Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I never worked in a call center but I have a crippling fear of phones anyway. I want to blame my years of getting abused by customers working at geek squad but I had problems before then, too. So it's probably that I'm just an anti-social goon. Even in high school, I never called my friends. I'd just wait to see them at school the next day if I had to tell them something.

I worked at my previous position for like 8 years and my phone would ring every 5-10 minutes. I only survived because the vast majority of those calls were 30 seconds routine nonsense from the same people who I eventually developed a professional relationship with. But every so often I'd get a call from someone I didn't recognize who sounded unsure of what they needed and suddenly my stomach would drop and I'd start getting cold chills before they even got into it. Sometimes it was nothing, sometimes a single phone call would ruin my entire week. Still, it was rare enough that it wasn't really a problem, and I was so god drat good at my job I was able to just go full robot and quote process out of my way out of any situation. For a while I thought I got over my weird things with phones. Eventually I even started calling in my Chinese food ahead of time instead of just going there and ordering in person! I even made my own doctors appointments!

Then, about a year and a half ago, they laid off our 2nd NOC and sprung on us that we were taking over all their responsibilities. Then, a month ahead of schedule, with no warning at all, while my director was in another country and nothing was finalized yet, executive management just up and fired the entire team and told us we were going live starting now. The whole thing was a disaster, but to stay on topic with phones, they just cutover the old IVR options for them to my department. Problem was, a few new departments were spun off to handle business and carrier customers that were put on different options, but nobody told us that. Also, all options on the IVR would fail over to us if the intended recipient didn't pick up. Since the new departments were understaffed, that means we fielded all their calls and didn't even understand what the service even was.

My phone anxiety went through the roof. I started dreading going to work. We were getting double the phone calls as normal, and almost all of them we had to tell them you dialed the wrong number. Oh you did dial the option I gave you? Uhh, try again in a few minutes I guess? My non-customer facing department became ground zero for every angry business customer in the company. I started screening phone calls and did my best to be on the phone as often as possible with our local people who I already knew. When we went full WFH, I realized there was no accountability so I just straight up stopped answering the phone. My coworkers knew, and complained, but gently caress them, I don't care and everyone knew I was on my way out anyway. Plus, at that point, anybody with anything important to say switched to e-mail or teams, so almost all of our phonecalls were dumb pointless bullshit.

My new position is on the same IVR, but we're wayyyy on the bottom, so low that most people gave up listening to the options by then. My phone rings maybe once a week. Sometimes I don't pick up because I don't feel like it. I like my new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

dragonshardz posted:

The whole...what, like two blocks of it?

Dunno, mate, I don't go down there anymore. It sucked enough before the protests.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Pagerduty has phoned me more times than everyone else ever has combined. Twice.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Schadenboner posted:

This is also why we don't use them in :gop:!

Ahahahaha that is the best smilie for the US right now

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The reasons for the lack of metric adoption in the U.S. are probably more tied to the lack of an effective administrative state (especially from c. 1980 onwards) which I'd really trace back to the multipolar insanity of federalism but, you know: it's all a complex melange of poo poo and I'll just call it "Capitalism" as shorthand?

:shrug:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schadenboner posted:

The reasons for the lack of metric adoption in the U.S. are probably more tied to the lack of an effective administrative state (especially from c. 1980 onwards) which I'd really trace back to the multipolar insanity of federalism but, you know: it's all a complex melange of poo poo and I'll just call it "Capitalism" as shorthand?

:shrug:

It's because metric is gay and european and communist. Unless you're in the military then it's super manly operator poo poo

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I like Fahrenheit because 0 is pretty cold and 100 is pretty hot and it's not hard to remember 32 degrees is freezing. For daily life, it is a good scale. It's poo poo for science, of course, but for actual life conditions it's good.

Aside from that, going metric would be cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A scale based on 12 so you can divide it up easily is p cool tho

Wish we all had six fingers, would have saved us so much poo poo

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Why stop there? Base 16 would have been even better.

Although there go your easy thirds though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

shortspecialbus posted:

Why stop there? Base 16 would have been even better.

Although there go your easy thirds though.

Yeah exactly. Sixths too, they're not without their uses. More so than fifths anyway

Binary sequence measures work well for liquids though because it's easy to distribute something by pouring out half of it until the levels are equal

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 18, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Yeah exactly. Sixths too, they're not without their uses.

