Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Buy Vallejo Metal Colors, they dont clump and are the best metals out there. Not Vallejo Game/Model metallics. I'm talking about their separate range. I mean these:
https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/metal-color-en/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the vma metallics come pre-thinned and flow off the brush nicely. they cover less well than you usually expect from most lines of metallic paints though so you always need at least two coats

they’re also all too bright, even the gunmetal one is way too shiny unless you mix a little black into it

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

the vma metallics come pre-thinned and flow off the brush nicely. they cover less well than you usually expect from most lines of metallic paints though so you always need at least two coats

they’re also all too bright, even the gunmetal one is way too shiny unless you mix a little black into it

I feel like that's fine, gives you base to use your inks on.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Cross-post from the 40k thread:

Funzo posted:

The first of my Storm Lords are more or less done. Aside from some atrocious recess shading it turned out ok. I think I want to try contrast paints on one and see how it goes. I may regret picking this chapter but I’ve wanted to paint some ever since the 3rd ed. Armageddon book.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I think the Metal Colors are meant for airbrushing, but as with the GW Air colors, they also happen to be perfect out of the pot for brushing.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I don't remember who said it, but drybrushing metals over black is, IMO, the best use for them. Leadbelcher over black templar contrast is my favourite colour at the moment.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

inscrutable horse posted:

I don't remember who said it, but drybrushing metals over black is, IMO, the best use for them. Leadbelcher over black templar contrast is my favourite colour at the moment.

Now I really need to figure out on what model I can try that as well because my curiosity is piqued.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This is actually how I batch painted those drones and how I usually paint the metal parts of the mech suits (typically just the legs and arms). Black primer then lazy drybrush. I do this stage first so I can be messy then the rest of the colors go on. If some of the coverage looks weird I'll touch it up with a regular style wet brush. If the drybrushing was too sloppy and some got in the recesses, or the recesses don't look dark enough, I'll pin wash a little bit. Then sponge a little runefang steel or iron breaker and a tiny bit of black then you're done.

For guns etc that's usually one of the middle things I paint so that's been the regular wet brush application of leadbelcher then nuln oil all over then sponge leadbelcher then sponge black then light sponge iron breaker or runefang. Sounds like a lot of steps but it's super easy.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

can you post a shot of that Leadbelcher over BT?

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
The last three Wraithguard... until I decide to replace my metal ones with the newer versions (lol, fook that)...

I am soooooo happy not to have to paint a hand holding the underside of a gun... for a while.

Going to bring some other models up to date (Farseer) and maybe strip and repaint my Warp Spiders.

Other than that, onto my Chaos Knights.

Spiv fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 18, 2020

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

^burtle posted:

can you post a shot of that Leadbelcher over BT?

Sure, but it'll have to wait till morning. It's midnight over here, and you can't really see what's going on with my light setup :D

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't remember who said it, but drybrushing metals over black is, IMO, the best use for them.

I'm old enough to remember when this was the advice in the official GW painting guide.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished my two new white kobolds. Included my old white kobold and my white dragon cultist for scale.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished my two new white kobolds. Included my old white kobold and my white dragon cultist for scale.

white looks good on a kobold

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sure, but it'll have to wait till morning. It's midnight over here, and you can't really see what's going on with my light setup :D

No worries at all, I spent the day rebottling so no painting for me until tomorrow. Thank you!

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Drybrushing silver over black is literally how we all used to do chainmail back in ye olden days.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yep, and there's a reason that we've collectively stopped doing it: it looks like poo poo.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

... I still do my chainmail like that :)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

BT + Leadbelcher drybrush:

Conventional painting on the head-piece:

The difference is minimal. For that rough, cast iron look, that I'm going for in my AdMech limbs, I sure prefer just slapping on one coat of contrast and using my dedicated drybrush, rather than fouling one of my good brushes with the rough, metallic-painting life.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I really like using Tamiya Weathering metals over black. I wish I had some good pics of it in action but I suck at taking photos of my minis.
Its super easy to apply but it has some disadvantages...
Since it’s kinda waxy you need to apply a bit of pressure when applying so it’s not good for small and fragile bits.
You have to apply it with a sponge applicator so it’s not very precise and best applied before any other colors on the model.
It can be difficult to touch-up if you get sloppy with other colors.

So it can’t be applied everywhere, but when you can, it looks great.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Actually remembering to crosspost over for once :v:

ro5s posted:

Crabposting

And of course, more gaunts. I ran out of grass so they'll get based at some future point.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I like that drybrush a lot, may have to try it for some vehicles. Thanks for the photos!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I do it the other way around. Basilicanum Gray contrast over steel is my gofast recipe for metal these days.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You probably know the drill by now.

My old black kobold, my two new black kobolds, and my black dragon cultist for scale!

