Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
The Boys Season 2: Symbolism so blunt even goons can understand it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

my FB feed.

there it is

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

It basically took characters on the show to point at Stormfront and call her a racist for some to get it.

And the showrunners to say she's Liberty, who is a racist.

e-

Now the argument is that's shes racist but not a nazi!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

magiccarpet posted:

there it is
Do you not have any family or friends who are conservative? I certainly do.

I love that they release the show on Thursday night. Have they confirmed the next season yet?

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Dr. Video Games 0135 posted:

Some are still waiting for people to start Sieg Heil(ing)

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I know, I love the veiled JJ Abrams callout.

Didn’t someone say “Joss” punched up the script?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I loved how bad the movie was, seems like they were primarily taking a shot at the justice league movie but some of the jokes felt like the worst moments of Endgame too.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

‘I’m gay’ made me laugh out loud

The focus group on the acceptable way to be LGBTQ was pretty on the nose

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Azhais posted:

Which Abrams thing was he in? I figured it was more of a Heroes callback

He's in every Abrams movie. They're friends and Abrams makes sure he works.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009
Im really glad the guy that lost his dick to the unnamed ice supe is still around. I don't know why but I find his scenes with the other costume/ make up dude really funny every time.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beef Stew posted:

Im really glad the guy that lost his dick to the unnamed ice supe is still around. I don't know why but I find his scenes with the other costume/ make up dude really funny every time.

He's so enthusiastic about his job even though a supe cost him his weiner. God bless him.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

He should get a gecko® penis.

Gecko has no imagination, he could be selling organs instead of that weird fetish/cannibalism stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like that they showed what Homelander would do to a crowd of "normal" people with his laser eyes. That was loving terrifying.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

itry posted:

Gecko has no imagination, he could be selling organs instead of that weird fetish/cannibalism stuff.

That's a good point, I feel like vought has the resources and talent to give that guy a new dick. Hell, with how edgelord the comics are, I'm surprised that gecko isn't selling secondhand dicks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beef Stew posted:

He was one of the best parts of "Preacher" until Starr killed him.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Someone photoshop "Girls Get it Done" on top of the A-Force shot in Endgame.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The send-ups of Whedonisms as well as the parallels to Whedon Justice League (having the black guy forced to say uncharacterstic lines), with the fake Agent Coulsin and hordes of CG enemies in New York were hilarious. This whole episode was really good.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

itry posted:

Big pharma won't let him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He was one of the best parts of "Preacher" until Starr killed him.

Yeah, although he's been strongly typecast and plays the exact same character in Boys, Preacher and Better off ted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, although he's been strongly typecast and plays the exact same character in Boys, Preacher and Better off ted.

I also missed the fact that he and the Congresswoman are alumni from "Timeless."

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Victis posted:

The focus group on the acceptable way to be LGBTQ was pretty on the nose

Yeah, I kinda felt that one in my bones :smith:

also the desperate "I can't protect you" like from Maeve. The only way you can protect somebody (and therefore yourself) in that position is by giving the abuser exactly what they want, which is awful.

Dracula Factory posted:

That's a good point, I feel like vought has the resources and talent to give that guy a new dick. Hell, with how edgelord the comics are, I'm surprised that gecko isn't selling secondhand dicks.

Gecko brand skin treatment for burns. Just peels off his skin onto a spool, then it gets shipped to hospitals.

... Man, I wonder what his blood type is? Gecko is probably the most useful hero with "real world" applications. No more organ donor shortages, every 45 year old dude gets a full head of hair, etc etc etc.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i want a ben garrison parody drawing of stormfront now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beef Stew posted:

They're a fun parody of corpo bougies.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

tragedyjones posted:

Someone photoshop "Girls Get it Done" on top of the A-Force shot in Endgame.

There are better images of the group, but they're not shots from the actual scene in the movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Azhais posted:

Which Abrams thing was he in? I figured it was more of a Heroes callback

Are you serious? Almost all of them. Alias, Star Wars, Lost, Star Trek Beyond (Abrams was still a producer for that one), Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, etc. They're best friends, Abrams puts him in everything.

fake edit: Hell, I think he was even the voice of kid Kirk's step dad in Star Trek 2009 in the car scene.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Are you serious? Almost all of them. Alias, Star Wars, Lost, Star Trek Beyond (Abrams was still a producer for that one), Super 8, Mission: Impossible III, etc. They're best friends, Abrams puts him in everything.

fake edit: Hell, I think he was even the voice of kid Kirk's step dad in Star Trek 2009 in the car scene.