Binary sequence measures work well for liquids though because it's easy to distribute something by pouring out half of it until the levels are equal

That's also why cloud cover is measured in "oktas" (eighths).

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I need to go create a gently caress you measuring system where all the units are relatively prime to each other.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I like metric for volumes/small sizes but miles for proper distances and fahrenheit for temps?

It's me: I'm the problem.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I once worked with a Kelvin and a Rankine at the same time and it made me happy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to start using the Delisle scale for temperature.

Summer was nice this year, it's been down to 105 degrees for all of July. Not looking forward to 160 degree winters though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Data Graham posted:

the first number systems are base 12 precisely because we only have five fingers. if we had six fingers we'd have just gone to base 15.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Schadenboner posted:

I like metric for volumes/small sizes but miles for proper distances and fahrenheit for temps?

It's me: I'm the problem.

This is me because of 3D printing.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Raise your hand if you're in the middle of a massive connectivity issue.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What, like, emotionally?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

No, that's a normal day.

Our VPN just poo poo the bed company wide, and it looks like it's a bigger issue, but it's hard to tell.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

No, that's a normal day.

Our VPN just poo poo the bed company wide, and it looks like it's a bigger issue, but it's hard to tell.

Are you on the team that manages the VPN

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I have at least one (Lumen) CenturyLink site offline.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Are you on the team that manages the VPN

Nope. Just a client, fortunately.

Looks like there were/are some blips out on the greater internet, and it caused all of our current VPN connections to go stale.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

I like Fahrenheit because 0 is pretty cold and 100 is pretty hot and it's not hard to remember 32 degrees is freezing. For daily life, it is a good scale. It's poo poo for science, of course, but for actual life conditions it's good.

Aside from that, going metric would be cool.

I like Rankine tbh, it was a nice 531.67°R today

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

kensei posted:

I have at least one (Lumen) CenturyLink site offline.

If CenturyLink caused this poo poo again I'm gonna lol.

That's a good way to get your poo poo nationalized.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ticket time: 6:18 am

ticket subject: no connection again this morning

ticket body: embedded image of speedtest run 3 minutes before successfully

:confused:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soylent Pudding posted:

I need to go create a gently caress you measuring system where all the units are relatively prime to each other.

It's not much of a measuring system; Any dividing factor or multiple of gently caress you is done so against a constant of zero fucks able to be given.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

AlexDeGruven posted:

If CenturyLink caused this poo poo again I'm gonna lol.

That's a good way to get your poo poo nationalized.

As per the last update I got from our NOC, it is a LEC (Spectrum) issue.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm going to start using the Delisle scale for temperature.

Summer was nice this year, it's been down to 105 degrees for all of July. Not looking forward to 160 degree winters though.

Delisle always makes my head hurt a little bit the first time I read it, then I remember how it works and the headache goes away.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Fahrenheit is the superior measuring system because it's a beautiful 69 degrees out right now

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Fahrenheit is the superior measuring system because it's a beautiful 69 degrees out right now

Nice

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nice

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I want to use whatever temp scale that weather forecaster in Phoenix was using when his screen was saying everything was like 1754 and 2386 degrees

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Data Graham posted:

I want to use whatever temp scale that weather forecaster in Phoenix was using when his screen was saying everything was like 1754 and 2386 degrees

That was just Fahrenheit - it's Phoenix, after all.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
The only acceptable unit of measurement is Kelvin so we can accurately measure the inevitable heat death of the universe.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
“Wickenburg is a total loss” Well, he’s not wrong about that..

https://youtu.be/iXuc7SAyk2s

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Soon enough you'll have a scorching 69C too in some places.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weaponized Autism posted:

The only acceptable unit of measurement is Kelvin so we can accurately measure the inevitable heat death of the universe.

Rankine is superior for that.

After all, it allows for more granular measurement of exactly when it all stops

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Rankine is superior for that.

After all, it allows for more granular measurement of exactly when it all stops

Doesn't it all stop at 0, regardless of Kelvin or Rankine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In the twitter "2+2=5" debate I saw some physicist explain how Kelvin only applies to ideal gasses, so with crystaline structures and how they absorb or release energy it's actually possible to get to significantly below zero. They were talking like -400 K.