The camera doesn't pick it up well unless I use the flash (the naked eye doesn't either unless you're looking for it), but their skin is ever so slightly green. I gave them reddish leathers and red cloth to try to make the green pop a little, but I'm not entirely sure that worked.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

white looks good on a kobold

They're definitely my favorite so far. Time to see if blue or green can eclipse them!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 18, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Does anyone have any display solution recommendations? Right now a solid 1/4 of my work table is just full of painted minis, and uhh... I should put them somewhere else.

I know about the Ikea glass shelf but there's not one near me and it's like $60+ to ship.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

ro5s posted:

Actually remembering to crosspost over for once :v:

What is your secret to good looking grass?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Does anyone have any display solution recommendations? Right now a solid 1/4 of my work table is just full of painted minis, and uhh... I should put them somewhere else.

I know about the Ikea glass shelf but there's not one near me and it's like $60+ to ship.

Even at $60 to ship its probably better than other options. Last I looked there is nothing remotely competitive with the price thats equally useful. I got 2 and want more now.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
2nd hand? Normally you can get quite a bargain on used tables and shelves. That's how I built my painting corner.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

SERPUS posted:

What is your secret to good looking grass?

I don’t do anything fancy, it’s just javis static grass, pva on the base where I want it and dunk the whole thing in the bag. For something big like the exocrine it’s similar, glue on a section, dump some grass on, shake off the excess then on to the next bit.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Some pictures of an Ogre I finished up on Monday. Sorry the first picture is kind of blurry.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I am going to call myself out and say that sometimes I will start brushing on paint right after gluing a model together. Don't do this, ever.

I ruined the #2 from my first set of sable brushes this way. A sad day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Refind Chaos posted:

Some pictures of an Ogre I finished up on Monday. Sorry the first picture is kind of blurry.

Looks like he wants me out of his swamp. I love it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting from the 40k thread because I posted there when I thought I was posting here:

Cthulu Carl posted:

Got a question about conversions/kitbashes, namely, anyone got some examples of good Inquisitor conversions?

For some reason, I've got a hankering to build a diorama of an Inquisitor and retinue fighting a... Daemon or something. I was thinking about using a Stormcast as the foundation, but I think they might be too tall.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Lots more Romans

DBA Polybian Roman army is done!

1 equites w/ general
1 equites
2 velites
6 hastati/principes
2 triarii

I'm very happy with how everything turned out. Now I have 12 bases of later Carthaginians to paint up and I can play a game against myself.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting Ze Germans I’ve been working on:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Got my first batch of Germans (mostly) done up.

I still need to do some small detail work on the infantry, like the collars, epaulettes and transfers once they come in.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What's a good color to shade shadows for Vallejo Khaki/Zandri Dust with? Starting with Khaki leans a little too light after highlighting/not enough contrast. I am trying to generally avoid washes.

My first instinct for the shadow layer would be Vallejo US Field Drab or Tan Earth.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Phi230 posted:

What's a good color to shade shadows for Vallejo Khaki/Zandri Dust with? Starting with Khaki leans a little too light after highlighting/not enough contrast. I am trying to generally avoid washes.

My first instinct for the shadow layer would be Vallejo US Field Drab or Tan Earth.

I really like shading browns by mixing a touch of dark blue into my midtone, but if you just want to make the overall color a little darker you could just do a couple glazing passes with a slightly darker brown, pulling your brush from the midtones towards the shadows.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Cross-posting from the 40k thread because I posted there when I thought I was posting here:

Definitely google Inq28 and Aos28, pretty sure that's exactly what you're looking for - Inq28 is a group of painters / modellers trying to adapt Inquisitor to a 28mm scale game, and they place a really heavy emphasis on conversions. Aos28 is the same deal except adapting it for a fantasy setting, so more of a Mordheim flavor with lots of witch hunters / inquisitors, etc. Both groups are pretty firmly entrenched in the "grimdark" aesthetic, which might not be your thing, but they are an incredible source for converting / sculpting things that sound right up your alley.

edit: Anecdotally, there's a decent number of Stormcast conversions that look good, though obviously not quite to scale with other humans, but a couple boxes that get a lot of use are the Empire Flagellants kit and the Cawdor gang from Necromunda.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 20, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hey painter goons, me and my gf are going to try out some miniature painting and ordered a basic set of supplies to start out. The one thing we didn't buy because it confused me a lot is washes/shades and I'd love to get some info on them.

What we're looking for is something that you can use for most uses, should we just get some basic black or brown wash? Do you need all the different shades? I also read a lot about how you can mix your own, but there's so many ressources that it's difficult to figure out what's good and what's not. Can we just thin down some normal paints with water or some thinning medium? Some pointers would be much appreciated.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yep, a pot of Nuln Oil and a pot of Agrax Earthshade will handle 99% of your wash needs and will last you ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yep, a pot of Nuln Oil and a pot of Agrax Earthshade will handle 99% of your wash needs and will last you ages.

Perfect, thanks!