He was!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

boo_radley posted:

... Man, I wonder what his blood type is? Gecko is probably the most useful hero with "real world" applications. No more organ donor shortages, every 45 year old dude gets a full head of hair, etc etc etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henrietta_Lacks

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bioshuffle posted:

She is just awful in every way. Every time she is on screen I am distracted by her terrible overacting. Especially in scenes with Stomfront and Homefront. Soap opera tier acting is the worst. None of her actions make any sense at all and she is basically Peggy Hill.

I kinda agree. We get it, you're obnoxious and we're not supposed to like you. Homelander's terrible and murderous and awful in every way but still manages to be entertaining to watch.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If only there had been some indication in literally every other episode that Vought's heroes did movies.

Wait til you find out about the merchandising

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't get the feeling they were only going after JL. I think it was a mockery of the entire Blockbuster Superhero genre.

eSporks posted:

Big pharma won't let him.

:arghfist::tinfoil:

Tenzarin posted:

Super boring episode, they have the super heroes act in all their movies also? That's pretty lame.

The "heroes" in the show are just jackasses in costumes. Why wouldn't they feature in some PR movie?

itry fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 18, 2020

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hollismason posted:

I like that they showed what Homelander would do to a crowd of "normal" people with his laser eyes. That was loving terrifying.

I really liked how they showed that, yeah, he wants to do that, but recognizes how horrifying it would actually be in the aftermath. Homelander's got the mentality of a 13 year old boy, and Starr plays it amazinigly.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Tenzarin posted:

it's a parallel to the in-universe tie-in comic books in the comic, for modern mass audiences who don't read comics as much as they watch comic book movies

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I generally prefer the weekly release format, but drat, I really wanted to watch another episode after this one. Agree with some people's complaints re: Black Noir, but man that was a fun episode.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can see why people didn't like Black Noir this episode.

But remember you basically had to be a company man to get on to the Seven (aside from Stormfront who was put there without Homelanders approval). I could see why he's Edgars lap dog.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Also minor comic spoiler I guess but the congressman's name is Victoria Neuman, like "Vic the Veep" Neuman? Can't tell if that's something they're gonna actually incorporate or if it's just a little easter egg.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I love the Black Noir scenes. I know we're getting hammered over the head with it, but it's a great example how the Seven's images are more a result of marketing than reality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So evidently there's a reason there are three "Timeless" alums on The Boys - Eric Kripke. Goran Višnjić is the cult leader.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Romes128 posted:

I can see why people didn't like Black Noir this episode.

But remember you basically had to be a company man to get on to the Seven (aside from Stormfront who was put there without Homelanders approval). I could see why he's Edgars lap dog.
And Black Noir is the platonic ideal of "company man." He has no loving identity outside of Vought whatsoever. No voice, no face, no self-identified gender, no sexuality, no race, no ideology or worldview, nothing. Just a mask with a camera feed direct to the CEO (who he's associated with Handel's "Messiah").

I'm not going to rewatch it right now, but I bet that the kid's toy in the early episode was a Vought-branded product. In which case, he wasn't interacting with the child; he was loving advertising.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

spacetoaster posted:

I was kinda surprised at how bad noir's hiding was.

Unless it was on purpose as an intimidation tactic?

It seems like they can't make up their minds if he's a super ninja, or clumsy doofus.

I read it partly as a sight gag pointing out how silly Batman would be if he ever operated in the daytime. But also by that point he didn't really need to stay hidden - he was able to follow them and observe them without being noticed until the point that they were all sitting ducks inside a house, and it seems like his goal was a confrontation instead of just recon anyway.

It matches up with him doing stealthy takedowns on the terrorist compound guys but then just letting the last one blast him even though he obviously could have easily avoided it. I think he just likes intimidating / toying with people. MM said he can outrun a car so it's not like they could have gotten away from him anyway.