibility of individuals using a drone offensively by arming it with firearms or explosives and targeting persons on the ground. As drone technology evolves, BOP officials told us that future devices may even have payload capabilities that could allow for the lifting of an adult out of a prison.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/berniebromanny/status/1306788092347650050?s=20

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge orders close at midnight Saturday!

This will be the last chance to order for probably a couple of months, so get in or miss out! A quick recap of everything follows below to save having you scroll through the thread history.

Flavours available this month are as follows:

Vanilla
Milk Chocolate
Dark Chocolate
White Chocolate and Raspberry
PSF (pumpkin spiced fudge)

The goon special is ‘Beans Up The Backside’- vanilla fudge with jelly beans.

£3.50 per 100gr bag, £15 for a five bag selection box, plus postage (£3.70 on orders up to a kilo; larger orders will vary.)

As always, drop me a pm here or to the Facebook page (fb.me/fudjit) or an email to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com to place an order.

Cheers guys!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 18, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Tucker Carlson perpetually looks like someone trying to pick something from the KFC menu but not recognising any of the pictures

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

BORN TO LIE / HOUSE IS A gently caress / Kill Em All 1649 / I am trash man / 410,757,864,530 UNELECTED PEERS

Going to tell my kids the overton window is the window through which richard overton shot the entire house of lords in the bum with a longbow.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Sep 18, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

Going to tell my kids the overton window is the window through which richard overton shot the entire house of lords in the bum with a longbow.

The Overton window is just opposite Victoria station

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think the hukou permit system was used as a means to deny workers health care while forcing them to live and work in the cities and so they would not have to spend money on expanding the health care and other infrastructure to match the increased need.

If they really wanted to help people in the rural areas IMO they could've spent some money on infrastructure and education where they where living, instead of doing stuff like building ghost cities. This made me wonder if they're trying to make people move into those places, or if they want them as fuel for their existing factory hubs / just a way to depress wages.

well, they are

China's a big place, highways and infrastructure take years to build. Both the West and the Northeast are in catch-up mode right now - the underdeveloped West and the overdeveloped, rust-belt Northeast alike. Although modern China has grown very rapidly, it's worth remembering that Deng opened up China in 1978. That's four decades ago now. The boom times took two decades to set in. Things take time.

in the meanwhile, a few hundred million people are unwilling to be told to wait another generation for development to come to them, when they could move right now to the cities that opened up a generation ago

it's economic migration in the same way that should be familiar to Western countries

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Any opinions on who to vote for for Unison general secretary?

e: it seems I'm being a bit too quick, it's still at the Branch nomination stage. My fellow members are expressing a preference for "nobody extreme".

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 18, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/thugclive/status/1306932617338593294?s=19

This is all getting very confusing. I think we need to hear from Tim on the matter.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

It's funny to wind up very earnest people sometimes. Also I suspect he didn't think it would be very believable when he talked about the pain of being known as 'curry club' and 'guest ale' when working on the Telegraph culture desk.

I found that the most believable part to be honest

I don't do twitter and I'm not very good at it though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I think the hukou permit system was used as a means to deny workers health care while forcing them to live and work in the cities and so they would not have to spend money on expanding the health care and other infrastructure to match the increased need.

If they really wanted to help people in the rural areas IMO they could've spent some money on infrastructure and education where they where living, instead of doing stuff like building ghost cities. This made me wonder if they're trying to make people move into those places, or if they want them as fuel for their existing factory hubs / just a way to depress wages.

The first part sure, but how are they forced to live and work in the cities? If anything it's the opposite, it prevents people from rural areas from moving into cities.

I mean yes, the living standards are far better in the cities, but that's the same as saying people in eastern Europe are "forced" to move to western European countries.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 18, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Tucker Carlson perpetually looks like someone trying to pick something from the KFC menu but not recognising any of the pictures

Id like to see a kier x tucker interview where they both just stare at eachother in bemused confusion

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

peanut- posted:

that's exactly how sheltered and sensitive the average journo is though

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Right, I've been searching for ages but to no avail so now I consult this thread, font of all knowledge that it is.

I have some podcasts on my android phone (by which I mean mp3 files) and I need an audio player that has a "skip 15 seconds back" feature. Music players tend not to have this, and all the podcast players can't seem to play a locally downloaded mp3 (unless I downloaded via their podcast database, which is no good)

Anyone happen to know of an app that can help me?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Right, I've been searching for ages but to no avail so now I consult this thread, font of all knowledge that it is.

I have some podcasts on my android phone (by which I mean mp3 files) and I need an audio player that has a "skip 15 seconds back" feature. Music players tend not to have this, and all the podcast players can't seem to play a locally downloaded mp3 (unless I downloaded via their podcast database, which is no good)

You can add your own files to Pocket Casts.

You can also customise the skip forwards/back buttons to be any amount of time you want.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Musicolet has a fast forward/rewind feature with a configurable duration.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can entirely believe that Telegraph journalists are big enough cunts to call someone that and have a hilarious chortle over it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

This is all getting very confusing. I think we need to hear from Tim on the matter.
As if he knows who all his kids are.

Dabir posted:

Reminder:

:hmmyes:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Someone mentioned in the previous thread about cooking chicken kievs with a bit of bread beneath it to make garlic bread.

I just wanted to ask do you put the bread in at the same time as the kiev? If I have frozen bread should I thaw it first?

The whole thing sounds delicious but I want to get it right.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

You can add your own files to Pocket Casts.

You can also customise the skip forwards/back buttons to be any amount of time you want.

Perfect, thanks! I'll also be checking out Musicolet :)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1306955615789633536

Takes three tweets to say nothing at all only to round it off with that sentence. Just beyond useless

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Podcast Addict can play local files and skip back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Someone mentioned in the previous thread about cooking chicken kievs with a bit of bread beneath it to make garlic bread.

I just wanted to ask do you put the bread in at the same time as the kiev? If I have frozen bread should I thaw it first?

The whole thing sounds delicious but I want to get it right.
I do it at the same time as the kiev.

I don't freeze bread though, so I don't know what effect that would have. Would be interesting, that would probably work well if the kievs were also frozen and you used the cook from frozen time/heat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Gonna eat a cheeky Nandos to protect the NHS and save lives and Labour will support it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

I do it at the same time as the kiev.

I don't freeze bread though, so I don't know what effect that would have. Would be interesting, that would probably work well if the kievs were also frozen and you used the cook from frozen time/heat.

So the bread does not burn even though it was in the oven for 20 odd minutes? Ok! I will try it tonight with a piece of frozen bread :) Will give it a go!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://shop.openhouselondon.org.uk/

Papercraft models of famous London buildings, and I have to admit to letting out an involuntary squeal when I got to the third row.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Kiev Starmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I can quite see an explosion in covid cases in approx 2 weeks from now. I just had to go up the high street for something forgetting entirely that it was chucking out time at the local comprehensive school.

The street and bus station were absolutely HEAVING with hundreds of teenagers: no exercising any social distancing, only 1 or 2 wearing masks (and they looked to be the type that would probably get asthma - overweight and red-faced), and no attempt to move to one side of a pavement - perhaps walking 2-3 abreast instead of 10 or more moving in amorphous blob formation, thus forcing anyone who wanted to socially distance out into the road.